• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wobbling Compromise that I don't care about because we have new infinites

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Okay I have talked to some of you about a ruleset change that I put together, well I want to present it here having changed a variety of things since I last talked to most of you. The biggest thing is that it isn't quite a ruleset change per se. I encourage you to take this seriously, because the new wobbling thread has given us a real chance at making a change in TOing here.

THE GOAL: Perhaps find a compromise that IC players would agree to consistently that involved no low%-death wobbling that everyone finds so dreadful to watch. Please read and consider.

MY WOBBLING COMPROMISE IS THIS:

Wobbling is legal by default.

The NON-IC player can either choose to leave it on, or they can ask the IC player if they would initiate PEEF's wobbling compromise. If they agree, the following compromise is in effect:

1: The IC player may only use a semi-wobble of 5 tilts (lasts 2 or 3 seconds) before they must throw/do something else.

2: The NON-IC player may not counterpick any non-neutral stage other than Pokemon Stadium
(Unless the IC player agrees of course. This means the non-IC player may not CP Brinstar, KJ, or RC. The IC player still gets a stage ban.)

----------------------------

What the IC's lose: The ability to do a 0-death or low%-to-death wobble. The IC player must use only ESCAPEABLE, NON-INFINITE chaingrabs.

What the IC's gain: They may no longer be taken to a ******** stage to get timed out/projectile camped/whatever.

-----------------------------

What the NON-IC player loses: The ability to counterpick a wack stage like Brinstar or RC.

What the NON-IC player gains: The long-lasting, low% wobbles to death that are at the center of this controversy will be ILLEGAL.

------------------------------

What EVERYONE/THE SPECTATOR gains:

1) Spectators will not see long, boring wobbles deciding tourney matches.
2) Spectators will not see long, boring gay-stage timeouts centered around not getting wobbled in tourney matches.
3) This compromise encourages more creative, interesting, and fun-to-watch grab stuff from the ICs, and discourages campy boredom.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why I am posting this here:

Really, this is not a ruleset change. What it is is an agreement that could be initiated between two players, kindof like agreeing to play on Corneria even if it is banned. This does not tie ANYONE into an agreement they do not want to take. However, I want the agreement to be crafted in such a way so that IC mains would actually take it! I have talked to Wobbles, and he said that if this compromise was available, he would take it. I myself would take it in many circumstances that I can imagine because I really like doing flashy stuff. I also talked to many non-IC mains that said they would take it this compromise as well because they don't enjoy playing long campy matches on gay stages, but feel like they have to when wobbling is on.

So let me know what you think. Would you take this compromise? Both IC and non-IC mains are encouraged to answer.

Would consider taking the compromise:

PEEF
Wobbles
ICG

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I like this, I can use wobbling without being able to wobbleing to help me.

I wouldn't mind this. however 5 tilts to down-B to 5 more tilts ooooooooooooooooohhh. say tilts not f-tilt because some use d-tilt and someone may try that out and be a jerk.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind this. however 5 tilts to down-B to 5 more tilts ooooooooooooooooohhh. say tilts not f-tilt because some use d-tilt and someone may try that out and be a jerk.
5 tilts to down-B to 5 more tilts wouldnt work hahaha. And I said tilts not f-tilts. Get ur reading game down son!

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
So that amount of wobbling does roughly 45%, then you still have the option to go into a chainthrow and ... what ... straight back to wobbling? This doesn't seem well enough defined for the purpose you want to use it for. What's the defined limit on a wobble? Once a game? Once a stock? Once a grab?

And in the process of this compromise, the non-IC player loses the ability to exploit the IC's biggest weakness (Presuming they lost that first game- which I'm going to guess there was wobbling in). I dunno. It doesn't sound like it's going to decrease the drama at all ... mostly because it's obviously still biased towards the IC-player.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
He has a great point plus this would only be usefukl as puff/peach and they want their brinstar and junk. so really yeah this would be rare if they carefullt think this through.

maybe they can only wobble if their foe has a stock lead or more than one stock lead.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
He has a great point plus this would only be usefukl as puff/peach and they want their brinstar and junk. so really yeah this would be rare if they carefullt think this through.

maybe they can only wobble if their foe has a stock lead or more than one stock lead.

PEEF you edited shortly after you posted that hmmmmm I think you just want me to look dumb. which I am but why?

PEEF!

Smash Hero
PEEF you edited shortly after you posted that hmmmmm I think you just want me to look dumb. which I am but why?
First of all, my edit was me editing you into the "Support" list at the end. Click the link in my sig and look at the edit time if you want.

Rin1010, it is not IC biased. The base idea was from a non-IC player. The fact of the matter is that there is no low%-death wobbling. Dthrow dair is always escapeable, and it doesn't even "kindof work" vs most characters. The wobble limit is 5 tilts per grab, and it is not 45 damage, haha. If you think it is IC biased, then you can personally just not request it and allow full wobbling.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Um....this just seems like a player's choice kind of rule. It's like how a player can counterpick Flatzone or ignore Dave's Stupid Rule if his opponent agrees. I wouldn't support this as an actual rule because that's completely unncessary, but if people want to play sets like this that's fine.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
it is a players choice rule. the question is, does it have enough support to be regularly used? would you use it?

Vanitas

Smash Ace
I agree with Nintendude, it seems like a players choice more like a rule...though i doubt this rule will ever be official...but whatevs, not that an unpopular Canadian smasher like me matters, i like this so i support this :)

Nintendude

Smash Hero
it is a players choice rule. the question is, does it have enough support to be regularly used? would you use it?
Well, since this "rule" only applies if wobbling is unbanned, I wouldn't ever use it.

I really think it's pointless to bother formalizing this. You can make up any bogus rules you want and just label them as player's choice rules, because that's what they are.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
From the standpoint of a non-IC, why would I want to give up my ability to counterpick a stage like Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar? Those stages not only decrease the chance of being wobbled, but also of being grabbed at all. This compromise basically gives me the choice between poop and ****.

From the standpoint of an IC player, isn't this just a concession that wobbling is 'gay'? It compares wobbling being legal to camping really hard on unfair counterpick stages. On top of that, what's to stop the player from camping really hard on neutrals? This compromise first tries to define 'cheap' and then fails to ban it on either end.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Anyone who's smart about counterpicking can see that Brinstar/RC/KJ64 are pretty much guaranteed wins against Ice Climbers. Wobbling changes little on those imbalanced stages. This means that they have two chances on neutral stages to win the set. It seems logical to choose to allow wobbling over the compromise. The 5-tilt semi-wobble is pretty devastating, anyway. Why would someone willingly concede the ability to secure a free win via counterpicking?

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Rin1010, it is not IC biased. The base idea was from a non-IC player. The fact of the matter is that there is no low%-death wobbling. Dthrow dair is always escapeable, and it doesn't even "kindof work" vs most characters. The wobble limit is 5 tilts per grab, and it is not 45 damage, haha. If you think it is IC biased, then you can personally just not request it and allow full wobbling.
Well, I did just kind of poke a computer a couple of times to get the damage. When I actually wobble them, yeah it's much closer to the lower end of 30% =P

Still, it doesn't answer my big question. If you want to get this through and make it a full-fleged-rule (It's going to be one of the "____'s Stupid Rule" ones if anything), there probably needs to be some sort of time-frame. How often are the people allowed to do the five rotation wobble?

Though, yeah ... I can still see no condition where I would use this rule at the cost of counter-picks. It's meh to me.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Okay I have talked to some of you about a ruleset change that I put together, well I want to present it here having changed a variety of things since I last talked to most of you. The biggest thing is that it isn't quite a ruleset change per se. I encourage you to take this seriously, because the new wobbling thread has given us a real chance at making a change in TOing here.

THE GOAL: Perhaps find a compromise that IC players would agree to consistently that involved no low%-death wobbling that everyone finds so dreadful to watch. Please read and consider.

MY WOBBLING COMPROMISE IS THIS:

Wobbling is legal by default.

