• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WWYP VIII] - Exceeding Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarves

Smash Rookie
This is my first attempt at writing a story of my own free will, so any comments and constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated. Also, sorry if my grammar or spelling isn't that good or I messed up in some parts; English isn't my first language.

Oh, and what a coincidence...my story also has 1,297 words, the same as Jam Stunna's.

Misspelling 'Exceeding' in the title sure was smart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fwoosh. The zooming sound that became oh so familiar to Zachary was heard once again; Zachary glanced out the window again, but to his dismay, the signs of a car passing by were not to be seen. Zachary's fingers trembled a bit, showing that he was both nervous physically and mentally. This was the first time he was going to a birthday party, and he wasn't sure of what to do when he arrived there. It seemed so soon to him, yet late at the same time. He can picture it clearly in his mind, a girl with blonde pigtails cheerfully giving him a birthday invitation next to his locker, getting ready for the next class.

“Here, Zachary!” said the girl with a grin.

“Hm? What's this?” Zachary asked, taking the invitation.

“An invitation to my birthday party, of course.” Sara said, laughing a little. “You were one of my first friends in this school when I transferred here, so why not?”

“Oh, really? Thanks, Sara.” Zachary said, a bit lost for what to say.

Sara smiled again, before saying, “I hope you can make it. All of the information is included in the card!”

She walked back to her classroom, waving back at Zachary. Zachary looked at the invitation, then looked back at Sara. Zachary smiled as well, and he returned the wave back to her.

He knew that a 4th grader should have some experience in going to parties, but, he never had any real friends to start with, until he met Sara. He was excited, but what should he do first? He knew greeting everyone was the first thing to do, but he didn't know what to do afterwards. Should he give the present to her immediately and let her open it? Or should he socialize with the other people first? Zachary jumped off of his bed, walked over to his nightstand, and then picked up a small, wrapped up box with decorations on the side, a card stuck on top of it, next to a bow in a shade of light lavender.

Zachary looked at the box for a couple of seconds, then set the colorfully decorated box back on the nightstand with gentle hands. He glanced out of the window involuntarily whenever he heard a car drive by his house, but before he could hope for the car that he recognized so much nowadays to drive by, the car he was looking at vanished into the deep horizon, leaving a small feeling of disappointment in his wake. He knew that the car he was expecting to see will show up eventually, but he just couldn't help it; he wanted to climb into the car with the box in his hands, arriving at Sara's house as soon as possible.

He wondered if his gift was good enough for Sara, thinking about it with all senses of tension gone from his body. But before he could contemplate on the thought any longer, he heard the sound of keys clinking together, messing up his train of thought. Zachary looked out once again, and saw a Lexus outside on the driveway. A well-groomed man in his mid thirties in a brown suit walked up to the front door, a laptop squeezed between his arms, trying to find the correct key to unlock the door. Zachary's face lit up with joy from the mere sight of this. He jumped off of his bed, smoothed his ruffled brown hair down, grabbed his present, and ran down the stairs and onto the front door. He stepped back a bit, seeing the door open as his dad came in.

“Oh? You're here already?” Zachary's father said, his face showing a small sign of surprise.

“Yup.” Zachary replied.

“Well then, let me drop off my things and let's go then.” Zachary's father said.

Zachary said nothing, but looked at his dad expectedly, waiting for him without complaint. Zachary's dad was used to this response, seeing as Zachary was a quiet person. He set down his laptop and a blue folder down on the dining room table, then straightened his tie and walked back to where Zachary was.

“Well then, let's go.” Zachary's father said, opening the front door.

“Okay.” Zachary said, following his dad outside.

They got into the car, buckling up their seat belts as they sat down. Zachary laid his present on his lap, his fingers tapping on the top of the card, waiting anxiously for the car to start. After what seemed like an eternity, his father started up the engine and drove off in the direction of where he came from. Zachary saw houses and trees fly by, but his mind was not really focusing on the things outside. He still had no clue what to do, and now that his initial excitement has faded, he was feeling quite anxious and nervous again.

“Don't be nervous.” Zachary's father said unexpectedly. “Just be yourself, act naturally.”

Zachary was at a loss for words. It was as if he read his mind. Zachary looked down, glancing at his present. Zachary raised his head, looking at the back of the driver's seat.

“But what if I mess up? What will Sara think of me if I do something wrong on her birthday...” Zachary said in a trembling voice, looking back down again.

Zachary's dad said nothing for a few moments, then reached up his hand and adjusted his mirror accordingly, so that he could see Zachary's face.

“Sara is your friend, right, Zachary?” Zachary's father said. “From what you've told me, she seems like a person with a good heart. She'll forgive you. The important this is to enjoy the party. Enjoy it with Sara, and all of yours and her friends there. It'll be a pleasant experience. I know.”

Zachary looked up, seeing his father's smiling face in the mirror. Zachary smiled back, feeling at ease again. Zachary looked back down at his present, and adjusted the lavender bow on it, hoping that everything will start and end well.

The Lexus stopped in front of a normal suburban house, with a couple other cars parked near it as well. Balloons in many different colors could be seen floating behind a backyard fence, as well as many laughs and yells. A faint sizzling could be heard as well, accompanied by a scent of barbecue. Zachary and his dad stepped out of the car, slamming the doors behind them. Zachary held his present tightly, who still couldn't help but still feel a bit nervous. Zachary's dad looked down at his son reassuringly, telling him that everything will be fine with his look. He rang the doorbell, and Zachary clenched the box tighter than ever. The door opened with a small creak, and a girl with blonde pigtails wearing a party hat looked out. Her eyes widened as she saw who it was, and she opened the door fully, a smile appearing on her face. Zachary looked up, and he saw Sara's face looking at him as well.

“Oh, I'm so glad you could come, Zachary!” Sara said a bit breathtakingly, a smile appearing on her face again, as she let Zachary and his dad in.

“Me too. Here.” Zachary said, holding his present out.

Sara's eyes widened as she saw the present, and she smiled happily and took the gift from Zachary's hands, a small blush appearing on her face.

“Happy birthday, Sara!” Zachary said with a smile, assured that everything will work out.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hey Scarves!

I read your story, and you're probably aware that your first story isn't going to be award winning material. But it sure as heck is better than anything I wrote when I first started : )

You might benefit from reading some of the other entries and seeing what you can take from the way they write.

One thing that stood out to me was your use of 'Zachary's father'. You should consider dropping the 'Zachary' part and just refer to 'his father'. It was getting kind of annoying lol. I think you wrote better than a lot of people I know who's first language is english, so don't be discouraged.

Good luck!

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
“Happy birthday, Sara!” Zachary said with a smile, assured that everything will work out.
You switched from past tense to present tense there. Should be 'would' instead of 'will' because the rest of the story is in past tense.

quadz08

Smash Cadet
I liked that very much. Near the beginning, it seems like you go immediately from receiving the invite to waiting to leave to the party. Instead of making it so sudden, try to make the beginning a flashback type of thing, as if he is remembering what happened when Sara gave him the invitation.

raul

Smash Lord
Hi Scarves. I read your story and I have a few comments for you. Hopefully they will be helpful to you now and perhaps in the future. Overall, while I don't feel you really "wow"-ed anyone, your story was by far not nearly as bad as others I have read. The word limit I feel constraint your creativity, as it will with others who enter this contest. Below are my comments. Nice work and good luck. --Raul.

1.) You have 3 characters, Zach, Sara and the father. While most of the story revolves around the father and Zach, very little is known about any of the characters. Yo have about 700 words left and I urge you to develop two of the three characters with maybe a few flash backs to Zach and Sara's early days when she transferred to the school, or perhaps establish the close father-son relationship Zach and his father have together. For example, Zach seems to be the quiet time, where as I could see his father being more of the jokester type, doing his best to give his son advice. Those are just some examples, but you know your characters better than I do, you'll find a way to make them more "Real."

2.) Relating back to #1, with 700 words left, perhaps adding a small scene or details as to what time of relationship Zach Sara have. As of right now, I understand they are friendly, but I feel there might be more to it. With the understanding that this is Zach's first birthday party he's ever attended, would ZAch be that worried about his actions if it was one of his guy friend's party? Does Zach feel differently because it is a girl's birthday party? These are something to think about.

3.) Mechanically, you have to vary the start of your sentences. Stories become boring if every sentence begins with "Zach", "Sara", "Zach's father," "He," "She" & so forth. I've provided an example to demonstrate what i mean.

EXAMPLE:
YOU WROTE:

Zachary was at a loss for words. It was as if he read his mind. Zachary looked down, glancing at his present. Zachary raised his head, looking at the back of the driver's seat.

I SUGGEST:

Zachary was at a loss for words. His father had read every thought on his mind. Glancing down at the present and then back at the of the driver's seat, Zach realized his father knew him better than he thought.

While I am not crazy about my suggestion, you see the point I'm trying to make. 3 of your 4 original sentences staredt with "Zach" and now I got it down to 1.

There are other comments I could make, but for now you have enough to go on. Good work, good luck and keep writing.

Scarves

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all the help, everyone. ^^ I'll try to edit this as soon as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom