• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Will you recommend a beginner to use a GC controller instead of Wii U Pro controller?

marcrom

Smash Rookie
I know that most of the people who prefer gc controller as their main controller are the people who have been playing smash for years. However, will the use of gc controller benefit me (a beginner)? Will it be better than the Wii U pro controller assuming that: 1. I am not used to any controller button layout, and 2. don't mind the input lags?

Also, the c-stick for me is better on the game cube controller, but it is far from the jump button (X and Y) on the gc controller

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
I have always played with the gc controller. But I'm thinking about switching to the Pro controller, because I've been playing a lot SSB on my 3DS lately. And I am playing way better with those controls, they feel a little bit smoother.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I would never recommend someone to play with an outdated controller which requires an expensive adapter, over playing Smash with a better and modern controller, which doesn't require an expensive adapter. So if you aren't overly attached to a GC controller, go with the Wii U Pro Controller instead.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I would never recommend someone to play with an outdated controller which requires an expensive adapter, over playing Smash with a better and modern controller, which doesn't require an expensive adapter. So if you aren't overly attached to a GC controller, go with the Wii U Pro Controller instead.
I respect your preference but what? GC controller is not even outdated for Smash Bros.

"overly attached"
Geez, dude, generalizing much? Your post comes across as a bit elitist, which is no different than people belittling others for not using the GC controller.

Anyways OP, I find the Gamecube very comfortable for me, especially the wavebird. I feel I'm able to hit the c-stick quick right before having my thumbs going back to my A/B buttons. I'm also a big fan of the button shapes (with the A button which I commonly use being big), so it felt like a very ideal Smash controller for me. Unfortunately the adapter's price inflated due to price gorging jerks on amazon and ebay. Hopefully they'll restock the adapter.

I feel the GamePad is also pretty comfortable, even though I find it a bit slower as a 2nd stick user (due to its position compared to the buttons). But other than that, it's a great controller. A nice way to relax and play it while laying down. It's almost like playing it on a handheld with a very console-like controller!

I have yet to use the Wii U Pro Controller for it since I don't own one, but I'd imagine it probably being more comfortable than the GamePad due to its more traditional shape.

But everyone is different with how they play, so naturally people may find other controllers comfortable and faster/better. So it's best to experiment with other controllers; go with whichever feels most comfortable to you! There's about 6 options: Wiimote (sideways), Wiimote w/ nun chuck, Classic Controller (Pro), Gamecube, Pro Controller and GamePad. There is no wrong answer, just find the best controller for you!

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
For a beginner, I don't think it'll make much a difference. Go with whatever you're more comfortable with.

Unless you are planning to go competitive later on, the pro controller is fine too.

Naoshi

For a beginner, I don't think it'll make much a difference. Go with whatever you're more comfortable with.

Unless you are planning to go competitive later on, the pro controller is fine too.
Yep!

If you're playing just casually, I think any controller should be fine as long as it's comfortable to you. Smash Bros is a very accessible fighter which helps!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There's no need for a beginner to fork out for a GC adapter if they already have other controllers.

However, if you have GC controllers and can find the GC Adapter bundle at it's regular price, I would actually get it. Because it gives you extra controllers, and means you can cover a larger group of people.

I'm getting the GC controller adapter bundle not only because it's my preference, but because it means I can easily fill up an 8 player group without having to go out of my way for more controllers. I have 3 GC controllers, then I get another with the adpater bundle. Then I have the GamePad and my Pro Controller. And then whoever is left can choose between Wii Remotes (and I have a Classic controller and Nunchucks if people want to use them with them), or my 3DS and my brother's 3DS XL.

marcrom

Smash Rookie
I would love to know the difference between the two controllers in terms of how they are specifically better in-game. For example, this controller is better because of the button layout, ergonomics, comfort, and so on. My last deciding factor is price. I appreciated all your inputs! I guess, I need some more defining differences between the two :).

Also, I might get into competitions (hopefully) in the future!

Naoshi

I would love to know the difference between the two controllers in terms of how they are specifically better in-game. For example, this controller is better because of the button layout, ergonomics, comfort, and so on. My last deciding factor is price. I appreciated all your inputs! I guess, I need some more defining differences between the two :).

Also, I might get into competitions (hopefully) in the future!
Sounds like the GC might be best suited for you then.