The NON-IC player can either choose to leave it on, or they can ask the IC player if they would initiate PEEF's wobbling compromise. If they agree, the following compromise is in effect:

1: The IC player may only use a semi-wobble of 5 tilts (lasts 2 or 3 seconds) before they must throw/do something else.

2: The NON-IC player may not counterpick any non-neutral stage other than Pokemon Stadium
(Unless the IC player agrees of course. This means the non-IC player may not CP Brinstar, KJ, or RC. The IC player still gets a stage ban.)

----------------------------

What the IC's lose: The ability to do a 0-death or low%-to-death wobble. The IC player must use only ESCAPEABLE, NON-INFINITE chaingrabs.

What the IC's gain: They may no longer be taken to a ******** stage to get timed out/projectile camped/whatever.

-----------------------------

What the NON-IC player loses: The ability to counterpick a wack stage like Brinstar or RC.

What the NON-IC player gains: The long-lasting, low% wobbles to death that are at the center of this controversy will be ILLEGAL.

------------------------------

What EVERYONE/THE SPECTATOR gains:

1) Spectators will not see long, boring wobbles deciding tourney matches.
2) Spectators will not see long, boring gay-stage timeouts centered around not getting wobbled in tourney matches.
3) This compromise encourages more creative, interesting, and fun-to-watch grab stuff from the ICs, and discourages campy boredom.

Why I am posting this here:

Really, this is not a ruleset change. What it is is an agreement that could be initiated between two players, kindof like agreeing to play on Corneria even if it is banned. This does not tie ANYONE into an agreement they do not want to take. However, I want the agreement to be crafted in such a way so that IC mains would actually take it! I have talked to Wobbles, and he said that if this compromise was available, he would take it. I myself would take it in many circumstances that I can imagine because I really like doing flashy stuff. I also talked to many non-IC mains that said they would take it this compromise as well because they don't enjoy playing long campy matches on gay stages, but feel like they have to when wobbling is on.

So let me know what you think. Would you take this compromise? Both IC and non-IC mains are encouraged to answer.

Would consider taking the compromise:

PEEF
Wobbles
ICG
I would anticipate that Peach mains and Fox mains would not want to initiate the PEEF!'s Compromise since they would be better off having the ability to CP Brinstar / Rainbow Cruise. Not only this, but Combo Food and GSG (tournaments held in Concord, CA) ban Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar in singles. If PEEF!'s Compromise would be in effect at these tournaments, then the IC Main would need another advantage other than not being CP at a disadvantaged stage. :095:

I want to hear Marth / Sheik mains' opinions on PEEF!'s Compromise. Wobbling should be legal regardless since Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise are legal stages unless you are playing at Combo Food or GSG. Even then at Combo Food or GSG where Brinstar / Rainbow Cruise are banned with Wobbling banned, I still think Wobbling should be legal without any restrictions. I'm a Peach main.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
*looks at topic*

and im pretty sure the "no combo into rest" compromise is going to follow shortly, then a "3 regrabs, f.tilt. f.air", and eventually a "platform -> no platform".

:laugh:

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
oh I see I thought you where going make a post like this

starting here

reasoning to why right/wrong

your logic

large text

the extreme what if your right

more carefully thought out logic

maybe inbetween grounds
______________________________ end of logic

something semi funny with a face

something like that I like some of your posts, very useful.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
ice climber players are going to be pissed when they dont wobble, lose both matches, then realize the other player never had to give anything up

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
this has nothing to do with who made it, but this is a terrible idea.

youre just going to do 5 tilts, dthrow dair, 5 more titles. its just going to make wobbling take longer.

and youre making the assumption that wobbling is legal, which is false, terrible assumption.

also compromise opens to doors to more compromises. ban it or legalize. no inbetween.

Binx

Smash Master
I think its a pretty silly idea as well, just make it legal or keep it banned, we deal with a lot of boring stuff from jiggs now anyways why not allow wobbling lol.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
It is unbanned. That is the base rule.

You guys are trying to make it seem like I am doing more than I really am. This is just a pre-packaged compromise. If you think it is stupid then obviously you wouldn't take it. Some people would take it, some wouldn't. It is just a compromise for people trying to avoid wobbling.

