• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst part of Super Smash Bros 4? Game is out everywhere, go ape ****!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
This game has a bunch of problems.
None of these characters returned-:icsmelee::mewtwomelee::roymelee::ivysaur::lucas::snake::squirtle::wolf:
We got a clone trinity::4lucina::4darkpit::4drmario:
We still have clones from previous games-:4falco::4tlink::4ganondorf:
Somehow we end up with all these Koopalings as alt skins-:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:-but somehow:4darkpit::4drmario::4lucina: are not skins. Even PROJECT M, a HACK GAME, made:4drmario: a skin. Sakurai really ****** up there.
So many of the models and animations were directly ported from Brawl-:4myfriends::4charizard: being the big ones I have issues with

We get a bunch of random newcomers that were not all that popular (except for :4shulk::4palutena::4littlemac::4megaman:)-:4bowserjr::4darkpit::4duckhunt::4greninja::4robinm:/:4robinf::rosalina::4villager:/:4villagerf::4wiifit:/:4wiifitm::4pacman: (if you want to disagree with me I will willingly argue).
The most popular newcomers aren't playable (Mewtwo, Issac, Ridley, King K. Rool).

Game mechanics are basically what Brawl would be if it had some hitstun. Brawl may have the same hitstun value as Melee, but the game is NATURALLY slow, so combos are much more difficult to perform. Smash 4 seems to be like that, but its also very slow when compared to Melee.
Lack of movement options (Wavedashing was a gift in Melee, but was not necessary. Dash Dancing is simple, deep and intuitive. Same with).
Buffering out of hitstun into airdodge (was in Brawl garbage mechanic, needs to never happen again).
Recoveries are ridiculous in this game (lol :rosalina:).
Edgeguarding is no longer useful with these lame edge mechanics.
"Vectoring" replacing DI and kinda ruins most combos. It adds a value of knockback units in the direction you hold. So if an attack does 100 vertical KB units, I vector downwards and now the KB units have decreased. Thus, HITSTUN decreases, since this game's hitstun is likely 0.4 like Melee (so a move with 100 units of KB has 40 frames of hitstun, HOWEVER the vectoring makes it 30 frames of hitstun, and AFAWK, this value could decrease FURTHER as we don't know the true value of this decrease in KB units).
Moves are still kinda laggy.
No safe approach game.
Shields are free in this game. They take more stun, but you can act out of them so quickly, likely even faster than Brawl.
Rolls being useful. They're defensive mechanics, they shouldn't be spammy. They should be gtfo options, not be like "invincibility from frames 1-20, first actionable frame on 21 or something" like they are now.
PAC-Man, Rosalina, Robin, Greninja, and maybe Bowser jr. are in truth very popular. They have a lot of fans behind them and have been popular for a very long time now. They are not even random for being here.

Morbi

Scavenger
None of these characters returned-:icsmelee::mewtwomelee::roymelee::ivysaur::lucas::snake::squirtle::wolf:
Somehow we end up with all these Koopalings as alt skins-:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:-but somehow:4darkpit::4drmario::4lucina: are not skins. Even PROJECT M, a HACK GAME, made:4drmario: a skin. Sakurai really ****** up there.
So many of the models and animations were directly ported from Brawl-:4myfriends::4charizard: being the big ones I have issues with

We get a bunch of random newcomers that were not all that popular (except for :4shulk::4palutena::4littlemac::4megaman:)-:4bowserjr::4darkpit::4duckhunt::4greninja::4robinm:/:4robinf::rosalina::4villager:/:4villagerf::4wiifit:/:4wiifitm::4pacman: (if you want to disagree with me I will willingly argue).
The most popular newcomers aren't playable (Mewtwo, Issac, Ridley, King K. Rool).

Game mechanics are basically what Brawl would be if it had some hitstun. Brawl may have the same hitstun value as Melee, but the game is NATURALLY slow, so combos are much more difficult to perform. Smash 4 seems to be like that, but its also very slow when compared to Melee.
Lack of movement options (Wavedashing was a gift in Melee, but was not necessary. Dash Dancing is simple, deep and intuitive. Same with).
Buffering out of hitstun into airdodge (was in Brawl garbage mechanic, needs to never happen again).
"Vectoring" replacing DI and kinda ruins most combos. It adds a value of knockback units in the direction you hold. So if an attack does 100 vertical KB units, I vector downwards and now the KB units have decreased. Thus, HITSTUN decreases, since this game's hitstun is likely 0.4 like Melee (so a move with 100 units of KB has 40 frames of hitstun, HOWEVER the vectoring makes it 30 frames of hitstun, and AFAWK, this value could decrease FURTHER as we don't know the true value of this decrease in KB units).
No safe approach game.
Shields are free in this game. They take more stun, but you can act out of them so quickly, likely even faster than Brawl.
Rolls being useful. They're defensive mechanics, they shouldn't be spammy. They should be gtfo options, not be like "invincibility from frames 1-20, first actionable frame on 21 or something" like they are now.
To be fair, Project M, the mod, did give Dr. Mario his pills back. Once you do that, in the real game, not a "HACK GAME," the battle-records become an inherent issue. You are no longer playing as Mario, you are playing as Dr. Mario. The pills are a different projectile. He actually asserts that that was his reason for including Dr. Mario, subsequently, that resulted in the inclusion of Lucina and Dark Pit. In Project M, Mewtwo or Roy shared records with Lucario and Marth. That would not fly regarding the full-retail version of the game, a version that people have to actually pay for. Sakurai is a professional.

You can argue that you do not like it until you are blue in the face, but Sakurai did not "****" anything up. In fact, he fixed what WAS "****ed" up in Project M. Battle-records do not matter to a lot of players, yet they do mean something to a good portion of the players, so it is something that a real developer would consider.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, Project M, the mod, did give Dr. Mario his pills back. Once you do that, in the real game, not a "HACK GAME," the battle-records become an inherent issue. You are no longer playing as Mario, you are playing as Dr. Mario. The pills are a different projectile. He actually asserts that that was his reason for including Dr. Mario, subsequently, that resulted in the inclusion of Lucina and Dark Pit. In Project M, Mewtwo or Roy shared records with Lucario and Marth. That would not fly regarding the full-retail version of the game, a version that people have to actually pay for. Sakurai is a professional.

You can argue that you do not like it until you are blue in the face, but Sakurai did not "****" anything up. In fact, he fixed what WAS "****ed" up in Project M. Battle-records do not matter to a lot of players, yet they do mean something to a good portion of the players, so it is something that a real developer would consider.
You are right that characters that are even only slightly different mechanically (clones) should always have their own space in record keeping. But I think you would be wrong if you were to suggest that Dr.Mario or D.Pit for that matter, (A) were warranted to be in at all, or (B) couldn't have been implemented as alt skins with only purely aesthetic changes. Yes, yes, the FLUDD, I know, but I don't think that 'Mario Canon' is such a serious thing that they couldn't have disregarded it and let Dr.Mario use it, or just not have him in at all. Same with Dark Pit, he basically already was an alt costume in Brawl. And I'm not against clones either, I fully understand the logistics behind it, and am impressed and relieved that only three clones were needed to get a nice 50 character roster. I just think far better options for both fan service and series representation were available. Speaking a little biasedly for instance, a Greninja-cloned Sceptile would have been amazing over Dark Pit. Or even characters I had no personal interest in, like a Charizard-clone Ridley, or some other good Mother character to replace Lucas, so long as it isn't "the dark/evil twin of the protagonist who doesn't even have his own name". Or "protagonist with a PhD". Or "Cell-shaded version of protagonist".

But I'll use this opportunity to point out one thing that is bugging me a little in my experience playing the demo so far, and I've noticed many others mention this around as well. The blast lines are much too far away. All of the other mechanics, the improved tilts and general ground combo game, the edge mechanics, the rage effect and 'VI', these are all perfectly fine and generally welcome, but it's these blast lines that are making stocks take so damn long. It seems so difficult to get a normal KO under 100%. I mean, it's not a perfect conclusion, we may find out as the meta develops that each character has just a few kill moves which are each good in a particular circumstance or stage that when done right, and not staled, will make consistent, fast, double-digit KOs; but for now it just seems far removed.

Other than that I essentially am indifferent, like, or love everything. Well, I am a little salty at the G&W nerfs but it's nothing I won't manage.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
PAC-Man, Rosalina, Robin, Greninja, and maybe Bowser jr. are in truth very popular. They have a lot of fans behind them and have been popular for a very long time now. They are not even random for being here.
Bowser Jr.- There were more people who wanted no new Mario rep than him amd Rosalina.
Pac-Man-if Namco wasn't working on the game would he be considered likely AT ALL?
Robin-Lucina>>>>>Robin>>>>>>Chrom. Also we did not need TWO awakening reps, especially since Roy was highly requested to make a return.
Greninja had a fanbase for competitive pokemon players because the other starters were ass and he had Protean. If he didn't have Protean he would have went widely ignored.

