• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf and Fox comparison-Why Wolf is not a clone!

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Just to put all this clone nonsense at rest, you guys should be ripping Falco apart instead of Wolf. Compared to Fox, Wolf is the least clony as the two of them.

It's pretty well accepted that Lucario and Luigi are not clones of Mewtwo or Mario, for the main reason that they have their own unique A attacks with many unique animations, and some custom B attacks as well. Let's take a closer look and compare Wolf to his counterparts based on what we've seen of his move set so far.

I will update with Falco's attacks once we get to see more of them. For now, we'll just stick with Fox and Wolf, since Fox is the "original".

EDIT: More attacks added thanks to This video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m_eb7FKPzpA

And this video:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cPz99Ogz410

UP B ATTACK
--------------------
Fox: fire fox. A charge followed by a flaming dash in the air.

Wolf: seems like a jetpack. NO CHARGE, just a sudden blast in any direction. This is comparable in difference to Luigi's up B and Mario's. Similar, yet different.
WARNING: UNCONFIRMED: in the second video, it shows Wolf using some crazy flying kick attack on the ground that I suspect to be this exact move but used at ground level. If that's the case, then everyone calling this a clone move needs to eat some humble pie.

B ATTACK
----------------
Fox: blaster. It fires lasers at rapid speed. The lasers are thin and red and travel very fast.

Wolf: The lasers are nothing like Fox's. In fact, this move is more like Zero Suit Samus's stun gun. This move is actually not a copy of Fox's blaster at all. The animation is different, the effect is very different. This is a new move.

SIDE B ATTACK
---------------
Fox: Fox illusion. A speedy horizontal dash.

Wolf: Has a similar move, except it goes at a slight 25degree angle. This is indeed a "cloned" move.

DOWN B ATTACK
-------------------
Fox: reflector. It's blue and hexagonal. Hits opponents away.

Wolf: Red and has blades that fan out on either side. This probably has much greater offensive power, yet nobody has managed to land it at close range yet. Seems unique enough to be considered a new move.

FORWARD SMASH ATTACK
--------------------
Fox: a leaping heel kick in Tae Kwon Do style. Moves Fox forward a bit.

Wolf: A lunging palm strike that covers a great deal of horizontal difference and has substantial lag afterwards, yet starts quickly. This is a totally new move, and is like a cross between Captain Falcon's Fsmash and the illusion move.

UP SMASH ATTACK
--------------------
Fox: flip kick. Covers a semi-circle above Fox's head starting in front of him.

Wolf: A jumping upside-down dropkick in the Capoera style that hits above him in a single motion, covering a lot more range above him and slightly to the side as his legs spin into position. Once again, massive range and is a totally unique move.

DOWN SMASH ATTACK
------------------
Fox: a split kick that hits on either side of Fox equally. Fast with lag.

Wolf: Wolf swipes low with his claws, hitting in front of him first and then behind. A unique move that's similar in element to Link's down smash.

FORWARD TILT ATTACK
------------------------
Fox: does a quick roundhouse kick in front of him in Tae Kwon Do style.

Wolf: Wolf claws at the opponent with a swing of his arm. Lots of lag and it seems almost like a smash attack in its speed and power. Once again...a unique move.

RUNNING ATTACK
---------------------
Fox: does a running jump kick that knocks the opponent away at an angle upwards. Standard fare.

Wolf: I haven't seen this myself, but reports say that it's a running flip-kick that knocks the opponent upwards. Different animation, different attack. Orignal move.

NEUTRAL AIR
-------------
Fox: a jump kick with leg outstretched.

Wolf: Much like Pikachu's Nair. Wolf curls himself into a ball for a multi-hit spinning attack. I don't think I need to bother pointing out that this is an original move.

UP TILT
-----------
Fox: flexible kick over his head from behind. Hits behind and above.

Wolf: a cute little can-can kick style move. Original attack and animation.

DOWN TILT
-------------
Fox: sweeps low with his tail

Wolf: some weird breakdancy looking kick. Kind of looks like he fell over or something. XD

DOWN AIR
-------------
Fox: a spinning drill kick similar to Mario and Kirby in execution.

Wolf: a two-handed slash downwards between his legs with some startaup time. Confirmed to spike. More like Captain Falcon's Dair if anything else. Original attack and animation.

