• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the Melee Continue?

Sliq

Smash Master
Cry moar.

It's a game, not a profession kid, learn it.

I understand you guys who play competitive, banning items and certain stages, and that's fine.

You however, are pretty stupid for flaming people who play it for fun. It's a game, play it however you want.
This is like the only time I have ever sided with a casual on anything. I feel dirty.

Tanzz

Smash Cadet
As long as Brawl isn't broken, and is at least half as good as melee was, I will definitely be switching to brawl almost exclusively. But there will always be those times where we bust out the Melee for old time's sake. (just as we do now with SSB64.)

Melee is just too great of a game for us to let it die with the release of Brawl.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Actually I play competitive too, but I just didn't like how he/she was flaming people who do play casual.

You shouldn't feel dirty xD.

bigman40

Smash Master
This is all personal preference. People who love melee will remain to play melee, but they will play brawl too. No one truly has a complete feel on what brawl has in store for us. Sure, it may bring in a wider audience, but think about it. People will learn the (what I call) glitches in brawl to get a better chance at winning. Brawl won't be immediately starting their tournament series when it comes out. The game will slowly move into tournament gameplay when people have gotten a feel for it.
P.S. Whoever said that players are moving back to Halo 2, explain why. I have a friend who done MLG tournaments and good too, and with the changes bungie is making to Halo 3, it's becoming competitive again.

kayesel30

Smash Rookie
if i get tired of brawl, which might not happen until months and months after it comes out, ill whip out the cube and melee.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Cry moar.

It's a game, not a profession kid, learn it.

I understand you guys who play competitive, banning items and certain stages, and that's fine.

You however, are pretty stupid for flaming people who play it for fun. It's a game, play it however you want.
YOU were the one who criticized me first, so stfu. also get off smashboards if you dont play competitively.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
YOU were the one who criticized me first, so stfu. also get off smashboards if you dont play competitively.
You seem angry.

1. You criticized every person who doesn't play by your rules in your post, as I have stated before, I can play competitive, but I also enjoy playing casual from time to time in your first post you badmouth anyone who doesn't play by your rules. You lose on that one.

2. The second part of your most recent post pretty much proves my point. You lose again.

Your (I'm guessing based off what I have seen from you) pre-teen anger makes me giggle. :laugh:

Don't worry, be happy.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
You seem angry.

1. You criticized every person who doesn't play by your rules in your post, as I have stated before, I can play competitive, but I also enjoy playing casual from time to time in your first post you badmouth anyone who doesn't play by your rules. You lose on that one.

2. The second part of your most recent post pretty much proves my point. You lose again.

Your (I'm guessing based off what I have seen from you) pre-teen anger makes me giggle. :laugh:

Don't worry, be happy.
ah, the ignorance of youth. grow some balls before making such brash statements. where to begin? ah, first of all i was not criticizing everyone who doesn't play by MLG (not mine) rules, i was criticizing the makers of smash for dropping competitive value in brawl to appeal to a younger audience. interpret posts correctly before insulting them. secondly, i had only read your first post when i responded. i did not see your "i also play on a competitive level" until later.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Melee is only competitive because we made it that way. It, just like Brawl, did not start out that way. Melee was meant for whatever audience wanted to play it. Competitive play wasn't something they thought of while making the game. Just like Melee we will take Brawl to its highest level and play it competitively. It is by no means less competitive we just haven't gotten to pick it apart yet.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
People who stop playing Melee either have no one to play it with, or ALWAYS go with the latest trend. I continue playing both smashes, and I ALWAYS will do such things. I'll play all three, as I'm what I call a true smasher, not to sound elitist or anything. I just play, enjoy, and ave fun with both smashes, and soon all three. O, and once we get SSBM on ROMs and Kaillera...ya. We'll see a revival.

MAY THE WAVEDASH BE WITH YOU! :)

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Brawl looks to be targeted more towards idiot kids messing around with items and not playing the game seriously That's my greatest fear, anway.
This is taken from your first post, and these are your exact words and thoughts, if you wanted it to look like it was you criticizing the makers of Brawl, you didn't do it correctly. You are calling anybody who doesn't, "Play the game seriously" idiot kids messing around with items.

ah, the ignorance of youth. grow some balls before making such brash statements. where to begin? ah, first of all i was not criticizing everyone who doesn't play by MLG (not mine) rules, i was criticizing the makers of smash for dropping competitive value in brawl to appeal to a younger audience. interpret posts correctly before insulting them. secondly, i had only read your first post when i responded. i did not see your "i also play on a competitive level" until later.
Ah, reading helps you not look stupid when you reply.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Smashbro99 wins lol

Ill take Melee out time to time with freinds like 64, but Ill pretty much exclusively playing Brawl and trying to get good at it the most

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
You guys know there are going to be similar advanced techniques to brawl. Though they haven't anounced it, there is going to be some. For those who say its to slow just speed it up in the options. and just turn off items for those who don't like items. If you people keep up with smashdojo updates then you will know. Even some of the professionals tested out brawl and they loved it. With online for brawl there can be Brawl tournaments on this forum, and you can adjust the options to your liking. lol all you need is the 5000000 different friend codes to make that happen.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
This is taken from your first post, and these are your exact words and thoughts, if you wanted it to look like it was you criticizing the makers of Brawl, you didn't do it correctly. You are calling anybody who doesn't, "Play the game seriously" idiot kids messing around with items.

Ah, reading helps you not look stupid when you reply.
it sure does.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I doubt brawl's going to suck.

I only got good at Melee last year, I hate the thought of not getting better at a game, especially since I very easily could but the fact that most people will move on will prevent that. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely excited for brawl, it does suck for us who only got good so recently though.

Roman.

Smash Champion
I'd say that brawl will get competitive quickly but melee will stay big. Maybe in tourneys there will be brawl and melee ones, depends on how good brawl is really.

Falco7

Smash Cadet
Why compete in a tournament? That ruins the fun. Well, thats beside the point. You might still play melee when brawl comes out or you might not. The only reason i stuck with 2d sonic games is because the 3d ones suck. But thats just my opinion. Either way I would still think you'd come back to it.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
were all jjust scared that brawl wont surprass brawl by a hundred times. LOL I'm really wanting brawl to be tv not insane beat game ever and melee will still be played but chill jus wait till brawl actually comes out

Kips

Smash Ace
My theory- There will still be Brawl and a competitive level of play and there will still be Melee to play at Brawl tournaments as a seperate attraction. That way everyone is happy, everyone gets to play and everyone gets to deal out their fair share of *** whuppings.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Melee will fall to Brawl's background.
Thats just how its going to work.

I mean, how ISN'T the game going to be competitive?
Was melee made to be played how it is now? Clearly not, or else they wouldn't have taken, say, the ability to wave dash out? All it takes is 2 players, one better than the other, and the second player's drive to be better than the first, to forge a "competitive" nature.

Brawl has the interwebz, which will allow the smash community to be even more close knit, since getting out to new-smashers and finding some good ones to play against is a matter of exchanging a 12 digit code.

Are there flaws in Brawl? Yes.(Nothing is perfect. Look at Ike!)
Are there flaws in Melee? Hell Yes.(Look at how easy it is to divide up characters into a basic tier set! Balance issue much?)

In short, what I'm saying is that there is no argument concerning the competitive potential of Brawl, because competition is potential for all games. Brawl's competitive nature will be realized and played out in full, so just be patient and await it.

Besides, being good in Melee doesn't mean you have to start TOTALLY over in Brawl. You already have an insight at what to look for in characters, as well as good reflexes and instincts, which are far more important than half the things that brawl will be excluding from Melee.

Thats my piece.
-DD

PNaleek

Smash Journeyman
My theory- There will still be Brawl and a competitive level of play and there will still be Melee to play at Brawl tournaments as a seperate attraction. That way everyone is happy, everyone gets to play and everyone gets to deal out their fair share of *** whuppings.
That would be cool too...

Amon Amarth

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to sequals, one has to consider the budget of the game developer. It would seem that they have a bigger budget for things this time around. We can deffinatly expect alot more depth and immersion in the game than ever before. But will is seperate the "casual" from the "pro" like the prevous games did? We will have to see.

I'll always play melee competetivly, love it too much, same with 64. One thing i will miss though...spacing my self with samus's wavedash is just so much fun for me.

RikyuXz.~

Smash Apprentice
^^^
maybe there will be a technique in brawl that's even better than the wavedash! *hype

lol but anyway, most of my attention will be drawn away from brawl, but i will come back to melee eventually.. i always do.

Rodent23

Smash Cadet
It'll be like Mario Kart for me; I'll play it for different characters and stages, but probably more of Brawl than Melee.

S.R. XXVII

Smash Ace
I would continue this battle of wits with you, but you are obviously unarmed.

(If anyone knows the reference, good job)

Merry Christmas sir, I'm done in this topic.
Fresh Prince reference.

I know are 2 things when it comes to Smash and I.
1. Melee will be played
2. Brawl will be played.

Once I unlock Ridley(which I'm sure will be in there) I'll have a hard time going back to Melee for a while.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
I'll have a balance between both more than likely. Melee probably will have faster gameplay than Brawl due to a lot of the stuff being removed, such as wavedashing and the like, but Brawl will have many more features. I'm sure people will play both still.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be suprised if ALOT of people stuck with Brawl and kind of forgot about Melee. 64 was so radically different from Melee that it warranted its own competitive field.

However, from what I've read and seen, Brawl doesn't immediately seem as big of a leap.

The Star King

Smash Hero
dont judge it before you even try. play it for half a year and if you dont like it then fine, quit, stop playing, whatever. I'm personally planning to play both and also the original super smash bros when it comes out on virtual console (suprised it hasn't yet).

zurf23

Smash Apprentice
Unlike Halo where even though they make a new one, you always go back to the first because it has a higher frame rate. Smash Brothers gets better. For the most part, I think that the majority will play brawl, but theres always a few of us that go back to the original every now and then, that's why a lot of us have an NES. Seriously. :)

thumbswayup

Smash Master
When it comes to sequals, one has to consider the budget of the game developer. It would seem that they have a bigger budget for things this time around. We can deffinatly expect alot more depth and immersion in the game than ever before.
A bigger budget doesn't necessarily mean a better game. They could use it all on graphics and items rather than focusing on gameplay and, as far as I'm concerned, gameplay should always be prioritized. I'd rather play a game with godawful graphics, but amazingly fun gameplay than a boring piece of **** with great graphics.

Top Bottom