• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wynton "progducto" Smith To Retire From Commentary After EVO

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Good luck to Prog with whatever illness he has. Let's all look at this cute cat to lift our spirits.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I knew that Prog was a great commentator.

I just found out Prog was a great man.

Twitchy

Smash Cadet
I absolutely love Prog. Him and D1 together as a casting duo were just unbeatable. You see that in games sometimes. Two casters that just have amazing synergy, that can bring so much to the table in terms of both analytical and entertaining casting. They always got the viewers at home so hyped together. I will never forget Mango vs Leffen @ EVO 2014, Prog's "OHHHH, FOUR STOCK! IS THIS MAN THE TRUTH D1?!" literally made that my favorite match of smash I've ever watched in my life.

http://youtu.be/WICcFChXlTI?t=13m16s

I love you Prog, get well soon.

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
This is very sad news... I've watched the interview and almost cried at the end :/

TheLegendaryKRB

Smash Apprentice
Amazing how a man who literally just says stuff through a microphone could have such an amazing impact on Smash. Best of luck to Prog.

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
Prog, you have been an inspiration to this community, an artist in your own right, and you will be missed very dearly.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
Prog is the reason I got back into smash. I will try my best to step up to the mic locally and who knows maybe one day I'll be a legend like him.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
How is there nothing we can do to help???? DD: Can't we do a fundraiser or something? get him some really good doctors at least?

BigMeatyClaws

Smash Rookie
Prog and D1 have always been very inspirational to me, and I'm sad to see Prog go. But I'm glad he'll still be active in the community. Hope to meet you one day Prog and get well soon!

Gonoji

Smash Cadet
An end of an era. Good luck in your future endeavors Prog. We'll miss you..

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
I was really distraught when I first heard about this. But because it's health issues, I fully understand and support your decision Prog.
For as long as I can remember I've been playing Smash. Melee being my first. I've really been a casual for my whole life up until about a year ago, when I started getting into the competitive scene. I started to love watching competitive matches, it was so much fun. But the best part was undoubtedly the commentators. And one stuck out to me among the others....Prog. He was a natural, born to commentate, he had something to him, some kind of charm that can't really be explained. But he fit the bill so perfectly... And he was always there to cheer me up.. During the time soon before E3 and the Smash Invitational, my Grandmother unexpectedly passed of cancer. I was devastated, and I was hoping E3 could cheer me up..and it really did. But the one thing that really cheered me up was the commentators at the Smash Invitational. Even in an incredibly tense environment with tons of pressure on their shoulders, they managed to still play it cool and deliver the amazing commentary we know and love. And that's what really strikes me about these commentators, they in no way act fake, it's natural, they act human. You almost grow a personal bond to them.

Well Prog. What more can be said.. on one hand, we're losing a legend in the Smash community and it's tragic.., on the other, it's probably for the best. If it means keeping you going strong and healthy then I in no way oppose your decision. I'm happy you're still planning to stay a part of the community and I hope to hear from you from time to time. We're going to miss you Prog. You truly are and always will be a Smash legend, even more so than the players.. I and the rest of the community personally thank you for always putting a smile on our faces. I wish you the best of luck and God Bless. I hope this illness is lifted from you as soon as possible. We'll miss you Prog.

Last edited:

GOLDENMOP

Smash Cadet
It's going to feel so weird watching events like apex without prof announcing, sure D1 will still be there, but Prog and D1 were the signature duo as far as smash commentators. *sigh* I hate hearing news like this but if it's because of Health issues, and if it's for the best of our favorite commentator to retire after all of his years of glory, we might as well let it happen.
Best of Luck to you, Prog

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
But Prog.... we love you!!

I'm sad to see you're leaving, but on the behalf of the entire smash community I would like to say, we wish you the best!!

