• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

wolf a campy character?

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
i find the best way to win with wolf is spam lasers and bait your opponent to you then spam the fsmash.

wut do yall think about this cheap but amazingly powerful strategy ;)

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
Hes only a campy char. if you make him and yes that is a horrible way to win against better opponents its not going to work and it is cheap in my opinion

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
exactly but yeah that type of play does not show actual skill its just exploiting something any one could do which gives the char. a bad reputation.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's is extremely annoying when people camp and it just shows they don't have the guts to fight you. Wimps...

Just because you somehow won the match from camping does NOT make you a better player... it makes you a coward who just happened to win. You are not skilled in any way, shape or form.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Wolf can be a very nasty effective camper or he can be offensive, so however you play.

Also

It's is extremely annoying when people camp and it just shows they don't have the guts to fight you. Wimps...

Just because you somehow won the match from camping does NOT make you a better player... it makes you a coward who just happened to win. You are not skilled in any way, shape or form.
At a tourney, the winner is the one who advances and the winner is the one who makes the money. If camping makes you win, so be it. The guy who hands you your prize money doesn't care if you camped or not.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion

Camping is not a coward way to play, it is playing to win, and using all the strategies at your disposal to do so. If you have to camp to win, so be it. It means you're playing the strat that works for you and if you lose to it, you got outplayed. Plain and simple. I beat Oakwood's Meta Knight camping, and then Overswarm beat my Wolf with ROB camping and defensive strategies. He simply outplayed me, and I outplayed Oakwood, nothing less. Whatever works will be used.

If you have a problem with camping, I suggest you don't attend very many tournaments, because you will get camped and probably ***** and moan about it.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
Wolf can be a very nasty effective camper or he can be offensive, so however you play.

Also

At a tourney, the winner is the one who advances and the winner is the one who makes the money. If camping makes you win, so be it.
Well if you just want money and no respect from other players well then i guess you could look at it that way but you will never get respect for playing this way thats all im saying. if your about money and not about reputation well then i guess its fine

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Well if you just want money and no respect from other players well then i guess you could look at it that way but you will never get respect for playing this way thats all im saying. if your about money and not about reputation well then i guess its fine
Good for you to have honor, but I don't think playing to please other people and not to win will get you very far.

The only people who look down on you camping are scrubs who can't play the game or whiney *** people who don't want to work around it.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
i don't know i win with out camping quite often. yes its a tactic that is out there but i don't think it should be abused. And thats not true at all everyone looks down at camping except campers themselves. If it was that way then pretty soon everyone will start camping and it will come down to which char. has most potential to camp. another words id guess R.O.B

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer

Also

At a tourney, the winner is the one who advances and the winner is the one who makes the money. If camping makes you win, so be it. The guy who hands you your prize money doesn't care if you camped or not.
Sure, but don't go bragging about skills, because you have none.

Camping is not a coward way to play, it is playing to win, and using all the strategies at your disposal to do so. If you have to camp to win, so be it. It means you're playing the strat that works for you and if you lose to it, you got outplayed. Plain and simple. I beat Oakwood's Meta Knight camping, and then Overswarm beat my Wolf with ROB camping and defensive strategies. He simply outplayed me, and I outplayed Oakwood, nothing less. Whatever works will be used.

If you have a problem with camping, I suggest you don't attend very many tournaments, because you will get camped and probably ***** and moan about it.
I've been to many tournaments, and campers lose, because camping can be very easy to avoid (depending on projectiles and how fast your character is), and once you have no where to camp, you are screwed.

Plus, how can you get better at smash when all you do is camp? Camping just shows you have NO skills and you would rather bs your way to winning then earning it.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
XD

I got drug on here to see people still dont understand the concept of Playing to Win?

-laughs-

It's real easy to cry about a "camper with no skill" when you're pooling money from your friends to get gas home and the camper is treating everybody to waffle house.

Vijin

Smash Ace
If all I have to do to beat you is push B, I am not sure that you are in the position to tell me I don't have skills.
Woooow, roasted! Haha!

I agree with Dguy. You guys can complain how it takes no skill, how it's cheap, or whatever. But that's why if you were to go into the competitive scene, you wouldn't get very far. An effective strategy at your disposal and you guys wouldn't use it because you think it's "cheap." It doesn't even make any sense not to use it. "Well, jee, I'm getting my butt kicked in this match right now, but if I started camping, I could maybe make a comeback.... but wait a minute, that's cheap! I guess I'd better just keep attacking him with laggy aerials and continue to get shield grabbed the rest of the match!"

And thats not true at all everyone looks down at camping except campers themselves.
Pfft, I hate camping. I played a pit in a tournament match who simply ran away and shot arrows at me. The guy was a real pain in the butt to beat. So I just turned around and camped him instead. After he was ahead in percentage, I literally just ran away until the time ran out, giving me the win.

Yeah, camping can be annoying. But I play to win.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
Pfft, I hate camping. I played a pit in a tournament match who simply ran away and shot arrows at me. The guy was a real pain in the butt to beat. So I just turned around and camped him instead. After he was ahead in percentage, I literally just ran away until the time ran out, giving me the win.

