• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Stage discussion & counterpick thread*#3/4:Smashville and Final Destination*

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
ok, scince the old ones dead and ive stopped working on the IC's mtchup thread im kinda bored now, so i wanna make a thread for stage discussion for yoshi,here youll find what stages are good/bad for yoshi,what stage you should take your opponet, and what stages to avoid.

by going in neutral order(neutral stages first,then CP stages) using this format:

*yoshi's general advantage on a stage(Do's)
*general disadvantage(Dont's)
*character advanatage(on a certain character) on a stage(if any)
*disadvantage
*what chars. to take to the stage
*what chars you should avoid taking to said stage
*Overall(on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being awesome)how would you rate this stage for Yoshi?
*summary(i suck at theses so guys help out)

so shall we begin then?

Yoshi's Island [Brawl]
*general advantage:its a Yoshi stage, xD, there is no anvil edge, the edges have nice slants, the platform can give us a down b slide, and DR is really easy on account of the slopes.

*general disadvantage:shyguys block eggs sometimes, the tilting platform can mess up CGs on the chars we have them on..

*character advanatage on this stage:

*disadvantage:

*what chars. to take to this stage:

*what chars you should avoid taking here:

*Overall:
7/10

*Summary:a wildcard stage, if you're not sure about fighting a certain character,just go here,this is your best neutral stage, on the defensive, shyguys block projectiles and some attacks, the random platforms that pop up like to play with your luck just hope it dosent come out at the wrong time.

Battlefield
*general advantage:

*general disadvantage:pretty small stage can limit movement at times

*disadvantage:other characters have more/better options than yoshi when it comes to the small space and platforms
click this too see more about vsing MK on this stage
*what chars. to take to this stage:Marth?ICs,
Falco

*what chars you should avoid taking here:MK,Snake,GW,DDD,Samus, ZSS,Luigi

*Overall:
5/10

*Summary:
this stage is about prefrence, if youre the type of yoshi that mindgames with defenseve movements, then this stage is for you,if youre the type that needs lots of movement and spacing and dont prefer this somewhat cramped stage, stay as far away from this stage as possible

Smashville
*general advantage:flat stage for camping

*general disadvantage:

*disadvantage:snake, pika, and samus outcamp you here, and the moving platform makes MK even more campy

*what chars. to take to this stage:Marth,G&W,Ganon,Sheik

*what chars you should avoid taking here:MK,Pikachu,Samus,Falco,Wolf

*Overall:6/10

*Summary:
alternitave flat stage if FD isint doin it for you,good amount of room for spacing and camping

Final Destination
*general advantage:flat,campy stage

*general disadvantage:*see smashville* with less MK dair camping

*character advanatage on this stage:*see smashville*

*disadvantage:

*what chars you should avoid taking here:Falco,Snake,Diddy,ICs

*Overall:
6/10

*Summary:

Starter/Counter

Lylat Cruise
*general advantage:

*general disadvantage:

*disadvantage:

*Overall:this is a good stage simply because over half the cast will self gimp theirselves on the stage,yoshi however, is not one of them as long as you know the best methods to recover.you should never get gimped by the stage

*Summary:
7/10

Halberd
*general advantage:

*general disadvantage:

*disadvantage:

*Overall:5/10

*Summary:

Pokémon Stadium 1
*general advantage:

*general disadvantage:

*disadvantage:

*Overall:

*Summary:
5/10
Castle Siege
*general advantage:middle transformation has no walls so CGing is good here

*general disadvantage:

*character advanatage on this stage:easy kill on chars you can CG to the edge on the mid. transformation

*disadvantage:

*what chars. to take to this stage:MK

*what chars you should avoid taking here:peach,ZSS

*Overall:
6.5/10

*Summary:
Castle Siege is also good. In the first part, if you can keep the lower end of the stage, you have a nice advantage. It's harder to be approached, especially if you stick under the platform. The second part has statues which will block projectiles, a plus if you're fighting a character with annoying ones, and it's a walk off, so CG deaths there. The third is just a tilting FD, so it's good too.

