• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would u buy Brawl even if it has no online?? I certainly wouldnt. read b4 post

Arymo

Smash Rookie
Online would be nice but only if it can run smooth, maybe some voice chat.

Id buy Brawl with or without online cause nothing can beat the experience of playing with a friend when you guys are in the same room

Wreked

Smash Lord
Online would be nice but only if it can run smooth, maybe some voice chat.

Id buy Brawl with or without online cause nothing can beat the experience of playing with a friend when you guys are in the same room
I highly doubt that Nintendo will have voice chat. You know there is going to be some random teenage kid cuss you out when he kills you. Like f**k yeah, I just ***** you a** b***h. Nintendo is family oriented, there not going to risk this. I personally don't care about online, but I think voice chat would be cool on online co-op for subspace(if they have it). But yeah voice chat would ruin Nintendo goal, family. Could you imagine what a heart attack grandma would have if she heard f**k you b***h go to h**l back where your f*****g a** belongs.

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
I'd certaintly buy it, but I really would like online play so I can actually play against skilled players, considering everyone where I live isn't really all that great at Smash.

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
Most of you think that online wouldnt be competitive. I agree in case ur talking about lag, cause yes, brawl couldnt do it if there was lag. But otherwise i think it would actually be very competitive

I forgot, when i opened the thread, that most people here at smashboards must be for USA. Well, im not, and theres A LOT of smash players who arent either.

In the USA is A LOT easier to find a tournament near u, thus, fight good players. Well, theres waaay to much people worldwide who cant do that.. Ive been diyng to participate in an USA tournament, i assume the are some great players there, but i just cant go there =(

Here, where i live, there used to be 1 or 2 tournaments a year, there arent anymore, but anyway, they sucked, there werent even more than 20 players, and most of them were REALLY bad

So, u get what i mean. I consider myself a very good player, and my only competition is a friend of mine, actually we always won every tournament, no one wanted to participate anymore, they knew one of us was going to win

Even if is not competitive and u just play for fun, well, is not fun to win so easily

Thats why think online is important, not everyone has the advantages of being in USA. So, if anyone knows of a big tournament to be held here in Mexico, or a cheap way to go to one in USA let me know XD otherwise, the answer is good online play

susu_atari

Smash Ace
TC, you're just a cheapskate.

Your friends aren't gonna like it if they dish out the cash for brawl, and you're saying "I'll just come play yours, then I'll borrow your copy, that you've paid for, because I don't want to buy it myself, because it doesn't have online, and I wanted to play with other people, who aren't my friends".

I hope you enjoy it when your friends don't actually let you go and play it with them. If you don't buy Brawl, you'd better buy some beers.

B01001101ownz

Smash Apprentice
I will admit that multiplayer is the greatest part of melee however with the SE added I think single player will be great. I really do hope that the game has online though

SSB_FANATIC

Smash Rookie
Most of you think that online wouldnt be competitive. I agree in case ur talking about lag, cause yes, brawl couldnt do it if there was lag. But otherwise i think it would actually be very competitive

I forgot, when i opened the thread, that most people here at smashboards must be for USA. Well, im not, and theres A LOT of smash players who arent either.

In the USA is A LOT easier to find a tournament near u, thus, fight good players. Well, theres waaay to much people worldwide who cant do that.. Ive been diyng to participate in an USA tournament, i assume the are some great players there, but i just cant go there =(

Here, where i live, there used to be 1 or 2 tournaments a year, there arent anymore, but anyway, they sucked, there werent even more than 20 players, and most of them were REALLY bad

So, u get what i mean. I consider myself a very good player, and my only competition is a friend of mine, actually we always won every tournament, no one wanted to participate anymore, they knew one of us was going to win

Even if is not competitive and u just play for fun, well, is not fun to win so easily

Thats why think online is important, not everyone has the advantages of being in USA. So, if anyone knows of a big tournament to be held here in Mexico, or a cheap way to go to one in USA let me know XD otherwise, the answer is good online play
Yeah, lucky I live in Canada, and I'm a few hour drive from Buffalo, New York. So, I can still go to one in NYC! But there are tournaments in Eroupe, and Austraila, AND in Japan. Besides, you can just go play with your friends.

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
I myself dont buy games xD my brothers do, and they work/school mostly all day long, so i just enjoy all their purchases, but i bet my bro will buy it even if its 'worse' than melee, im completly sure he'll buy it so im not worrying at al on not getting it, but if it has online, i'll spend hours,if not days playing it nonstop, also since not many of my friend have a wii, just know of one who does, my house will become like a brawl-playing place, so i dont mind not having online, cause i think most of the time i'll have many people to play with.

