• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y Button?

Do you use the X or Y button when using a space animal?

• X

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • Y

Votes: 27 48.2%

• Total voters

RadVillain

Smash Rookie
NNID
RadVillain
I'm sure someone has created this post but I am just curious.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I use Y for everything, Spacies included. It's a shorter distance for my thumb to travel and it's in close to the same place as C-Down on the N64 controller and that's what I grew up using so the Y button just translated into that.

Sal

Smash Rookie
X button, it's easier to short-hop with, and as my playstyle include a lot of nairs, I prefer to just "slide" my thumb over to the a button. Thus the X button fits me the most.

Iguana

Smash Cadet
Y for every character I choose. More comfortable for my thumb. Although specifically jump-cancelling shines is kinda easier for me with X, I have a really hard time cancelling them with Y. Then again, spacies are not my main characters and I'm not really good at the game anyway. XD

SAUS

Smash Ace
X is the only button I never press. I've probably pressed the d-pad directions that are not taunt more than I've pressed X (trying to do Samus extended grab thing and the weird taunt easter egg on venom).

d z

Smash Cadet
Why limit yourself to one? There are times for each of x/y/tap jump/c-stick up oos where they would be the most efficient option.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Y. It's just where my thumb navigated to the first time I played Melee and its been that way ever since. No other reason.

igloo

Smash Rookie
Ive played so much mario kart double dash that i just always press the X button but i still press y too which ever is faster in that moment. So both

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
I use X and the control stick all the time. I have tried using Y but for some reason my fingers move slower despite it being closer. I don't know why I derp so hard when it comes to the Y button.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Y for short hop double laser, shine oos, and multishines; x for regular jumping + shuffling + WD; control stick for shine grabs.

NeatPortal

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-1314-0270
Y has always been my go to. Although X is a lot easier to short hop with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom