• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst match up for mega man?

Chickenmcdonky

Smash Cadet
I've never had that much trouble with Shiek. Have I just been fighting mediocre/bad Shieks? Whatever the case, Lucario is a pain. I can fight him to a standstill but gimping him is impossible and catching his recovery landing onstage is extremely difficult and that's the only time he's really vulnerable. Samus is a pretty even match so long as you pressure constantly. Rob is a freakin' blast I love fighting him with Mega since i know how to take him now.

The hardest match up for me is Zelda. She moves quick, damn near impossible to gimp, her normals are sticky as hell and disjointed, and to top it off I have no idea how to punish Nayru's Love. It shuts down every option Mega Man has, so I usually just use Shulk to outreach her.

What about pit? Because hes pit.
His SideB is a pain because he can reflect a lemon and punch you in the face with one quick move. If you keep a solid distance though you can keep him under control. The tornados also lift him pretty high and can KO him easily. Here's the funny part: If he uses the orbitars, walk into it. When it drops, keep walking until you're within Utilt range and knock that ***** to the moon. Works every time.

Last edited by a moderator:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I have the most trouble with :4falcon: (very fast and powerful), :4rob: (superior range, stage control, and has a reflector), and :4ness: (crazy air game, best back throw in the game, reflector and absorb). I've run into some quite irritating :4lucario:s as well. Gotta KO that one early or life gets worse.

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
No good Mega Man should have any trouble with :4falcon:. Pellets will constantly and consistently shut down all his movements and attacks. MB and CB are good for shield pressure and grab set-ups. Speaking of grab use leaf shield when you anticipate a grab attempt because you can shield and the leaf will protect from grabs. Punish all read approaches with utilt or dsmash especially if you're pellet pummeling and you know they will roll towards you after the third shot. Works every time.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
:4ness::4falcon: You gotta gimp them. They are a tough matchup but if you can get them off the stage they can be pretty easy to kill.

I have had more trouble with ness but since ive started gimping then it has been much easier

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
I might edit this threads name to "Worst/best match up for mega man?"

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
:4ness::4falcon: You gotta gimp them. They are a tough matchup but if you can get them off the stage they can be pretty easy to kill.

I have had more trouble with ness but since ive started gimping then it has been much easier
:4falcon: are like a rushing bull coming after you. That's when lemons and crash bombs come in handy. MB are also good two!

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Ok guys lets talk about link:The spam king. This is link in a nutshell - Arrows, Boomrang and bomb's repeat.

If to far away from the ledge do this

Get a Bomb out of your pocket..... Then this should happen
tumblr_neu7wtbpQz1tma3syo1_500.gif

(A lot of links do this......and it works)

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
i find with link its best if you get him up in the air. Uair overrides his Dair. Usually I can spam just as good as him too.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
i find with link its best if you get him up in the air. Uair overrides his Dair. Usually I can spam just as good as him too.
Thanks m8! I was fighting a good link and kept on spamming which forced me to spam two!

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Metal Blades, Grabs, and Up Air are key to beating out Link. Back Air and Lemons are also decent tools against a lot of his kit. Shielded Mega Uppers make for great kill options since a lot of his moves he has to commit pretty hard to. Just play smart and if you have to neutralize the space between you two leaf shield is a good last ditch move.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
I'm curious as to how people are struggling so much with Samus spam. MM's neutral A shot takes care of super missiles, homing missiles, and even charge shot unless you're really keeping your distance and letting her charge it up.

Last edited:

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
:4falcon: and :4luigi: definitely. These are just run away pellet and hope for the best matches. They have a lot of safe options and you have to read considerably to make it playable. (When you say you have to read someone for something to work, that is the same as saying just be better.)

:4ness::4link::rosalina: and :4villager: are not bad match ups.

After playing the :4ness: match up a lot, it's actually in our favor. The ONLY thing he has is the backthrow kill. He gets ruined in every other regard. He is forced to approach you and he has no approach on you.