Unfortunately, the price of the adapter is inflated at the moment, going to as high as even 100 dollars. When they get restocked by Nintendo and retailers, it'll drop back down to 20. Assuming you already own a GC controller, price won't be an issue once the adapter is restocked. (as long as the demand is met plenty enough)

Pro Controller might be good for you too. I've tried one (but never tried it on Smash) and is it a very comfortable controller. So that one is a pretty good idea too. They go for 50 dollars new if you don't mind paying that much.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I personally think the diamond button layout on the Wii U Pro is better than the GC controller's button layout (makes shorthop specials and aerials equally easy to do), and having analogue triggers (like the GCC) for a game like Sm4sh is unintuitive and hindering if not just bad. If you're happy with the control stick layout, use the Wii U Pro.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyone know if adaptors are region locked? They're just about to go on sale in the UK so it may be cheeper to get one of those w// shipping than Ebay's stupid prices.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm not certain but I think that the adaptors will work like any other USB attachment or controller in terms of region.

As for controller choice, you have no prior bias so I'd generally recommend going for the controller that is most modern and most likely to be similar to future designs. The issue here, however, is that said controller comes with all the issues of being wireless.
I've never liked the connection issues and battery reliance that this brings and had nothing but trouble with my wii, 360 and PS3 controllers so this could just be a personal problem but I would say that it is reason to go for gamecube pads over the pro.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Try out all of the available controllers that you have, and see which one is more comfortable for you to use. That's how I did it for my nephew. Put all available controllers I have for the Wii U in front of him, "try each one out, and see which one you are more comfortable with."

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
there is a reason why most smash players prefer the Gamecube controller. personally, it is the most comfortable controller ever created for a console. the large main button surrounded by the complimentary, the way the analog sticks are positioned and the overall asymmetry just feels so organic to the touch. personally, the only thing it needs is another Z button, so it can have the L and R triggers along with the new ZL and ZR buttons. the wire is also a plus, due to all the technical problems the wireless controllers get. (you have no idea how much I hate it when my wiimote+classic controller just ends up eating an input or two due to wireless errors)

that said, I'm not against the others. I've used the wiimote sideways, the nunchuck, the classic, and the 3DS. (i'm a nice guy and share my gamecube controllers for those who want to use it but don't have one, even if it means that I won't get one.) my problem with all these are the default button programs. I've had to switch buttons around for all these options except the sideways wiimote and the gamecube. I like the fact that your custom layout is saved when you use the 3DS as a WiiU controller, but if you make a name, the buttons will be switched to the default, which is a huge bummer for me.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
It really is just a matter of preference. The GCN controller is possibly my favorite controller of all time, but I really have no problems with the pro controller at all. With the adapter being so hard to come by right now and only working with Smash at least for the time being, you really are probably better off going with the pro controller imo.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Is there anything wrong with using a Pro Controller at a tournament if you use a USB cable to plug it in?
The signal will still be wireless, I think.

That's only a problem depending on how the environment of the tournament is, but it would probably get problematic at bigger ones that are open to all kinds of signals.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997

Random question, are the Pro Controllers going to be tournament legal? Kinda iffy if wireless interference will be a thing. I've been getting used to the Pro Controller since the adapters are all sold out so yeah.

Edit: I should've read the whole thread first.
The signal will still be wireless, I think.

That's only a problem depending on how the environment of the tournament is, but it would probably get problematic at bigger ones that are open to all kinds of signals.
Well darn.

Last edited:

Stilll Alive

Smash Cadet
The gc controller is like the 360 controller it's timeless it's one of the best designs ever

Last edited:

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
Well you should pick the one you're the most comfortable with. If you like the playing with the GC controller, then you should pick that, and vice versa. But I recommend the gamecube controller.

D

Deleted member 245254

People are always parroting that signal interference is a huge issue, but really there's little to no documented proof that using a Wii Remote-based control or Wii U Pro has any sort of negative affect on a tournament environment or vice versa. Also, hello, this is blue tooth technology, not infrared or a glorified walkie talkie or something else utterly anachronistic. Pairing takes an extra few seconds but aside from that there's really no issue with using wireless controls.

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
The issue I've seen is more that wireless controllers can easily start up (just hit any button) and then connect to whatever system paired with them last, which can make setting up p1 and p2 controllers difficult ("I'm plugged in, my opponent is plugged in, why can't I select my character?!"). It's probably not as big of a deal for SSB as for any other fighting game, as those additional controllers will probably just occupy p3-p8 slots, but it might still be an issue.

Last edited:

Stilll Alive

Smash Cadet
People are always parroting that signal interference is a huge issue, but really there's little to no documented proof that using a Wii Remote-based control or Wii U Pro has any sort of negative affect on a tournament environment or vice versa. Also, hello, this is blue tooth technology, not infrared or a glorified walkie talkie or something else utterly anachronistic. Pairing takes an extra few seconds but aside from that there's really no issue with using wireless controls.
If you went to a major tournament and everyone had wireless controllers u would absolutely have issues

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

If you went to a major tournament and everyone had wireless controllers u would absolutely have issues
Do you have proof of this?

I'm actually not being snobby, I truly am curious if you have any actual documented proof that wireless controllers have caused major issues at Smash tournaments.

Stilll Alive

Smash Cadet
Do you have proof of this?

I'm actually not being snobby, I truly am curious if you have any actual documented proof that wireless controllers have caused major issues at Smash tournaments.
It runs on channels similar to wifi, if you connect to a wifi network in the same area where 40-50 other network signals are, your speed suffers.

Truthfully to answer you we wouldn't have proof unless you got 50 controllers and tried it because I don't know the quality of the transmitter in them, but consider that this is nintendo hardware lol

Last edited:

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
So if you aren't overly attached to a GC controller, go with the Wii U Pro Controller instead.
ie. Only overly attachted Gamecube fanboys who can't move on and/or adapt prefer the Gamcube controller.

lol Get out of here with your generalizing trash.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Pick whatever your comfortable with and what you can afford at the time. I like the gamecube controller but you may not like that so pick whatever you like.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I used to play Brawl on the Wii-Mote before I was actually *into* Smash Bros, it was the most comfortable for me and the most fun. I was a bloody casual then. It's like pad players vs. Stick players vs. Hit Box players in other Fighters. Just use what you think will be best for your style, and comfort.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Well, this is the hard part.

Some people are comfortable with the GC Controller, while some aren't
Some people are comfortable with the Pro Controller, while some aren't.
WHILE ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE OKAY WITH BOTH.
Buy any of them.

though i suggest you buy the pro controller since it's cheaper and it's really comfortable and simple to use.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
Never used a Pro Controller myself, but the button layout is like the Classic, yes?
I never really cared either way about button layouts while playing Project M (or even Melee, thank you Devolution) - both GCN and Classic were good. The kicker here sits in the quality of the Pro's analog sticks. The Classic's are kind of loose compared to GCN, and less comfortable for Smash Bros. Fine in Mario Kart 64/DD/Wii (still need a Wii U) - but if the Pros are the same, I'd recommend the GCN pad.

As for interference, my experience is basically what Zipzo is saying. I can toss around Bluetooth on my phone, my computer, and all kinds of things along with a lot of wi-fi. Only interference is in pairing, which isn't a signal issue so much as a driver one. So get whatever one you like, and don't go out of your way to buy an adapter unless you are already a GCN junkie like most of us are. EDIT: Maybe tourneys are different when everyone and their dog has BT controllers, but where's the proof that they actually are?

And off-topic, I <3 the original Classic Controller because of analog triggers. Useless without homebrew. With it? Hello, Super Mario Sunshine, Gamepad edition!

Last edited:

Ghork

Smash Rookie
As a player yet without an adapter I'd much rather play with a GC controller. With controller schemes I can make the pro controller decent to play with but what really bothers me are the sticks.
The left stick because it doesn't have any notches which for example can lead to using a side-b attack instead of up-a (or vice versa).
The Right stick bothers me because I accidentally touch it sometimes and it feels a bit too big to be used as fast as I could use the c-stick of the GC controller. Then again I've played with GC controllers for years so maybe not relevant.

One thing I will say that I prefer about the pro controller though is the D-Pad. It stinks on the GC controller which is a bummer for platform games where analog stick isn't a good option.

Loken

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6858-0816-0777
They are both fine. I'd even go so far as to say the C-stick placement on the pro controller is arguably more comfortable for quick use than it is on the GC Controller (at least for me). I'd say either use whichever one is easiest for you to get hold of or if you have both just find which one feels more comfortable to you. I personally favor the GameCube one because the shape of the hand grips just feels much better in my hands than the Xbox shaped pro controller.

Stilll Alive

Smash Cadet
This is a pretty dumb thread here tho, this is like the countless threads on event hubs and Shoryuken talking about fightstick preferences lol

Qbopper

Smash Rookie
If you have both available just ignore everyone else and go for what you prefer, but keep in mind that if you do want to go to tourneys and the like you MAY have slight problems with syncing the Pro controller (doubtful unless someone else is doing it at the same time as you)

Nache

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2277-7668-3861
I was playing with the GC controller for a while, started playing with the WiiU pro when Smash for Wii U came out, then moved back to the GC controller when I got the adapter, and after a night of using the GC controller, I went back to the Wii U pro, Mainly cause I found the second analog to be in a much more comfortable position for me than the C stick. I guess it's a matter of what you're more comfortable with.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
I loved the GC controller and always preferred it but I use the Wii U Pro Controller now. Reason is I play competitive Gears on the 360 and the Pro is similar to the Xbox controller. I also like the scheme on the 3DS version so I can transition seamlessly.

Khao

Smash Lord
Just use whatever you feel comfortable with.

Neither option is inherently superior than the other, if you like one better, go for it.

Top Bottom