• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Ryu always be good?

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
I'm considering buying Ryu for a DLC character. Would you guys say hes the best DLC character in terms of strength? None of the other dlc characters really interest me except him. I know he's good right now but will he stay that way? Is there anything holding him back that people might learn to play around later in the meta game? Like gimpable recovery or anything like that? Ness for example in other smash games dropped in tier lists because of his recovery. Anyways advice appreciated thank you

Last edited:

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
If you enjoy playing Ryu it shouldn't matter where he stands on a community tier list.
Mewtwo was a similar story, though unfortunately Sakurai's design choices have ruined the character for many people.

Anyways I don't see Ryu getting nerfed anytime soon - his combo power and shoryuken are key parts of his design.
None of us know for sure if he will stay top tier material. His recovery isn't that easily gimped, but you shouldn't be going hard on edgeguards with Ryu because most of the time it isn't worth the risk when you can just shoryuken them when they return to the stage.

Buy him and practice. I guarantee you'll enjoy it.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
Pick him up for sure, he's easily one of the most fun characters to play in any Smash game.

He will be good for the lifespan of this game, provided he isn't nerfed in a major way. With that said, I seriously doubt Ryu receives a major nerf. I think in general, all the 3rd party characters are safer from character re-tuning than the 1st party characters. The only major 3rd party change I can think of is Sonics back throw which was just silly. Especially with Street Fighter V coming out next year, I don't think Capcom would allow Sakurai to nerf their face of the franchise. He's in Smash to get people who wouldn't be interested in SFV who wouldn't be otherwise.

As good as Ryu appears now, he still has among the most room for development and refinement as any character in the meta. None of the top players have optimized anything with him. His frame data is crazy good, he has all the options you need, and is highly adaptable to personal playstyle. He doesn't have any glaring weaknesses that are universally exploitable.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Ryu's kit is far too strong for it to ever really be worse than high tier. He completely breaks the metagame; he is the only character who transitions as smoothly as he does from a safe on shield poke to an early kill in the entire game. His fundamental footsie kit is competely different from the large majority of the roster. He has twice as many moves as every other character while also having those moves be extremely fast, big, and powerful. He has an invincible on f1 input up-b (which kills at 80%) and f1 armor FA. There are seriously too many good things about him to really worry about being a meh character.

Also Ryu's recovery is pretty good. He has a lot of mixups (all of his specials aid his recovery in some way) but he's forced to commit to a direction (high airspeed but really low traction so he can't drift, fading back is a really bad idea) and not everything goes a super far distance.

ghWyPakDzVvPncx76h2J

Smash Cadet
Ryu is guaranteed to nearly always be good. Unlike characters such as Sheik, Rosalina & Luma, or Diddy Kong he won't suffer from just one or two big nerfs to some moves. He is literally a brute mother****ing brawler. Do you think he'll suffer if he gets nerfed? He's literally just that good in the right hands and I'd say it's very comparable to Fox in Melee who had just an overwhelmingly technical moveset that despite a nerf in weight (key note: fastfalling is independent from weight), and his sinisteringly good Up Smash and yet he still maintains to be absolutely top of the PAL Tier list in Melee. Sakurai or his team isn't going to throw some dumb nerfs and even then he is a DLC Character so I doubt DLC characters would be target of early nerfs, and I'd say is absolutely just guaranteed to stay top 10 for the rest of the lifespan of Smash Bros Wii U. No one at this point has really called for Ryu nerfs to the magnitude of Diddy nerfs, although he is most likely guaranteed to get some damage nerfs, but it seems like Capcom characters may not be touched patch wise considering that Megaman hasn't gotten buffed or nerfed yet, but that's all speculation. Also with a comparison to Ness that was mostly during the days of edge-hogging, those days are long gone in Smash 4 so tether recovery characters and the pk kids won't have much trouble, but they are still gimpable, but not as easily as they were before.

Undoubtably he is the best DLC character right now, his flaws are mostly minor and over-come-able and not something that would hold him back like a good example would be Shulk's Frame Data is a major flaw, but his flaws are mostly linear recovery that is above average, but able to be mixed up really well. Next his attacks are one sided, doesn't really have attacks that hit that far in front and back of him, although he isn't helpless against people who roll behind him because he can still turn around down smash to ward them off, or grabbed, or just tatsumaki to retreating forcing the opponent into shield or to get hit, so there really isn't much problems there. Overall Ryu is a solid top 10 character; some are afraid to say it, but I'd say he is top 3. I don't think he's getting patched anytime soon because his potential is still being discovered and has a rapidly developing metagame and technical development that has grown more and more at a rate faster than any other character in smash history would ever dream to accomplish in half a year and that is easily because Ryu is the spotlight, and he was made to be a combo heavy technical character which is a major difference.

I'd say if you are looking for a tournament viable character then Ryu is absolutely able to deliver in that respect.
He's not a character you will magically learn in a month and his moveset can be overwhelming as soon as you obtain him, but once you start mixing those combos together and learning shield break, footstool, shaku hover, and nair combos then he becomes an absolute blast to play. The biggest thing holding him back in the current metagame is that he is very technical and just overwhelming, I played him a lot the first month he came out, but now that I realize how much of a great character he was and how I still didn't learn his moveset after 3 months of just dormancy I decided to start using him a lot again and wow he certainly has changed with people discovering how to use his nair, shaku hovering, and all of this insanely crazy stuff he still manages to be a new character even after 5 months.

The One True ayy lmao

Smash Cadet
NNID
SupremeMemes
3DS FC
4206-9420-6969
Ryu's the best character. People just think he's bad because they're not used to putting in real fighting game inputs

Top Bottom