:4link: is in our favor. Just perfect shield the projectiles if he spams. If he approaches, he only has the zair, nair, and jab. It is a lot harder for him to space you than for you to space him.

:rosalina: NL convinced me out of thinking this is a counter. A lot of bair, uair, and gravity pull baiting.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I have trouble calling any character that is not fast enough to approach between sets of 3 lemons a negative matchup for us. That includes :4luigi::4samus::4ness::4zelda::4link:, and a few others I've seen mentioned.

Our pellets almost completely shut down those characters from outside their range, so I really can't see any way those are actually bad for us.

:4sheik: is fairly certainly among our worst matchups. This matchup is only salvaged if we can actually kill her before she kills us. I have a problem with calling this unwinnable, but I do think it's negative.

:4falcon::4lucario::4diddy: are also potential problems, but may not be too bad.

I don't really understand what the problem would be with :4gaw:. it's not like we have to pellet him, and the bucket is a fairly big commitment. we also kill him crazy early. I think it's even.

...end of the day, I don't really think we have a lot of bad matchups at all.

Last edited:

j3lly

Smash Cadet
As a Ness/Fox main (who's trying to pick up Megaman) I'm surprised Fox isn't loathed. He's pretty much Falcon but with a Reflector. Has his Blaster to force you to approach, can reflect Megaman's zoning moves, mobile on the air and ground and can rack up an insane amount of damage quicker than you can put up a Leaf Shield.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
As a Ness/Fox main (who's trying to pick up Megaman) I'm surprised Fox isn't loathed. He's pretty much Falcon but with a Reflector. Has his Blaster to force you to approach, can reflect Megaman's zoning moves, mobile on the air and ground and can rack up an insane amount of damage quicker than you can put up a Leaf Shield.
blaster doesn't force an approach, as we can fire back or just duck it. It's an impasse typically won by whoever is at lower %.

reflector really is only negative for fsmash. pellets cancel each other out. metal blades are typically thrown from far away or angled, and we don't mind being stuck with our own crash bomb (actually gives us lots of tricks).

Fox's horizontal aerial movement is actually really bad... and part of the reason he has problems approaching zoners from the air.

His damage output and killpower is very good, yes... but he's also very light. His recovery is adaptable, but Mega's projectiles and aerials seem specifically designed to screw him over. essentially, throw him offstage, throw a couple zoning projectiles to stop side B (or make him go high with it and punish him after), then fair/nair/dair/bair the low upB. leaf shield also stops his recoveries, which is great for us.

The comparison with CF is a fair one, but in that comparison, Fox is slower in the air, less powerful, and much much lighter, so the matchup isn't too bad, imo.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Captain Falcon is the hardest IMO. He rushes for you! "What about lemons....lemons help said the Mega man main" But a good Captain falcon Will Jump around and Air Dodging Every single lemon! I beat Captain falcons but mostly they don't know what there doing lol.

Last edited:

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Mega Man seems to have issues against characters with unusual aerial patterns like Ness, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, and possibly Luigi. At least that's what seems to be the pattern from what I've seen, though my own amateur experience kinda backs it up. I don't know why...maybe it's because they're harder to "control" with lemons and things than others because of that?

I've already ranted about Samus and Mario in the past, although Mario can fall into exploitable flowchart patterns pretty easily but he can still power through a lot. Samus can just outdo you at ranged in every way forcing you into the uncomfortable situation of going more offensive than normal, but since then I think Mega Man's bag of tricks has evolved enough to where it's not as hopeless as I may have originally thought...plus unfortunately so few play Samus. I'm on the fence about Sheik. Sometimes I think people exaggerate her advantage a bit too much since there's a lot Mega Man can do against her, but on the other hand her mobility is like...potentially limitless and completely in the hands of the player using her's own skill and creativity.

