• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst Stages?

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
After playing Pac-Land a bit more, it's no longer the worst stage IMO.

Which leaves 75m. The 8-bit is just a nostalgia-grab (coming from someone that loves retraux ****), the layout is so bad and there's nowhere solid to stand and fight on, and the hazards make you fight just to stay on the stage. That's some ridiculous crap if you ask me.

Palutena's Temple still #toobig by the way.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
All of that is music I want to smash to. It's so lively, energetic, and upbeat. Also, Omega mode exists for Gaur Plains; I love the music there too.
Bro, what does Omega Mode does? I'm probably asking this in the wrong section, but please, shine a light in this question of mine.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Bro, what does Omega Mode does? I'm probably asking this in the wrong section, but please, shine a light in this question of mine.
It's the Final Destination form of stages, activated when you press the X button in the stage select (or the R button in 8-Player Smash). The symbol Ω is the Greek letter called "omega."

Last edited:

Tonzura Koite

Smash Cadet
All of that is music I want to smash to. It's so lively, energetic, and upbeat. Also, Omega mode exists for Gaur Plains; I love the music there too.
Omega stages are a decent alternative to FD, but that's all they are. I prefer stages with at least one platform 90% of the time. Which is why it's such a bummer that so many stages with good music and a great theme are only available as flat planks.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Omega stages are a decent alternative to FD, but that's all they are. I prefer stages with at least one platform 90% of the time. Which is why it's such a bummer that so many stages with good music and a great theme are only available as flat planks.
They're also available as the default layout. :p

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
On Gaur Plain? No thanks.
I like Gaur Plain. It's fun, and Metal Face adds an interesting dynamic.

In case I haven't made it clear by now, I'm not at all talking from a tournament perspective. :p
Well, duh. But for the reasons mentioned above, the default layout is never going to be an option for an intense 1v1, which is when Smash is at its best, in my opinion.
Tournament-style gameplay can be fun (to play and to watch), but I'm more of an items-on, all stages (usually custom stages, actually :p) type of guy.

Last edited:

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
I also enjoy Gaur Plain a lot. Not only is one of the most beautiful places i've seen on a game (Xenoblade), in Smash it's just plain awesome (ba dum tss).

Tonzura Koite

Smash Cadet
I like Gaur Plain. It's fun, and Metal Face adds an interesting dynamic.

In case I haven't made it clear by now, I'm not at all talking from a tournament perspective. :p
Stages like Gaur and Pyrosphere are fun for the odd free-for-all with a bunch of players, but we seriously need an option to turn off stage bosses. Most of the time I'm like, alright Yellow Devil, you're cool, now please GTFO so I can play Super Smash Bros with my friends- on what could be a way more interesting competitive stage than omega Wily Castle. Love those MM2-style platforms.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Stages like Gaur and Pyrosphere are fun for the odd free-for-all with a bunch of players, but we seriously need an option to turn off stage bosses. Most of the time I'm like, alright Yellow Devil, you're cool, now please GTFO so I can play Super Smash Bros with my friends- on what could be a way more interesting competitive stage than omega Wily Castle. Love those MM2-style platforms.
Yeah, Yellow Devil comes up a bit too often. :p It would be nice to have the option; I'm surprised there isn't, seeing how many other options the game does give you.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I like pac-land but thats the worst one, on the other laps its almost no different from the 1st lap

Last edited:

Tonzura Koite

Smash Cadet
Yeah, Yellow Devil comes up a bit too often. :p It would be nice to have the option; I'm surprised there isn't, seeing how many other options the game does give you.
Omega Stages were a great idea that could have been implemented a bit better. Instead of stripping any interesting elements from a stage and turning it into a variation on FD, it would have been great to have an 'Alpha' stage (default) and 'Omega' stage (stripped down to the essentials of the stage- making it smaller for 1v1s, including platforms similar to its original design, and perhaps including tournament-fair qualities unique to the stage, such as Dream Land's wind, Congo Jungle's barrels, or Pokemon Stadium 1's transitions.)
Any stages that are viable on their own, like Smashville, would be turned into an FD clone, like the Omegas we have now.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
I hated Pac-Land before I played it because of how it looked, but, in my opinion, is not a really bad stage, Its not my favorite but I kinda like it.
Same goes with Palutenas temple (the Temple version of Temple), I like it with 1v1 because in the battles, its fun to move around the stage and change the "ambient" of where you are playing, making KO's is hard, but not impossible, still not a stage I play a lot (it grew up on me when I listened to all of Palutenas Guidance Conversations, I used this as an opportunity to play as Pit)
However this isn't the case of the Great Cave Offensive, its just annoying, and I hate the lava thingy.