FORWARD AIR
----------------
Fox: does a spinning butterfly kick in Tae Kwon Do style in the air. Hits multiple times.

Wolf: does a flying split kick for a single hit. Looks similar to Fox's Bair except it hits in front of him.

BACK THROW
--------------
Fox: grabs the opponent and throws them backwards while shooting them with his laser.

Wolf: slings the opponent over his shoulder, jumps and kicks them away with is feet. Incredibly cool looking attack. Original animation and attack.

DOWN THROW
--------------
Fox: throws opponent on the ground and blasts with laser.

Wolf: jumps above the opponent and scratches them with his foot ninja-style. All of Wolf's throws look really cool.

BACK AIR
-------------
Fox: an aerial split kick.

Wolf: less of a split kick and more of a straight kick. His other leg tucks in under him when he does this move. Not an entirely original move, but at least the animation is different enough for it to be considered different from Fox's attack, at least visually.

UP AIR
------------
Fox: the infamous "Mc Cloud Flip". Fox flips upside down and attacks the foe with his legs.

Wolf: A strange looking attack where Wolf swings his claws over his head and ends up with his body in a starjump position. In any case, it's quite different to Fox's up air.

UP THROW
--------------
Fox: throws opponent overhead and shoots with lasers.

Wolf: holds opponent over his head and tears into them with is claws, launching upwards. Similar to Peach's up throw in appearance.
-----------------------
And that's all we've seen of Wolf as of yet, however, it's clear that he's not nearly worthy of the same "clone" title as people have been giving him just because of his red landmaster. If you're going to complain about Starfox clones, go whine about Falco. NOT WOLF.

Oh, and another piece of good old fashioned video game logic I'd like to put on the table: Speaking from the viewpoint of somebody who's dabbled in video game design and animation: (yes, I'm an animator and I'm making a character in MUGEN with original animations from the ground up, so I have some idea how this all works on a basic level)

These are the three elements that make up an attack for any specific character:

1) animation. A movement that will become the visual body of this "attack".
2) Appropriately placed hitboxes. These are collision "boxes" that have a certain frame time, and a certain size and can be placed anywhere on a character's body. When collision box A(attacking box) comes into contact with a Collision box B(connection box) the game tells the characters how to act accordingly.
3) results. The effect that the attack has if it hits.

Now for starters, Let's compare Wolf's down smash to Fox's down smash. The animation for both of them is clearly different, so we have no. 1 covered.
Secondly, the hitboxes for Fox's attack stretches low and underneath him in one large rectangle or two small rectangles on either foot. Both come out at exactly the same time. Wolf's come out one after the other. That's no. 2 covered.
Thirdly, the damage and knockback are different in the cases of both attacks. That's no3 covered as well.

Put it all together, and you have an ORIGINAL attack. And as I'm sure you monkeys would agree (or not) that original =/= clone.

Most of Wolf's entire moveset fills these three requirements.

On a side note, after watching that second video...holy cow. Wolf for God tier anyone??

Black/Light

Smash Master
I would like to point out my thread that shows, at least to some unknown level right now, that Falco has atleast gone from "Clone" to Luigi level.

You seem to have a good eye, if you can see anything else pointing to this than please do so.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=139946

(The guy who first said that one of Falco's air moves had changed also said that he saw a new "drill kick" as a smash move. I see the air move he was refering too so I think it's safe to say that one of his smashs have also changed. . .just can't find it)

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Im so going to main wolf, he is different enough to not be a clone. He seems more power-orientated, kind of like the ganon version of falcon in melee now.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
PrettyGoodYear.... STILL too similar? That's absurd.

It is in the nature of the game to rehash moves and elements from other moves. I bet if you boiled it down there are only about 10 basic A moves and everyone other attack is a cross or mix of that, not to mention other characters rehash moves as well.

For example, in melee:
Ness, Zelda, and Peach have the same Nair
Fox and Kirby have the same up tilt
Captain Falcon and Smaus have the same up tilt
Mario and Captain Falcon have the same uair

You see? He is a very different character overall. He may just seem more like a clone to you because you refuse to drop your barrier of, "There's no way he can by anything other than a Luigi-fied clone at best" I'm not saying that is true, but you have to be a lot more open than that.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Landmaster tank. end discussion.