I feel like Mega Man has a conceivably equal to in the very least, pheasable chance against everyone else, even Diddy, but equal chance by no means easy or advantageous. imo the majority of Mega Man's matchups are middling. It's why more than any other character in this game he's one of the few I could see being a breakout surprise at some event, if not Apex than something else, because while he's not at a distinct advantage in many matchups he's in a bizarre lockjaw middle ground with most of them imo.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
:4sheik: is fairly certainly among our worst matchups. This matchup is only salvaged if we can actually kill her before she kills us. I have a problem with calling this unwinnable, but I do think it's negative.
This matchup is only salvaged if we can actually kill her before she kills us.
In honor of Superbowl Sunday (#GoHawks)

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Personally, I feel as if :4falcon:,:4sheik:, and :4fox: are his only bad match-ups at the moment (with these 3 being about 65:35 at most and 60:40 at the least; everything else feels close to even or in Mega Man's favor) . The only other match-up that I consider being even close to as bad as those three is :rosalina: , who I admittedly thought was Mega's worst match-up by far since the 3d's release. After playing a bit more, I do believe that it's still in :rosalina: favor but not by any more than 40:60. This goes for :4mario: as well; he has the tools as well as the speed to outpace Mega Man up close while giving him a decent amount of pressure from a distance. I don't really have much experience against :4samus: (who does though lol), but from the bit that I've played the match-up, it feels even. Other than that, I don't think that Mega Man has any big problems with the rest of the cast.

Last edited:

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
No good Mega Man should have any trouble with :4falcon:. Pellets will constantly and consistently shut down all his movements and attacks. MB and CB are good for shield pressure and grab set-ups. Speaking of grab use leaf shield when you anticipate a grab attempt because you can shield and the leaf will protect from grabs. Punish all read approaches with utilt or dsmash especially if you're pellet pummeling and you know they will roll towards you after the third shot. Works every time.
I know the pain of dealing with a really good mega man. The lemons really limit all of his options, and force me to go into the air, putting me into a very punishable and awkward position. Usually the best option for falcon is to empty hop into grab, but good players will usually know what I'm up to. I sometimes switch to bowser for this matchup because the lemons won't make him flinch, which is important because most mega man players will try to grab you during the hitstun from the pellets.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
So fair it said's that there are 23 bad match up for mega man (And we need to fix them). Some of the match ups i will disagree Like Pit/dark pit and robin.

But the game is young so some match ups might change.

Link to website : http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssb4/character/mega-man/

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
So fair it said's that there are 23 bad match up for mega man (And we need to fix them). Some of the match ups i will disagree Like Pit/dark pit and robin.

But the game is young so some match ups might change.

Link to website : http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssb4/character/mega-man/
Don't know about eventhubs man. I mean, it says the worst matchup for us is Rosalina... and it also says Sonic and Ness are unfavorable matchups.
What kind of people are voting on those results?

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Don't know about eventhubs man. I mean, it says the worst matchup for us is Rosalina... and it also says Sonic and Ness are unfavorable matchups.
A good Rosalina can **** mega man. Seriously, if she is good she can spam her down b and if you try to go near, she will go for the dash attack not letting you recover from your last spam. The only way you could destroy a rosalina player is if you outskill him. If he knows what he is doing it will be a nightmare.

Last edited:

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
There a voting system So people can vote for the worst match up. A lot Of the match ups are false but "Sometimes" are true.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I have some experience vs a good :4samus:, as I have a friend who mains her.

Against a good :4samus: player, it's a pretty tough match-up for one big reason: her Charge Shot.

Even a partially charged Charge Shot (I think ~half charge) beats every single one of our projectiles. This makes our typical approach options extremely stressful. Where we can normally just throw out lemons to approach safely and cover our landings against most characters, we can't do that so easily vs. Samus. Sure, we can pressure her relentlessly to deny her the ability to get a charge, but you can only do that so long.