D

Deleted member

Well, as for me:

While it is clearly the best roster to date, it still maintains very questionable cuts and choices, as well as some unfortunate omissions.

I have to say however that it is becoming increasingly difficult to dig into Nintendo franchises in terms of finding characters who are both enough cult and new in term of original moveset.

And it suddenly occurs to me to think that Nintendo and Sakurai chose to not include some of the most requested characters in order to lay enough materials for the next Smash games (or the prospectives of SSB4 DLC).
We can also think of the characters from future promising new franchises, like the Inklings of Splatoon and the heroes of Intelligent System's Project STEAM.

We will ultimately know the end of the story with the release of the Wii U version.

Until then we will also be entitled to a likely second Direct, showing the specific content to this version because we don't know almost nothing from it.

In order to conclude, I'm fine with the roster, while I think all these anger and incomprehension for some choices remain legitimate for the most part.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Not enough anime characters.

Where's Roy, Custom Robo and Isaac woulda been nice.

Hideo shoulda nagged Sakurai to keep Snake tho.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Bowser Jr.- There were more people who wanted no new Mario rep than him amd Rosalina.
Pac-Man-if Namco wasn't working on the game would he be considered likely AT ALL?
Not that good of a reason bro. Many of my friends would considered Pacman. Since Brawl maybe even earlier. He had very great arcade games, and his Pacman World games were very easy to get into. Everyone considers him as one of the chosen 4. Sonic, Megaman, Mario, and him. Had a few tv shows. Of course he would be considered. He's already popular and a classic.

Bowser Jr also was considered by people I read. Mario and Pokemon are Nintendo's trump card, dude. I only see a few out of some people saying "OMGERD TOO MANY MARIO" and even less saying "OMGERD TOO MUCH POKEMANZ"
Bowser Jr may have not have been that requested, but those kind of excuses aren't very good, and I'm getting tired of them.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
- I would honestly rather have :4lucina: & :4darkpit: remain as alts and not have to bother going through Classic and All-Star mode to get their trophies than have them get their own slot because it sounds like these two have almost no significant differences from Marth and Pit. Lucina especially, I'd rather have had her as an alt of Marth than have her explicitly be Marth but worse. :4drmario: has enough differences from regular Mario that I don't mind him having his own spot.

-If Sakurai was going to be lazy with stages and give some series only one new stage between both versions, he should have simply used the new stage for BOTH versions like he did with Punch-Out, Xenoblade, and Mega Man rather than use a lame classic stage as a series' entire representation on one platform. The different stages between versions for franchises that get new stages on both versions or in regards to franchises like Nintendogs with a stage but no playable rep is fine but the fact that 3DS owners can't play on Windy Hill or Pyrosphere or that Wii U owners may potentially not be able to play on Magicant pisses me off.

-No event matches on 3DS. What was the point of getting rid of them?!

-All-Star Mode being predetermined again. If randomized opponents didn't have enough "novelty" for Sakurai, at least he could have reversed the dang order. You think the likes of Mario and Pac-Man being fought last in All-Star mode would make complete sense but no.....

Last edited:

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
I'm kinda bummed that they took out Event Match and Break The Targets, and I was really hoping Board The Platforms would come back, I loved those modes. but I can still hope that all that stuff will be on the WiiU version.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Almost everyone in this forum hate anime
What's this forum got to do with smash bros fanbase-

/dodges meteor

ALL of smash bro's fan base. @_@

Also yeah I generally hate anime since I draw it... and have grown up with enough of it to know how horrible it is, but characters under nintendo are good nuff for me.

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
Robin-Lucina>>>>>Robin>>>>>>Chrom. Also we did not need TWO awakening reps, especially since Roy was highly requested to make a return.
Greninja had a fanbase for competitive pokemon players because the other starters were *** and he had Protean. If he didn't have Protean he would have went widely ignored.
For Bowser jr and Rosalina, where's your proof cause I know that's not true in the slightest. Plus they needed to make up for Brawl not having another Mario rep so no more people didn't want no new Mario rep.
Yes pacman would more than likely not be in if Namco wasn't behind it but he was a popular choice so wrong once again.
Robin is popular since FE:Awakening as well as Lucina. Roy was requested cause of Melee people wanting him back, he isn't relevant anymore especially since he was bad even in his own game.
That's agryeable, but once again that's not the only reason. So for the third time, no.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Also yeah I generally hate anime since I draw it... and have grown up with enough of it to know how horrible it is, but characters under nintendo are good nuff for me.
You been watching and drawing some really dumb anime then...

