• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

will smash die when brawl comes out?

nicaboy

Smash Champion
will i was having a general disscusion with some people and we were talking about smash brothers. someone had mention smash brothers will die. then a long heated disscussion abrupt. will i for one think smash brothers will still be around even when brawl come out because its a classic and so freakin awesome. although i've also been hearing rumors like they are trying to take advanced moves out like wavedasing and L-cancelling out. in the event that happens i think more people will play smash. although im still eager for brawl and it new online capilities which will be so cool i do wonder how brawl will turn out for competive play. and what of smash brothers? well what you guys think?

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
So do you mean people will stop liking it or what ,because people still love melee today so smash will never die i think.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Image what happened to the original SSB whenever melee come out. It'll probably be the same thing.

First of all.....

1. "Advanced Stuff"

I can't really think of anything that wasn't supposed to be in the game. Teching, DI, etc. was all programmed into the game. Can't imagine them taking it out.

2. "L-cancelling"

This was in the original game. IT was in melee. It will be in brawl.

3. "Wavedashing"

There is evidence supporting a new type of dashing technique. This may be replaced with something even if it is taken out.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
Do you mean the name and concept of Super Smash Bros., or do you mean Melee?
So do you mean people will stop liking it or what ,because people still love melee today so smash will never die i think.
Image what happened to the original SSB whenever melee come out. It'll probably be the same thing.

First of all.....

1. "Advanced Stuff"

I can't really think of anything that wasn't supposed to be in the game. Teching, DI, etc. was all programmed into the game. Can't imagine them taking it out.

2. "L-cancelling"

This was in the original game. IT was in melee. It will be in brawl.

3. "Wavedashing"

There is evidence supporting a new type of dashing technique. This may be replaced with something even if it is taken out.
1)i apologize i meant melee
2) i know people love melee i do my self but i meant will melee get less popular when brwal comes
3)like i said i heard rumors i too had doubted it for example i heard that snake will replace captain falcon but i also doubt that

Xanderous

Smash Lord
No ****, dude. Doesn't take a genius to assume that Brawl will be more popular than Melee.

Shiro Kageryu

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how you assume a game that is very colorful and attracts a lot of kids and other people to play will die out.

It's games like Street Fighter etc. that are dying out sir.

genosall

Smash Journeyman
in your computer waiting for when you get closer t
well if Brawl lives up to at least SOME expactation then melee will die but if brawl any good then who cares? i mean melee's great but brawl will probubly replace it. oh and thay'll most likely leave adv. techs. alone and thares NO WAY thay'll take out one of the origanal 12 much less Capt. Falcon. (and yes that means i think ness will return along with luigi)

Unsouled

Smash Rookie
3. "Wavedashing"

<--Is interested, got anymore info on this?

CartooN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CartoooN
This reminds me of that topic from a while back.
Counter-strike 1.6 and source.
As who ever made that topic said, much like when source came out, many people belived things were lost from 1.6. Some loved source and the new advancements.
To this day, there is still a vast number of people playing both games.
The same will probibly go for melee and brawl.

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
new better version > older version (usually). sequal syndrom aside, sometimes people just wont let go. sometimes series are ruined by sequals though.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
new better version > older version (usually). sequal syndrom aside, sometimes people just wont let go. sometimes series are ruined by sequals though.
You're remembering that Melee is a sequel, right? If they did it right the first time, they should do it right the second time, thus putting the effect of your first idea into use.

Mari0sPooPoo

Smash Journeyman
idk why but for some reason whean he says smash he means melee. :psycho:

and unsouled, on the first vid you can see mario wavedashing or wavelanding technicly, and i think thares a thred on that part of the vid...
What... So basically, he's asking if Brawl will cause Melee to die? Well, I'm sure the people that love playing outdated games will continue to play it... But other than that I'm pretty sure it'll be like when Halo 3 came out. On live, Halo2 was still being played, but it was a huge drop in the number of players.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
See also: the amount of people who still play Soul Edge and Soul Calibur compared to Soul Calibur 2/3.

volbound1700

Smash Master
One thing that helps Melee is that it still will work on Wii. A lot of people who did not get N64 have no reason to go get system to get SSB.

Best part about Wii is fact all gamecube games work and you can dl classic games with it.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
One thing that helps Melee is that it still will work on Wii. A lot of people who did not get N64 have no reason to go get system to get SSB.

Best part about Wii is fact all gamecube games work and you can dl classic games with it.
Nah, best part is motion sensitivity.

I have no doubt Brawl will kill a portion of the Melee community.

G U R U

Smash Lord

This man has a point. That was one of the biggest factors people stopped playing the original when Melee came out because it was a new console. But since the Wii has backwards compatibility, it'll be a lot easier to play both. That way at tournaments there could be a Melee tournament and a Brawl tournament.

Lumancer

Smash Apprentice
Uh, I really can't tell if you're talking about the N64 smash or Melee. Frankly I don't think EITHER game will "die," both were fantastic games with huge player bases. There are many people that continue to play the original smash in spite of Melee, because smash was a fantastic game. Likewise, people will continue to play Melee once Brawl comes out, but not as much as they do now. The games don't die, they just don't get as much attention anymore. Smash will forever stand as the emblem of an era, one of the greatest titles of the N64 days many of us grew up with; Melee will forever stand as the shining light in a dark era of Nintendo's legacy, one of the few marks of greatness in a time of failed systems and poor games; and Brawl will forever stand as the dawn of a new era, the game that made the Wii complete.