Yeah, camping can be annoying. But I play to win.
I have nothing against you Vijin and the camper deserved to get that but see thats what i was talking about everyone is going to end up camping in the end and the char. with the best camping ability is going to win. I haven't been camped on yet in a competitive seen and im glad i haven't, i'm just saying IMO i'm sorry if its not yours you can disagree with me or w.e but this is my opinion i personally think its cheap and i'm glad that people who enter tournys in my area don't resort to something like this

Doulhalt the Brave

Smash Cadet
I have to completely agree with Wolf FTW. Camping isn't any way to play this game, it just sucks the fun right out of it and ends up making people frustrated. If you need camping to win, you seriously deserve to lose. Playing a defensive game with dodging and looking for openings is totally different from running to a ledge and using a ranged move, rinse, and repeat. If you win using 1 button or 1 combo, there is something wrong there. You win Tetris or Tic-Tac-Toe with one move. I like to have fun, skilled matches. Not who can be the biggest D-bag and win.

"But, I play to win! That's all that matters. If you win you win, whatever it takes."
Yeah ok that's kinda overused at this point. No, if you wanted to do whatever it takes to win you would be punching your opponent or pausing the game at the worst possible moments. Maybe even unplugging controllers. Seriously, play respectfully and if you get outskilled TOO BAD! There is always someone out there who is better, if you can learn from past defeats and become stronger you are a skilled player. And yes, if everyone camped this game would be a really crappy game. I like matches between me and someone who knows how to play their character, and usually, win or lose, I have fun and I shake my opponent's virtual hand. If I met someone who camped, I would think they were D-bags with no respect of who they fight and I'd delete them from my Friend List. And as Wolf_FTW said, I too am glad the people where I live are smarter than that and we have some really fun matches together.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
If all I have to do to beat you is push B, I am not sure that you are in the position to tell me I don't have skills.
Well, there are 2 types of camping.

1. There are the ones who avoid you completely and do nothing but shoot lasers or whatever at you. The annoying kind. Like camp, run away, and camp again. Not only is this lame, its boring.

2. Then there is the skilled kind, where you are so accurate to the point where your opponent can't approach easily, and if they do, they get combo'd to death.
So: camp, wait for them to approach, combo.

What you are telling me is #1, so... I have every right to say you have no skills, even with camping.

BroeWolf

Smash Rookie
I have to completely agree with Wolf FTW. Camping isn't any way to play this game, it just sucks the fun right out of it and ends up making people frustrated. If you need camping to win, you seriously deserve to lose. Playing a defensive game with dodging and looking for openings is totally different from running to a ledge and using a ranged move, rinse, and repeat. If you win using 1 button or 1 combo, there is something wrong there. You win Tetris or Tic-Tac-Toe with one move. I like to have fun, skilled matches. Not who can be the biggest D-bag and win.

"But, I play to win! That's all that matters. If you win you win, whatever it takes."
Yeah ok that's kinda overused at this point. No, if you wanted to do whatever it takes to win you would be punching your opponent or pausing the game at the worst possible moments. Maybe even unplugging controllers. Seriously, play respectfully and if you get outskilled TOO BAD! There is always someone out there who is better, if you can learn from past defeats and become stronger you are a skilled player. And yes, if everyone camped this game would be a really crappy game. I like matches between me and someone who knows how to play their character, and usually, win or lose, I have fun and I shake my opponent's virtual hand. If I met someone who camped, I would think they were D-bags with no respect of who they fight and I'd delete them from my Friend List. And as Wolf_FTW said, I too am glad the people where I live are smarter than that and we have some really fun matches together.
I dislike campers as much as the next guy, but to call it an invalid strategy is wrong. It is just utilizing the skills of a player in simple way. And while it is annoying and a very low-level strategy, and while those who use the strategy may be d-bags, if you can't beat the strategy, deal with it.
Also it is completely within the rules unlike unhooking controllers or pausing at inopportune moments.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Well, there are 2 types of camping.

1. There are the ones who avoid you completely and do nothing but shoot lasers or whatever at you. The annoying kind. Like camp, run away, and camp again. Not only is this lame, its boring.

2. Then there is the skilled kind, where you are so accurate to the point where your opponent can't approach easily, and if they do, they get combo'd to death.
So: camp, wait for them to approach, combo.

What you are telling me is #1, so... I have every right to say you have no skills, even with camping.
I hope you are not serious. Nobody in the world loses to the #1 type of camper you have described unless they suck really bad. Anybody who complains about fighting against a #1 type of player sucks really bad. Anyone who can't deal with the #1 type of player sucks really bad.

Of course we are talking about intelligent camping, it is the only kind that is effective vs someone who is worth playing against. This is the type of camping I and everyone else here and in every other thread on the boards is talking about. The other type is not even worth mentioning because it doesn't work. Camping is simply a tactic used to win a match and is not something to be complaining about.