EDIT: You draw anmie pretty decently...

Last edited:

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Again, it's the hypocrisy. If you complain about Lucina, Dr Mario, and Black Pit, that's fine. Good for you. BUT you are pretty much not allowed to say you miss Lucas, Wolf, or Roy in that same post. A clone is a clone. You can like them, you can not like them, but don't be obviously selective about which ones you like just so smash 4 looks worse in your eyes (and since you're on this forum, you'll probably end up giving Sakurai at least 40 dollars anyway).

ferioku

Smash Ace

No safe approach game.
The game mechanics are not like brawls, of course combo's are more difficult to perform but there are still combos. Vectoring does not affect Hit stun, it affects knock back, If you meant that the hit stun is less valuable because of the knock back I would understand. The edge mechanics reward's more offensive play, it's proven at lower percent vectors are not valid, which proves that there are still combos at lower percentages. I'm pretty sure there are safe approaches in the game.

Other than that you're correct, the character roster is a bit disappointing, I miss my Wolf, and I really wanted Isaac in Smash 4. The shields come out way to fast, there are less movement options, there were many things that should have been fixed.

Though what you need to think about is this game is not melee, it's a completely different game, everything you posted apart from the roster is relate to melee and it is a given that we were not going to receive melee 2.0, and it's been established god knows how many times, that this is not Brawl 2.0 either, it's still a brand new game and we still haven't even gotten the Wii U version, so it is understandable. Wait for the game to progress a bit as well before grouping it with brawl, because it really isn't a Brawl 2.0

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The worst part of Smash 4 in my opinion is definitely the fanbase's hating of the clones.
My favorite character didn't get in.
Should I hate Rosalina? No.
Should I hate Duck Hunt? Nope.
Should I hate Bowser Jr.? No way.

I should hate the low-effort clones that have next to no role in the game's development and were complete last-minute additions, easily giving people characters they wanted.

In case it was not apparent, that was sarcasm.
I can understand not liking the development time spent on characters deemed unworthy. Really, I can. But the clones? They hurt nothing. Yet they receive the bulk of the backlash the game gets.

Last edited:

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
You been watching and drawing some really dumb anime then...

EDIT: You draw anmie pretty decently...
Ehn, there's always the classics/gems/decents of every medium...

But I think it's totally justified when people hate anime as a whole.

Especially when things like SAO are currently popular. @_@

But that's off topic.

Also seriously Solid Snake was last dude on my "perfect" roster list.

Oh well.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I thought the OP said not to discuss character and stage selections? Anyway, I feel the worst part of Smash 4 is the imbalace of character alts, with some getting more alts than others. Cough"Little Mac"Cough

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I really don't think :4lucina: is a clone.

I'm reading the Fire Emblem Awakening website, and it's said that she is her own person and has nothing to do with :4marth:.

Or I could be wrong, Fire Emblem looks so cool BTW. :grin:

ferioku

Smash Ace
I really don't think :4lucina: is a clone.

I'm reading the Fire Emblem Awakening website, and it's said that she is her own person and has nothing to do with :4marth:.

Or I could be wrong, Fire Emblem looks so cool BTW. :grin:
She's a clone of marth in smash 4. Sakurai said so himself =/

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Question:

In Smash4 you can get out of hitstun super easy with an irdodge like in Brawl?
No, I don't think you can do that anymore.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the worst part of Smash 4 for me, probably the lack of Roy and/or Isaac/Matthew.
The 3DS version currently having no Golden Sun music or content at all is just 'ughhh'.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I have no issue with people who criticize this game or rant and complain about it, it's their feelings and opinions.
As far as freedom of speech goes its not harming anyone so they can enjoy that liberty and freedom. If people want to feel strongly about the game and over react then so be it, to each their own, doesn't bother me.
Not my issue, but I find myself agreeing with people dropping "Salt: the thread" because it's one thing to be disappointed by character drops, clones, and stages. It's another thing entirely to come to these conclusions for wrong reasons ENTIRELY.

No, Clones did NOT take up a roster slot, Dork Pit not being there wouldn't get you Wolf or Lucas
No, vectoring does NOT ruin combos
No, there IS a point to edge trumping, it's to encourage you to GET OFF THE STAGE and MAKE YOUR KILL, anti-climatic edgehogging deserves to be history.

