• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Winning it all only to be disrespected: Zero's deleted post

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
I found this on a smash facebook page I'm a part of. It highlights the arrogance and disrespect of some melee players from the last Apex and after being posted on Reddit was deleted by moderators. Sorry you will have to open it as an attachment as I'm posting from mobile and don't know how to embed it from facebook.

Attachments

Last edited:
I think the best thing to do to fix this issue is to have tournaments host multiple Smash games. The mere exposure to other games and players will lessen the (exaggerated) hate. Melee players will get used to seeing non-Melee games

Hosting multiple games under 1 roof would benefit Melee players in this. They'd be introducing their favorite game to other Smashers. It builds a better bridge for them to try Melee. Buying Melee disks is expensive. Learning how to homebrew is an extra hassle. Or a Smash4er/PMer could walk like 20 feet or whatever to the Melee side of the venue and check it out. New players can bring new talent

elmike

Smash Apprentice
On one hand, what they did was unacceptable, but i think there shouldnt be any sorf of penalty. Its like when in (almost) any sport, the fans attending yell something against one of the teams. Or when in a concert of many artists, people calls the name of the next group while the current group is playing. Its something that will happen, and there is nothing you can do about it unless different games are played in different rooms/venues. (Please note that i'm not saying that i support this attitude)

On the other hand, Zero seems to be a nice guy, but he shouldnt be expecting to win a tourney and get everybody happy. Specially since most of the people dont like Diddy winning because he is "overpowered" (it doesnt matter if he really is).
I'm 100% sure that Zero would had been more congratulated, and he would had gotten more respect if he had won the tournament with (for example) fox, or almost any character who wasnt diddy or sheik. (Again, this is shame because anyway he is a great player and i think he totally deserved winning apex)

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
I agree with Epsilon, as the games could be seen by everyone. Streamwise, what if they had separate streams for each game?

Last edited:

Heavy Gomez

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyGomer
I feel bad for what happened to Zero, he won and he deserved to win but holy **** everyone's looking at the melee community now like it's some kind of boogyman coming to destroy everyone who likes smash 4. All I'm seeing on twitter and other sites relating to apex now is just how everyone who plays melee is a ****lord why don't you want to watch my game that's radically different than the one you like **** you for liking melee.

I don't think anyone was against Zero winning, no one cared that he was playing smash 4, the reason everyone was pissed and started chanting melee was because people were watching vgbootcamp's melee stream or spectating it from apex's venue and there was a ton of hype right before top 8 started, especially since it was just confirmed that Mango v Leffen $1000 money match was going to happen.

Then smash 4 comes in right at that pivotal point for it's top 8. A lot of people didn't think it was going to take over the vgbootcamp stream, nor did they think that the matches in the loser's bracket leading up to top 8 would be ignored in favor of smash 4, nor did they think that smash 4 was going to end 3 hours late. It was an unfortunate circumstance.

Also the players taking forever between matches, everyone taking their sweet ass time in the handwarmers/button checks, and Dabuz being super defensive and scamming the timer (not saying he can't play that way, but it's really boring to watch him shield all day and eat projectiles.) were all really annoying for anyone watching that just wanted to continue watching melee. Seriously these factors ended up making the smash 4 top 8 take longer than the superbowl, like what the ****?

I don't think this is an issue with smash 4 and melee being hosted at the same tournament, I think this is an issue of trying to force the fanbases of two completely different games together. Let's face it, they may be in the same series but they are nowhere near the same game, and that's not a bad thing.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
The bad part is how vocal the hate is. We aren't trying to make the 2 communities become friends and hold hands. No. We are trying to have the melee fans who vocally express their disdain to pretty much cut it out. Had they been quiet, this whole embarrassing showing of the melee community wouldn't have happened. Its sad really, how a select vocal minority makes the entire melee community look bad.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
I feel bad for what happened to Zero, he won and he deserved to win but holy **** everyone's looking at the melee
community now like it's some kind of boogyman coming to destroy everyone who likes smash 4. All I'm seeing on twitter and other sites relating to apex now is just how everyone who plays melee is a ****lord why don't you want to watch my game that's radically different than the one you like **** you for liking melee.

I don't think anyone was against Zero winning, no one cared that he was playing smash 4, the reason everyone was pissed and started chanting melee was because people were watching vgbootcamp's melee stream or spectating it from apex's venue and there was a ton of hype right before top 8 started, especially since it was just confirmed that Mango v Leffen $1000 money match was going to happen.

Then smash 4 comes in right at that pivotal point for it's top 8. A lot of people didn't think it was going to take over the vgbootcamp stream, nor did they think that the matches in the loser's bracket leading up to top 8 would be ignored in favor of smash 4, nor did they think that smash 4 was going to end 3 hours late. It was an unfortunate circumstance.

Also the players taking forever between matches, everyone taking their sweet *** time in the handwarmers/button checks, and Dabuz being super defensive and scamming the timer (not saying he can't play that way, but it's really boring to watch him shield all day and eat projectiles.) were all really annoying for anyone watching that just wanted to continue watching melee. Seriously these factors ended up making the smash 4 top 8 take longer than the superbowl, like what the ****?

I don't think this is an issue with smash 4 and melee being hosted at the same tournament, I think this is an issue of trying to force the fanbases of two completely different games together. Let's face it, they may be in the same series but they are nowhere near the same game, and that's not a bad thing.
Agreed about DaBuzz, very boring to watch play

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I know there are lots of people new to the boards (like I'm one to talk; been here for only 3/4 of a year), so I would just like to bring this article back up. If you haven't read it already, now's your chance. It was initially directed towards Sm4sh around its release, but it is a good article on how to recognize each community's problems and hopefully help mend the fabric of the community that is still being torn apart by certain members.

http://www.meleeitonme.com/on-the-future-and-the-repeat-of-history/

Acryte

Smash Ace
Its sad really, how a select vocal minority makes the entire melee community look bad.
We've always had vocal minorities that make ANY game look bad, take a look at stream chat at ANY event. It just happened to make it's way to the audience.

Obviously it's in bad taste, poor sportsmanship, and looks childish, but like Heavy Gomez said, it was the product of multiple factors together not necessarily just plain old sm4sh hate and some communal rift. Also, judging Melee based off a crowd chant would be like judging the entire melee or smash community if AZ started a suck that d**k chant, or if you judged the entire community based off stream monster responses... like JEEZ GUYS WE GOTTA STOP THE HATE, THE STREAM WAS FULL OF IMPATIENT JERKS WHO TALK **** ON OUR GAME. It's a shame that it ruined Zero's moment and that's not right. At the end of the day though, haters gonna hate. Keep playing and do what you do homie. You think Hbox decided not to play puff anymore just because other people gave him **** or the community started talking smack about how lame puff is? Nope.

Local melee fans might boo wobbling, or timeouts or some chaingrab against a low tier, or shino stalling or camping etc... it really just depends on what it is but honestly, in those instances it's just viewed as some jerks, however whenever it crosses game platforms it becomes a direct attack on the other game instead of a few jerks with differences who are acting like babies.

Last edited:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
On the other hand, Zero seems to be a nice guy, but he shouldnt be expecting to win a tourney and get everybody happy. Specially since most of the people dont like Diddy winning because he is "overpowered" (it doesnt matter if he really is).
I'm 100% sure that Zero would had been more congratulated, and he would had gotten more respect if he had won the tournament with (for example) fox, or almost any character who wasnt diddy or sheik. (Again, this is shame because anyway he is a great player and i think he totally deserved winning apex)
But then again in Melee, people are completely fine with characters like Fox winning :/.

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
But then again in Melee, people are completely fine with characters like Fox winning :/.
Fox also has a VERY high skill gap that takes a long time to master and perfect, Diddy, while still not being straight easy mode does take less time to become proficient with. This is in part the Sm4sh's engine and having less movement options and what not. Personally I think that while Fox is the best character he is still a fast paced exciting character to watch and thus isn't as easy to bash and complain about.

Edit: I thought I should add that I do mainly play smash 4 (Can't get my hands on Melee sadly), I feel it is a fun game to play but isn't as fun to watch.

Last edited:

Snowbird

Smash Cadet
He wins thousands of dollars being better at an noncompetitive game and then complains when people are really bored of watching it and want it to be over so they can watch something more entertaining? Why don't you look at it neutrally. If the game was competitively fun like everyone wanted it to be, if it was fun to watch like everyone wanted it to be, we would agree with you. But give us a break, its not fun to watch in competition for a HOST of reasons. I mean I like sm4sh as much as the next person, you know, with items on and in FFA, but it really is not competitively fun to play or watch, no matter how large of posts you make about it.

Btw, I was not complaining or creating any "hate" during the events and I tried to find enjoyment in sm4sh top 8. There wasn't a lot of enjoyment to be had, however, as it was slow, defensive, uneventful, "seemingly" lowish skillcap (hell idk, but it really looks and feels that way).

Last edited:
Top Bottom