So, conclusion on topic is, i'll get it if it has or not online gameplay.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
Preaching along with the choir (...Ironic joke with me being a bass...), I heavily doubt online will become a serious tourney platform purely because of the risk of lag. 24/7 human match-ups, playing against distant friends, and just generally not playing computers are reasons why online has become a gaming standard as a feature. Some games are still good offline as Nintendo tries to prove, there's no point in an online Zelda, but with competitive games denying the possibility for an online community cuts back the replay value by a margin.

Walk-in tourneys will still be the norm, online is just not pro-caliber reliable. Is it fun, useful, and refreshing? Heck yes. Is it the future of competitive play? I can imagine the pros using online to practice religiously, seeing them sparring their teams from each other's houses, spamming the random opponent option whenever they feel the need, maybe even doing friendly matches with the funky items and stages. Then, the tourney dates go by, and in-person competitive rankings go on as they always have. I'm more curious how Brawl will improve or change the competitive rules than if it has rankings or disconnect penalties.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
They should make groups of states like say your 3-4 surrounding states only playable with eachother and only playable if you have a decent cable connection and all your problems are solved. lag would be so minimal that it wouldnt even matter.

brawl online ftw.

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
TC, you're just a cheapskate.

Your friends aren't gonna like it if they dish out the cash for brawl, and you're saying "I'll just come play yours, then I'll borrow your copy, that you've paid for, because I don't want to buy it myself, because it doesn't have online, and I wanted to play with other people, who aren't my friends".

I hope you enjoy it when your friends don't actually let you go and play it with them. If you don't buy Brawl, you'd better buy some beers.
Well, im guessing u dont have good friends, or any friends at all!! but i do, and theyre cool. If i dont buy brawl, ill gladly send u some pics of us playing XD

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Well, I would simply like to reiterate something since my recently received hate mail indicates a misunderstanding.

People like me are unopposed to having online play. It will be a wonderful feature, and I am sure I will play people online if the lag is tolerable. In a worst case scenario, the online play will be nonfunctional, and the community will resume the way it has been operating for years.

Now, the reason I am so outspoken on this issue is the group of people who claim that Brawl will fail if it does not have online capabilities (hence the title of this thread). Despite Melee being in its sixth year of activity, somehow Brawl simply cannot live up to its predecessor's hype without adding a completely unnecessary feature. In all my travels for smash tournaments, I rarely hear anyone wish upon a star that smash could be played online. Rather, they discuss balance issues, characters who were passed up (namely Sonic), and even menu interface improvements! The point is that nothing compares with the real life interaction at tournaments. If you do not attend tournaments then I more fully understand your desire for online play, but that still does not explain this other random hatred toward a well built adventure mode!

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
Now, the reason I am so outspoken on this issue is the group of people who claim that Brawl will fail if it does not have online capabilities (hence the title of this thread).
Mmm, you are right, the title of the thread might seem like i mean that brawl will fail if it has no online. BUT if u read the entire post, u will find out that it is not what i meant, and that actually i DO think brawl is gonna be great, like ive stated in more recent posts

LOST_815

Smash Cadet
My friends and I who played the hell out of Melee in college no longer live near each other. If Brawl doesn't have online, I will be in no rush to buy it or a Wii. Simple as that...

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
My friends and I who played the hell out of Melee in college no longer live near each other. If Brawl doesn't have online, I will be in no rush to buy it or a Wii. Simple as that...
So, you would rather deny yourself the greatest smash experience ever than simply make new friends in person? My college smash crew has all moved away too, but I am meeting new smashers all the time.

GregUnit

Smash Journeyman
They should make groups of states like say your 3-4 surrounding states only playable with eachother and only playable if you have a decent cable connection and all your problems are solved. lag would be so minimal that it wouldnt even matter.

brawl online ftw.
What about Hawiians? lol

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I... Would have to say this is a VERY VERY VERY Tough question.

Just about every game these days has online and it would be a big disappointment with no online.

All my friends that I used to play Smash with are.. in different friend circles and the only one I have to really play with is my brother.

I would say Yes.. but its would be a toughy..

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I'd buy it if it didn't have online. All of the friends I play with are still pretty close and, with the expanded 1P and the fact that I enjoy everything about SSB, not just the multiplayer, I'd be fine without it.

I'd like online and I'd play it. But it isn't some gamebreaking requirement for me.

Silpheed

Smash Journeyman
Online or not, I'm buying it. Neither the Original, or Melee had Online, so don't be ******** about Brawl.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I... Would have to say this is a VERY VERY VERY Tough question.

Just about every game these days has online and it would be a big disappointment with no online.

All my friends that I used to play Smash with are.. in different friend circles and the only one I have to really play with is my brother.

I would say Yes.. but its would be a toughy..
I guess that would be the case for some people.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
I'd probably still buy it, because thats what everyone will be playing and thats what I'd need to practice on. However, I'd hate Nintendo for it if it weren't online.

I'd actually be tempted to mod my Wii and pirate the game out of sheer principle, but there aren't even enough good games on the Wii to warrant that.

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I won't like Online is because it will show me how bad I really am. If it has friend code option (And I stress as OPTION, not as the main waay), I could play much more frequently with my friends.

Jackal478

Smash Ace
I'm buying Brawl hands down.

And who ever said there wont be online play they announced it a while ago, and they haven't mentioned it because....there's nothing to add to it.

Think if they popped up saying "Oh yes, It'll be online with WiiConnect24!"

And that doesn't mean anything to players.

I'm certain online will be there.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Brawl not having online won't deter me from buying the game at all. It'd just be a cool new feature, but it's not the reason I'm buying the game for and it certainly isn't a requirement for me.

bored

Smash Ace
Seeing as how Metroid Prime 3 was announced no Wifi it was a deal breaker for me, sorry but thats just how it goes. Nintendo has screwed us over once and i'm hoping they don't again.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Seeing as how Metroid Prime 3 was announced no Wifi it was a deal breaker for me, sorry but thats just how it goes. Nintendo has screwed us over once and i'm hoping they don't again.
That's a horrible comparison. Prime 3 doesn't even have multiplayer, let alone online. Brawl will have multiplayer, and probably online. Metroid has never been about multiplayer anyway, so online/multiplayer would be tacked on. Smash, on the other hand, has never been about single player. Prime 3 and Brawl are completely different beasts.

bored

Smash Ace
That's a horrible comparison. Prime 3 doesn't even have multiplayer, let alone online. Brawl will have multiplayer, and probably online. Metroid has never been about multiplayer anyway, so online/multiplayer would be tacked on. Smash, on the other hand, has never been about single player. Prime 3 and Brawl are completely different beasts.
Hunters had Wifi, so theres no excuse.. But I see what you mean, there both different.. but you have to admit Nintendo is doing **** with online for Wii..

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Hunters had Wifi, so theres no excuse.. But I see what you mean, there both different.. but you have to admit Nintendo is doing **** with online for Wii..
Hunters was a spin-off. Prime is the real deal.

but you have to admit Nintendo is doing **** with online for Wii..
Yeah, because Strikers' online is crap and was a waste /sarcasm.

LinkTer

Smash Cadet
I will buy brawl regardless if it has online or not. if it has online thats a reason to buy it (obviously not the only reason). If it doesnt have online thats not a reason to not buy it

Kojy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kojyneox
ill buy it even if it has no online
but i doubt it will lack the online connectivity, nintendo wont make this mistake, knowing it`s their best Mutiplayer game that can rival with alot of the MP game out there
Online, in my opinion, will definitevly be there

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
If you refuse to purchase Brawl without online play, why do you play Melee? If you don't play Melee, why are you even in these forums?

Booshnig

Smash Cadet
I think a ton of people are jumping the gun on the anti-online bandwagon.
I personally don't want to have to organize a meet-up every time I want to fight against another real person. Warcraft 3 tournaments are all live, but it's online mode is tremendous in comparison. I'm also not very interested in meta-gaming in smash bros to take part in tournaments - I'd rather just play brawl against other casual players around the world while sitting on my sofa. Online also lets me play against different people with different strategies each time, instead of fighting my same 2 friends over and over.
It's a very important feature to many people, unfortunately. A lot of people only bought mario kart ds for the wifi mode. I'll still get brawl even if it doesn't have online, but online is a big factor for me, and I thought it'd be the key addition that would bridge the gap between brawl and melee, just as it did with MKDS and double dash. :\

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
Online also lets me play against different people with different strategies each time, instead of fighting my same 2 friends over and over.
:\
Thats true, is cool playing with friends, but after a while, is always the same, u already know their moves, their technics, so having the chance to play always with different people is pretty cool

metroidmania

Smash Cadet
Well I bought Melee without online didn't I? Not that Gamecube has online play anyways, but it was and still is fun regardless.

I think it would be stupid NOT to include online play, but if they decide not to, I'll just do the same thing I do with Melee and play it with other people around.

Top Bottom