• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worth getting SSBB and playing it on the "Wii U" ?

shooter999

Smash Rookie
Hello there,

i was thinking about getting the Wii U console to play Brawl on it and to have it for the upcoming Super Smash Bros..

Now I was wondering is it still worth getting Brawl ? I heard Online Play is/was horrible on the Wii. I am aiming on playing mostly online against others so that's why it is very important to know. Can someone give some intel on that ? Can someone share his experience on online play ? It would be especially interesting to heard from someone from Europe, because that's my area of online play.

Also : What controller is the best to use for Brawl on the "Wii U" ? Since I heard the new "Wii U Pro Controller" won't work together with it.

Thanks in advance.

shooter999

Smash Rookie
the wii u is a gimmicky piece of **** don't bother get a used wii instead (✿◠‿◠)
B-But.. the 2-3 games that might come out somewhen in the next years that would be worth getting for the U ... :/ Aside from that are there still enough people playing Brawl online ?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Try the Smashboards Arena:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-smashboards-arena-go-see-man-of-steel.275524/

You'll find people who ate itching to play online. To answer your question though, online Brawl can and will be very laggy. It's mostly because of crappy Brawl servers, so expect your button input to come into effect after 1-1 1/2 seconds. It's decent practice (and I stress the word "decent" as far as I can), but you can get much better and precise practice playing offline, if you have friends to play with offline.

As for waiting for a Wii U, I would advise against it, but your controller options aside from the Wii Remote and Nunchuck would be the Wii Classic Controller, and although it takes some getting used to, it can work quite well (the Ganondorf main, Vermanubis performs very well with it). I do believe getting a Wii is an overall more affordable option, but if you really want to wait until you can get a Wii U, then go right ahead.

shooter999

Smash Rookie
Try the Smashboards Arena:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-smashboards-arena-go-see-man-of-steel.275524/

You'll find people who ate itching to play online. To answer your question though, online Brawl can and will be very laggy. It's mostly because of crappy Brawl servers, so expect your button input to come into effect after 1-1 1/2 seconds. It's decent practice (and I stress the word "decent" as far as I can), but you can get much better and precise practice playing offline, if you have friends to play with offline.

As for waiting for a Wii U, I would advise against it, but your controller options aside from the Wii Remote and Nunchuck would be the Wii Classic Controller, and although it takes some getting used to, it can work quite well (the Ganondorf main, Vermanubis performs very well with it). I do believe getting a Wii is an overall more affordable option, but if you really want to wait until you can get a Wii U, then go right ahead.
Hey and thanks for your insight !
Yeah I've already seen the arena and i think its a nice idea to find people to play with.
Hmm yeah I've already heard about the lag, but I wanted to ask just to be sure.. Kinda sucks.. Sadly I don't have any friends that I could play offline with, that's why online play would have been a good opportunity.
Does this board also have some , or even better many european people ?? Because if I'll try to play with americans I'm damn sure it will be unplayable.

About the Wii U ... I'm not sure if it is worth getting a normal Wii anymore... I mean I could get a used one for maybe 50€ or a used Wii U for 150€...as I said the Wii U only because of one or two games that might be worth getting in the future but that not before 2014...Hmm very difficult

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Oh, you'll find plenty of European Smashers here. Not sure how many of them frequent the arena, but I can assure you if you look around well enough, you'll find some who are willing to play online. I've played with European players myself, actually.

shooter999

Smash Rookie
Oh, you'll find plenty of European Smashers here. Not sure how many of them frequent the arena, but I can assure you if you look around well enough, you'll find some who are willing to play online. I've played with European players myself, actually.
Alright thanks for your help then ! I think ima get a used Wii console then.
I assume most brawlers use a gamecube gamepad ?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
If you intend to play Wii U games, like the next Smash, it'll be cheaper in the long run to get a Wii U now and play Brawl on it instead of getting a used Wii now and then buying a Wii U later. Brawl has always been laggy, but if you're desperate to play against real people, it's bearable. Smash 4 will probably have better online, anyway. As others have said, there are actually plenty of Europeans to play with online.

As for the controller, I use a classic controller and it works perfectly for me, though I'm looking forward to the day I can use the Wii U pro controller. If you try it and hate it, you can get an adaptor that lets you use your GameCube controller (even with the Wii U). It adds 1-2 frames of lag, though.

ArtehFX

Smash Apprentice
No good games are available for the Wii U right now, so I advise getting a wii. As for the controller, the GameCube controller is the best in my opinion.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I never lagged, I don't see what people mean... Get a Wii u, it can play all Wii games and it will save you the extra 50 by not buying a Wii. There are a lot of European smashers here.Think it over.

Top Bottom