• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the Tier List affect your main?

Pose

Smash Apprentice
I bet a lot of people would drop MK if there was a trick to beat him every time and he went way down on the tier. :p

Individuality ftw.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I've always liked my characters, but when Brawl first came out, I didn't like the new Marth and Falco.

I was playing Falco before I knew his tier position, and I switched from Marth to Roy when I heard Marth was better.
I discovered he was very easy to learn, and I stuck with him.
Ness was rough back then, and I didn't use him much.
I still like him.

So yeah, I don't care about tiers, so wherever Ike, Ness, and Fox appear, I'm sticking with them because they fit my style.
Same goes for Marth, Falco, and Wolf, but I already know they're great.
I still liked them before I saw tourney placings.

AlbinoMonk

Smash Cadet
Quite honestly it will a little. I play a few characters that are wildly different and I'm not that good with some of them. Once there's a general consensus of which characters are just awful and which are pure awesome I'll probably switch from being 33/33/33 with my characters to like 60/20/20 or something.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
I'm seeing more and more threads like this one, and I'm beginning to realize that people don't really care about what tier thier character is in, they really care about how good of a player THEY are. Poeple need to realize that maining a high tier character is not going to automatically make them win. One needs real skill to perform at Smash bros. Tiers affect only the tournytards which is like 2% of the smash community. Other than that Tiers are only something that players look at and say "I didn't know that X character was there..." To me, there is no playable crap character. SANDBAG is a crap character. He doesn't do any knockback let alone have moves...

Basically, if you let tiers decide your main, you are probably desparate to win and that makes you weak. So to anyone reading this that follows tiers faithfully I say;

Omis

my friends were skinny
Well said. And I think tier followers wouldn't have the guts to speak their minds here, anyway.
Fine then I will be the first.
I will let the tier list effect my secondary. I already have without knowing it considering I secondary Meta. However no matter what I think I will always main DDD.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Nope, and my main (Marth) will be high tier at least, and my secondary (Olimar) will probably be high mid, but I'd stick with them if they were bottom (Marth at least).

Rhykune

Smash Cadet
No, but only because I only do offline tournaments with nothing on the line, and I play for fun.

If I were to play for money, I'd use the best character in the game no matter if I liked playing as him or anything.

Blacksharkey

Smash Rookie
A little bit, i'm more likely to try out high tiers than characters like R.O.B. but it doesn't really affect my main...

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
I pick my main b/c I actually like the character and their playstyle. Therefore, the tiers have no bearing on my main so I wouldn't change. The tiers constantly shift anyway, to keep changing your main isn't always the best idea. Chances are many people by this time have enough training w/ a certain character that it isn't worth changing. But of course some individuals will, though IMO selecting a character just for the tier is kinda lame =/.

^^♥ Exactly how i feel on this subject matter. And I can see that many people see it the same way.;)

mutalisk332

Smash Rookie
Well, I chose my main (kirby) before I had seen the tier list because I liked the character and his playstyle. And when the tournament results came out, I was pleased to see that he was mid-high on the list. However, had Kirby had been in the lower tiers however, I probably would have looked into a different main and made kirby one of my secondaries. Simply put, I like winning, and while kirby has a special place in my heart, he's not the only character I enjoy playing with.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
I'm very glad to hear that not many Smashers will be changing their mains based on the Tier List. Kudos to you all.

For those of you who will, I do not look down upon you, but I do encourage you to stick with your main, even if he/she becomes a secondary.

Luigi player

Smash Master
It already effects me.

First I wanted to main Luigi, Diddy Kong and Sonic. With Sonic as my main main. DK as secondary, and maybe some others.

But I played very much and I have to say... with Sonic and Luigi it's SO hard to win if I'm having an opponent that's not bad. It's so ****ing much easier with Diddy, and that's probably because he's just better.

So... now Sonic isn't my main, and Luigi isn't too.

Diddy is my main, and DK and Ness my secondaries. Because those are my best characters ^^ (but I like all of them, so I'm not ONLY going for the top tiers or something, I wouldn't main a character I don't like)

Dahlaine

Smash Cadet
aren't the tiers really just based off of the players that play whichever character? If many of the good players suddenly start using luigi and kick ***. We'll all be like, huh Luigi actually rocks, he's soooo top tier.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
No, tiers are based on the mechanical matchup between each character (imagine pitting a Level 20 Meta Knight against the rest of the cast, one at a time. Meta Knight would win most). At least, I think that's how it works.

Chaos F-15

Smash Apprentice
HELL NO! If one of my mains (I play a lot of characters) get low on the Tier List, I wouldn't change. I play characters that matches my style.

Switch FC
SW 1721 4573 3132
My mains are all lightweight, so I get KOd easily by cheap smash spammers = mainly Ike. [but it's easy to CG] ;)

Top Bottom