Also i don't care about "animations" if the over B still shoots a horizontal projectile its a clone move. if down B brings up a shield and reflects projectiles its a clone move. If down B made him place c4 on the ground that you can blow up later thats a clone move, but dang it wouldn't be from fox at least....

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Soooo... Lark...

Luigi, Mario, Samus, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Zero Suit Samus, Link, Toon Link, and Lucairo all ahve the same clone move because it shoots a horizontal projectile, right?

I don't think that's very fair.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
PrettyGoodYear.... STILL too similar? That's absurd.

It is in the nature of the game to rehash moves and elements from other moves. I bet if you boiled it down there are only about 10 basic A moves and everyone other attack is a cross or mix of that, not to mention other characters rehash moves as well.

For example, in melee:
Ness, Zelda, and Peach have the same Nair
Fox and Kirby have the same up tilt
Captain Falcon and Smaus have the same up tilt
Mario and Captain Falcon have the same uair

You see? He is a very different character overall. He may just seem more like a clone to you because you refuse to drop your barrier of, "There's no way he can by anything other than a Luigi-fied clone at best" I'm not saying that is true, but you have to be a lot more open than that.
Too similar because it adds more insult to injury. So Wolf is an original character that is basically another space animal. Not even a clone. NOW there are much worthy people that could've gotten in.

True Fool

Smash Ace
I'm glad that my comp is loading this site again. The people on Gfaqs won't stop calling him a clone, and every topic has a LandMaster joke in it.

But since I saw him in the first video, I knew he wasn't a clone. I love how his >B and >smash look. I actually like all three of the space-animals this time around. I used to hate Falco because his strategy seemed too easy to me, but now he looks much more fun while still being a good character.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I've seen a few moves that have gone unposted:

source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ40KaZ-kbU

Up-tilt: at precisely 1:00 in the above, Wolf performs a powerful upward strike from the ground using one or both of his arms (video quality is too low to make out)

Back-aerial: Claw Swipe: at precisely 1:32 in the above video, Wolf swipes at Squirtle behind him while airborne. Sends opponent up, good killing move.

Up-aerial: devastating left-hook, at precisely 1:58 in the above KOing Meta Knight. the animation appears similar to Mario/Ganondorf Forward aerial, only directed upward rather than forward

Down-aerial: in the above video, Wolf performs a down-aerial attack against Ivisaur after KOing Meta Knight with an Up aerial. although the video quality was poor, Wolf's orientation was straight up and down, not at an angle like Fox/Falco. (whether he was upside down or not I cannot tell)

Standard A Sequence: a series of three punches, ends with a downward right hook. Wolf performs it against Ike at 1:20 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOvVO-FhJY&feature=related

Forward-Aerial: Claw swipe. at 1:31 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNMw7ahsN1M KOing Olimar. Unlike the back-aerial, this move sends the opponent away at a slight angle upward from the horizontal.

Standard-Aerial: Flying kick. at 0:20 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ40KaZ-kbU Wolf performs a kick in mid-air, however, the animation appears more like Fox's back aerial than the standard aerial.

It seems for Wolf, where Fox would kick, Wolf throws a punch or swipes with his claws.

Hope this helps.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master

Also i don't care about "animations" if the over B still shoots a horizontal projectile its a clone move. if down B brings up a shield and reflects projectiles its a clone move. If down B made him place c4 on the ground that you can blow up later thats a clone move, but dang it wouldn't be from fox at least....
So Pit and Link are clones because their B moves both are bows that fire arrows? I think not.

Attacks in games are made up of three things: Animations, appropriately placed collision boxes, and effects on hit. If the animation, collision boxes and hit are unique, then the attack is not a clone.

Starscream

Smash Ace
I just got through watching some live streamed videos and Wolf is definitely not a clone of Fox. Pretty much every A move is different with the exception of MAYBE the bair.

I'm sure this is nothing new but I'll just post my observations.

His dash-A is like a weaker version of Fox's USmash. He runs at you then kicks you directly up.
USmash is like Fox's UAir on the ground. No they're are not the same animation, I'm merely using it as a comparison to give you an idea of how it looks and works. Wolf is not a clone.

