• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Will the 3DS have a competitve scene ?

GreenPhysco

Smash Cadet
I know that the Wii U version will certainly have one but I am interested to hear the opinions of people to see if the 3DS version will be on par with Wii U as far has competitive has to offer.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
well, if they play exactly the same and have the same mechanics, the different stage list is guaranteed to give it at least SOME play.

Morbi

Scavenger
If Smash could become competitive; per se, a 3DS version of the game could become competitive. It isn't that much of a stretch.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I can't see any reason why it wouldn't. It'll be another smash game. There are loads of people out there with 3ds' that love playing games with other people. Hell when I thought about the idea of a midnight release the next thing to pop into my head was. If there's a bunch of us who just brought the game standing around together why not rig up a quick tournament right then and there using only the characters we have available to us.

Commander Claus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4382-1975-7034
I think it has the potential to. I'm curious as to how much that competitive scene would die down after the release of the Wii U version...

Morbi

Scavenger
I think it has the potential to. I'm curious as to how much that competitive scene would die down after the release of the Wii U version...
Probably a lot; an HD, no-lag version of the game that doesn't require your own console. I assume a controller is better for a fighting game than the 3DS. I mean, even the Gamepad is more competitive (IMO).

DoubleN

Smash Rookie
For the 3DS (and the WiiU for that matter) I have concerns about all that wireless connectivity especially at big tournaments. Maybe it won't be a problem but I can imagine lag and disconnections posing a major threat to a legitimate competitive scene. Might just be overly concerned but it's something to consider.

Morbi

Scavenger
For the 3DS (and the WiiU for that matter) I have concerns about all that wireless connectivity especially at big tournaments. Maybe it won't be a problem but I can imagine lag and disconnections posing a major threat to a legitimate competitive scene. Might just be overly concerned but it's something to consider.
Why would the Wii U have lag? I am confused.

DoubleN

Smash Rookie
Wireless controllers on the Wii U could have trouble connecting with a ton of other Wii U setups in close proximity. I should've been more clear but for Wii U controller connectivity could be problematic.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
Probably a lot; an HD, no-lag version of the game that doesn't require your own console. I assume a controller is better for a fighting game than the 3DS. I mean, even the Gamepad is more competitive (IMO).
Lag? The game is confirmed to run at 60 fps.

Morbi

Scavenger
Wireless controllers on the Wii U could have trouble connecting with a ton of other Wii U setups in close proximity. I should've been more clear but for Wii U controller connectivity could be problematic.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I don't know all of the controllers for the Wii U. I was assuming the set-up would be wired.

Lag? The game is confirmed to run at 60 fps.
The 3DS version, you have to play online to play with someone else as you can not share the controller. Once you purchase a 3DS, it is just that, a 3DS. It isn't a console that you can input to a television. It is basically a hand-held controller. To play, you would need to use a network which would result in lag. The frame-rate has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Of course it will have a competitive scene. But like others have stated, the Wii U one will simply overshadow it upon release.

IceyBeef

The Supreme Beef Lord
3DS FC
5069-4117-1821
Yes. I cant wait for all the 3DS Johns, "My Brightness was too low!" "My battery was dying", "The 3d was accidentally on".

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
I think 3ds will have it's own scene. Don't think wiiU will destroy or weaken it after release but probably there will be changes to it after wiiU release. Lag on 3ds might happen on online matches only. I remember playing some kid icarus torunaments and locals were quite fine with none to few lag experience. Street fighter 4 3D version same thing. Online had few to no lag as well but that depends on how good your internet provider is that particular moment. All in all i don't think 3ds lag will affect local tournaments and would only affect online ones.
WiiU controller lag (if wireless) will have the same lag most wireless controllers have. About higher lag/ connectivity problems due to the large numbers of wiiUs on the same room i can't foresee what will happen... Pro controllers are a much better option considering button configutarion. All in all it's just wonders and we'll only know for sure when game's out.

D

Deleted member 245254

I will play the shiiiiiiift key out of 3DS Smash before the Wii U version hits, and probably still after whenever I'm away from the Wii U.

The most interesting prospect to me is that of a normalized pad that everyone must use. There's one control scheme to this game, the face buttons of the 3DS, so everyone is kinda on the same playing field in that regard. This as opposed to Brawl and eventually Smash 4 which is also likely to support several methods of control.

Last edited by a moderator:

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
The most interesting prospect to me is that of a normalized pad that everyone must use. There's one control scheme to this game, the face buttons of the 3DS, so everyone is kinda on the same playing field in that regard. This as opposed to Brawl and eventually Smash 4 which is also likely to support several methods of control.
not entirely true.We may still be able to configure buttons on the 3ds (we don't know yet) which might open space to several methods of control on the same face buttons. (just like we can do on brawl)

D

Deleted member 245254

not entirely true.We may still be able to configure buttons on the 3ds (we don't know yet) which might open space to several methods of control on the same face buttons. (just like we can do on brawl)
Yes it is entirely true. Everyone will have to use a 3DS for their inputs.

What I said had nothing to do with control schemes edited in-game, it's the fact everyone uses the same controller.

Last edited by a moderator:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
As I've said before, there will be if I have anything to do with it!

With Swiss Tournaments being possible and the 3DS version being a great way to draw in new players it actually does have many strengths as a competitive game. The only true downside is the expense it costs to have a good looking stream which is tough but no impossible for someone dedicated. Plus there are cheaper watchable options as well that while not perfect still aren't "potato recording" quality.

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
I don't think so. From the looks of it, almost every stage revealed for 3DS looks like it will be banned in tournaments.
You do realize that there is a FD version of almost every stage, and not all of them will be banned

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I would say, for the most part, Wii-U will be the primary competitive version, but there will probably be small 3DS tournaments and whatnot.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I don't see why the 3DS version won't have a competitive scene aside from online lag issues if there are any and how severe it is. I have a 3DS and it actually has titles I want, the Wii U however has no titles I want aside from SSB4, I'd be reluctant to buy one for just one game so my competitive scene will take place mainly on the 3DS version.

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
SURE IT WILL!
HELL it's gonna have tournaments too!!
Once WiiU drops however, this will be mostly played on the go or if someone doesn't have the WiiU version to play with...

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
You do realize that there is a FD version of almost every stage, and not all of them will be banned
Well, an entire metagame based off of Battlefield, a **** load of Final Destinations, and possibly Arena Ferox seems kind of limited.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
All depends of the players' efforts, there is a competitive scene for gaming since the day that people started to use videogames to compete.

First off, the 3DS version needs to have a relevant install base, players must join a community and keep showing interest in playing deep the game. This is the 101 for EVERY SINGLE competitive game that exists in the world, this is how Melee maintaned its popularity for over 10 years.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
If that were the case, every fighter on the other consoles with wireless controllers would be suffering from these issues. And they really arent.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If that were the case, every fighter on the other consoles with wireless controllers would be suffering from these issues. And they really arent.
Most other systems support wired one way or another and wireless controllers aren't used much in fighting game tournaments because they have more lag, so wireless interference is usually a non-issue. But Pokemon tournaments don't get interference, but then again it doesn't need to be horribly precise.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Sakurai said for a fact that you can't turn off hazards without going full-on FD.

Why? "Because it'd be too much like Playstation All-Stars." :facepalm:
Dude you have no idea. Having the ability to turn them on and off made MORE problems. Tons of arguments about keeping them all on, on with some stages, it was horrible. I'd rather just have the arguments over which stages to use. Plus in PSAS they didn't even turn off all of the hazardous parts :/

Well, an entire metagame based off of Battlefield, a **** load of Final Destinations, and possibly Arena Ferox seems kind of limited.
There's a whole thread about an FD only ruleset going on right now. There are advantages as well as disadvantages to it, but it existing would not destroy the game by any means.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
This should be at every smash event leading up to the console release. Afterwards, I see it being used for side-events.

SpLSlick

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpLSlick
3DS FC
3540-1397-4329
I don't see how this won't have a competitive scene. It will hold everyone over until the console release at the very least. I'm sure it will still live long after the console release comes out. I wonder if there is going to be cross play between both version similar to how games like Blazblue and PSAS can play with their console counterpart. That would be pretty cool if you ask me :D

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
Sure, but it probably be mostly for online tournaments, especially if there are communities as a feature, but there probably won't be.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I know that there is a staggering number of people out there (myself and most of my friends included) who have a 3DS and are getting Smash 3D, but do not have a WiiU and will not be purchasing one just for Smash. It seems that the general consensus will be to play the 3DS version, and if a WiiU shows up on campus or something, play Smash WiiU when the chance arises.

In that light, it kinda seems like the two "scenes" will overlap more than people seem to be implying.

wafflini

Smash Apprentice
The question should be "Will everyone on smashboards use a 3ds to play?". If yes, then of course it woll have a competitive scene! All it needs to have one is a group of people dedicated to playing the game and getting better.

Top Bottom