• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Wow the 3DS graphics look bad

volbound1700

Smash Master
You do know Sakurai wanted to only make it on the 3ds at first? We are lucky he decided to do both (I wish they were spaced out a bit so we got like a smash 4.5 in 2 or 3 years but whatever.) Also the 3ds was struggling when it first came out, so just wait till they release a true zelda/mario/smash/mariokart and it will be fine. Contrary to popular belief the wii u isn't as big of a failure as gaming news sites like to make it seem.

Well it is catching up to Xbox One international (Xbox has only been popular in US). Sony is on a whole other level at the moment.

When I think of Smash, I think of people gathering around a tv to play against each other, that is why it fits so well on consoles. Hard to do that with handhelds. You can play over the network but there are always lagging issues with that. If Nintendo can avoid lagging, it will be a success.

Also yes the media is exaggerating on Wii U but being 6 million units under their goal is a pretty noticeable statement about where the Wii U stands.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well it is catching up to Xbox One international (Xbox has only been popular in US). Sony is on a whole other level at the moment.

When I think of Smash, I think of people gathering around a tv to play against each other, that is why it fits so well on consoles. Hard to do that with handhelds. You can play over the network but there are always lagging issues with that. If Nintendo can avoid lagging, it will be a success.

Also yes the media is exaggerating on Wii U but being 6 million units under their goal is a pretty noticeable statement about where the Wii U stands.
The X Box was never that big internationally like the Playstation or Nintendo consoles. Heck, until several years (4-5ish I believe) back they were cutting a loss every year and they are just now making a profit off of the consoles. Sony had to sell off some of their warehouses a while back since they actually were losing money on everything but their systems. Nintendo is fine- they have money to fall back on and the 3ds sales as well, plus the wiiu's sales picked up this last holiday season for them. All three of them are completely fine and won't be going anywhere for a while. Also the 3ds would be great for con goers or people who travel a lot similar to how the handheld mario karts are played.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well Wii U is not fine, it is a failure, but not tragic end of Nintendo like media is stating.

Here is a good article about the problems with Nintendo:

http://www.minyanville.com/sectors/...46?camp=syndication&medium=portals&from=yahoo

I still think Nintendo would have been better off having at least 2 big name must haves (Zelda, Smash, Mario, etc.) at the opening of the console.
That is all good in theory, but they do try and keep the larger franchise's main games (Zelda/Mario) as their own main company projects, so they couldn't work on them at the same time. (Also remember during pikmin 3's development they struggled with the change to HD graphics since it takes more time/manpower to make HD games and they were not prepared for it.) Again that article claims Nintendo should develop apps so I already dislike it (If that was true popular app designers wouldn't be going bankrupt... but look it is happening.) The app market is not the way to go. Apps can easily have millions of rip offs made and you don't make enough money to run as large a business as Nintendo is. Also the WiiU's specs are not as bad as this claims. It is not behind last gens as they claim. Also it may lack CPU but it does have some pros in other areas. A lot of it was marketing, but it might have been a good move to wait and push marketing till this year when the ps4/xbox one launched because now the wiiu has games and clear competition for the consumer to realize they are next gen consoles. Anyways didn't mean to derail the thread, sorry, let's get back to topic.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Did people have to wait for a Mario game to come out on the 3DS?
Super Mario 3DS is already out lol. They also have A Link Between Worlds and Spirit Tracks for Zelda games.

@ DonkaFjord DonkaFjord

While I am sympathetic to Nintendo and agree they are not fallen apart as the media depicts, there were many problems and mistakes made with the Wii U. You are arguing against people who are experts in this field. I know IGN, Fool.com, Gamespy, etc. all make Wii U look like crap but there is a point to their arguments. Nintendo made some very bad mistakes on the level of Sega with the Dreamcast. Nintendo is in a lot favorable position then SEGA as you pointed out with their cash reserves and the 3DS. SEGA also had repeated poor consoles with the Sega Genesis being their only real gem. Nintendo is not in SEGA's position but it is very much falling behind in Sony when it comes to game library, graphics, quality, online play, sales, etc.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Super Mario 3DS is already out lol. They also have A Link Between Worlds and Spirit Tracks for Zelda games.

@ DonkaFjord DonkaFjord

While I am sympathetic to Nintendo and agree they are not fallen apart as the media depicts, there were many problems and mistakes made with the Wii U. You are arguing against people who are experts in this field. I know IGN, Fool.com, Gamespy, etc. all make Wii U look like crap but there is a point to their arguments. Nintendo made some very bad mistakes on the level of Sega with the Dreamcast. Nintendo is in a lot favorable position then SEGA as you pointed out with their cash reserves and the 3DS. SEGA also had repeated poor consoles with the Sega Genesis being their only real gem. Nintendo is not in SEGA's position but it is very much falling behind in Sony when it comes to game library, graphics, quality, online play, sales, etc.
Sure now, but people had to wait for it. 3D Land wasn't a launch title.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I hate when people make that comparison because Sega did so much wrong before the Dreamcast. The dreamcast was not the central reason why they failed because they made some really bad investments alongside it (Also the market was different compared to today- Even the Western and Japanese video gaming market and taste are very different.) Also may I point out you are saying they are "experts" of a field that is only 20-30 years old and filled with biased based viewpoints. There are very few true experts in gaming. I mean how many years have they thrown around that "XYZ company doomed!" It is all based on educated guessing because they can not predict the consumer's actions fully. (Also adding a related image than in hindsight is pretty funny and how I feel some of gaming news will look a few years down the line.)

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I hate when people make that comparison because Sega did so much wrong before the Dreamcast. The dreamcast was not the central reason why they failed because they made some really bad investments alongside it (Also the market was different compared to today- Even the Western and Japanese video gaming market and taste are very different.) Also may I point out you are saying they are "experts" of a field that is only 20-30 years old and filled with biased based viewpoints. There are very few true experts in gaming. I mean how many years have they thrown around that "XYZ company doomed!" It is all based on educated guessing because they can not predict the consumer's actions fully. (Also adding a related image than in hindsight is pretty funny and how I feel some of gaming news will look a few years down the line.)

Is Sega even relevant anymore...?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
SEGA has Total War series, that is keeping them relevant. That and Sonic.
It'd be nice if they gave some of the other franchises represented in their racing crossover some light to make them more relevant so they don't have to fill have the racers with just sonic characters. I'd love to finally be able to try Billy Hatcher/ Jet set radio/ Crazy Taxi/ Space Channel 5.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
It'd be nice if they gave some of the other franchises represented in their racing crossover some light to make them more relevant so they don't have to fill have the racers with just sonic characters. I'd love to finally be able to try Billy Hatcher/ Jet set radio/ Crazy Taxi/ Space Channel 5.
Ummmm....Streets of Rage people...........Ecco the dolphin........Because if you can make green dinosaurs drives why not dolphins.....Ok that actually sounds kinda dumb....I just woke up don't blame me =~=

volbound1700

Smash Master
All those characters are in Sonic and Sega Racers... I don't understand your post.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
All those characters are in Sonic and Sega Racers... I don't understand your post.
The characters who are represented in Sega All stars racing whose franchises are "dead"- They should consider making more games for them sometime and revive them. (They aren't really dead series, I know, but they are dormant series at least.)

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Well Wii U is not fine, it is a failure, but not tragic end of Nintendo like media is stating.

Here is a good article about the problems with Nintendo:

http://www.minyanville.com/sectors/...46?camp=syndication&medium=portals&from=yahoo

I still think Nintendo would have been better off having at least 2 big name must haves (Zelda, Smash, Mario, etc.) at the opening of the console.
The Wii U is not a failure. For you to call something a failure, when it has yet to fully live out its lifespan, makes you sound ignorant. Was the Nintendo 64 a failure? The answer doesn't matter, but the point is you can make a decision because it is not in service anymore. Once the Wii U is all said and done, then please, call it whatever you like.

The Wii U doesn't have it's entirely library yet, or even a big one at that. I agree Nintendo made mistakes by overpricing it, as well as not explaining the differences.