No Final Smash though.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I added some more definitions to the main post and a little rant about the components of an original attack. I'll be adding Falco's moves to the comparison once his entire moveset has been revealed, since I'm not very interested in Falco. But I may as well turn this topic into a Fox/Wolf/Falco comparison thread for the Falco users to enjoy as well.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Wolf is a concept clone - his moves all have the same concept behind them as Fox. They didn't come up with anything original for his specials, they just altered what was already there for Fox.

So... he's not a clone like Dr Mario was, who's only truly unique aspect was the way his "fireball" bounced... but you all know what people mean when they say Wolf's a clone. Not that he plays the same, or all his moves work the same... just that he's basically a modified version of Fox.

Of course, people would probably be less inclined to call him a clone if he didn't also look like Fox and come from the same series. If this was Ray 01 from Custom Robo (the moveset seems like it could fit for that sort of character), then probably people wouldn't say he's a clone, just that he's fairly similar.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Wolf is a concept clone - his moves all have the same concept behind them as Fox. They didn't come up with anything original for his specials, they just altered what was already there for Fox.

So... he's not a clone like Dr Mario was, who's only truly unique aspect was the way his "fireball" bounced... but you all know what people mean when they say Wolf's a clone. Not that he plays the same, or all his moves work the same... just that he's basically a modified version of Fox.

Of course, people would probably be less inclined to call him a clone if he didn't also look like Fox and come from the same series. If this was Ray 01 from Custom Robo (the moveset seems like it could fit for that sort of character), then probably people wouldn't say he's a clone, just that he's fairly similar.
READ THE MAIN POST.

Wolf's moves don't look, act or work like Fox's moves AT ALL. A vast majority of them are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! EVEN IN CONCEPT.

Fox's forward smash hits above him in an arc starting from behind and moves him forwards a bit. Wolf's forward smash pushes him forwards a whole lot and hits right in front of him. By your standards, Mario and Sonic are "conceptual clones" because their forward smash attacks both hit the opponent once and knock them away, jeez!

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Thats great to know, I look forward to playing as Wolf, Falco and Fox, they might be from the same series and have the same Final Smash but I still look forward to trying all 3 and seeing which one I like better.

All 3 are similar but also very different.

ThreeX

Smash Lord

who cares about the final smash, this threads goes in detail of the moves, he's NOT a clone, and like Kashakunaki said, your just not letting yourself allow that, your being stubborn, and you want your way, your saying wolf is a clone, and that's all you want. Which, in my opinion, is pretty lame :$ it's not your game, so deal with it. Complaining isn't going to do ANYTHING, and look at melee, falco was a clone, and in my opinion he ***** fox =P

But anyways, if you have such a grudge for wolf, just because he's a clone. There's one simple solution, don't be him :]

Well, now.. something i'd like to say is.... i'm definately wolf, just because when i first heard of brawl coming out, I had said that if wolf,skullkid, or isaac made it into the game, I'd definately main them. I've always LOVED wolf since starfox 64, so I really can't wait.

And another funny thing is, before this roster got leaked, idk why, but i was always talking bad about brawl, I was saying that it's not gonna be that good, but ever since the roster got leaked it totally changed my perspective when i saw that falco+wolf were in it, was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
And another funny thing is, before this roster got leaked, idk why, but i was always talking bad about brawl, I was saying that it's not gonna be that good, but ever since the roster got leaked it totally changed my perspective when i saw that falco+wolf were in it, was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way.
I've never doubted Brawl, the Original Smash and Melee are very good games and I was pretty sure Brawl would live up to it's reputation.

Well I can say that I haven't played it but off the videos I seen it looks awesome.

Only a little over 5 weeks left anyways... it won't be to long now.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I've seen a few moves that have gone unposted:

source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ40KaZ-kbU

Up-tilt: at precisely 1:00 in the above, Wolf performs a powerful upward strike from the ground using one or both of his arms (video quality is too low to make out)

Back-aerial: Claw Swipe: at precisely 1:32 in the above video, Wolf swipes at Squirtle behind him while airborne. Sends opponent up, good killing move.