It's also hard to deal with her missile -> Charge Shot string. If we use lemons to cancel the missile, she can punish with Charge Shot. If we try to lemon the missile and jump over the Charge Shot, Samus can catch us by hopping and shooting. If we shield both hits we risk breaking our shield. Samus's ability to alternate between Missiles and faster Super Missiles makes successfully Power Shielding or Spot Dodging tough.

She's got a few other perks against us as well. Her floaty jumps, projectiles, tether, and invincibility frames on Her UpB make her recoveries unpredictable and hard to gimp. She can also throw out bombs to change up her air momentum, which makes it tough to juggle her with uair or punish her landings with fsmash. A careful Samus can survive a long time against us.

Customs really swing the match, though. Skull Barrier is amazing in this matchup. (In fact, I need to update my Leaf Shield guide to say as much.) It shuts down her projectile antics pretty hard. You can also use it to make her bombs "friendly" and push them toward her when she tries to use them to retreat, which is always fun. Additionally, Danger Wrap is just great in this matchup. She has a much harder time avoiding it than she does uair due to its large hitbox and slow travel speed, and she struggles to avoid it when we use it to edge guard as well.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
A good Rosalina can **** mega man. Seriously, if she is good she can spam her down b and if you try to go near, she will go for the dash attack not letting you recover from your last spam. The only way you could destroy a rosalina player is if you outskill him. If he knows what he is doing it will be a nightmare.
You are definitely overestimating her down B. Plus you don't go near Rosalina, you force her to approach you. Down B negates crash bomb and metal blades you say? Why yes, but if it doesn't reflect them back at you, why would you care?

Sure, if she have the percent lead in a tournament and wants to stall you out, she can do that, but is not like it is impossible to approach her and gravitational pull is not exactly unpunishable depending on the distance.

Also, on regards to time outs, check out SSguy vs Honeybadger on the video and critique thread.

Last edited:

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Also Who's watching Apex 2015? All these Luigi mains look dangerous for mega man tho.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Also Who's watching Apex 2015? All these Luigi mains look dangerous for mega man tho.
Any links to watch?

I don't really know about Luigi, he definitely seems like a threat for us with his dthrow combos and that stupid tornado, plus his recovery with that side b to down B to up B or jump stuff seems really good, but i think we could mess it up with our metal blades.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Don't want to go too much off topic on this thread but whatever, man! Just saw a Luigi destroying a poor DK, only to see a Pac-man destroying Luigi.

Hopefully we will have some videos of MM against this two when apex ends, both seem like interesting matchups, especially Pac-man(those apples and keys ...).
IKR! that pac-man tho! Then we got Dk which got rekt by luigi (Which is sad :() But man these matches are hype!

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Don't want to go too much off topic on this thread but whatever, man! Just saw a Luigi destroying a poor DK, only to see a Pac-man destroying Luigi.

Hopefully we will have some videos of MM against this two when apex ends, both seem like interesting matchups, especially Pac-man(those apples and keys ...).
Chef Pac is cooking hype in that kitchen XD

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I have some experience vs a good :4samus:, as I have a friend who mains her.

Against a good :4samus: player, it's a pretty tough match-up for one big reason: her Charge Shot.

Even a partially charged Charge Shot (I think ~half charge) beats every single one of our projectiles. This makes our typical approach options extremely stressful. Where we can normally just throw out lemons to approach safely and cover our landings against most characters, we can't do that so easily vs. Samus. Sure, we can pressure her relentlessly to deny her the ability to get a charge, but you can only do that so long.

It's also hard to deal with her missile -> Charge Shot string. If we use lemons to cancel the missile, she can punish with Charge Shot. If we try to lemon the missile and jump over the Charge Shot, Samus can catch us by hopping and shooting. If we shield both hits we risk breaking our shield. Samus's ability to alternate between Missiles and faster Super Missiles makes successfully Power Shielding or Spot Dodging tough.

