• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YLink SH -> BAir -> DJ Mix Up

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
Hey, this should be a guide thread for a YLink technique. I've never done a guide in english before so please just deal with it :D
I mean correct me when I'm wrong, any critique/additions/changes are appreciated.

You basically just do a short hop, a back air (further described as BAir) and then use your doublejump before you land to do another aerial you desire (e.g. another BAir). The overall height gained by the two jumps is still sufficient to chain another aerial attack (more info later) before landing, if everything is executed right and if the second aerial is BAir.
IMO true frame perfection is not needed, there's room for variations in timing, which is difficult though.
Obviously, the difficulty to achieve this, is to link the single moves so quick to have enough frames left after your first BAir to execute the double jump before you land.
Additionally, the different options to execute the moves offer useful options, namely tap jump (jumping by tapping the control stick up), and c-sticking (using the c-stick to execute moves, especially aerials). If you use the Control stick to tap-double-jump after the first BAir, the game buffers the jump which makes it easier.
The hardest part for me is to do short hops with tap jump, the timing needed seems pretty rude to me, but you basically just have to flick the Control stick up and let go very quickly so it goes back to neutral.

An example:

tap-jump short hop ->
c-stick left/right (depends where YLink faces) ->
tap-jump double jump ->
BAir with A + Control Stick left/right (depends where YLink faces) ->
NAir with A ->
L-Cancel

This should achieve something similar to this, assuming that YLink faces an opponent shielding in front of him:
He does a BAir on shield, then jumps with a second BAir over his opponent, still attacking the shield, and then does a NAir in the opponents back.

I think I'm not allowed to post links in this forum, so just search on Youtube for a video where you can see what I mean. It's in the EVO SSBM Top 16 Qual. match between MOR | Axe (Young Link) and MOR | Chudat (Ice Climbers).
Here you can see Axe doing it at about 6:27. Very fun match to watch, too.

The concepts are simple :
1. Use A + Control Stick when you want to drift in the direction of your BAir.
2. Use Tap jump and C-Stick if you want to stay in place during the BAir.
3. Use Y/X jump + Control Stick left/right (...direction you don't face) and C-Stiõck to even drift forward (away from the opponent).
4. The third and left aerial attack shouldn't be FAir because it's hitbox comes out late.

My tips to get the first BAir instantaneous after jumping are to slide your thumb from Y/X to A which makes the short hop kinda difficult, or to use tap jump + C-Stick which makes the short hop even more difficult for me. Training just has to be the key ^^.

Though it is possible to jump after SH Bair, it's not possible to airdoge/waveland before, neither after the second Bair.

Last edited:

ZSel

Smash Rookie
Hey, so I've been training this since yesterday and noticed 2 things that may help some people or not at all :/ Anyways here my observations :
I went to the training mode and observed YL during his bair animation in slow mode. So let's say we're in 2/3 speed and we do a SH and a bair as soon as we can, I noticed that you'll be able to do your second when the Young link will start watching again in the opposite direction of his bair. To help you with that you'll notice that his green cap will goes up and after a little wait you'll be able to do your second jump.
I confirm and advice you that you should always do your second jump with the control stick when you try to do this trick, it's so much easier to do with.

All those things I said are mainly here to help you getting the timing this trick. I started yesterday and managed like 3/10 at the moment and I'd like to know if some peeps here can do it 100% sure all the time.
I really like that attack because it looks like so agressive *o*

Last edited:

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
Hahaha, I'm so happy someone finally replied to this ;D

I'm still not comfortable enough to get it right in matches...
but i have to say that doing it with X/Y is not too difficult to give it a try

Last edited:

ZSel

Smash Rookie
Ye I reply here to say that I master this trick right now. So it's not rly that complicated once you get the the timing for it.

First of all you have to get the timing for the second jump (talked about it on my post above). Then you've to be comfortable with the first sh bair. Try many way to do it with your hands until you are fast enough to execute your timing of the second jump. You can by example try short hop y/x + stick c bair or just doing the bair with A button (which I do).

A really easy way to do it, but that I do not recommend is to short hop y/x with your right thumb and doing the bair directly with your left thumb, but you won't be comfortable during match with this so you can use it to train your timing if you want.

So this trick just requiers a little amount of time to master in my opinion and you're good.

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
Doing the first bair with X/Y and then C-Stick is just doable to the left with the knuckle of your right thumb, to the right you just had to be too godlike fast :D
And it wouldn't be worth the price

Last edited:

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
I just figured you can actually tap jump (for the double jump) kind of diagonally and then roll the control stick a bit backwards to still BAir with A. :D

Last edited:

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
You can also fastfall instead of jumping to get the autocancel a bit faster, it useful for turnaround D-Smash or regrabs

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Thanks for the buffered double jump tip! I didn't know you could do that and it makes this trick so much easier.

Btw this is a 2 frame window, you can action after bair on frame 30 and y.link's sh air time is 31 frames.

Last edited:
Top Bottom