The kids who want fluff and fun times should probably go post on gamefaqs or brawl central. The object of the game is to win, period. I don't play it to make my opponent happy or feel good.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Man I just read all this and I just have to laugh at calling dguy a camper. He has one of the most aggressive-based styles I've played in Brawl. I think there was a misconception; he is putting more emphasis on doing what it takes to win not that he is all about camping.

To the OP: what you are describing works vs people who are new to playing vs Wolf. The two moves you listed are very efficient, repeatable moves. However, if this is all that is involved in your game then you won't find too much success. I say this because you become readable and there is no mystery as to what you are going to do. Once your patterns are revealed there is always a weakness, no matter how solid the pattern may seem.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
I hope you are not serious. Nobody in the world loses to the #1 type of camper you have described unless they suck really bad. Anybody who complains about fighting against a #1 type of player sucks really bad. Anyone who can't deal with the #1 type of player sucks really bad.

Of course we are talking about intelligent camping, it is the only kind that is effective vs someone who is worth playing against. This is the type of camping I and everyone else here and in every other thread on the boards is talking about. The other type is not even worth mentioning because it doesn't work. Camping is simply a tactic used to win a match and is not something to be complaining about.

The kids who want fluff and fun times should probably go post on gamefaqs or brawl central. The object of the game is to win, period. I don't play it to make my opponent happy or feel good.
I'm mostly pointing out to all the #1 people. Plus I was talking rhetorically, not to you personally. I don't usually camp, but if I do, its #2, only I attempt to do a good combo. :p

Don't diss Brawl Central, I'm a mod there, they have a lot of good/smart players on there as well as dumb ones (just like SWF does).

And I agree about winning. :) Especially if you are a tournament goer like myself and Buzz. We practice as if we were performing.

Vijin

Smash Ace
I have nothing against you Vijin and the camper deserved to get that but see thats what i was talking about everyone is going to end up camping in the end and the char. with the best camping ability is going to win. I haven't been camped on yet in a competitive seen and im glad i haven't, i'm just saying IMO i'm sorry if its not yours you can disagree with me or w.e but this is my opinion i personally think its cheap and i'm glad that people who enter tournys in my area don't resort to something like this
Actually in that same tournament, I discovered something through two other players, actually. It was a wolf vs a Dedede. The wolf was spamming a lot of lasers at first, forcing the Dedede tot ry and maneuver tog et inside to get a hit off, only to be swatted away by a forward smash,, and at first it was working. But soon after, the Dedede started doing something different that seemed to render the campy laser style useless: power shielding. Not only is it a lot easier to power shield in brawl, but when you do power shield, there is no shield stun, thus, allowing you to just steam roll right through the projectiles and get to your opponent. A campy-projectile style might be a lot easier to deal with when you can power shield.

Vijin

Smash Ace

There's a difference between using what the game gives you and doing things outside of the game, like punching the guy in the face or unplugging the controller. If you lose to someone who camps a lot, you don't have anyone to blame but yourself for not being able to pick up on a certain pattern that he is doing over and over again. You mentioned something about learning from past defeats and becoming stronger. If you're constantly losing to people to camp, then maybe you should take your own advice.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Sure lasers and FS are good moves and you should use them often, but camping isn't really effective. Wolf's laser and FS are better when you're playing aggressive and your opponent doesn't know when they're coming. Camping is just too predictable and better players will find ways around it.

AngryJimmy

Smash Cadet
If you can't beat someone who's camping using the same simple moves repeatedly then perhaps it is you who has no skill... can you not defeat someone who is so obviously predictable?

Besides - it's the professional campers with unlimited patience you really should be worrying about.

The thing is - although they may be camping they could most likely just as easily become agressive and beat you just the same; however, that's not what they prefer. Proffesional campers are generally people who just like low-risk situations - the type of people who don't play the lottery and never gamble. I like to deal as much damage while taking zero damage - the only way to really insure that is to only attack where you are least vulnerable.

Also - contrary to what most people state about camping - I don't think it's boring at all - in fact I think it's highly amusing. As for camper versus camper - it's pretty much the same as two aggressive players going at it - it's just at range. Two guys in a gun fight rather a knife fight.

EDIT: By the way - pissing your opponet off via camping is actually a very good thing as far as mind games are concerned - it's actually one the major advantages to successfully camping an aggressive player. When people get pissed their IQ drops by like 25% and they start making more mistakes, thus, getting punished even furhter - which further enrages them and then the cycle continues to down spiral to a 3-stock.

Gill

Smash Journeyman
The problem with Wolf is the range on his fsmash. If he didn't have that, he couldn't camp. With his fsmash its very difficult to get near him and actually hit him first. I play Ike, and characters like Wolf, Falco, and Pit give me total hell.

Ike has no options approaching a laser spamming Wolf, at least on wifi, which its very hard to powershield consistantly on due to the fluctuating lag. His fair, even correctly spaced will get you fsmashed, his nair will get you shieldgrabbed. Hell Ike is gonna be obsolete eventually anyway. *Shrug.*

Top Bottom