Dr.Wily's stage, well they only thing that annoys me of the Yellow Devil is his entrance and exit, still, an option to disable him would be nice.

I mad at Halberd because there could have been a better Kirby stage to return, and, I dont know, this stage has bored me after seeing it alot on Brawl, not that I hate the stage, Im just tired of seeing it.

I hate 75M, i really like the idea of having a stage based on Donkey Kong, but this isn't the right way. The omega version is fine though.

I don't understand why they didn't bring back Corneria or the Pirate Ship. (at least DLC I hope)

Oh!
And Smashville, I mean I love the stage and still do, but Town and City is practically the same thing, I like playing on both but if Smashville didn't return (and maybe replaced with the return of another original stage) I would be ok

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think the worst stage is Palutena's Temple. At least in 75m you can easily see the action as the stage is 8-bit. Not in Palutena's Temple. It's so confusing that even if it was 1v1, the stage is a strain on my eyes.
I also am not a fan of Port Town Aero Dive, Wily's Castle, Orbital Gate, Castle Siege, or Pac-Land.
The first three due to very intrusive and strong hazards, the fourth because it's way too small, the last because god, look at it.

Tonzura Koite

Smash Cadet
I hated Pac-Land before I played it because of how it looked, but, in my opinion, is not a really bad stage, Its not my favorite but I kinda like it.
Same goes with Palutenas temple (the Temple version of Temple), I like it with 1v1 because in the battles, its fun to move around the stage and change the "ambient" of where you are playing, making KO's is hard, but not impossible, still not a stage I play a lot (it grew up on me when I listened to all of Palutenas Guidance Conversations, I used this as an opportunity to play as Pit)

I hate 75M, i really like the idea of having a stage based on Donkey Kong, but this isn't the right way. The omega version is fine though.

I don't understand why they didn't bring back Corneria or the Pirate Ship. (at least DLC I hope)
I absolutely love big stages like Palutena's Temple, Hyrule Temple, and Great Cave when my buddies and I can get together for 6-8 player matches, but it's just too easy for people to camp and stall if you're doing 1v1s. Those matches take forever.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Omega Stages were a great idea that could have been implemented a bit better. Instead of stripping any interesting elements from a stage and turning it into a variation on FD, it would have been great to have an 'Alpha' stage (default) and 'Omega' stage (stripped down to the essentials of the stage- making it smaller for 1v1s, including platforms similar to its original design, and perhaps including tournament-fair qualities unique to the stage, such as Dream Land's wind, Congo Jungle's barrels, or Pokemon Stadium 1's transitions.)
Any stages that are viable on their own, like Smashville, would be turned into an FD clone, like the Omegas we have now.
I think that would be a nice feature, but Sakurai isn't the type of developer who would do that. I feel like that would be something a P:M-type mod would do, but instead of getting rid of the "for fun" stages like P:M does (why), it would be its own separate mode. I could see a mod with an "Alpha mode" that basically does what you described for the Omegas. I've made a few custom stages that do that, in fact, such as making Yoshi's Island from Melee not a walk-off, as well as replacing the spinning platforms with regular ones and removing the ones above the pit. I think something like that would work well for its own stage mode.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Palutena's Temple is unplayably large. I'd take the Yellow Devil, Ridley, or 75M over that stage any day.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
I absolutely love big stages like Palutena's Temple, Hyrule Temple, and Great Cave when my buddies and I can get together for 6-8 player matches, but it's just too easy for people to camp and stall if you're doing 1v1s. Those matches take forever.
Yeah that's true but luckily it rarely happens, but you are right, playing on those stages on 6-8 player matches is fun (I think that's the reason Palutena's temple and Great Cave exist).