Up-aerial: devastating left-hook, at precisely 1:58 in the above KOing Meta Knight. the animation appears similar to Mario/Ganondorf Forward aerial, only directed upward rather than forward

Down-aerial: in the above video, Wolf performs a down-aerial attack against Ivisaur after KOing Meta Knight with an Up aerial. although the video quality was poor, Wolf's orientation was straight up and down, not at an angle like Fox/Falco. (whether he was upside down or not I cannot tell)

Standard A Sequence: a series of three punches, ends with a downward right hook. Wolf performs it against Ike at 1:20 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOvVO-FhJY&feature=related

Forward-Aerial: Claw swipe. at 1:31 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNMw7ahsN1M KOing Olimar. Unlike the back-aerial, this move sends the opponent away at a slight angle upward from the horizontal.

Standard-Aerial: Flying kick. at 0:20 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ40KaZ-kbU Wolf performs a kick in mid-air, however, the animation appears more like Fox's back aerial than the standard aerial.

It seems for Wolf, where Fox would kick, Wolf throws a punch or swipes with his claws.

Hope this helps.
Good stuff Chaos Leader. Thank you.

I see what kind of angle you are coming from, but I disagree. In fact, I think it is rather ridiculous. If that's the case, in theory, everyone except the original 12 characters are concept clones. Everyone is just a rehash and alteration of Mario, Luigi, Samus, DK, Ness, CF, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, Link, Yoshi, and Jigglypuff in some way or another. That's not fair at all.

I would still call him a "semi-clone".

Wolf is to Fox as Luigi is to Mario.
Eh. He does have SOME similar moves, but as I've explained time and a time again, all characters do. Mario's Uair seems to popular with the crowd, for example.

If anything I think Falco is a Luigified version of Fox (maybe Luigified Luigi... but that might be pushign it) and Wolf is a Luigified Luigified Luigified Luigified Falco... making him an EXTREMELY distant relative to Fox.

I again think a major role as to why people undoubtably think he is a clone or say so is because that's just what they've trained themselves to believe, and now that it isn't true, it's frustrating to them. I think I'll call it the "Brawl Roster Syndrome". You raised your bar SO so high that when the final result came you were dissappointed and thought it sucked. However, this is the opposite case here. Your bar was very, very low and you weren't expecting anything at all, and now we have something, and it's a little hard to accept. ANd I'm not just talking about you, so sorry if it seems like I'm attacking you. I'm just ranting a little bit, so... yeah... IMO that's what it seems like.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Wolf's moves don't look, act or work like Fox's moves AT ALL. A vast majority of them are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! EVEN IN CONCEPT.
I said his specials, not all his moves.

And yes, his specials are the same in concept. Removing the fire from his up-B doesn't make it completely different. The other three are quite obviously the same concept, being an illusion move, a reflector (does it reflect?)/forcefield type move, and a blaster. And of course, no one can say his FS is not cloned, altho I'm sure his landmaster has some different properties.
I see what kind of angle you are coming from, but I disagree. In fact, I think it is rather ridiculous. If that's the case, in theory, everyone except the original 12 characters are concept clones.
If you didn't notice, my last point explained that were it not for the other similarities in their characters (similar appearance, same series, etc.) people would be much less inclined to call him a clone.

You all know what they mean anyway. They're not saying he's exactly alike. They're saying that having two characters that are fairly similar to Fox instead of giving some other series an additional or first rep is annoying. And that they wished that at least Wolf and Falco would not still have variations on Fox's specials for all theirs, even if they have fairly different properties.
Everyone is just a rehash and alteration of Mario, Luigi, Samus, DK, Ness, CF, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, Link, Yoshi, and Jigglypuff in some way or another. That's not fair at all.
Yeah, except what I said does not lead to that, and it's simply not true in the first place.

What character is a rehash of Jigglypuff? His puffball jumping is shared by other characters, but his specials are not shared with any character. What character is a rehash of Samus? No character has a chargeable sphere AND missiles AND bombs that are like hers. What character has a ground pound, headbutt that pushes you into the ground and a chargeable punch? Other characters might share similarities, but the thing is that Falco and Wolf's specials are all clearly based on Fox's specials. They are different in ways, but it's still obvious that Fox's were the basis. Other characters might have some similarities in one or two specials (Luigi and Pikachu's forward B, Mewtwo/Lucario and Samus's neutral B, Pit and Link's bows, Yoshi, Bowser's down B and Dedede's up B), but they don't share all their specials, and they have different melee moves as well. Fox, Falco and Wolf have different melee moves, but all their specials and FSs share the same basis. The closest exception is Wolf's up B.

