• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Writer of Final Fantasy VII is the writer of Subspace Emissary!

Discord002

Smash Rookie
That's not what I'm attempting. But facts are facts. FFVII is, yes, a piece of garbage in just about every aspect. Instead of improving as a sequel, it basically was a downgrade in the transition between FFVI and FFVII, especially with the inclusion of a crap system like the materia one. And you'd at least think it'd make up in the story, characters, or atmosphere or something unique. But it doesn't, as all of that was also downgraded from past games with undeveloped and uninteresting characters, predictable story, no unique aspects. Basically, in general, it was a piece of garbage.
Your kinda funny, you know that? Just cause you dont like FFVII cause you didnt understand the materia system, doesnt mean its garbage. Im not saying its my fav FF game either, but i wont say the game sucks just because of that. There has to be a reason FFVII is the most popular of the series, and not FFVI or FFIV... and the reason is certainly not that people enjoy garbage.

Let me guess, you like Naruto?
Yes, great argument..

JayceMJ

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't think FFVII was a very good game either. I actually stopped playing it right before the last fight with Sephiroth. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have its place in gaming history as the title that brought RPGs to the mainstream and the game that first bought FMVs into games (not that the FMV part is really a good thing). But just because it's mainstream doesn't mean it's the greatest thing in the world.

Personally, I've gotten great enjoyment from the past SSB games just from the whole trophy master hand story. I always imagine some kid at his desk making "pshew pshew" sounds while banging his toys together. TAKE THAT ROY, MARTH IS THE BETTER LORD pshew pshew clank clang pshew. With SSE's story it'll be even more epic. Now I can imagine some kid at his desk playing out this huge scenario. Imagining things like this makes everything more enjoyable.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
If he Anicent Minister is even half the mama's boy like Sephiroth is, I'm killing someone. :O

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Question: Did this guy also write the story to Chrono Trigger? Now THAT'S someone I'd love to see involve in Brawl somehow.

*random thought* There's an awful lot of people heavily associated either in the past or present with Square Enix working on this game, isn't there? Before anyone goes "ZOMG, U GeNo FaNbOy" I was just making an observation.

Bursting_Rythem

Smash Cadet
Your kinda funny, you know that? Just cause you dont like FFVII cause you didnt understand the materia system, doesnt mean its garbage.
Um, excuse me. I know Luke pretty well, and I can safely say he understood the system. He realy means "Materia is Crap." It didn't matter who had the materia equiped, it stayed at the same level, making each party member Materia Bags through the whole game, their biggest diffrence being who's Limit Break do you want to use, most of them being crap coppies of eachother (Red XIII being the only one with realy unique limits)

game that first bought FMVs into games (not that the FMV part is really a good thing).
Actualy, there's an old arcade game credited with the first FMVs. I can't recall the name right now, but it predated FFVII by a good while.

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
The game isn't going to have an amazing plot. This might be the guy who did FFVII, but it's also the guy who did Kirby. Don't expect story character, etc. Expect some nice cinematic moments.

And Luke Groundwalker, I don't mind if you don't like FFVII, but it annoys me when people toe around their own opinions as the law of the universe.

Mike87

Smash Ace
Sin/Cloverfield confirmed.
Cloverfield isnt the name of the monster. Christ dont tell me this bull**** is starting now like it did with Frankenstein.
and it doesnt look like Sin at all.

But facts are facts. FFVII is, yes, a piece of garbage in just about every aspect.
Thats your opinion and you're entitled it but dont pass it off as a fact.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
I would have liked to written the story for adventure mode, and i probably could have done it better. My story would go something like this:

Mario 's is in front of the Stadium trying to hail a taxi. A mental bubble appears over his left shoulder and its Peach. She says "Lunch is at 12 o' clock sharp. Don't be late." Mario looks at his pocketwatch. Its 11:45. He lets out a "Mama mia."

A cab draws near but pulls over short of Mario. In steps DK, but not before looking over at Mario and giving hime one of his ape-ish shrugs. Mario's anxiety grows.

Finally a cab stops in front of Mario. Lucas is driving, "Get in," he says. Mario lets out a sigh of relief and opens the back door.

Out of no where comes a blue flash. It's Sonic and he steps in to the cab ahead of Mario. "Too slow" he says.

Mario is fuming, and his eyes glow red like right before he does his FS. "Why you..." he shouts

Sonic grins, "Sorry dude. Sonic's the name, and speeds my game." And with that Sonic closes the door in Mario' s face. But the door doesnt shut completely. Sonic looks down and sees a shoe keeping it open. Suddenly the entire door flies back off it's hinges and there is standing a glowing Mario.

"Its a me, Mario. And Im a gonna kick yo' mother f**king rodent a**!!" he says and proceeds to step in to the cab.

This is how it would start out. Not even the writer for FF could come up with that.
But where should my story go from here?

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
further proof this game is the sh*t! FFVII is my #1 game of all time to date. This game just may surpass it or come friggin close.

falco999

Smash Apprentice
i am actually really excited because Kingdom Hearts and Final FAntasy VII are some of my favorite games of all time.

Bursting_Rythem

Smash Cadet
further proof this game is the sh*t! FFVII is my #1 game of all time to date. This game just may surpass it or come friggin close.
i am actually really excited because Kingdom Hearts and Final FAntasy VII are some of my favorite games of all time.
Play more games. Realy. Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, Fire Embelm, Paper Mario, For the love of god, play somthing and relize FFVII isn't the peice of artwork people seem to think it is.

Ryusuke

Smash Cadet
Hmm...well, he did write FFIX (which seems like the better of his works). But, most of his stuff isn't that special.

I'm not expecting this to be the greatest of all stories. It'd probably be entertaining though.

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
Play more games. Realy. Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, Fire Embelm, Paper Mario, For the love of god, play somthing and relize FFVII isn't the peice of artwork people seem to think it is.
While those are all good game's, there is a legit reason Final Fantasy is more populer, because they are all actually realy good in virtually every aspect. Including great stories, gameplay, graphics, and my personal favorite music.

But I do think that Final Fantasy fanboys need to play other great RPG's like persona 3 and Tales of Abyss among others.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
While those are all good game's, there is a legit reason Final Fantasy is more populer, because they are all actually realy good in virtually every aspect. Including great stories, gameplay, graphics, and my personal favorite music.
The only Final Fantasy games with actual superb story is Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy IX, and Final Fantasy Tactics, so what are you trying to gloat about? Usually it's either a mediocre and lacking story (like in the first game, which doesn't make it a bad game but the story is indeed dull similar in vein to the first Dragon Quest game). For graphics, while good, isn't the best ever. It tends to be beautiful but good graphics =/= good game. For gameplay, while most of the FF games tend to be good in terms of that, there's a few like Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy XI, and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles that are really bad when it comes to gameplay in the series and is a stench in a pretty good series. The only thing good, in each game, is the music. However there's a ton of video game music that's better than the music in Final Fantasy, so it's really nothing too amazing compared to many others that are often overlooked.

Bursting_Rythem

Smash Cadet

But I do think that Final Fantasy fanboys need to play other great RPG's like persona 3 and Tales of Abyss among others.
Umatsu's never lead me wrong in music. "Battle on the Big Bridge" and "Dancing Mad" are among the best tracks in any games, along with the entire Baten Kaitos series soundtrack, alot of MOTHER 3's tracks, and a few tracks that stick out in other games that I can't name.

I agree, FF deserives alot of the credit it gets. FFVII gets more than it diserves. I've played most of them (XII, VIII, X are the only ones I haven't) and VII just feels like a step down in Story, true, most FFs follow a formula with the story, but VII just seemed to take those elements and mesh them realy poorly, I never managed to feel connected to any of the chareters.The graphics wern't what they could be, the chareter designs kind of sucked (I'm looking at you Tifa.) Nomura's designs don't hold the same spark that Amano's do. And don't get me started on what he did to Vivi and Setzer in KH2, I wept when I saw Setzer. Openly. The game plays not bad, you can't be bad with the same formula game to game, it's materia that bites, and I said why ealier. The musical track was kind of sucky too. There are only a few tracks I actualy like, and One Winged Angel isn't one of them. J*E*N*O*V*A is pretty much the best track from that game, and you only hear it thrice.

VII should rank ALOT Lower on lists than it should. VI, IX have the perfect FF Feel to them. II is deep, dark, and fairly interesting. III and V have the job systems I'm just a sucker for. IV, while I've never completed it (Waiting for the DS version, scince all I can get now are Roms) is amazing. Did I miss any? Meh.

Either way, FF is one of the most notable RPG series, but they've taken a giant hit in the quality department and are starting to feel more like parodies (Vaan's an andrognous pretty boy, Lul). Lots of RPG series, Persona, Baten Kaitos, and some Tales Of games (Phantasia sitcks out, never played Abyss), Fire Embelm. A bunch of series that keep sitting under the radar are amazing, I can't figure out why FF sticks out so much, realy.

Bursting_Rythem

Smash Cadet
I never played FF7, so I have no idea what to say here, except, please put in Advent one wingned angel music, my friend has the game and he showed me/I herd the song and it is one of the most epic battle songs ever!

I don't mean to sound mean, I realy don't. But please, shop around abit before you make such a bold claim. Dancing Mad laughs in the face of your claim. The True Mirror ~Orchestrial Remix~ and The Valadiction Elgy ~For Guitar~ want you to shut up.

Advent: One Winged Angel realy sucks compaired to other battle musics for Final Fantasy games.

S2

Smash Lord
Sorry dude, I've played all those games. As well as every FF, the Chrono series, Lunar series, Xenosaga, etc...

While the games you mentioned are good, that doesn't take away from the fact that FF7 was a great piece of artwork.

Stop being butthurt that other people like the game. Just because you didn't like it as much doesn't mean its garbage.

I'm surprised you mention Baiten Kaitos. Good game, but its not even on the same level of quality as FF7.

Bursting_Rythem

Smash Cadet
Sorry dude, I've played all those games. As well as every FF, the Chrono series, Lunar series, Xenosaga, etc...

While the games you mentioned are good, that doesn't take away from the fact that FF7 was a great piece of artwork.

Stop being butthurt that other people like the game. Just because you didn't like it as much doesn't mean its garbage.

I'm surprised you mention Baiten Kaitos. Good game, but its not even on the same level of quality as FF7.
Origins surpasses the orginal. While the orginal carried the same teen anxt riddled hero that VII carries, it's just better. The chareters were all well designed, the story was well exicuted, the system worked in a way that your chareter choice (Card choice, even more so in Origins) matters, as opposed to "KNIGHTS OF THE RUND"ing Savior Sephiroth.

"Butthurt"? That's a new one for me, care to clarafy what that means to me? I'm just presenting my case. If it offends you, I'm so sorry. If it's too much for you to read, I'm sorry. I'm just saying that the other games have far more to like than your "great peice of artwork". The designs are lacking, the story was lacking. It was three bloody disks long. Three. It was longer than any Final Fantasy before it. The story should have been an epic work that was explained through the course of the game. I wanted story. I didn't want to be forced into that ****ty snowboarding minigame. The most enjoyable part of that game is the Turks. Seriously, if FFVII was playable with just Reno, Rude, and Elena I'd be a raving FFVII fanboy too.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Umatsu's never lead me wrong in music. "Battle on the Big Bridge" and "Dancing Mad" are among the best tracks in any games, along with the entire Baten Kaitos series soundtrack, alot of MOTHER 3's tracks, and a few tracks that stick out in other games that I can't name.

I agree, FF deserives alot of the credit it gets. FFVII gets more than it diserves. I've played most of them (XII, VIII, X are the only ones I haven't) and VII just feels like a step down in Story, true, most FFs follow a formula with the story, but VII just seemed to take those elements and mesh them realy poorly, I never managed to feel connected to any of the chareters.The graphics wern't what they could be, the chareter designs kind of sucked (I'm looking at you Tifa.) Nomura's designs don't hold the same spark that Amano's do. And don't get me started on what he did to Vivi and Setzer in KH2, I wept when I saw Setzer. Openly. The game plays not bad, you can't be bad with the same formula game to game, it's materia that bites, and I said why ealier. The musical track was kind of sucky too. There are only a few tracks I actualy like, and One Winged Angel isn't one of them. J*E*N*O*V*A is pretty much the best track from that game, and you only hear it thrice.

