• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would it be for the good of the game for spacies to get more nerfs?

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
The way I see it, this can be responded to in two ways:

No, the rest of the cast should be balanced around them,

and Yes, they are overpowered.

But my personal view is that the PMDT are mKing it to where there aren't any moves with guaranteed combo potential at any percent, except they seem to overlook Fox and Falco. Falco is the main culprit here, really, since a really good player can guarantee a dair shine combo for over 50 on most characters, and these combos are incredibly difficult, if not impossible to escape. I would ask for Falco's shine's knockbackntonscale more, but that would lead to lots of Falco's purposely killing off the ceiling really early (which is already easy, especially on Yoshi's)

But thats enough of what I think, share your thoughts.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Yes, yes it would. At least with each patch they get a small nerf. In a few more maybe they will be fine.

Foo

Smash Lord
I think falco is fine, wolf could go either way and fox is completely busted. The only thing keeping him in check is a few really bad matcups. (those matchups aren't even that bad anyway, though)

Last edited:

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
No, the cast should not be balanced around them.
No, they are not overpowered.

I haven't had trouble with a spacie in a long time. They are already quite nerfed. And the rest of the cast always has some form of chaingrab, a couple of which are nearly effortless and completely unfair.

ROB vs Falco/Fox/Wolf is laughable.

What you are asking for is to change Fox/Falco/Wolf into characters that are not spacies anymore.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
The way I see it, this can be responded to in two ways:

No, the rest of the cast should be balanced around them,

and Yes, they are overpowered.

But my personal view is that the PMDT are mKing it to where there aren't any moves with guaranteed combo potential at any percent, except they seem to overlook Fox and Falco. Falco is the main culprit here, really, since a really good player can guarantee a dair shine combo for over 50 on most characters, and these combos are incredibly difficult, if not impossible to escape. I would ask for Falco's shine's knockbackntonscale more, but that would lead to lots of Falco's purposely killing off the ceiling really early (which is already easy, especially on Yoshi's)

But thats enough of what I think, share your thoughts.
I know that this thread is based off the fact that you're friends AND regularly play with one of the best Falcos in SC and the salt is getting to you.

J3f

Smash Cadet
Wolf isn't too bad actually. Fox received the one change that was really needed, changing his up smash to the PAL version. The problem is that (almost) everyone else got nerfed hard. Not just in recovery either.

The problem with fox in 3.02 was that he could kill uptop extremely quickly in a version where most characters had good recoveries. He denied people the chance to get back onstage by killing them uptop. Basically making him the ultimate edge guarder. If this was balanced out so that Fox didn't kill uptop so easily, he'd have to kill off the sides like everyone else, thus he wouldn't negate everyone's recovery. Now recoveries got universally worse, so even if Fox's up air was balanced he can kill off the sides and bottom even more easily now.

The other problem with Fox and Falco are laser spam. either increase endlag or decrease damage and damage scaling.

I'm not sure what needs to be done to tone down Falco's Pillar combos and the like without breaking his combo game.

One last thing, Chaingrabs aren't an acceptable way to balance characters. Not all of the cast have chaingrabs and some have very laggy grabs (Like my main Link) that I can't just throw out in hopes of a Zero to Death combo.

With 3.5 nerfing everyone except Fox, it might as well be called Project M 20XX.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I think people should learn how to play the game before asking for more unwarranted nerfs.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Wolf isn't too bad actually. Fox received the one change that was really needed, changing his up smash to the PAL version. The problem is that (almost) everyone else got nerfed hard. Not just in recovery either.

The problem with fox in 3.02 was that he could kill uptop extremely quickly in a version where most characters had good recoveries. He denied people the chance to get back onstage by killing them uptop. Basically making him the ultimate edge guarder. If this was balanced out so that Fox didn't kill uptop so easily, he'd have to kill off the sides like everyone else, thus he wouldn't negate everyone's recovery. Now recoveries got universally worse, so even if Fox's up air was balanced he can kill off the sides and bottom even more easily now.

The other problem with Fox and Falco are laser spam. either increase endlag or decrease damage and damage scaling.

I'm not sure what needs to be done to tone down Falco's Pillar combos and the like without breaking his combo game.

One last thing, Chaingrabs aren't an acceptable way to balance characters. Not all of the cast have chaingrabs and some have very laggy grabs (Like my main Link) that I can't just throw out in hopes of a Zero to Death combo.