Yes I'm being EXTREMELY melodramatic, but the Smash series is easily one of the best in history. It deserves our respect.
>.>
<,<

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
melee wont die out cuz remeber u need a wii for brawl and many people only have cubes so they'll keep playin melee and even players with wiis will revist melee from time to time much like with ssb64

Mari0sPooPoo

Smash Journeyman
-Brawl will be more popular, of course.

-Melee will continue on, but with fewer players.

-Tournaments will continue with Melee, but as above, with fewer players.

-Backwards compatibility will help keep it alive

-SSB64 will all but die.

As far as I can see, this is the summary of the thread.

~No more bumping beyond this point~

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
Melee won't really die... there will still be quite a large following for it, especially if Brawl ends up removing something like Wavedashing or making some other mistake that people will hate them for... it's also already been officially said that not every character will return from Melee, so I'm sure people who play as doomed characters like Dr. Mario will just come back to Melee occasionally!

Also, Street Fighter 2 is still frequently played and also in some tournaments, if I remember right... and that's a SNES game!

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
When Halo 2 was released, halo: combat evolved did not die. I still play it every so often.

When a new Madden comes out, people will still play the older versions.

When melee came out, the original 64 version did not die.

Melee will not die.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
idk why but for some reason whean he says smash he means melee. :psycho:

and unsouled, on the first vid you can see mario wavedashing or wavelanding technicly, and i think thares a thred on that part of the vid...
What... So basically, he's asking if Brawl will cause Melee to die? Well, I'm sure the people that love playing outdated games will continue to play it... But other than that I'm pretty sure it'll be like when Halo 3 came out. On live, Halo2 was still being played, but it was a huge drop in the number of players.
1)i have already apoligized for that earlier as for mario wavedashing ya i've heard others say that i havent seen it myself or at least relize because i dont think the creators want to teach less advanced players a move like that although i do believe wave dashing will be possible just not explain in the game manual for brawl.also i too believe the ORIGINAL 12 for the first smash will return. especially luigi, i mean mario with luigi lets be real.

2)i know the # of melee players will drop or maybe not depending on how people recive brawl which with out a doubt will be awesome

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
Melee will die because of Brawl. Brawl is Melee on steroids. There is no reason NOT to play Brawl unless you don't own a Wii. In that case, you are a loser. Get a Wii.

If you do have a Wii, give me a reason to play Melee instead of Brawl. Brawl has more characters, more stages, more features, more video game references, and Wifi. It can be played with the Gamecube controller as well as Wiimote and Classic Controller. There is no reason to play Melee after it releases. It would be like driving a Honda when you own a Ferrari.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
Melee will die because of Brawl. Brawl is Melee on steroids. There is no reason NOT to play Brawl unless you don't own a Wii. In that case, you are a loser. Get a Wii.

If you do have a Wii, give me a reason to play Melee instead of Brawl. Brawl has more characters, more stages, more features, more video game references, and Wifi. It can be played with the Gamecube controller as well as Wiimote and Classic Controller. There is no reason to play Melee after it releases. It would be like driving a Honda when you own a Ferrari.
you sir are sarcastically funny

mario-man

Smash Lord
I don't think he was being sarcastic, just stupid. LOL

Oh, reason = WDing. If it's in Brawl, then well, I may still play Melee cuz it's soo close to a perfect game.

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
I don't think he was being sarcastic, just stupid. LOL

Oh, reason = WDing. If it's in Brawl, then well, I may still play Melee cuz it's soo close to a perfect game.
Yeah, I wasn't being sarcastic. I just can't think of a reason to not play Brawl once it comes out. I mean, you are obviously excited about the game since you are in the forum. So why do you have doubts that it won't be better than Melee? Melee is obviously superior to the original so I don't assume that Nintendo is going to **** up.

And wavedashing won't seem so important when you compare it to the new gameplay techniques that will be discovered in Brawl if WDing doesn't happen to be in it. You don't think more exploits and advanced techniques will be created with the new physics engine and such?

Yeah, sure. There will be people playing Melee, but it will be overshadowed by the amount of Brawlers, especially as the years go on. I mean, when is the last time you saw SSB64 at a convention? Hell, when did you last play SSB64? The only reason to go back is for simple nostagia.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I don't know about you guys, but everyday I'll still be playing Melee. I'll play Brawl for a bit, but then after I'm done I'll play Melee for a bit. I just went to my first tournament today and fell in love with the competitive side of the game. I'm not ready to give up Melee, not yet. And I'm sure tons of SWF members aren't either.

genosall

Smash Journeyman
in your computer waiting for when you get closer t
hmm... good point pyroloserkid! i'm sure lots of pepole will not give up melee quite yet as they are used to melee (i'm starting to lose intrest thogh so brawl is propubly right up my ally!) and don't want to change after all these years. so melee shall live on!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
No ****, dude. Doesn't take a genius to assume that Brawl will be more popular than Melee.
More popular sure, but melee wont die. its my favorite game and the same goes for a lot of other people too, Im gonna do everything I can to keep the competitive melee scene alive here.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
Again, since Melee can be played on a Wii too, Tournaments can be for both, I imagine. A Brawl tournament with the Melee corner, so those who are more comfortable with the second can enjoy it.

I know plenty of people who are more comfy with the 64 one. Again, the comparison between Soul Calibur II and III is raised. A lot of people will move onto the sequel (should the quality be equal or better), but plenty will still prefer the release they're familiar with and have enjoyed for a long time.

No need to make it a Crusade against Brawl or anything.

Top Bottom