• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will every character be announced?

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking, back in brawl was every character announced before the games release date in brawl? I can't remember. With that being said though, do you all want there to be some secret characters too never be announced? For me yes and no because if its my most anticipated character that's not announced, which is ridley, then I will freak. But it's always nice having surprised when your in the game. Many stages should be remained unknown until released.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
there were still a handful before brawl was announced. including but not limited too wolf, jigglypuff, and toon link

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Likely not. Of course it depends on how the international release dates are synced up together, but it seems most likely they want to keep some secrets hidden before the game releases, as they did with past titles.

I was just thinking, back in brawl was every character announced before the games release date in brawl? I can't remember. With that being said though, do you all want there to be some secret characters too never be announced? For me yes and no because if its my most anticipated character that's not announced, which is ridley, then I will freak. But it's always nice having surprised when your in the game. Many stages should be remained unknown until released.
Prior to Brawl's release, the twelve hidden characters (who weren't Sonic or Snake) were not officially acknowledged, though some were leaked. However, Nintendo's urgency to promote this game may result in nigh every character being announced on the website before release.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I think given Sakurai's stated dislike of the potential of spoilers, we might either

A.) Get only the non-unlockables revealed before launch, barring the exception of 3rd Parties.

or

B.) Get every character revealed, since he might figure people are just going to go out there and spoil it for themselves anyway. I remember when he spoke about the SSE movies, he mentioned that this time he was digging making the character reveal videos and that those would be available to view in-game from the very beginning. If that's the case, any newcomer with a character reveal may possibly be a starter.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
I really hope not. They didn't reveal all of the characters in the rest of the series, just a little to most of them. I really hope that Sakurai only announces exactly half of the playable characters. I like surprises :)

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Hong

The Strongest
I suspect the curtain will not part proper until the show truly begins.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
This is something that's been on my mind lately. 5 of the characters that have been confirmed have historically been unlockable (Luigi, Lucario, Sonic, Marth, Toon Link).

That's not to say that they couldn't make a previously hidden character a started for Smash 4, but doing so is unprecedented. But I have to wonder if any of the confirmed characters will be unlockable. We're at 24, and surely at the rate they've been going, another 8 characters could be revealed by E3. The release date isn't even in sight yet, and I bet it'll be holiday, otherwise they probably would've told us by now.

D

Deleted member

God I hope not, I would like to have a few surprises when I get the game. And also, at the rate they're revealing characters, it's doubtful. There's probably going to be at least a few that haven't been revealed by the time the game comes out. Then again there's also this years E3.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
This is something that's been on my mind lately. 5 of the characters that have been confirmed have historically been unlockable (Luigi, Lucario, Sonic, Marth, Toon Link).

That's not to say that they couldn't make a previously hidden character a started for Smash 4, but doing so is unprecedented. But I have to wonder if any of the confirmed characters will be unlockable. We're at 24, and surely at the rate they've been going, another 8 characters could be revealed by E3. The release date isn't even in sight yet, and I bet it'll be holiday, otherwise they probably would've told us by now.
It's not unprecedented. Ness and Captain Falcon were starters in Melee.

Depending on when the game is released, he could show every character. We've gotten two characters for the past 3 months in a row, and there would probably be at least a few shown at E3, so if the game is released in November or December, that would give us 40+ characters.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
...So, all of them, basically. :laugh:
Well that's my point haha. Maybe there'll be newcomers who specifically don't have a CG video thing made for them so that they can remain a secret. I doubt it myself, but if he truly intends to make all the videos available from the beginning, the only way to have characters remain secret would be to not make videos for them.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think given Sakurai's stated dislike of the potential of spoilers, we might either

A.) Get only the non-unlockables revealed before launch, barring the exception of 3rd Parties.

or

B.) Get every character revealed, since he might figure people are just going to go out there and spoil it for themselves anyway. I remember when he spoke about the SSE movies, he mentioned that this time he was digging making the character reveal videos and that those would be available to view in-game from the very beginning. If that's the case, any newcomer with a character reveal may possibly be a starter.
B is likely but I want to point out. You can still see the sonic and snake trailer before you unlock them in brawl

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
It's not unprecedented. Ness and Captain Falcon were starters in Melee.

Depending on when the game is released, he could show every character. We've gotten two characters for the past 3 months in a row, and there would probably be at least a few shown at E3, so if the game is released in November or December, that would give us 40+ characters.
Ah, yes, you're right. I had completely forgotten about that. I guess it's just because they were unlockable again in Brawl. Well that throws that out the window. =P

Ascended

Smash Ace
Or, when you meet the requirements to fight and unlock a character, the game will play their newcomer video instead of giving you a challenger approaching screen.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Even if everyone is revealed, this likely won't change the fact that a portion of the roster will have unlockables.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I really hope that only 3 more get revealed until release. But the pattern since 2014 has been 2veterans then 1newcomer 1veteran every month. If theres 3 more than our last character will come in april and I highly doubt thats when the game will be released. So if that patter continues until release (which I think will be June-July) we could get 12 characters if e3 gives us 4 characters. That would finish current row on the website and finish another one. So if the patter continues that's 36 characters befor release. I don't think that's going to be the whole roster we will probably get close to 50 characters. Probably 45. There will be a few secrets but we might see most of them if the pattern continues.

Peekolow

Smash Cadet
well i remember on the smash dojo that if you would click on the question mark you would see the new character. i think they would just release a handfull of characters a few weeks before the release.

Top Bottom