I know it's just Someone is Wrong on the Internet Syndrome (SiWotI), but it really irritates me to find people reaching wrong conclusions on faulty logic and willful ignorance.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Not my issue, but I find myself agreeing with people dropping "Salt: the thread" because it's one thing to be disappointed by character drops, clones, and stages. It's another thing entirely to come to these conclusions for wrong reasons ENTIRELY.

No, Clones did NOT take up a roster slot, Dork Pit not being there wouldn't get you Wolf or Lucas
No, vectoring does NOT ruin combos
No, there IS a point to edge trumping, it's to encourage you to GET OFF THE STAGE and MAKE YOUR KILL, anti-climatic edgehogging deserves to be history.

I know it's just Someone is Wrong on the Internet Syndrome (SiWotI), but it really irritates me to find people reaching wrong conclusions on faulty logic and willful ignorance.
But 99% of the the thread is whining over clones stages and other things.

Booster

Smash Lord
"Your post must not revolve around character reveals or bashing the community."

In regards to people being disappointed in the community ;P
Yeah, the game may be out and characters are fine to talk about now but I'd still prefer no one trash the community.

Also if Custom Moves didn't exist we could've gotten so many other characters who WOULDN'T be banned from tournaments or from Online.

Last edited:

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
There is a lot of praise-worthy stuff about the game and I've had a lot of fun playing it. That said, the complaints:

Loss of fun alternate modes
Field Smash is fun but the loss of character specific Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, and Event Matches is disappointing. Smash Bomber is just as much of a chore as Home Run Contest.

Starting Roster and Unlockables
The starting roster was too big and the unlocks far too easy. I unlocked all the characters after just a few days. Unlocking half the roster under unique conditions would have been better and more rewarding.

Veteran Characters not getting tweaked
Toon Link and Ganondorf are the biggest culprits. With all the effort that went into creating custom moves, it's remiss that these characters couldn't get some new specials.

Lackluster stages
So many past stages substituting for new ones.They could have at least kept the interesting ones like Onett or Hyrule Castle.

Wasted potential on character ALTs
Some characters got the proper amount of love for alternate colors to better represent their series, such as Samus and Lucina. For many others, their ALTs were uninspired or missing really obvious choices such as Pokemon not getting their Shiny color pallets. Why couldn't cut characters like Lucas and Wolf return as alternate costumes like with Captain Olimar? Why couldn't the new clones be the same?

Overrepresentation of the KI series
For having a whopping TWO games, Kid Icarus sure got a lot of content. A boatload of trophies, new items, a new stage, 3 characters (more characters than it has games in its own series!) as well as supplying half the Field Smash enemies. The fact that Pit is now billed along side characters that have been around since Smash 64 says a lot. Way to be objective, Sakurai.

Roster lacks star power
Considering we're reaching the bottom of the barrel of real Nintendo Allstars, it's amazing how many of the big names didn't make it in. No Ridley, no DK rep, no Starfox rep, no Zelda rep, no Isaac, no Mewtwo, no Toad but we get characters like Wii Fit trainer and DHD. No one is ever going to get their perfect roster (well, maybe some do) but with so many good characters not making the cut, how can this roster NOT disappoint many? The only character I really wanted to see playable who got in was Robin.

Odd priorities
A lot of Sakurai's choices in where to spend development time were odd. Why drop unique characters and clones just to add more clones? Why put so much work into Palutena and Mii's when you could have just designed new characters? I'd gladly see all the clones and two of the Mii Fighters gone just to get 2 more real characters.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Roster lacks star power
Considering we're reaching the bottom of the barrel of real Nintendo Allstars, it's amazing how many of the big names didn't make it in. No Ridley, no DK rep, no Starfox rep, no Zelda rep, no Isaac, no Mewtwo, no Toad but we get characters like Wii Fit trainer and DHD. No one is ever going to get their perfect roster (well, maybe some do) but with so many good characters not making the cut, how can this roster NOT disappoint many? The only character I really wanted to see playable who got in was Robin.
To be fair,even losting the ice climbers and the metal gear universes,we get another 8 new universes in this game.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lucina pose as Marth (including his fighting style) in Awakening?

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lucina pose as Marth (including his fighting style) in Awakening?
She poses as Marth (for reasons unknown) but her fighting style is her own. Marth does appear in some DLC but his class is a copy of Lucina's, not the other way around. Despite some similarities in their outfits, Lucina is her own character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom