• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wrecking Crew: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
This is where I usually put something approaching wittiness. I got nothing today.

Previously Covered
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Big Battlefield
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Town & City
Duck Hunt
Delfino Plaza
Kalos Pokemon League
Mario Galaxy
Coliseum
Gamer
Wii Fit Studio
Kongo Jungle 64
Windy Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Skyloft
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
Wrecking Crew's layout is ever-changing, yet there are several consistent features. The base of the stage is solid and has walled sides, while four additional floors exist overhead. Each of these may take up the whole length of the stage, only part of the length, or even consist of two separate sections. In the background are various wall segments, which come into play later. Ladders may also appear, which function identically to those in The Subspace Emissary from Brawl.

Players 1 and 2 start on the bottom floor, three wall segments in from the ledge. Players 3 and 4 start 5 wall segments in. The Omega form has walled sides.

Wrecking Crew is a very dynamic stage and has both damaging and non damaging stage hazards.

Bombs
Scattered throughout each floor are a number of small pedestals. Bombs appear on these pedestals, but only on a total of two floors at a time. The bombs can be damaged with any attack and have 12 HP each. A player is immune to a bomb that they detonate. The explosions do 10% damage to players caught in the blast.

Barrels
Also scattered around the stage are metal barrels. These barrels are not nearly as numerous as bombs but are nonetheless common. They are not walls, and projectiles can pass through them without issue, yet players cannot freely stand within them. The effect is similar to the collision detection between players, which gently pushes them away from each other.

A player can land on top of a barrel, which acts as a standard platform.

Ladders
The ladders that connect some floors together act completely normally. People who have played The Subspace Emissary in Brawl should already be familiar with the mechanics.

A player in front of a ladder may press up or down to climb up or slide down the ladder as they please. This can be done even if the player is airborne at the time. If someone slides all the way down to the bottom of a ladder, they will continue falling below the platform it sits on provided the platform lets them do so in the first place.

Walls
A large number of wall segments exist on each floor, which come in three varieties: Windows, Light Brick, and Dark Brick. While they do not impact the fight directly, they do have different properties that come into play when the stage starts falling apart.

A good sample image of the Wrecking Crew stage. Bombs, barrels, ladders, and all three types of wall are present. Each of these elements occupies a single "slot" on its floor. (Empty slots are also possible.) Also note that the higher floors need not cover the length of the stage, and can even be split into two.

Demolition
Now that we are familiar with the different stage elements, it's time to learn how they work together.

When a bomb explodes, it causes a chain reaction in nearby walls and other bombs. Any wall segments adjacent to a bomb also explode, which makes a segment adjacent to it also explode, and so forth. All such explosions cause the same 10% damage as the original bomb, which the initiating player is again immune to. This is where the different types of wall segments come into play, as they have different levels of durability before they completely break:
  • Ladder: 1
  • Window: 1
  • Light Brick: 2
  • Dark Brick: 3
In other words, a ladder or window breaks from a single explosion, while light bricks need 2 explosions and dark bricks require 3. Player attacks do nothing, only bombs and the chain reactions they cause can damage or destroy walls. A ladder breaks entirely when destroyed, it does not work in segments.

If the chain reaction encounters a second bomb, it will also explode and start its own chain reaction. In effect, it causes it to ripple backwards if any light or dark brick is there to still get blown up, in addition to propagating the original chain reaction forward.

One would perhaps assume that a section of floor only falls when all of the wall sections supporting it have been destroyed. One would be wrong. Instead, a floor falls when two or fewer wall sections, including ladders, are left to support it.

In general, when a floor falls down it takes everything with it, including any floors above it, effectively sliding the whole stage down by one level. However, in the event of split floors or a floor that doesn't stretch all the way across, it is possible for the floor above to still be supported by another wall or ladder, in which case it will remain in place as the rest of the stage falls before checking if it is adequately supported. If not, then the supports break under the strain as usual and the rest of the stage falls as well. Ladders do not stretch when a floor falls down.

A falling floor stops at the first floor it encounters, whether it is the stage base or one of the additional floors above. As the floors fall down, additional floors fall from the top blast zone to keep the stage cycle going. If a floor falls on top of a bomb or a barrel, they are destroyed. The bomb causes a small explosion for 10% damage when destroyed in this manner.

For illustrative purposes, here is a series of images showing the step by step results of detonating a single bomb on the ground floor:

Step 1: R.O.B. uses its forward smash to detonate an adjacent bomb. Note how it takes no damage from the explosion.

Step 2: The bomb causes a chain reaction across the wall behind R.O.B., who is again immune to the damage. While difficult to see behind the smoke, the light brick segments are still intact, while the window segment is destroyed.

Step 3: The section of floor that was supported by the wall now only has the two light brick segments to hold it up, which shatter under the strain.

Step 4: The section of floor falls down.

Step 5: The third floor is now only supported by the two wall segments on the left side, which shatter under the strain.

Step 6: The third floor falls down and destroys the bomb and barrel it lands on.

Trapped in a Barrel
Although falling floors do not cause any damage themselves, a barrel on such a floor may trap players if it falls on top of them. If this happens, they must button mash to break free and are vulnerable to attack in the meantime.

A fighter trapped inside a barrel.

Summary
  • Total of 5 floors: the base plus 4 additional floors.
  • Bombs have 12 HP, explode for 10% damage, player who causes it is immune.
  • Barrels are standard platforms if landed on from above, otherwise gently push players out akin to fighter collision.
  • Ladders function as expected from The Subspace Emissary.
  • Bombs cause chain reactions in ladders, walls, and other bombs, player who causes it is immune.
  • Ladders and window segments are destroyed after 1 explosion, light brick after 2, and dark brick after 3.
  • Floors and floor sections fall when 2 or fewer segments exist to support it. This includes ladders.
  • Falling floors destroy bombs and barrels they land on, bombs explode for 10%.
  • Barrels that fall on players trap them, button mashing required to escape, vulnerable in the meantime.
  • Stage replenishes itself with additional floors that fall from the sky.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Making this a comment since it's not the sort of thing I normally concern myself with in these threads, but I was curious just how high the upper blast line was so I did some testing with Jigglypuff's rest vs. Mario on the top floor, the same sort of test done by @Pazx in his Ceiling Height Research Thread. The results were surprising.

Jigglypuff kills Mario at 19% with Rest on the top floor, and the black lightning effect appears at 22%. Duck Hunt, for comparison, lets Mario die from the top platform on the tree at 13%.

Conclusion: Wrecking Crew has a really high ceiling.

Last edited:

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
So, standard attacks can or cannot break the wall segments?

Also, does the explosion of a bottom segment of a ladder cause the segments above to shatter?

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So, standard attacks can or cannot break the wall segments?

Also, does the explosion of a bottom segment of a ladder cause the segments above to shatter?
Standard attacks cannot break wall segments, only bombs and the chain reactions they cause.

Ladders are a singular unit and the entire thing breaks at once.

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
Is mashing out of the barrel roughly equivalent to mashing out of Nabbit's bag? As in, the mashing time increases based on damage, and at <100% you should escape in about 2 seconds?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Is mashing out of the barrel roughly equivalent to mashing out of Nabbit's bag? As in, the mashing time increases based on damage, and at <100% you should escape in about 2 seconds?
Even at 0% it took about 5 seconds so I'd say it's harder to escape than Nabbit. (Then again I'm a bad button masher so someone better may be able to do it faster.)

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
For bonus info from just messing with the Barrels, you're trapped for 10 seconds if you don't mash (don't think anyone would do this, but it's something okay to know I suppose).

HavocThunder

Smash Cadet
NNID
HavocThunder
Now that I'm back and rejuvenated from my break, I'd like to contribute some of my updated notes on this stage. I tried to take out any redundant info. I took pictures of every different platform layout pattern too, so I'll add those in a sec. Feel free to correct any mistake in numbers:

Stage Layout
  • The top blast line is where the 8th floor would be. Kirby kills Mario off the 5th floor with an uncharged up-smash at 75%. If you do this from the bottom floor instead, he lands exactly 3 floors above. Yes, this stage has a crazy tall blast zone!
  • Normal Wrecking Crew is as wide as its Omega Form
  • There are 10 unique platform layout patterns. When a match starts, one of these layouts is pulled randomly at the bottom and the rest is filled in on top. (EDIT: I can't count)
  • Layouts have varying floor sizes. They vary from 1-3 floors.
  • Some layouts have variations on where barrels and ladders are, but the variations themselves are fixed. (You could count each as its own layout with no issue)
  • Every layout with a ladder has a bomb spawner next to each one. This means that every ladder can always be destroyed.
  • Since every floor with a ladder has at least 2 floors, a ladder will always connect with the bottom or top of any floor layout.
  • Ladders that go off screen lead nowhere at the top
  • Mario can clear a floor in a single jump. Not everyone can do this, but anyone with at least his jump height can do it too.
Bombs
  • I believe bombs have 14 HP, not 12 HP. Can't immediately verify this since I don't have my Wii U nearby, but I remember verifying this at some point twice.
  • Any kind of wall explosion will kill Mario from the bottom center floor at 207%
  • A bomb exploding on Mario (whether he falls on one or stands in front of it) kills at 182-184% from the bottom center floor, depending on where he is in the bomb’s hitbox.
  • Anything that would pierce through a character will go through a bomb. (Dragon Rush, Ripping Boomerang, etc.)
  • Anything that stops on hit/block will not. (Most non-custom projectiles including lasers, Peach Bomber, Flare Blitz)
  • Olimar's Pikmin are an exception. Pikmin thrown with Side-B will go right through bombs with no interaction, except Purple Pikmin who go through AND damage them.
  • Bombs falling on a player will not trigger an explosion.
Bomb Respawn Rules
  • Bombs spawn one floor at a time.
  • Bombs will never spawn on the top floor.
  • Bombs will not respawn until an entire floor of bombs gets destroyed.
  • Only 2 different floors are allowed to have bombs on them.
  • Bombs can spawn on floors about to get squashed by the one above.
Up-Throws
  • Charizard’s Up-Throw kills Mario at 189% from the top floor and 158% from a barrel at the top. For reference, his D-Throw kills from the center bottom floor at around 173%.
  • MK’s Up-Throw kills Mario at 110% from the top floor and 88% off a barrel at the top.
  • Kirby’s Up-Throw kills Mario at 109% from the top floor and 83% off a barrel at the top.
Barrels
  • Barrels are unblockable and will catch you midair if you touch their hitbox while falling. It's possible to air dodge out of the way of falling barrels, but the timing is very strict.
  • Sometimes getting caught in a barrel leaves you in a shield break animation. Not sure how to consistently reproduce this yet.
  • Your percent definitely affects how much mashing is needed to escape a barrel, but not sure how much.
  • Most character's special moves that move them forward ignore barrels, but Bowser's Whirling Fortress has a difficult time moving through. More research is needed to find other exceptions.
Navigating Ladders
  • Grabbing onto a ladder cancels the helpless animation (!!!)
  • You have 3 options when grabbing a ladder: climb up, climb down, and get off by hitting side.
  • If dodging or a move needs to be done, you have to cancel your climbing animation with side first. It’s easier to do side-b and side-aerials off of ladders because of this.
  • It’s impossible to do an up-aerial or down-aerial directly in front of a ladder, even if you use the C-stick.
What’s Influenced by RNG?
  • Starting layout pattern
  • Which row, out of the set of possible rows, will be picked when a floor of bombs is destroyed
  • Which new layout will come from the top when floors fall down