Also another thing I want to add about 75M, I hate it not because its big but because the plataforms are so goddamn small, and you have to most of the time chase each other, and then those fireballs appear and you get launched. Or you decide to go to the upper part of the stage where you can actually battle but suddenly DU DU DU RU RUUUU, 8-Bit Donkey Kong appears and everyone has to rush down.
If they made 75m like wrecking crew, except it covered the whole stage (so there wouldn't be a place to fall) and the plataforms would be slightly diagonal (you know, like in the original game) and maybe have Donkey Kong at the top throwing barrels or other things every now and then that every player should either jump or crouch to avoid would be great.

D

Deleted member

Flat Zone X: Five words, MAKE THE BLAST ZONES BIGGER.
75m: Why bring this stage back? It's so hard to navigate without getting pummeled by annoying stage hazards.
Wily Castle: Yellow Devil, enough said.
Pyrosphere: Ridley, enough said.
Gaur Plain: Hard to navigate, and Metal Face is a huge waste of space.
Skyworld: That top platform can go. Just...get rid of it.

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
If they made 75m like wrecking crew, except it covered the whole stage (so there wouldn't be a place to fall) and the plataforms would be slightly diagonal (you know, like in the original game) and maybe have Donkey Kong at the top throwing barrels or other things every now and then that every player should either jump or crouch to avoid would be great.
Basically, you want 25m instead of 75m?

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I really like most of the stage selection, I just have a few gripes with certain stages.

Castle Siege is a stage I honestly didn't enjoy back in Brawl, so having to play on it over and over for Classic mode gets annoying.

Mushroom Kingdom U should have been the E3 version, AKA the version without Nabbit. He honestly ruins the stage.

Orbital Gate Assault has too many things going on at once to honestly fight. There are too many ways to die from just riding an Arwing for a second too long.

EnigmaticKnight

Smash Apprentice
The Great Cave Offensive was the worst for me, since it's huge, and I lose sight of my character on the stage from time to time.

DipperPines18

Smash Rookie
Pyro sphere and Palutenas Temple, I for one Love Pac Land, as a Fan of the original game, it stays true to the original, the only complaints I have are the music selection is complete **** and those Damn Fire Hydrants.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
75M is the worst stage, why is it even back? You telling me 75M is better than Big Blue? I mean yeah theyre both awful stages for competitive reasons but at least Big Blue is much more appealing. Not even pure casual players I know like 75M, that says something about the stage lol

Kromeste

Smash Rookie
Ballon fight, Pac-land, Palutena's temple, Great Cave Offensive, and Wrecking Crew are my greatest enemies when I'm playing casually. For competitive stages: I despise Lylat Cruise and I'm iffy about Duck Hunt (It feels so distracting to me!). Special mention goes to Mushroom Kingdom U, Nabbit can go suck a ****.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
Pac-land, Palutena's Temple, and 75m are the worst stages so far.
This is pretty much my thoughts exactly... If it wasn't for Lylat Cruise...

But my least favourite is definitely 75M. Why on earth did they bring it back..? The layout is garbage, the obstacles are atrocious, and not even the Omega stage makes up for it by being nostalgic because it just looks... Ugh.

Palutena's Temple is just too big. It's very easy for people to run away from you and stall a game out.Omega is pretty cool though, and unlike 75M, there are actually parts where you can stand and fight properly (Rather than being either bombarded by DK, the flames and the springs, or playing king of the hill and trying to keep your place on a tiny platform).

Pac-land... First off, it's probably one of the worst looking stages in Smash. It's hideous. Some people might like the retro style, but it's not for me. The scrolling is a little too fast, and there a fair few hazards. I don't think there's anything to be said that hasn't already been said.

Oh... Great Cave Offensive. Hungry Hungry Kirby event... Just... Kill me. Horrible event, made even worse by a dire stage. It looks nice though, kind of, from what I can see from 10 miles away.

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
I hate Hyrule Temple. I've never seen why people like this stage, as I see why people like some of the stages I hate (like PS2)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I hate Hyrule Temple. I've never seen why people like this stage, as I see why people like some of the stages I hate (like PS2)
Definitely the music.

Also, the pit is almost a specific rule for this stage, and that was quite unique back in Melee. On casual plays it's still fun to try to survive, until you fail a tech. Or simply when you don't know how to tech and see characters going everywhere.

Obviously, online matchs ruined everything, with people running away.

Top Bottom