• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you pay for new color palettes as DLC?

Would you pay money for new color palettes?

• Yes

Votes: 57 62.6%
  • No

Votes: 34 37.4%

• Total voters

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So yeah, question is in the title.

I certainly would, depending on how they look of course.

As a Wario player since the Brawl days, I really miss the 2 classic color variants they cut, especially the grubby looking one with the yellow gloves. that was always my favorite.

So yeah, how about you, guys?

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I have a bro that mains Luigi and he told me he would straight up throw a $20 bill at the chance to purchase a Mr. L palette swap xD

I loooooved the yellow and black alt of Olimar from Brawl that they cut for crappy Alph >_<

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I want a Mega man pack of alt colors, he could have so many...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Only if it's Dry Bowser, 80's Cartoon Pac-Man, or Mario Kart DS R.O.B.

gamegalaxy64

Smash Cadet
NNID
flarefusion1
3DS FC
1048-9074-1793
Yarn Yoshi, Boshi, and White Yoshi, just saying.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
>Shiny Jigglypuff, Lucario, Greninja, and Charizard
>SCD mask for Sonic
>Bad Box Art color scheme for Megs
>Ghostly!Pac
>Alpha!Evil Ryu
>1985 Bowser
>Hilda alt for Zelda
>Pink Gold Peach

Other than that, no. All the colors we have are perfectly fine. :4sonic:

Khao

Smash Lord
No freaking way.

I only buy content that actually adds something to the game, not just change aesthetics. New characters? New stages? Bring it on.

Giving an existing character a new color? Ehhh, no. And I'd seriously be extremely dissapointed with Nintendo if they ever charged for something as ridiculously minor as that.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I will buy it as long as it is for a character I use. and I will go for it if it does add something new with it. Like a stage, trophy, music, etc.

WellDieYoung

Smash Rookie
I would definitely! Especially for Zelda, since her colors are all pretty much dark and dead. I don't like the fact that the blue is too dark and the green isn't really noticeable since it only covers her upper dress & corset.. I want the Melee looking Zelda & especially her hair. And for Peach as Daisy, I miss the fact that she was a bit more tan in Melee and had a different looking dress than Peach herself..

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
No. I only buy DLC just to add more content to the game like new characters, stages and ****.

Soup's On!

Smash Cadet
Yes, but only if it was a large amount of them (4 for a single character is not nearly enough), and not for any more than a dollar.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
No freaking way.

I only buy content that actually adds something to the game, not just change aesthetics. New characters? New stages? Bring it on.

Giving an existing character a new color? Ehhh, no. And I'd seriously be extremely dissapointed with Nintendo if they ever charged for something as ridiculously minor as that.
The funny thing is, you also have to pay money to purchase a single Mii headgear (such as Majora's Mask), but the price is usually less than $1 if you're only purchasing the DLC for one of the two games.

Khao

Smash Lord
The funny thing is, you also have to pay money to purchase a single Mii headgear (such as Majora's Mask), but the price is usually less than $1 if you're only purchasing the DLC for one of the two games.
I don't buy those either, haha.

Though those are at least completely new costumes, with different models and all.

Something that's just a simple color swap? Ew.

If it was like... In a super cool pack that did something like adding a couple extra colors for every single character, then I can see how that'd be worth my money (and I'd still heavily consider it, even if it was cheap). Othewise, nope.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I wouldn't by palette swaps.
Costumes for the main-non mii characters? Absolutely.

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
I say Nintendo should go further and give us a palette creator so that we may create our own palette swaps. I'd pay for that.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I say Nintendo should go further and give us a palette creator so that we may create our own palette swaps. I'd pay for that.
Actually, I agree with that. It would give the game another thing to do.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Color palette? Hell no. Costume? Depends on the price, Mama didn't raise no sucker (though I guess I would have to if it was for my main...)

Actually, I agree with that. It would give the game another thing to do.
Oh like old school Guilty Gear! I made all my characters look like shadows... I'm not very creative...

Last edited:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Depends on the size of the content. If it's a huge pack that gives a lot of alt costumes to all of the characters, then yes. If it's piecemeal, probably not unless I really liked the costume and used the character often enough.

Silxer

Smash Apprentice
That would be pretty nice, give each smash player their own unique style for the characters they use.

Robbl

Smash Cadet
I want my mirror shield for Toon Link. The normal shield looks ****..

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
You know a part of me wants to say no right now but tbh I'd probably buy up anything Ike related. And couple that with the fact that out of all of Ike's palettes (aside from the original obviously) there's only one I like and another I don't mind. And I feel like some variation of white, black, and pink should be colors that everyone has. In fact if Nintendo just put up a pink palette for every character for purchase then I'd just buy that cause yeah.