Last edited:

D1

Banned via Administration
I'll be honest, my last night in SoCal during MLG Anaheim weekend I got really emotional. Prog wasn't just another co-caster to me. He was more than a friend. He was my brother from another mother. Whenever I had issues with health and family he was always there. I always told him to keep going even last year, when he wanted me to do top 8 of Evo with James Chen in his place, or do Grand Finals of the E3 Invitational with Scar only, and so on and so forth. This guy is so selfless that sometimes I am in shock at the fact that some people truly don't recognize the amount of dedication he has for the scene. The best thing we can do to prove to Prog that we truly appreciate all he's done for us is to do all you can to support the Smash scene's growth. He's been working hard all this time for us to follow in his example. Of course, many of us may not have as much free time to dedicate to the scene, but little did you know Prog has a full time job and still found time to research ways to push the scene in the right direction.

I'm happy he isn't exactly quitting, but to not be able to commentate by his side after this summer of Smash will be hard to swallow.

Let's make Prog proud and put our best foot forward. We are the Smash community. We may have had our ups and downs, but at the end of the day we've never faltered. Let's keep this momentum that we have going during the Platinum Age, and show Prog that all his efforts to help mold our scene into an even better one were worth it after all.

That is the best way to show thanks, better than any donation, thank you card, or any other physical representation of gratitude. As long as we keep taking steps to improve our scene, his heart will be glad midst all of the health issues he's enduring while smiling for the public.

Best of luck brother, as you know I'm always hoping for the best, and will forever keep in touch during good times and bad.

-D1

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was a big fan of his commentary even if I'm not a part of the very long-term audience that Melee has had.

I'm sad to see him go for now, but what he's given us is always to be construed as a gift to our amusement and insight.

Props to him. Hopefully the health-related backlash will subside and get better for him, if he get's back to commentating or not.

Asura

Smash Rookie
Chill people like he said, EVO and CEO won't be the last we have seen of him. I think such a great guy as Prog will allways have his way to stay in touch with us. Although i really feel sorry for Prog that he has that health issue :(
We love you Prog and wish you all the best <3

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Thanks for the love and support.

You haven't seen the last of me, I swear it.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the love and support.

You haven't seen the last of me, I swear it.
So as one chapter may close, another will begin. But so long as we're reading the same book, smashers the world over need not be afraid. Make way for the next iteration of prog's dedication.

Thanks for it all!

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Let's all hope he makes like Terminator and is able to come back.
"You haven't seen the last of me"
-Commentator Legend Prog

Last edited:

Wii Mote

Smash Rookie
NNID
Andayyy
3DS FC
0001-3316-5240
Well. I'll be honest, until about a year ago, I had hardly even touched much of the competitive scene for Smash Bros in general. I recently finished my freshman year in college and I've made some amazing friends who all turned out to love smash as much as I did. But It wasn't until we went to our first official Smash Tournament at Mid-State Massacre 3 where I got to meet some of the big guys like DrPeePee and ESAM for the first time that I truly felt like I was a part of the competitive scene. Seeing guys like Prog commentate over everything with such enthusiasm, attention to detail, and humor only made me want to be part of the active smash community more than ever before. It's made me want to step up my game not only in PM (which I've been focusing on the most recently) but also Smash 4 as the limitless amount of hype leads me to October 3rd and Holiday 2014. So Prog, you will be missed, but for all that you've done (and continue to do) you most certainly wont be forgotten. Thank you and best of luck to your health from here on.

Last edited:

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
Thank you, Prog, for all you've done for the Smash community. I will miss hearing your voice.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Best of luck Prog, thanks for all the amazing commentary and support for the community.

It really is too bad, but it's understandable: I hope you keep/regain your health man!

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
Get well man, thank you for the great commentary

Reizoko

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1263-6364-2684
I can't believe I'm hearing this :( Truly saddening news, but do what you have to do, Prog, nothing is more important than your own well-being. You have been an irreplaceable part of the Smash community and we all have love and respect for you. I'm sure you'll still be involved in one way or another in the days to come. Best of luck and here's to hoping you make you a swift recovery!

Top Bottom