Counter

Delfino Plaza
*general advantage:

*general disadvantage:

*disadvantage:

*what chars you should avoid taking here:MK

*Overall:6/10

*Summary:

Brinstar
*general advantage:

*general disadvantage:

*disadvantage:

*Overall:

*Summary:
4.5/10

Frigate Orpheon
*general advantage:

*general disadvantage:high ceiling

*disadvantage:

ZSS,Olimar,ICs,Bowser,Falcon,Falco,Ganon,Link,Sonic

*what chars you should avoid taking here:MK, Marth, G&W, Samus

*Overall:8/10

*Summary:omg i <3 this stage, so many people just dread when i pick it,this is another stage that gimps alot of characters, so its definatley a must in your list of counterpicks. this is one of those stage youll have to get used to playing on before you really wanna go here

Rainbow Cruise
*general advantage:low ceiling

*general disadvantage:low ceiling and walls

*character advanatage on this stage:bthrows on the left side are good for kills, top half uair kill lights-mids at 40-50%

*disadvantage: pretty much everything said above can be used on yoshi aswell and alot easier

*what chars. to take to this stage:Samus,Link,Ganon,Falcon,Ike

*what chars you should avoid taking here:Everyone else

*Overall:4.5/10

*Summary:
refrain from using this stage in excess, scince your advanatges are also your disadvanatges.
Jungle Japes
*general advantage:can recover well out of the water

*disadvantage:

*what chars. to take to this stage:Jigglypuff,Ike

*what chars you should avoid taking here:Wolf

*Overall:4/10

*Summary:

Pirate Ship
*general advantage:yoshi can fair spike for an easy kill

*general disadvantage:

*disadvantage:

*what chars you should avoid taking here:chars with better spikes(Ganon,Samus,Falco,Ness)

*Overall:
6.5/10

*Summary:

PictoChat
*general advantage:most drawings work in yoshi's favor like living longer or good camping ability

*general disadvantage:large ceiling

*disadvantage:

*Summary:

Pokémon Stadium 2
*general advantage:

*general disadvantage:the electric stage will mess with your recovering

*disadvantage:

*Overall:

*Summary:
5/10

Counter/Banned

Norfair
*general advantage:

*general disadvantage:

*character advanatage on this stage:vs Mario

*disadvantage:

*what chars. to take to this stage:Mario

*what chars you should avoid taking here:Sonic

*Overall:
5/10

*Summary:
Norfair is a very good stage for Yoshi against most characters. You can control the bottom platform and make it VERY difficult for an opponent to get in. Eggs can hit most of the stage from the bottom platform, and you can usmash through the middle ones. You can grab the opponent if they try to get in and throw them away and continue the defense of your bunker. However, it can also be very difficult for Yoshi to take the bottom platform back if you lose it. Never ever take Olimar or ROB there, because they will take it and they will **** you there.
Luigi's Mansion
*general advantage:

taking Jiggs to LM keeps her closer to the ground because of the ceiling, so it's easier to usmash or do whatever you'd like to stop her air moves. She may live longer because of the house though, but it shouldn't be a problem.

*disadvantage:

*Overall:
6.5/10

*Summary:
a stage for the defensive yoshi,by abusing the mansion you can tech and give more space between you and your oppponet
Distant Planet
*general advantage:

*general disadvantage:

*disadvantage:

*Summary:
Distant Planet is a good stage for us also. The slope is a great help for Yoshi. You can camp from the slope, and you can CG characters to their death on the walkoff. We even have an fthrow CG on some characters that we don't normally have a CG on going up the slope.
Green Greens
*general advantage:

*general disadvantage:

*disadvantage:

*Summary:

Yoshi's Island [Melee]
*general advantage:can CG to the edge and kill

*general disadvantage:

*disadvantage:

*Overall:
9/10

*Summary:
easily yoshi's best stage,easy camping and spacing, and the only true MK counter stage, however its rarely legal,but when it is dont think twice about picking it

Port Town Aero Dive
*general advantage:can approach from under the stage

*general disadvantage:cars kill at 40%

*disadvantage:

*what chars. to take to this stage:anyone dumb enough to pick it on you

*Overall:1/10

*Summary:
its delphino with cars that kill at 40%, dont even bother with this stage

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
pokemon stadium 2 is what i cp toon links. the 2 platforms to aviod the projectile tornado, and the changes in stage help in gettin in close with toon link.

id take mk to smashville?? idk but i feel battlefield feels natural to my yoshi this is usually my starting stage, i like taking d3 here (i havent played a g&w in a loooooong time so idk if id go there), i wanna say snake but i just thought of 20 things that would help snake here.

yoshi island brawl is where magical stuff happen, it just those things that cant happen twice (at least for me).

i dislike frigate orpehoen ALOT, like most ppl

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
updated.i put in personal summaries from my own experiences,i personally dont like battlefield scince there are chars that are more platform controllable there(like Marth,MK,GW)

i wanna hear more from you guys for this week, then well discuss each stage week by week

.Marik

is a social misfit
F*cking subscribed.

And woah woah woah, Rainbow Cruise is possibly Yoshi's best Counterpick. It's a lot better than 2/10, I've never lost a single match here in Tournaments or Friendlies as Yoshi.

I'll write a summary about it later, don't have the time right now.

Maybe.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I'm looking forward to hearing what some of you have to say about stage counterpicking. To be honest, it was poor counterpicking decisions on my part that cost me a top 4 placing in Singles, as well as the top spot in Low Tiers. I relied too heavily on Rainbow Cruise; it backfired against Marth and I kinda choked against Mario here. It's something I really need to work on.

Regarding the OP, I think Norfair is a little underestimated here. It can be very useful if used against the right characters. For example, I found great success against Mario; the stage design makes it much more difficult for him to use his Fireballs effectively, while Egg Toss can still see quite a bit of use. This simple change in the projectile game shifts the battle significantly in Yoshi's favour, from my experience.

:005:

Depster

Smash Champion
Halberd is a great Yoshi CP due to being able to come up from underneath. Castle siege is also a lot better than that, too, because the 3rd spot is just a tilty FD.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Halberd works well against Marth, though. Every time I counterpick that stage against Marth players they change characters (mostly to Snake, but I still win there anyways). XP

And woah. RC is one of Yoshi's best counterpicks. I'll let Marik handle that one, though. Just one thing: Link is actually pretty good there, so take that off of the characters we should take there.

:069:

D

Deleted member

You guys are wierd, RC is my ban, but ima start gettin good there so people will CP it against me cuz i always ban it :D

Uhh halberd is ok but not vs snake. Delphino is amazing, frigate is one of yoshis best stages against most characters.
Norfair is amaaazing, its banned but its prolly yoshis best imo :D

Pictochat is the best stage to take MK imo, after that id probably go delphino or something.
Yoshi's island is my favorite stage, all the cool slide trixies :D

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I find that Norfair is a very good stage for Yoshi against most characters. You can control the bottom platform and make it VERY difficult for an opponent to get in. Eggs can hit most of the stage from the bottom platform, and you can usmash through the middle ones. You can grab the opponent if they try to get in and throw them away and continue the defense of your bunker. However, it can also be very difficult for Yoshi to take the bottom platform back if you lose it. Never ever take Olimar or ROB there, because they will take it and they will **** you there.

In general, I think stages with platforms like Pokemon Stadium 1 are good for Yoshi. The platforms don't really get in the way of anything and they offer ways for us to get around projectiles.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
You guys are wierd, RC is my ban, but ima start gettin good there so people will CP it against me cuz i always ban it :D

Uhh halberd is ok but not vs snake. Delphino is amazing, frigate is one of yoshis best stages against most characters.
Norfair is amaaazing, its banned but its prolly yoshis best imo :D

Pictochat is the best stage to take MK imo, after that id probably go delphino or something.
Yoshi's island is my favorite stage, all the cool slide trixies :D
Interestingly, I find Frigate Orpheon to be one of Yoshi's worst stages. I agree with everything else you said, though.

:069:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think Frigate is good for Yoshi simply because on one part of it, you can't grab the ledge, which means they have to land on the stage, so you can time an Fsmash for the kill. Also, during the other part with the dip, you can camp the dip decently, which nets easy damage while being quite safe. Just don't let ROB or Olimar get in there.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Distant Planet is a good stage for us also. The slope is a great help for Yoshi. You can camp from the slope, and you can CG characters to their death on the walkoff. We even have an fthrow CG on some characters that we don't normally have a CG on going up the slope.

I hate Brinstar with a passion. It screws up my entire ground game, and Yoshi doesn't have an incredible enough air game to rely on for the whole match. Also, if you encounter a G&W, ban this stage. Really, ban it.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
so like, now i take Ike to jungle japes and RC now because he dies easily(although i was using jigs on RC,it can apply to yoshi)
halberd is a nice stage,however i probobly wont take Sonic there,unless you want an already even matchup to be even longer,even, and dragged out xD
what stage do you suggest taking jiggs to? i need a stage that can take away most of her arieal game...

Depster

Smash Champion
I'd just take Jiggs to a neutralish course. maybe Luigi's mansion even though everyone hates that stage?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Thinking about it more, taking Jiggs to LM keeps her closer to the ground because of the ceiling, so it's easier to usmash or do whatever you'd like to stop her air moves. She may live longer because of the house though, but it shouldn't be a problem.

I love Delfino. Walk offs for CGs, and the couple of spots that have a wall are great. I've done a Dsmash > Jab > Fsmash KO against the wall of the Shine Tower. It was so awesome.

Castle Siege is also good. In the first part, if you can keep the lower end of the stage, you have a nice advantage. It's harder to be approached, especially if you stick under the platform. The second part has statues which will block projectiles, a plus if you're fighting a character with annoying ones, and it's a walk off, so CG deaths there. The third is just a tilting FD, so it's good too.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
updated, k guys, well go stage by stage and move to the next after we get an agreeable ratio and summary,sounds good no?

anyways...this is a nice stage overall, so if youre going against a matchup youre not too sure about, id go here

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Honestly, I don't like this stage too much. The platform makes me feel really cramped, and since it covers a lot of the stage, getting down from it can be a pain if your opponent is keeping you up. Of course, this applies to you as well, I just have never been able to utilize it very well. The platform also screws with my eggs, along with the slants. The slants also mess up my aerials occasionally.

I'm pretty sure I just have a personal problem with this stage, since it messes with the way I like to play. I should practice on it more.

Depster

Smash Champion
I really think the biggest disadvantage here is that the shy guys like to get hit by eggs. Our biggest advantages seem to be that there is no anvil edge, the edges have nice slants, the platform can give us a down b slide, and DR is really easy on account of the slopes.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I pretty much hated YI for a looong time, then started loving it when I used DJC Egg Lay as my means of moving on that stage. Retreating DJCEL's get a lot more Egg Lay Fakes then you would think.

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
I really don'tcare for this stage. The Shy Guys get in the way of every egg is seems like. The combination of the weird slanted ground and the always shifting platform really mess up my chain grab.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Would this be a good stage to take Mario to? The slants would mess up his fireballs, so we wouldn't have as hard a time dealing with them.

Lol, I just noticed half the stage summaries are exactly what I said about them.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'd actually have liked to explore this stage more. We just need more people to post experience/ideas on it.

I fought Ace's MK here and got *****. So don't bring him here, it messes up your CG.

However, I'd like to say it's good at keeping a character closer to the ground, since there's a platform always overhead. I guess it would be good to keep Jiggles here so she doesn't have much air control. I'm hesitant to say it'll also be good to pick against Wario. It shouldn't ruin your options on release for him, so it's not necessarily bad in that manner.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
You shouldn't take mk to battlefield? What? Someone explain please... IMO it's our best nuetral in that matchup...

Oh and for YI... I don't really like it. the only one I really like taking here is lucario because of the small blast zones...

Y05H!

Smash Cadet
Personally I like battlefield, then again I don't have any experience against any hardcore MK's.
Big fan of YI as well, at least against character's where it's more difficult to abuse the grab release. That and it's home turf =)

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
why battlefeild sucks for vs MK:
he has better manuveabilty around platforms
usmash goes through the bottom 2
having such a lack of space always puts yoshi in a tight spot to not get easily punished

D

Deleted member

having such a lack of space always puts yoshi in a tight spot to not get easily punished
I thought it was because you cant CG, but it doesnt matter anyways. Its a decent stage vs MK, i like SV and Yoshis island better but FD sucks lol.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
His maneuverability is hindered by the platforms. Just camp under one, he can't dair camp in your face with the platforms, so you are safe to egg toss his approaches. If he aproaches with nado, just run back a lil and pivot egg roll across (it beats nado), and camp under the other platform.

The platforms make it easier to pivot grab because he has to stay under them. Grab release->Usmash pretty much every time from there. Anyway, the loss of cg and maneuverability is worth that camping spot at bf. The best thing is, it usually shows up when your striking against mk. They strike fd and sv because of your cg, and you end up with bf. Anyway, I've two stocked mk's there that I lost to on sv/fd.

Just try camping under a platform in a match. No dairs mean mk has no legit approaches.

D

Deleted member

If you are quick, DJC egg roll is even faster, starts u off at full speed, so u beat the tornado as soon as you initiate it.
I like your summery a lot, Im gonna use BF more against MK.
Yoshis island is good too, cuz of slide trixiez =)

Top Bottom