I mean Nintendo would probably just do alt costumes if anything. Which I also wouldn't be against purchasing if it looks really cool.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I would actually love to see DLC costume/palette swaps become a thing. Even if it was just one or two extra per character. I'd go out of my way to buy any and all swaps they released (yes, even for characters I don't even play as). As long as they are interesting and unique I'd be pretty happy and okay with it. Besides there are a few characters that could use a few special swaps to make them stand out a little more, Pac-Man being one example.

So in short: Yes, yes I would.

Last edited:

Blablabug

Smash Cadet
It would depend on the pricing but seing the price of a single mii costume, I would say it is a "no". Plus this game already has really cool color swaps so I don't really see the use of making a dlc for that.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I would pay for much cosmetic DLC.

With that said, it is a way for Nintendo to make money, and some having it and others not doesn't divide the community in any way. (unless somehow it provides an advantage... but as long as size & hit boxes don't change it shouldn't.) So I am ok with the idea.

It would depend on the pricing but seing the price of a single mii costume, I would say it is a "no". Plus this game already has really cool color swaps so I don't really see the use of making a dlc for that.
This is pure speculation, but I think character skins would sell better than Mii skins. I am not sure Mii Fighters are popular enough to bring in a ton of money.

I though about buying the bundle with mii skins when I downloaded characters... but I realized the odds of me + friends ever making enough Mii Fighters to use them were really low.

But I could be wrong... maybe I underestimate their popularity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Yeah, I probably would. I would want some neat costumes though other than just color swaps.

D

Deleted member 269706

If they were good, but I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't fail us in that regard, and I'm sure that they'd keep it at reasonable prices. Love to see Dark Bowser, Mr. L as Luigi, Daisy for Peach, Galacta Knight as Meta Knight, Shiny Pokemon, Vacationing Mario Sunshine Mario (for Doc), Protoman for Megaman, Koopa Kids (from Mario Party games) for Bowser Jr. , Dixie Kong for Diddy, Funky Kong for DK, Chrom for Lucina, Wolf (for Fox if no DLC), Ken for Ryu, and many others.

Columbidae

Smash Cadet
Definitely.

Link's and Zelda's Skyward Sword skins, Villagers from Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Yarn Kirby and cat suits from Super Mario 3D World are the ones I would instantly buy.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Abso frigging lutely! I love cosmetics, ranging from Call of Duty to Hearthstone (golden cards, not the embarrassing portraits). If I could spend $20-$30 and double the amount of skins available for use, I totally would.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
The only reason why I say no is because knowing nintendo they wouldn't just model an alternate costume and would just re-color the character and over-price it. If I wanted a re-color I'd rather pay 50 cents for it than a probable dollar and a half for it. I shouldn't be assuming Nintendo would do this but most companies do from my experience. Personally, seeing a dry bones bowser or an armored ike in smash 4 would make me waste the money for it, especially a armored up ike referencing hector.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
The only reason why I say no is because knowing nintendo they wouldn't just model an alternate costume and would just re-color the character and over-price it. If I wanted a re-color I'd rather pay 50 cents for it than a probable dollar and a half for it. I shouldn't be assuming Nintendo would do this but most companies do from my experience. Personally, seeing a dry bones bowser or an armored ike in smash 4 would make me waste the money for it, especially a armored up ike referencing hector.
This is a hypothetical situation, though. Imagine each character got 4 or 5 costumes that were as unique as the ones in Project M. I'd happily give Nintendo some money for that.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
This is a hypothetical situation, though. Imagine each character got 4 or 5 costumes that were as unique as the ones in Project M. I'd happily give Nintendo some money for that.
The problem with the unique ones is that they take much more time than a re-color, and I mean a lot more time. It does depend on the complexity obviously but where a simple re-color takes a good few minutes to see what combinations fit, a new model takes probably 2 days to make sure nothing glitchy happens and it looks good. I mean you have seen what happens when you switch C. Falcon's model with pikachu right? A model that doesn't work for a character is glitchy :p

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
The problem with the unique ones is that they take much more time than a re-color, and I mean a lot more time. It does depend on the complexity obviously but where a simple re-color takes a good few minutes to see what combinations fit, a new model takes probably 2 days to make sure nothing glitchy happens and it looks good. I mean you have seen what happens when you switch C. Falcon's model with pikachu right? A model that doesn't work for a character is glitchy :p
To change my original statement, imagine each character got 10 palette swaps, and good ones at that. Zebra Charizard, golden R.O.B., etc. I would still very definitely want them.

Top Bottom