I'm not saying other characters don't have similarities in some parts - the point is that for the non-clone characters, they don't share more than one special. Don't misrepresent my point.

At any rate, I'm not hating on Wolf except for the well-known and oft repeated fact that I (and many others) would have preferred certain other characters over him or Falco. I'm sure he'll be fun to use and play quite differently from Fox. I'm only defending the notion that he's clone-like, because pretending that he's "completely different" is simply not true. Obviously he's not nearly as bad as Dr Mario, Roy or Young Link (or Toon Link or even Falco), so don't think I'm saying he's on that level.
making him an EXTREMELY distant relative to Fox.
See this is what I'm talking about. He's not an "EXTREMELY distant" relative to Fox. He's pretty distinct, considering that we know he's based on Fox, but acting like his specials are not obviously based on Fox is silly.

And as I said before, I admit that this would be less of an issue if it were not for the fact that Fox and Wolf look so similar and are from the same series, with the same role in it (fighter pilot).

My point is just to admit that yes, he's a Luigified clone. He's no more different from Fox than Luigi is from Mario, that's for sure. Even less so, really, considering that Luigi has the Luigi rocket, and now Mario has FLUDD and his cape, not to mention the differences now between their tornados being pretty large... meaning they have two (one and a half, if I'm being nice about the tornado) completely distinct specials. But him being a Luigified clone is not that bad. But arguing that he's more distinct from Fox than Luigi is from Mario is simply a failing proposition.

LeuMasT

Smash Apprentice
Wolf is actually pretty large in size, did anyone else notice that? He seems much larger in stature than the other space animals.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Honestly it's fitting to have all 3 spacies have the same equipment. They all have different fighting styles. But because they do the same things(fly spaceships) they carry roughly the same equipment to help them out. A way to fly incase the ship crashes, a way to stop lasers from hitting them, and a gun. Makes sense to me. Or at least it's the best way to look at it. The landmastyer summoner is dumb though.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Erimir: Wolf is beyond even a Luigified clone. Most of Luigi's moves look the same as Mario. So far, ALL of Wolf's A attacks appear to be totally unique. You are treating special attacks as if they're the be all and end all. Move for move, Wolf has more original attacks than Luigi.

And by your standards, Ike and Marth are Luigified clones because they're both sword wielding humans from the same series with the same role.

EDIT: Thanks to that new Wolf video that came in, I added some more of his moves to the comparison.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Erimir: Wolf is beyond even a Luigified clone. Most of Luigi's moves look the same as Mario. So far, ALL of Wolf's A attacks appear to be totally unique. You are treating special attacks as if they're the be all and end all. Move for move, Wolf has more original attacks than Luigi.
Luigi's neutral A combo ends differently, his smash forward, tilt up, dash a, f-air and d-air are all different, at least in Melee. Not sure if he hasn't been changed even more in Brawl - it wouldn't surprise me. And specials are more important. That's why they're specials. So yes, I am counting them more.

Wolf is not more distinct than Luigi. I guess he's about the same, if none of his standard attacks are the same. He's definitely, with Luigi, the least clone-like of the characters in Brawl that could be accused of being clones.

I mean, it's obvious they took Fox and tweaked him, changed up standard attacks and gave his landmaster a paint job. He's not super similar, but pretending like there's no basis for calling him a semi-clone is just an attempt to justify his position on the roster, given that so many people would have rather had someone else.
And by your standards, Ike and Marth are Luigified clones because they're both sword wielding humans from the same series with the same role.
Did you pay any attention when I said that?

I said it contributed - in combination with the fact that all of Wolf's specials are based on Fox's, or in the case of his FS, nearly identical. Since Ike and Marth have different moves, except for their down-b, "by my standards" they would not be clones of any sort.

Relhots

Smash Lord
Luigi's neutral A combo ends differently, his smash forward, tilt up, dash a, f-air and d-air are all different, at least in Melee. Not sure if he hasn't been changed even more in Brawl - it wouldn't surprise me. And specials are more important. That's why they're specials. So yes, I am counting them more.