Many of you are missing the mark, though. When you say "on RC nobody will get wobbled so why would you agree". It is true that on RC you may not get wobbled, but the compromise would be put in place before the first game, which would mean that there would be no wobbling on that neutral as well.

If it is a dumb idea it is a dumb idea, but it can't hurt to be avaliable IMO.

Jayford

Smash Lord
I don't see the point of giving up good cp stages for an option like this. It's just dumb. Like Reneblade was saying you'll just get titlted 5 times then regrabbed. I've always been a supporter for keeping wobbeling legal I just don't see how this is a legit compromise. One player is giving up whole stage options for the benefit of being punished slightly less for being grabbed. The whole ICs match up is not to get grabbed. That can be accomplished by being patient and picking a smart counter pick stage. The compromise just screwes the non ICs player.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
this has nothing to do with who made it, but this is a terrible idea.

youre just going to do 5 tilts, dthrow dair, 5 more titles. its just going to make wobbling take longer.

and youre making the assumption that wobbling is legal, which is false, terrible assumption.

also compromise opens to doors to more compromises. ban it or legalize. no inbetween.
I don't like this at all, but your complaint doesn't make any sense. The point is that after the 5 tilts, he has to do something that's escapable before doing more tilts. Dthrow dair is escapable; if it wasn't why would we be arguing about wobbling?

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
In my (admittedly limited) experience, the dthrow chaingrab isn't so much 'escapable' as it is 'possible to **** with the IC's timing so it forces an error'. Provided you're not fox or someone with strange game physics, the dthrow is pretty **** lethal. Which is why wobbling doesn't really make much difference.

I'm also fairly confident an IC player could mix in a single dthrow every now and then without a huge risk to anyone escaping - whereupon they just continue wobbling under this 'compromise'.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
No, dthrow -> dair can be escaped with good DI.

edit: Wait, if you're talking about the actual dthrow CG, then yeah, some characters can't get out of it.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
No, dthrow dair is literally escapeable. SDI sets you free. It is totally possible, and I have played several people that made my dthrow dairs worthless.

D

Deleted member

does the opponent win the set if they do 6 tilts instead of 5?

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
****. I need more IC's to practice against.
Every time I try to escape it, I just wind up behind the IC player. -_-

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Ahhh Rin. That's because I was reverse Dairing you, (assuming you were referring to our matches).

D

Deleted member

does the opponent win the set if they do 6 tilts instead of 5?

PEEF!

Smash Hero
any number over 5, they lose their stock. This is already a rule at any tournament that allows semi-wobbles, which is most.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
So how about if I'm ahead one stock and I land a grab on their last life, I just kill them then SD? That's cool? Or maybe just work them up to a nice sizable percentage where any kind of a nick will kill them, then I throw them so they live and then I SD and respawn to finish?

What if the guy complains but he miscounts? Whose word is against whose? Do I have to SD before we get a TO over there? And if I do but it wasn't right, do we reset the match?

Pengie

Smash Lord
SO the only penalty is that they must lose a stock? That means that Someone could just do it for longer into a kill and it would be effectively trading stocks.

lol wobbles beat me to it and better worded.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
So how about if I'm ahead one stock and I land a grab on their last life, I just kill them then SD? That's cool? Or maybe just work them up to a nice sizable percentage where any kind of a nick will kill them, then I throw them so they live and then I SD and respawn to finish?

What if the guy complains but he miscounts? Whose word is against whose? Do I have to SD before we get a TO over there? And if I do but it wasn't right, do we reset the match?
Why don't you go ahead and answer this yourself, because you do x-number of tilt semi-wobbles.

This whole dispute kind of thing is not easy to come up with. It's like saying "oh so if I was techchasing with Sheik and the guy really needed to hit the techchase so he paused and saw where my tech was going." What happens if nobody else was watching? Whose word against whose?

Similar things exist when wobbling is legal. A pause can totally fuuck up a wobble. Whose word against whose if they pause? What if they did it last stock etc.

You should know not to play theory-bros here, Wobbles.

Top Bottom