VII should rank ALOT Lower on lists than it should. VI, IX have the perfect FF Feel to them. II is deep, dark, and fairly interesting. III and V have the job systems I'm just a sucker for. IV, while I've never completed it (Waiting for the DS version, scince all I can get now are Roms) is amazing. Did I miss any? Meh.

Either way, FF is one of the most notable RPG series, but they've taken a giant hit in the quality department and are starting to feel more like parodies (Vaan's an andrognous pretty boy, Lul). Lots of RPG series, Persona, Baten Kaitos, and some Tales Of games (Phantasia sitcks out, never played Abyss), Fire Embelm. A bunch of series that keep sitting under the radar are amazing, I can't figure out why FF sticks out so much, realy.
What did he do to Setzer??? *heads to youtube*

OMG!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

They even use the "ante-up" quote. :(

Wow, I just tended to stay away from KH, but I really can't help but feel some dislike for it now.

*sigh* anyway, pretty much, I agree a lot with what you said.

EDIT:

While on the tube, I found this video... funny ^.^

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Wow, I just tended to stay away from KH, but I really can't help but feel some dislike for it now.
Yeah, KH is just a big lump of ****. Great concept, I love Disney characters and I'm very big into them. But Kingdom Hearts didn't really pull the concept well with the ugly designs (come on, Nomura, you can do better than that; your art for FFX was a fine example of something great you can make), terrible characters and storyline, no actual crossing over with all the Disney characters except for a few like Mickey Mouse, along with terrible gameplay. It's just a big piece of garbage that just needs to end.

Bursting_Rythem

Smash Cadet
Yeah, KH is just a big lump of ****. Great concept, I love Disney characters and I'm very big into them. But Kingdom Hearts didn't really pull the concept well with the ugly designs (come on, Nomura, you can do better than that; your art for FFX was a fine example of something great you can make), terrible characters and storyline, no actual crossing over with all the Disney characters except for a few like Mickey Mouse, along with terrible gameplay. It's just a big piece of garbage that just needs to end.
I donno, Luke. I agree with most of what you said, but I never thought the game play was that bad. Sure, the magic system sucked, summons were useless and your partners had the same AI that was used with the goombas in the orginal Super Mario Bros., but at least "Attack" worked. Right?

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I donno, Luke. I agree with most of what you said, but I never thought the game play was that bad. Sure, the magic system sucked, summons were useless and your partners had the same AI that was used with the goombas in the orginal Super Mario Bros., but at least "Attack" worked. Right?
I suppose. But I would've liked the gameplay a lot better if I wasn't able to beat the game by rapidly pressing X constantly (as in, being able to win only by repetitive force, the summons and spells were pretty useless when you could easily beat it with a rapid pressing of the X button).

Bursting_Rythem

Smash Cadet
I suppose. But I would've liked the gameplay a lot better if I wasn't able to beat the game by rapidly pressing X constantly.(as in, being able to win only by repetitive force, the summons and spells were pretty useless when you could easily beat it with a rapid pressing of the X button).
Dont forget Triangle in 2. You had to use that!

Besides, you didn't need spells or summons in KH. They were crap. The only time they were useful were a few points in story mode and finishing the 101 dalmations quest.