Wolf is not more distinct than Luigi. I guess he's about the same, if none of his standard attacks are the same. He's definitely, with Luigi, the least clone-like of the characters in Brawl that could be accused of being clones.

I mean, it's obvious they took Fox and tweaked him, changed up standard attacks and gave his landmaster a paint job. He's not super similar, but pretending like there's no basis for calling him a semi-clone is just an attempt to justify his position on the roster, given that so many people would have rather had someone else.
Did you pay any attention when I said that?

I said it contributed - in combination with the fact that all of Wolf's specials are based on Fox's, or in the case of his FS, nearly identical. Since Ike and Marth have different moves, except for their down-b, "by my standards" they would not be clones of any sort.
Wolf isn't a luigified clone...not even close. He only has 1 move that is cloned from Fox..and that is his FS... Everything else is completely different...

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I'm going to have to disagree with the, "It's obvious they took Fox and tweaked him."

No. A tweak of a character would be like Dr. Mario to Mario and Ganondorf to Falcon. Mostly similar moves, but different hitbox and effects.

Wolf is a massive overhaul. If anything, I think it is clear they did him from scratch. It would be more work the other way around. By the by, his specials aren't very similar, either.

EDIT: That isn't true... uhh, man that posted before man. Can't remeber your name.

Wolf's down B bears resemble in effect and animation wise Fox's. Though, in general, Wolf is one of the farthest characters from cloned.

Relhots

Smash Lord
I'm going to have to disagree with the, "It's obvious they took Fox and tweaked him."

No. A tweak of a character would be like Dr. Mario to Mario and Ganondorf to Falcon. Mostly similar moves, but different hitbox and effects.

Wolf is a massive overhaul. If anything, I think it is clear they did him from scratch. It would be more work the other way around. By the by, his specials aren't very similar, either.

EDIT: That isn't true... uhh, man that posted before man. Can't remeber your name.

Wolf's down B bears resemble in effect and animation wise Fox's. Though, in general, Wolf is one of the farthest characters from cloned.
Unless there is a new term for it... like Wolfified? idk :laugh:

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Wolf IS more distinct than Luigi. *twitch* Look at Luigi's A attacks, will you? His Nair, Dsmash, Usmash, Uair, Dair, Throws, Bair and Ftilt are clone moves from Mario. (Same animations at least).

How many of Wolf's A moves are the same as Fox's? NONE. ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA. We've seen almost his entire moveset and all his attacks are totally unique.

Luigi's B moves? UpB, DownB and B are all cloned moves.

Wolf's up B, when used from the ground, does a massive blast-kick attack. Even when used in the air, Wolf does a spinning kick to knock the opponent away at the end of the attack. Can Luigi boast such a drastically modified move for his up B? No, he can't.

Wokf's 'blaster' has a different effect, animation, and hitbox to Fox's blaster. Luigi's fireball has a different firing animation, but the projectile itself is just a pallete swap of Mario's fireball, and the hitbox is the same.

We don't even know much about Wolf's reflector yet, but it seems like it is a counter to physical attacks.

Relhots

Smash Lord
Wolf IS more distinct than Luigi. *twitch* Look at Luigi's A attacks, will you? His Nair, Dsmash, Usmash, Uair, Dair, Throws, Bair and Ftilt are clone moves from Mario. (Same animations at least).

How many of Wolf's A moves are the same as Fox's? NONE. ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA. We've seen almost his entire moveset and all his attacks are totally unique.

Luigi's B moves? UpB, DownB and B are all cloned moves.

Wolf's up B, when used from the ground, does a massive blast-kick attack. Even when used in the air, Wolf does a spinning kick to knock the opponent away at the end of the attack. Can Luigi boast such a drastically modified move for his up B? No, he can't.

Wokf's 'blaster' has a different effect, animation, and hitbox to Fox's blaster. Luigi's fireball has a different firing animation, but the projectile itself is just a pallete swap of Mario's fireball, and the hitbox is the same.

We don't even know much about Wolf's reflector yet, but it seems like it is a counter to physical attacks.
Does it spike? i've looked in some videos but didn't see anything...

Top Bottom