• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would anyone be interested in joining alt. rules tourneys?

SDR152

Smash Rookie
NNID
SDR152
I've kinda been wanting to start hosting alt. rules tournaments (online) but I'm not sure how many people would actually be interested in joining. Something like a "Weekly Wacky Rules Wednesday" with each tourney having different, non-standard rules. Unfortunately I don't have any ways to give out prizes for participants so it would all just be for fun/bragging rights. Some examples of the rules are: For Fun mode rules (2 min. time matches, all items on, all stages legal, draws decided by percentage like normal tourneys), Balloon Battles (a 3 minute timed match on either Smashville or Town and City where the goal is to pop the most balloons in the time limit, draws decided by Sudden Death), Random Only (normal tournament rules, but characters must be chosen by clicking random), Coin Battle tournaments (3 min. Coin Battles), etc. If anyone would be interested and/or has any other alt. rules ideas please let me know!

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I would actually be quite interested. I find these types of battles really fun (especially Coin matches. They're so underrated, IMO) and would love to participate.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I'd totally be down for that, whether online or offline if the venue were close enough for me. All of the ideas I've had involve equipment of some kind.

Smooth Lander Heavy Gravity (see the competitive boards) deserves at least one tourney so people can see what all the fuss is about

Trade-off auto heal - so people start off with damage but it heals very gradually. Bonus points if a third item equipped boosts a star at 0%.

Crash run - enough said :)

Or just have what I'd call "wacky smash"
Each player can import one character with any custom moves, and certain equipment
Stats capped at +50
Healing, invincibility and items banned, anything else is fair game

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
I'm gonna be the "party pooper" of the room and tell you this : go present yourself first. It's more polite to tell who you are to people instead of coming to the forum and post a random thread.
Go here to make a presentation.

Now, for your idea itself, it's a good one. The thing you do however before doing those "wacky" tournaments is to make "normal" ones. It can bring people to your tourneys, heck, you could even have some regulars if your tournaments are good and have a nice reputation. Afterwards, you can have your wacky tourneys, since you'll have an already established reputation.

But that's only my opinion, feel free to disagree with me.

SDR152

Smash Rookie
NNID
SDR152
I'd totally be down for that, whether online or offline if the venue were close enough for me. All of the ideas I've had involve equipment of some kind.

Smooth Lander Heavy Gravity (see the competitive boards) deserves at least one tourney so people can see what all the fuss is about

Trade-off auto heal - so people start off with damage but it heals very gradually. Bonus points if a third item equipped boosts a star at 0%.

Crash run - enough said :)

Or just have what I'd call "wacky smash"
Each player can import one character with any custom moves, and certain equipment
Stats capped at +50
Healing, invincibility and items banned, anything else is fair game
Equipment tourneys would definitely be interesting and I will definitely do some of those once I can get this idea off the ground! Thanks for the ideas!

SDR152

Smash Rookie
NNID
SDR152
I'm gonna be the "party pooper" of the room and tell you this : go present yourself first. It's more polite to tell who you are to people instead of coming to the forum and post a random thread.
Go here to make a presentation.

Now, for your idea itself, it's a good one. The thing you do however before doing those "wacky" tournaments is to make "normal" ones. It can bring people to your tourneys, heck, you could even have some regulars if your tournaments are good and have a nice reputation. Afterwards, you can have your wacky tourneys, since you'll have an already established reputation.

But that's only my opinion, feel free to disagree with me.
Well I'm definitely new to the scene and want to make myself more known. I don't think I'll ever have the skill to be one of the best of the best, but being a TO seems like a great way to meet other players. Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely go introduce myself to try to get a following!

Top Bottom