Nintendo isn't a failure, neither is the Wii U. Honestly? The general public are idiots, and several retailers are too. Most of them have marketed the Wii U as the Wii, or similar mistakes.

BigTheTank

Smash Rookie
As a fan of Street Fight 4 which sort of also has the outlines such as Smash 3DS, I personally love the art style.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Um, am I here to talk about the Wii-U or the 3DS graphics .-. just asking.....
Personally, Im liking the graphics with the outlines. It really makes the characters stand out

volbound1700

Smash Master
More proof that the Wii U is a disappointment:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugge...cal-forecast-lousy-wii-u-sales-170745376.html

Nintendo sales forcast dropped from 9 million to 2.8 million. That is a significant drop. Nintendo is releasing their big titles too late, that is the problem as I said before. They would have been better waiting a year and a half and releasing Wii U with a ton of big name titles. Nintendo needs a Zelda, Smash, and Mario title within the first year of a console life for it to be successful (that or come up with other big series).

As for Sega, Billy Hatcher is a one-game franchise, Alex Kidd hasn't made a game since the Sega Genesis days (that I know of). Virtual Fighter is a dead franchise as well. The fighter games have passed their golden age. Even Mortal Kombat is no longer selling.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Xbox One isnt exactly a big hit either. I wont worry too much. Just as so long as I get Smash, Mario Kart, and some other games, like Hyrule Warriors

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
I think the screenshots already look quite nice for 3DS. Characters are quite detailed.

thebaum64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebaum64
More proof that the Wii U is a disappointment:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugge...cal-forecast-lousy-wii-u-sales-170745376.html

Nintendo sales forcast dropped from 9 million to 2.8 million. That is a significant drop. Nintendo is releasing their big titles too late, that is the problem as I said before. They would have been better waiting a year and a half and releasing Wii U with a ton of big name titles. Nintendo needs a Zelda, Smash, and Mario title within the first year of a console life for it to be successful (that or come up with other big series).

As for Sega, Billy Hatcher is a one-game franchise, Alex Kidd hasn't made a game since the Sega Genesis days (that I know of). Virtual Fighter is a dead franchise as well. The fighter games have passed their golden age. Even Mortal Kombat is no longer selling.
Sales will heavily increase once the new Super Smash is out. Also, in my opinion, the graphics on the 3DS might not be so bad. I don't think the screenshots do it justice.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
3ds games look better when they are played on an actual 3ds
You're right, all the Pokemon X and Y screens made the game look awful. Playing the game and it was beautiful.

If you access your Miiverse account on your 3DS you can look at the Pics of the Day and the game looks great.

thebaum64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebaum64
You're right, all the Pokemon X and Y screens made the game look awful. Playing the game and it was beautiful.

If you access your Miiverse account on your 3DS you can look at the Pics of the Day and the game looks great.
yep, we can hope it will be good :)

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
You guys.

What about KI:U? That game was incredible.
What about MU:3U? That game was incredible.
What about MU4? That game looks incredible.
What about FE:A? That game looks incredible.

Any other games that are and look incredible? Countless.
Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS? Holy ****, what am I even doing in the usa, can I please work for nintendo and look at everything they do, jesus.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't know why people are comparing the 3DS version with the Wii U version. What they should do is compare Smash for 3DS with other 3DS games. Doing that, the 3DS version looks really impressive in its own right.

CluelessRain

Smash Rookie
Sorry, I am not trying to troll but when you see the Wii U against the 3DS pictures, it is like the 3DS pictures where put together by someone using photo-shop online. They look terrible at times. The first time I saw the 3DS pictures, I thought it was a photo-shopped and not real.

I am trying to not be negative about it but IMO, Melee has better graphics than the 3DS.
I can see why you would think that, but that is just because the 3DS's graphics drop quialtiy when being recorded. Theylook quite nice when you are actually playing the 3DS. I'm sure it is not aas bad as we are expecting.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think the graphics look amazing for a 3DS game. Plus, the art style they are going for is SO charming.

Top Bottom