Out of all the KH games, CoM's the best. But I also have a soft spot for card battle systems.

ricey09

Smash Cadet
Wow...lots of FF7 haters here. I personally have to disagree with all these negative comments on FF7. The main story, i'll have to admit is a bit cliche, but it is accompanied by perfect character development(which recent FFs like ff12 lack), and many side stories that truly make ff7 a work of art. Not only the story, but the flaming on it's gameplay...that's just going too far. If someone could explain to me how the gameplay of this game is flawed...please go ahead explain, because I don't know where to begin with complimenting the gameplay/mechanics.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
The main story, i'll have to admit is a bit cliche, but it is accompanied by perfect character development(which recent FFs like ff12 lack), and many side stories that truly make ff7 a work of art.
Character...development? In FFVII?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's hillarious.
Not only the story, but the flaming on it's gameplay...that's just going too far. If someone could explain to me how the gameplay of this game is flawed...please go ahead explain, because I don't know where to begin with complimenting the gameplay/mechanics.
I dunno, the fact that the materia system is pure garbage?

ricey09

Smash Cadet
Mmm...Luke your opinion seems a little bias...(sarcasm) so i'm just gonna overlook your posts til you actually have a valid argument...besides "FF7 is teh worst game evEr in the WoRld!!"

Bursting_Rythem

Smash Cadet
Wow...lots of FF7 haters here. I personally have to disagree with all these negative comments on FF7. The main story, i'll have to admit is a bit cliche, but it is accompanied by perfect character development(which recent FFs like ff12 lack), and many side stories that truly make ff7 a work of art. Not only the story, but the flaming on it's gameplay...that's just going too far. If someone could explain to me how the gameplay of this game is flawed...please go ahead explain, because I don't know where to begin with complimenting the gameplay/mechanics.
Whow-whow. Side stories? Did I miss somthing here? The Wutai Quest, Getting Vincent's final weapon. That's the only two that I can think of. Yeah, real Work of Art. FFVI was born on Sidestories through the last half of the game, developing the last detalis of all the chareters. Gau's father was introduced, Saban's master, Locke's lover. Fully completing VI means learning everything about each of the heros.

Also, The lack of Joy Stick support, even in the Players Choice version, poor camera angles, bad minigames, Materia System failing hard, a shoddy translation, clone Limit Breaks, witch, of them selves, were needlessly difficult to get and oft involved finging yourself headlong into battles with Fury equiped then letting Mu's wail away on you for half an hour. Needlessly long loading times, even on a PS2 (I've actualy fallen asleep at the loading screen before Savior Sephiroth), poor music.

I could go on, but I'm sleepy and will let Luke take it from here.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Mmm...Luke your opinion seems a little bias...(sarcasm) so i'm just gonna overlook your posts til you actually have a valid argument...besides "FF7 is teh worst game evEr in the WoRld!!"
Then learn how to read because I already clearly stated why FF7 is a piece of ****.

I'm not biased towards the **** game. It's not even the worst Final Fantasy game (that title goes to Final Fantasy XI). It's just extremely bad.

ricey09

Smash Cadet
Yeah...from what I've read, its just you saying how everything is bad about ff7. Which isn't really a valid argument unless you can explain why those things are bad. It's just as easy for me to say all those things are good.

And I like how you included "****" game" in your sentence revealing you aren't biased towards the game.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Yeah...from what I've read, its just you saying how everything is bad about ff7. Which isn't really a valid argument unless you can explain why those things are bad. It's just as easy for me to say all those things are good.
Why do you think the materia system is bad?

Like I CLEARLY said, it's a downgrade from the past games in a sense that you can easily choose who gets what when it comes to magic, making the game very easy and losing any of the actual challenge from it.

Well, it HAS to make up in story, characters, and atmosphere, right?!

WRONG!!

The story is extremely bland. It was like watching a bad anime that attempts to be deep like Naruto but in reality it's really dull. The characters? They would be fine if they actually had character development and good backstory (and no, Sephiroth and Cloud did NOT have a good backstory, nor was it very emotionally envoking to convince me why Cloud is as angsty as he is). The atmosphere? I guess it's...okay? There's really nothing special about it. Really, I expected better when I transition from VI to VII to think that maybe, JUST maybe they would expand on the great atmosphere in VI. Well, it didn't. At least IX had a great atmosphere, though.
And I like how you included "****" game" in your sentence revealing you aren't biased towards the game.
How does that make me biased?

Darkraid

Smash Champion
With a story this epic, I expect the playtime would be... OVER 9000!!!
Just joking. If SSE looks like advent children, I would cry.

Happy tears.

Top Bottom