• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

SomeRandomGuy

Smash Journeyman
Halo does NOT have a good storyline.

Video game stories need to stop being rated against other video game stories, and start being rated against stories from literature and movies, simply because video games have become a medium of similar magnitude (in today's culture, not in the scope of history, of course).

Halo's characters are static, and it is completely plot-driven fiction. It is junk food for the brain.

Hopefully my game's story will be a little different. But that is neither here nor there.
Halo DOES have a good storyline. Get over it. It has great characters (though their backstory needs to be explained more), it has 3 deaths in one game, and it has flood.

Anyways, i hope subspace is good.

squarez

Smash Apprentice
Halo3 was hyped to hell for the quality of the game it doesnt deserve to have sold as much as it did. COD4 > Halo3 and it sold less across 2 systems and the PC ( although not by that much ). We can only hope that SSBB can outsell halo3 but it most likely wont.

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
Halo 3 has not only the largest income for a game on opening day, but for any eterntainment opening day ever.

Yeah, Smash Bros is unlikely to top that.

Hayama

Smash Cadet
alright I know someone has mentioned this because there's been 60 pages but I think many people are forgetting halo is a game you buy to play by yourself or online at home while smash is a game you play with your friends at their house. At least that's what nearly everyone I know does. You just have a couple dudes that own smash and you go play at their house.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
Halo 3 was hyped for a long time, but in my opinion Brawl was to the full extent. Changed the release date twice, added a great Adventure Mode, added Solid Snake and Sonic in the game- I think it will sell more than Halo 3. And as it is said, Europe has more gamers than America and Australia combined. Once Brawl hits the stores PAL Version, it'll sell millions. And Japan already sold 2 million? And Halo made 8 million? Yeah, it's gonna happen.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
alright I know someone has mentioned this because there's been 60 pages but I think many people are forgetting halo is a game you buy to play by yourself or online at home while smash is a game you play with your friends at their house. At least that's what nearly everyone I know does. You just have a couple dudes that own smash and you go play at their house.
Halo is NOT to play alone at all, you either play online or with friends at your house. Why do you think it has so many multipayer options?

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
Halo 3 did sell a whole lot of copies on the first few days, but has had rather pitiful sales since then. All that matters for this discussion, though, is TOTAL COPIES SOLD.

As far as Halo 3 goes, I don't expect it's sales to go much higher. Since Japan and those parts of Asia that do have it is about 10% of the total gaming market and they've sold about 1.2 million as of Feb. 12 (and that it's pretty much sold out right now), then you're probably looking at 10-12 million total copies of Brawl sold. However, that's an estimate based on what Japan has sold in about 2 weeks (or what they could sell might be more appropriate) and without any regard to how the game will sell in America, Europe, and Australia.

EDIT: Updated post ---- again.

gangstajuice02

Smash Ace
Hey brawl has had an amazing week selling 1.08 million copies in the first week, thats not a bad start
brawl didn't sell 1.08 million copies in it's first week!! that's how much it got NOW!! NOT the first week!!!! Go to wiki and read the reception....

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
brawl didn't sell 1.08 million copies in it's first week!! that's how much it got NOW!! NOT the first week!!!! Go to wiki and read the reception....
Hmm:

Wikipedia said:
In Japan, Brawl sold over 500,000 units on launch day, 820,000 units in its first week, and 1.08 million units total as of February 11.
Your right. It wasn't the first week, it was just about the second week.

Ganondorf's Smash

Smash Rookie
Well lets see...

Brawl is a game where many Nintendo and non Nintendo characters fight for glory
Brawl has a better adventure mode and more interesting, it has bosses from previous games and new ones
It also has new items
New stages
New events
Events can be played at multyplayer
New character seection colors, like Link's shadow form
Wi-Fi
New trophies
you can bid in Wi-Fi
You can build your own stage

Brawl is like a mix of 64 and Melee only much better and entertaining...

I think it will outsale Halo 3...

gangstajuice02

Smash Ace
if brawl doesn't outsell halo 3, brawl is still better in many ways! Well..... until Banjo Threeie, and TimeSplitters 4 comes out!!

squarez

Smash Apprentice
But wiis are selling better than xbox360 and ps3, so wouldn't that mean more people will buy smash bros?

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
lol freaking hilarious man, so true
that's why I posted it lolz hahahha

well considering nintendo wiis are so F*CKING hard to find.
no.
while they are hard to find...that just mean's there selling like crazy :dizzy:,wii's are outselling 360's therefor it's alot more probable for brawl to out sell H3 unless every H3 fanboy run's out and buy's a new copy XD

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
Brawl will never climb over Halo. Don't be ridiculous.

Your blatantly biased opinions that Brawl is a better game don't mean anything. People will still buy Halo 3, and people will continue buying and playing Halo 3, your opinions on it be ****ed. Brawl doesn't have the same hype or appeal, and it's silly to think the only reason people bought Halo 3 was because of fanboyism.

Most of Brawl's fanbase are Nintendo fanboys, which makes perfect sense. It's a game that celebrates Nintendo history. Halo fanboys, people who enjoy Halo, and people who have heard of Halo far, far outnumber the people that can say the same of Brawl.
Um, wtf?

Your apparently stupid, since your saying that.

Smash Bros. Series has been out since 1999=10 years idiot
Halo series been out since around 2003 (i think)=6 Years

the total of smash bros series DOMINATES Halo's sales in the gaming series

it even said online that Smash Bros. series is the ONLY series to do this well for 10 straight years in a row.

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
Duh, it's obvious. Yes. Halo 3 sucks. Melee was the top selling game for GCN.
I expect MUCH more from Brawl. Count on it being one of the greatest games of all time.

Oh, and another thing. Crappy games like Halo 3 only sell when they first release. For the most part, they are done with sales. Melee has sold consistently since it's release, you can still go to Wal-Mart or any other store and see it still selling at 29.99.
Yeah, Melee pwned for 7 years. Brawl will pwn just as long if not longer.
I totally agree with you

ConeZone

Smash Ace
actually not to down the wii, but both xbox 360s and wiis are on a shortage right now...but wii is still overall ahead in sales, in smash bros. brawl will just increase that number, because of the insane amount of people that will want to play it and go buy a wii just to play brawl. Will it outsell halo 3 though?...only time will tell

ManCarrot

Smash Cadet
Brawl will never climb over Halo. Don't be ridiculous.

Your blatantly biased opinions that Brawl is a better game don't mean anything. People will still buy Halo 3, and people will continue buying and playing Halo 3, your opinions on it be ****ed. Brawl doesn't have the same hype or appeal, and it's silly to think the only reason people bought Halo 3 was because of fanboyism.

Most of Brawl's fanbase are Nintendo fanboys, which makes perfect sense. It's a game that celebrates Nintendo history. Halo fanboys, people who enjoy Halo, and people who have heard of Halo far, far outnumber the people that can say the same of Brawl.
Your quote sounds pretty biased to me also :ohwell:

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Halo DOES have a good storyline. Get over it. It has great characters (though their backstory needs to be explained more), it has 3 deaths in one game, and it has flood.

Anyways, i hope subspace is good.
Great characters? One generic badass, whose acted lines make Vin Diesel seem like Sir Alec Guiness, minimal development of the alien species (who, apparently, don't know how to do anything but fight. We NEVER see positive emotions from them. real deep.), and the flood.

Well, the Flood are cool, but only because they have no intelligence to lend itself to a real backstory.

Again, stop comparing the story to pulp science fiction and fantasy, and start comparing it to other media that have the same audience numbers (famous books, and popular movies). Good sci-fi can live up to those standards. Halo can't.

@EDreams: The way to judge a sequel is as follows:

If the game in question (Halo 3, Brawl, or what have you) came out as the original game in the series, how would it stand? Halo 3 has received lackluster reviews, and it can't stand as fiercely as the first on its own.

I wouldn't say that its sales are due to fanboyism, but certainly due to the quality of the first game, and - to a lesser degree - the second.

It's just like any movie sequel that is good, but pales in comparison to earlier offerings.

And for God's sake, it came out in 2007, ten years after Perfect Dark, WHY AREN'T THERE ANY BOTS???

Brawl, I believe, would fare better if it were the first offering in the series. From what I've seen, it offers deeper balance. Far more importantly, it is UNIQUE. There aren't 500 other games with the same control scheme, and general playstyle.

Admittedly, the only reason why there are so many games just like Halo is because it refined and nearly perfected the genre. The original did, and the sequels have been steps in the wrong direction.

However, this does not lessen the truth of the statement that Halo 3 is just. not. unique.

I don't know, that's just my two cents, which I feel are relatively objective, as I was a huge fan of the original Halo.

And the defense of "why is it so popular, then?" is ridiculous. It is so popular because of two reasons:

1) the pure excellence of the first title.
2) the marketing power and the marketing prowess of Microsoft, Inc. That is all.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Um, wtf?

Your apparently stupid, since your saying that.

Smash Bros. Series has been out since 1999=10 years idiot
Halo series been out since around 2003 (i think)=6 Years

the total of smash bros series DOMINATES Halo's sales in the gaming series

it even said online that Smash Bros. series is the ONLY series to do this well for 10 straight years in a row.
I love Smash and don't get into Halo much, but your sales info is plain wrong.

Smash 64 = 5.55 Million Sales
Melee = 6.58 Million Sales
Brawl = 1.15 Million Sales

Total sold smash games so far = 13.28 Million

Now compare to Halo series.

Halo 1 = 6.43 Million
Halo 2 = 8.45 Million
Halo 3 = 7.24 Million

Total sold Halo games so far = 22.12 Million

That means the Halo Series has sold 66% MORE sales then the Smash series. So thus far Halo has been more successful then Smash.

But I'm expecting Brawl to get at least get 7.5 million sales due to it's increased popularity and the huge Wii sales.

So in short we will see if Brawl passes Halo 3. I'm hoping it does but we will see.

SomeRandomGuy

Smash Journeyman
Great characters? One generic badass, whose acted lines make Vin Diesel seem like Sir Alec Guiness, minimal development of the alien species (who, apparently, don't know how to do anything but fight. We NEVER see positive emotions from them. real deep.), and the flood.

Well, the Flood are cool, but only because they have no intelligence to lend itself to a real backstory.

Again, stop comparing the story to pulp science fiction and fantasy, and start comparing it to other media that have the same audience numbers (famous books, and popular movies). Good sci-fi can live up to those standards. Halo can't.
You know nothing about Halo.
1) Master Chief isn't a badass, he is a very lucky man. He is one of the only Spartans to survive augumentation. At least he talks unlike most of Nintendos characters.
2) The Covenant are like the ancient civilizations of Earth. They are in a caste system with the weak grunts at the bottom and the supposed descendant prophets at the top. Tehy follow a releigion the porphets made that the rings are objects the will transport them to the great beyond ot live with the Forerunner gods.
3) The Flood are a parasite (wether Forerunner made or made through nature is unknown), there mission is to consume all sentient life i nthe universe. Teh forerunner brought them to the halo rings ot study them. The forerunners built these rings as a last defense as well. Eventually the flood went out of control and the forerunners activated the ring, destroying all life in the milkyway galaxy. (there are 7 rings). Life eventually reevolved. The flood take bodies and form more forms such as the brain form and the ultra-sentient Gravemind, which controls the flood who made it.
4) Trust me, Halo is better than most of the Scifi movies ive seen (Dragon Wars and some of the Alien vs. Predetor remakes)

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Lol halo 3 is sucha kick *** game i dont know why it gets flamed alot.
I now doubt brawl will sell more than halo.
Not today, tomorrow. Ever.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
I still odnt understand why those statistics are based on such a high caliber of numbers towards the smash series.
Melee wasn't even that good.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
You know nothing about Halo.
1) Master Chief isn't a badass, he is a very lucky man. He is one of the only Spartans to survive augumentation. At least he talks unlike most of Nintendos characters.
2) The Covenant are like the ancient civilizations of Earth. They are in a caste system with the weak grunts at the bottom and the supposed descendant prophets at the top. Tehy follow a releigion the porphets made that the rings are objects the will transport them to the great beyond ot live with the Forerunner gods.
3) The Flood are a parasite (wether Forerunner made or made through nature is unknown), there mission is to consume all sentient life i nthe universe. Teh forerunner brought them to the halo rings ot study them. The forerunners built these rings as a last defense as well. Eventually the flood went out of control and the forerunners activated the ring, destroying all life in the milkyway galaxy. (there are 7 rings). Life eventually reevolved. The flood take bodies and form more forms such as the brain form and the ultra-sentient Gravemind, which controls the flood who made it.
4) Trust me, Halo is better than most of the Scifi movies ive seen (Dragon Wars and some of the Alien vs. Predetor remakes)
1) so do we see him being thankful? Do we see sorrow, consternation, pain, joy? Sorry, that screams PLOT!!!, not CHARACTER!!!
2) do we see the religion? do we see their everyday lives? You are confusing good plot with good characters. We got a slightly "in depth" look at the Arbiter in Halo 2, but no character development.
3) Again, you're telling me PLOT! I never said it didn't have a good plot. Good plot does not a good story make.
4) Okay, that really means nothing. Most sci fi movies made thus far have been weak, plot-driven nonsense. How about the first Alien movie? That was all about character development (especially Ridley, we see her completely conquer herself and become more decisive by the end of the movie).
What about Terminator - Terminator 2? Sarah Connor's character starts out as a shy slip of a girl, and by the beginning of T2, she is a complete badass. We also see her start questioning herself and her sanity several times during the course of the movie.

These characters aren't affected by the plot, they are effected. Every experience we go through changes us and our outlook, even if just a little. Literary characters (yes that means Master Chief) should undergo the same transformation. THAT is good story.

Please don't take this as a personal attack on a pretty good game (Halo 1 is my second favorite game), just understand that a good story is driven by real, transforming, characters. The characters in Halo are static.

Top Bottom