With 3.5 nerfing everyone except Fox, it might as well be called Project M 20XX.
Virtually 80% of this post is wrong. Its ok though, we have all been at this state.

Fox has been nerfed from 3.02 to 3.5 first. Up Air does 17% instead of 18, up smash is more like Melee PAL Up Smash, and a few other things.

Laser spam is pretty ineffective when you sit on a platform and wait.

Falco is NOT broken in 3.5. Melee Falco is literally a step above PM Falco. PM Falco is still strong, but he is not broken, even from a 3.5 context. Falco still has bad recovery, most characters still are good at edgeguarding, etc.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman

I haven't had trouble with a spacie in a long time. They are already quite nerfed. And the rest of the cast always has some form of chaingrab, a couple of which are nearly effortless and completely unfair.

What you are asking for is to change Fox/Falco/Wolf into characters that are not spacies anymore.
No, I'm asking for them not to have guaranteed combos on everyone in the game.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I know that this thread is based off the fact that you're friends AND regularly play with one of the best Falcos in SC and the salt is getting to you.
NIX is anexceptional player, and his Falco is insane, but he doesn't do as well (not to say he does badly) with characters other than Falco, and most of it is related to how well he knows his character. He knows exactly what combos who, till when, and uses it all to his advantage. Other characters he pkays that aren't quite as free aren't as much of a threat however, despite him knowing their combo setups. My point here is that even though he's very good, a lot of success comes from the character he plays.

I'm not being salty, I'm being real. Not that I started this because of him anyway, its just that the PMDT said that certain moves that didn't scale much that started free combos would be altered, yet they conveiniently ignored the spacies.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
NIX is anexceptional player, and his Falco is insane, but he doesn't do as well (not to say he does badly) with characters other than Falco, and most of it is related to how well he knows his character. He knows exactly what combos who, till when, and uses it all to his advantage. Other characters he pkays that aren't quite as free aren't as much of a threat however, despite him knowing their combo setups. My point here is that even though he's very good, a lot of success comes from the character he plays.

I'm not being salty, I'm being real. Not that I started this because of him anyway, its just that the PMDT said that certain moves that didn't scale much that started free combos would be altered, yet they conveiniently ignored the spacies.
This is definitely salt.

Punish game is a huge part of Falco. The only brain dead thing about Falco punishes is shine into aerial/ shffl dair into aerial/up tilt in aerial.

Nix does a lot fo shine and up tilt into aerial. Most Falco's do. However you can distinguish the good Falcos from the bad ones by looking at how they punish. Most Falcos can shine and the FH dair. But only truly good Falcos can get more follow ups afterwards. Thats called game knowledge, strong execution and experience with the character.

Falco is not like 3.02 Lucas. 3.02 Lucas had moves that chain into themselves with no thought on virtually any DI. Falco has one move that does that and only on spacies. Shine.

You main Ness. You shouldn't even be complaining about getting comboed super hard.

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
This is definitely salt.

Punish game is a huge part of Falco. The only brain dead thing about Falco punishes is shine into aerial/ shffl dair into aerial/up tilt in aerial.

Nix does a lot fo shine and up tilt into aerial. Most Falco's do. However you can distinguish the good Falcos from the bad ones by looking at how they punish. Most Falcos can shine and the FH dair. But only truly good Falcos can get more follow ups afterwards. Thats called game knowledge, strong execution and experience with the character.

Falco is not like 3.02 Lucas. 3.02 Lucas had moves that chain into themselves with no thought on virtually any DI. Falco has one move that does that and only on spacies. Shine.

You main Ness. You shouldn't even be complaining about getting comboed super hard.
Falco's up throw is a guaranteed followup, no matter how good your DI is. And on the topic of the shine, it is completely busted. One thing I see very often if Falco juggling Fox, other Falcos, and other fast falling characters just by shining. This can be done till like 30-40% Even though Falco does take a lot of skill, his ability to combo any character until kill percent unbalances the game because the reward is way too high for the investment in learning the character.

Foo

Smash Lord
Alright guys, this thread isn't about how good one falco player may or may not be. Please make your arguments against the points that have been made, not trying to point out biases. It doesn't matter how salty someone is, they still may have a point.

If they are incorrect, it should show and you can prove they are incorrect. Saying someone only feels a certain way about balance because they are salty and acting like that invalidates their point defeats the entire purpose of having a forum to discuss things like this.

Grow up.

Celestis

Smash Ace
People just want the spacies to die... They are already starting to not be good with all the nerfs as it is.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Faclo's dair got tighter IIRC, I think that nerfs his combo/punish to a good extent. Pillaring was made harder/tighter, as was edgeguarding with an already risky (but disproportionately rewarding) spike.

Even with those lasers whose very conceptualization damned someone to hell, I dair say that Facol is actually balanced now. **** recovery got slightly less **** but not enough to make life any less tough for him. Side-smash is a strong kill and edge-guard move but not one that Flaco can combo into; he always needs a read. Bair is still very scary, especially with nerfed recoveries, but at this point I think Folca has enough holding him back that we can let him have nice things.

Prepare for every GF to have at least one Fox though.

Ganondalf

Smash Cadet
From what I've seen (which is very little), only Fox seems to be good right now. Falco isn't much of an issue and wolf isn't really a clone any more so why say 'spacies'? Fox is really a double edge sword as we all know due to his fall speed and his ass recovery but he may need another nerf or two while giving him a few more options for kills. As it stands, i only ever see people go for the up-air.... some go for the forward smash but by the time that becomes relevant, any move would probably kill me.

My only issue is the reflect being so easy. It feels like a get-out-of-jail-free card most of the time. Fox's laser isn't worth the time to use it in my opinion but then again I don't projectile spam.

I dunno, fox just feels so different compared to every other character. Nobody falls as fast as he does, only sonic has such an easy time disengaging with his Up-B compared to Fox's down-B... I'm ok with different, it just seems like due to his unique play style, he comes off as really really strong.

Again, I have limited experience vs. good fox players so, maybe I'm way off.

Windstar120025

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
YES leaving Wolf alone and in the higher tiers where he is is fine, but fox and falco need something new, weather it be a nerf or a weird buff the biggest nd most awfull thing about this update was about how much they nerfed The Spacies in comparison to every one else. The seem to be trying to make a new tier list of their own but refuse to let some one new take first place, it would be MOST beneficial if they stopped thinking taking away all the fun quirks of other characters was ok but not taking away the stupidity of the ones who need the nerf. I love seeing tournament play but when you only see fox and falco matches at the end, doing the exact same thing as was done in melee, its time they need to put their priorities strait. Look at what they did to sonic and Lucas, they stripped them of the things that made them GOOD simply cause they were GOOD but still not even unfair by this logic they should have allready nerfed them, however the PMBR continue to think that all the wave shine mechanics, more fair than sonic being able to do multiple homing attacks while in the air ( OH wait doesnt he do that in ALL the OTHER games he's in!), and being able to air jump out of his aerial side-b (he's SONIC this isnt out of his homefield ATALL). SIMPLY PUT YES THEY NEED TO CHANGE FOX AND FALCO ITS THE BEST AND FASTEST WAY OF GETTING THIS GAME ANYWHERE NEAR HAVING A OVERALL BALANCED CAST.

From what I've seen (which is very little), only Fox seems to be good right now. Falco isn't much of an issue and wolf isn't really a clone any more so why say 'spacies'? Fox is really a double edge sword as we all know due to his fall speed and his *** recovery but he may need another nerf or two while giving him a few more options for kills. As it stands, i only ever see people go for the up-air.... some go for the forward smash but by the time that becomes relevant, any move would probably kill me.

My only issue is the reflect being so easy. It feels like a get-out-of-jail-free card most of the time. Fox's laser isn't worth the time to use it in my opinion but then again I don't projectile spam.

I dunno, fox just feels so different compared to every other character. Nobody falls as fast as he does, only sonic has such an easy time disengaging with his Up-B compared to Fox's down-B... I'm ok with different, it just seems like due to his unique play style, he comes off as really really strong.

Again, I have limited experience vs. good fox players so, maybe I'm way off.
Try playing as fox he actually has really good recovery, its falco who has ****ty recovery (despite being a bird). Either way their ground to air game is rediculousely fast and not at all realy hard to perform, and are basicaly the easy wayto claim victory especially if you learn their easy advanced-tech

People just want the spacies to die... They are already starting to not be good with all the nerfs as it is.
Celestis........... this is wrong in every way, you dont even need to play the advanced wave shine sh*t to use them to dominate the tier list even with out all their OVERPOWER support they have enough other strengths otherwise that they woudl still be top tiers, Fox's on off round game is incredibly fast and powerfull, while falco has the ability to keep most other characters in check by Lazer control alone, as well as having a very powerfull tool in his down-air which more than speaks for his actual strength. They have been nerfed yes, BUT ONLY SLIGHTLY, actually they made it easier for Falco to do his Shine pillaring here in 3.5, i dont exactly see how they did but its much easier to pull off for some reason.

This is definitely salt.

No None of what he is saying is Salt they have dominated the teir list for ever, and it is simply time for them to step down, there is absolutly no way to prove that they are not Un-fair and thats simply how it is, and why they need nerfed, i myself would prefer that they only give them different tools that are still withi their bounds , simply give them something new, weather it keeps them in top tier is irrelevant to the fact they are no longer there for the same reason they had allways been

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Every single post in this thread confirms my previous point. All y'all need to learn how to play the game before making /any/ threads about Fox/Falco.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
3.5 JUST came out. And those characters JUST got nerfed. You obviously won't be happy until they remove them from the game completely. They got nerfed, it's done. Be happy that you got that. Some people don't even think this nerf was necessary.

Foo

Smash Lord
3.5 JUST came out. And those characters JUST got nerfed. You obviously won't be happy until they remove them from the game completely. They got nerfed, it's done. Be happy that you got that. Some people don't even think this nerf was necessary.
Fox got slight recovery buffs and a slight upsmash nerf (makes a difference of like 6-10% I think). Fox will be slightly weaker in a vacuum than 3.0, but this isn't a vacuum. In this patch, almost every single character in the game took nerfs. Even Roy and ZSS, the king and queen of mid tier got hit. Now that top tiers aren't retardedly overpowered, fox will be able to just wreck everyone.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
Everyone's not really on fox's level, but everyone is around melee marth/sheik level. They can stand up to him fine. Fox might be the best, but if people are still honestly complaining that he's obscenely broken, we can attribute their attitude towards the player more than fox.
And for the record, I guarantee that when the metagame develops, there will probably be at least one character on a spacie level. It's honestly too early to complain.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I feel like some are melee marth sheik level but like half the cast is melee falcon level and a couple may be melee doc level. Time will tell though, but I am certainly feel Fox will be super good.

Kar

Smash Rookie
Fox is not overpowered anymore so I don't get why he would be nerfed. I can understand some people are tired of seeing him because of Melee tho

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
this might sound silly but, let him combo you around and then retaliate afterwards? like, idk, a fighting game or something.
that came out a lot more rude than i wanted it to but i stand by what i said. =T

Last edited:

Ganondalf

Smash Cadet
Every single post in this thread confirms my previous point. All y'all need to learn how to play the game before making /any/ threads about Fox/Falco.
Implying balance only matters at your level of play, which is probably low tier like the rest of us. Please, take your logical fallacy somewhere else and be useless (like starcraft.)

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
oh god no, a character that can beat the crap out of you in exchange for dying whenever you poke him? yeah, falco's not broken at all. the same is true for the other spacies to a lesser extent, so i'm not seeing what's so bad about this.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
was this thread really made 12 hours after release?? lol

Go play 3.5 and comeback in a year please

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Implying balance only matters at your level of play, which is probably low tier like the rest of us. Please, take your logical fallacy somewhere else and be useless (like starcraft.)
I have implied nothing except for the known fact that a massive majority of everyone in this community has no idea what the **** they're talking about because they're a bunch of 15 year old kids who have never been good at anything competitive in their whole life yet. This is not a logical fallacy. If you suck at the game or possess little to no knowledge of what you're talking about, you should not be taken that seriously in any given context. Why you even brought up Starcraft I'll never know. That's a fallacy on its own.

Swampy948

Smash Cadet
I find it funny that everyone hates Fox because no one knows how to deal with one. Instead of whining for nerfs until they're out of the roster completely, try finding a way to get out of it and get better at the game. Or maybe try playing Fox yourself. Every Fox main hates Fox dittos. At least I do, anyways.

I'm getting the same vibe for Fox that Ken got. People hated cause he was good.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542

Not sure how to look at post because name is flawed

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I would rather all elements of space animals gameplay be critically looked at like the rest of the cast rather than more nerfs.

It's not about what I want though and thats why space animals only get subtle nerfs while their gameplay remains in-tact.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Not sure how to look at post because name is flawed
I was an oldschool Melee player back in the day with the name 'Flawless', I'm not nearly as good anymore hence the excellent name choice.

:D

Last edited:
Top Bottom