She's got a few other perks against us as well. Her floaty jumps, projectiles, tether, and invincibility frames on Her UpB make her recoveries unpredictable and hard to gimp. She can also throw out bombs to change up her air momentum, which makes it tough to juggle her with uair or punish her landings with fsmash. A careful Samus can survive a long time against us.

Customs really swing the match, though. Skull Barrier is amazing in this matchup. (In fact, I need to update my Leaf Shield guide to say as much.) It shuts down her projectile antics pretty hard. You can also use it to make her bombs "friendly" and push them toward her when she tries to use them to retreat, which is always fun. Additionally, Danger Wrap is just great in this matchup. She has a much harder time avoiding it than she does uair due to its large hitbox and slow travel speed, and she struggles to avoid it when we use it to edge guard as well.
In response to Skull Barrier, though, Samus has the Dense Charge Shot which is much
harder to turn on her without a read (though a bit slower to charge), or if even that is too risky for her, the Melee
Charge Shot which isn't a projectile at all and charges relatively quickly. And don't even get started on the
Relentless Missiles. Finally, she gets a potent OOS attack in the form of shinespark (Apex Screw Attack)

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, from my personal experience, Megaman totally dominates Ness. He's way too quick for him, and can keep him away with Metal blades. It's also way easy to recover against him.

His worst 3 matchups, in order (for myself), are:
1. Fox
2. Rosalina
3. Shiek

Fox is self explanatory, his highly accessible reflector makes it very difficult for Megaman to make use of his edge guarding options, and his Metal blade in any capacity. What separates Fox from the rest of reflector-based characters is that he can stay on top of Megaman, as his overall speed gives Megaman no time to breathe, and the use of his reflector during times of Megaman's retaliation makes it feel helpless sometimes. You really need to consider switching to Sonic, or just be on top of your game if you want to win this matchup. Megaman is actually very strong, but because of his strange character design, it makes certian characters very well equipped to deal with him.

Rosalina is frustrating because if she is alert, or patient, she can get rid of your Metal blade. The other projectiles don't matter so much, because A) You have infinity of them if they disappear, and B) You shouldn't be using your F-Smash against her in the first place, it's worthless. Grav pull is only one thing that makes her frustrating, but another thing she has that frustrates Megaman is that her dash attack covers A LOT of ground, and has an odd tendency of either catching his metal blades more than normal, or clashing with his projectiles and nullifying them. Speaking of nullifying projectiles, if she isn't clashing with them, or pulling them away, Luma absorbs them, making it really hard to back her up. Her primary advantage over the blue bomber is her ability to pressure him from underneath while he tries to land somewhere safely. If Megaman is in the air, it is inherently difficult for him to land on the stage safely, especially while Rosalina's arials come out so quickly.

Lastly, and I'll make this one short, is Shiek. What makes her tough is that she is able to hang out in a diagonal shorthop area over megaman's head, which is tough for him to reach since most of his moves are very linear. She also does a lot of what fox does best, which is suffocate Megaman's offense, make him miss, and pester him as he tries to get his feet. I've struggled a lot against Shieks, so this is just something from myself personally.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
In response to Skull Barrier, though, Samus has the Dense Charge Shot which is much
harder to turn on her without a read (though a bit slower to charge), or if even that is too risky for her, the Melee
Charge Shot which isn't a projectile at all and charges relatively quickly. And don't even get started on the
Relentless Missiles. Finally, she gets a potent OOS attack in the form of shinespark (Apex Screw Attack)
So, with all that you and ChopperDave said, would it be right to call this matchup unwinnable?

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Honestly, from my personal experience, Megaman totally dominates Ness. He's way too quick for him, and can keep him away with Metal blades. It's also way easy to recover against him.
The ness match up is mostly spacing MB and CB (also short hoping lemons) but Also this is when the leaf shield Comes in (Ness cant grab you when you have a leaf shield.)

Top Bottom