Last edited:

HavocThunder

Smash Cadet
NNID
HavocThunder
The layout of Wrecking Crew is semi-random. The game pulls from a list of 10 predefined platform layouts whenever it needs to make a new one, with some specific variations in barrels and ladders in a few layouts. I'm not sure if the layout is picked then the variation OR the layout + variation is picked from a pool of all combinations. The patterns with 3 floors intentionally have more versions than others, and I've personally ran into them way more often. My experiences here suggest the latter, but there might be more to this story?

I'm not going to take pictures of every single possible combination, but the variations are straightforward enough to point out.

If a barrel is outlined in red, that means:
  • There's a set of floor patterns with that barrel there, and a set without.
  • There's a floor pattern with AT LEAST one barrel there.
If ladders are outlined in yellow, that means:
  • There's a set of floor patterns with those ladders there, and a set without.
  • Every pattern with these ladders will either have both ladders or none.
The walls have some small variations, but the only thing that affects is how many times the wall will explode before crumbling. The bomb spawner locations are fixed and the same amount of walls end up left behind after exploding.

Here are the layouts: (EDIT: I'll have to take some time to make my pictures bigger...)
Layout Number|Height|Picture|Notes
Layout 1|1|
|The wall can have a length of 4-8 and either align to the left, center (as pictured), or the right. Weak walls will never spawn here.
Layout 2|2|
|There's 3 possible variations of this layout.
Layout 3|2|
|No barrels have been spotted here yet.
Layout 4|2|
|A barrel will be at one red spot or the other, but not both.
Layout 5|2|
|The barrel is always there.
Layout 6|3|
|This is a very common layout since it has 7 versions.
Layout 7|3|
|No barrels have been spotted here yet.
Layout 8|3|
|This is the most common layout you'll see in Wrecking Crew. There's 15 versions of this one. This is the only layout observed so far with varying ladders.
Layout 9|3|
|No extra variations have been observed here yet. Bombs naturally can't spawn on the second floor here.
Layout 10|3|
|It's possible that there's a variation here with the barrel, but there's no proof of it yet. Bombs naturally can't spawn on the third floor here.

Yes, this is probably one of the most complicated stages to explain in Smash history. @_@ Thankfully, the easiest way to learn the rules is to go check out Wrecking Crew in Masterpieces or NES Remix. Finally, some use for Masterpieces...

If you spot any more variations, definitely post about it. Everything noted in red and yellow I've managed to find while capturing pictures of the 10 layouts.

EDIT 2: There's one really important fact that needs to be said about Wrecking Crew because it's a huge factor in matches here: Nothing happens here if no one touches the bombs. or to better phrase it: Nothing happens if no one can reach a bomb.

EDIT 3: I'd like to get some actual data on this, but my hypothesis is that the starting layout is chosen out of the 10, with its variation chosen afterwards, while the layouts coming from the top are pulled from the pool of all possible combinations. That might explain why I generally get an even spread of layouts when I reset a million times in Training Mode compared to pulling the stage down. It's a reasonable explanation, but it's not proven fully true yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom