• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Match-Up Discussion Thread (Dinobeast scary)

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
:4shulk:vs.:4yoshi:
Welcome to the Yoshi match-up discussion thread. Post anything regarding the Yoshi match-up here.

-Main trouble spots seem to me like his super armor on the aerial jump makes him hard for us to gimp, and his eggs up B can make him troublesome for us to get to.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Was gonna say my input isn't very good, but at this point in the game there's no top players for most characters anyways for "good" discussion.
I play Shulk on the side too and quite honestly the only other character I find fun in Smash 4 so I know a bit about him.

Gnes was a pretty damn good Shulk when I played him, not sure if it's standard to open up with speed/jump but he'd use speed to either punish any egg tosses I did or if I was in the air trying to hit him so he'd just run behind or more away from me and punish. Jump to chase offstage and lagless Nair/Fair on stage or even Bair when attempting to still camp him out.

Shulk's utilt dtilt and jab is bretty gud while the tilts come out relatively fast and cover a bit of range.
Smash makes our heavyish weight redundant which we rely on in most circumstances/MUs, I think I died around the 80's from Shulk's fsmash.

I was most likely playing it wrong, cause I've faced a Shulk or two online and we'd go even and then a more competent one offline. Usually speed/jump makes him too slippery and dangerous to camp against him, while of course if we tried approaching him with those arts active we wouldn't be fast enough to do so and get punished trying.
Buster can never be bad unless you allow Yoshi to combo you too much, but otherwise think going the first two arts is much better in this MU. Similar to our already bad Matchups thus far, Sheik Pika sonic Zss, they all just rush to our faces and smack us around forever.

Shulk doesn't really have strings like them but he can still punt us away and force us to either wait out the two arts so we can feel a bit more comfortable to SHET (wow, short hop egg toss lol) but since Shulk's recovery and no strings makes him kinda meh at best, think we can handle him if we play a bit more careful but otherwise we can't use our projectile freely like we can against him despite being C.falcon essentially but without the strings and a bit more weight.
Possibly egg lay and Dair is our options to stuff him if he tries rushing us down in the air or ground?

Even is my best guess.

Last edited:

MDAVE

The Flying Dutchman
NNID
GoldDiaruga
3DS FC
1048-8967-3255
Even is what I'd guess as well. Though I can't really tell since I've always had trouble fighting Yoshi with whatever character I use. Speed is regardless Shulk's best punish option against Yoshi, since we can (as mentioned above) punish Egg Toss and we can land a grab here and there. I also like pulling a privot Ftilt when Speed is active. Even at high damage, Shield shouldn't be recommended, as I have experience with Yoshi's combo-power, and if they get us offstage it's probably over. That leaves Jump and Buster to rack-up damage. Jump is pretty good to avoid camping shenanigans.

I think the reason I have trouble with Yoshi is because I have trouble actual K.O.'ing him. That's where Smash comes into play, and I am able to K.O. on a much lower percent. Although we have to be careful (we as in :4shulk:) since it makes it much easier for us to be K.O.'d as well, and either UpSmash or Fsmash would be enough at around 80% (with Smash active).

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
So for punishing egg toss from afar, shield the egg directly from your dash, un-shield, and then dash again to punish yoshi during the animation?

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
As the others mentioned, Speed is a great opener against projectile users; characters with linear projectiles that go straight (i.e. the Space Animals, Villager, etc.), I start with a short hop or full hop towards them while changing to Speed. This usually gets them scared and shield, in which you can punish with a reverse grab and combo from there (usually SH FF NAir).

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I have little input surprisingly, but Yoshi's Super Armor in his Doublejump was tested in regards to my curiosity. If we use F-smash or U-smash against Yoshi at an early percentage (0 - 40-ish%), Yoshi CAN Doublejump away in between 1st & 2nd hits to avoid our stronger 2nd hit. From this a Yoshi player aware of this can punish you with a revenge Yoshi Bomb or whatever option they choose to punish us with.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I have little input surprisingly, but Yoshi's Super Armor in his Doublejump was tested in regards to my curiosity. If we use F-smash or U-smash against Yoshi at an early percentage (0 - 40-ish%), Yoshi CAN Doublejump away in between 1st & 2nd hits to avoid our stronger 2nd hit. From this a Yoshi player aware of this can punish you with a revenge Yoshi Bomb or whatever option they choose to punish us with.
Hmm alright, so avoid F-Smashes until higher percents. Is this also true for higher percents in Monado Buster?

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
No examination of this MU since January, huh.

Well, to reopen discussion...

Thoughts on good stages to take Yoshi to? Part of me says his DJ super armor makes walk-offs favorable, the other part says close quarters helps to prevent Egg camping. I've had times where I can DAir spike him out of double jump, but it also refreshes his jump, so...

Also, his DAir and BAir are annoying.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
You mean Shulk's f-air?

Yes. It does
I would consider that a considerable advantage. It removes a solid portion of yoshi's keepaway game. It the Fair is MALLC'd into Speed, would Shulk be able to punish/get in on Yoshi?

Top Bottom