• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
hmm lets see, thats nine games:

5 of them are also out on PC (and I know that at least oblivion is better on PC)
Lost planet is boring(but thats just an opinion)
7 of them are shooters
shadow run has an average score of 6.6

now for the wii we have super mario galaxy, LoZTP, metroid prime 3, medal of honor heroes 2, resident evil 4, guitar hero 3, trauma center second opinion and trauma center new blood, battalion wars 2, warioware smooth moves, fire emblem radiant dawn, resident evil umbrella chronicles, super paper mario, and more that I can't think of right now.

also the xbox 360 had a years head-start on the wii.
This has to be the worst logic ever. At least the games I name that are on PC also are XBOX 360 EXCLUSIVES! You named Guitar Hero, WHICH IS ON THE 360 ALSO! lol Not to mention, it has d/l tracks, unlike the Wii. Let's not forget the fact that more than half that list is terrible games. FE? Super Paper Mario? Let's not forget RESIDENT EVIL 4 WHICH WAS RELEASED YEARS AGO ON THE GC!!! FPS + Online= a winning combination usually. If you want to label system's libraries as anyhting, you could just label Nintendo as puzzle games and spin-offs.

But, once again, we're not arguing about which system has the better library.

Let me clear up a few things:

-Wiis HAVE sold slightly more than 360's.
-360 games and XBL arcade games sell much better than Wii games and VC games.
-Xbox 360 has a much better library (popular opinion, cannot be used as a fact)
- More GAMERS own 360 than Wii.
- Half of 360 owners own its most popular game after a few months. Not even 1/4 of Wii owners own it's most popular non-bundle game after over a year.

The reason the libraries came up was because we were talking about how 360 games sell better, even though they have a better library, meaning more alternatives.

We can all conclude that Brawl is more imporant to us, and is much better than Halo, in our opinions.

However, to most gamers, Halo is more popular. It DID have more hype. You had to be on XBL even 9 months before its release to hear how hyped it was by everyone.

IMO, Brawl will not sell 5 million copies for at least 18 months. I think that it will match Halo 3's numbers toward the end of the console generation, in about 4 years I'm guessing. Halo 3's hype is killing Brawl's, and Wii games don't sell that good. That's what is the most obvious sign of Brawl not being able to outsell Halo.

Shishou

Smash Apprentice
By the end of its lifetime Brawl will without a doubt be the most sold game on the Wii.

Even so, Halo 3 will still beat it. Halo is just too big of a name and icon now. It attracts a huge audience, while Brawl kind of turns off some of the older gamers.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
By the end of its lifetime Brawl will without a doubt be the most sold game on the Wii.

Even so, Halo 3 will still beat it. Halo is just too big of a name and icon now. It attracts a huge audience, while Brawl kind of turns off some of the older gamers.
Agreed that Brawl will be the best seller on the Wii. It won't pass Sports or Play, but those don't even count. Sports comes with the **** system and Play is just a crappy disc they threw in with a Wiimote box.

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
I think Halo 3 will naturally sell more in a shorter period. After all, it's the most hyped game ever.

In the long run, though, I think Brawl will sell more. Much of the hype about Halo 3 is dying down already as people realize it's more like Halo 2.5.

If Melee is any indication, Brawl will continue to sell well seven years later.
true because i think we are all starting to realise that SSBB is in no way SSB 2.5

secretcode

Smash Cadet
NNID
Secretcod
3DS FC
2337-3743-8226
Halo 3 sold a lot because of the multi-million dollar hype for it. I couldn't walk 5 steps at WalMart without seeing Halo 3. Checkout lines? Halo 3 Mountain Dew. Food Aisles? Cut-outs of MasterChief sponsoring the Mountain Dew that sponsored Halo 3. Clothing area? Halo 3 T-Shirts. Electronics? Halo Fanboys that laugh every time you by a DS Game. (Actual Experiance. Besides, Cooking Mama and Elite Beat Agents are awesome)

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Halo 3 sold a lot because of the multi-million dollar hype for it. I couldn't walk 5 steps at WalMart without seeing Halo 3. Checkout lines? Halo 3 Mountain Dew. Food Aisles? Cut-outs of MasterChief sponsoring the Mountain Dew that sponsored Halo 3. Clothing area? Halo 3 T-Shirts. Electronics? Halo Fanboys that laugh every time you by a DS Game. (Actual Experiance. Besides, Cooking Mama and Elite Beat Agents are awesome)
But Brawl could get the same amount of hype with a different approach, it doesn't have to happen exactly like Halo 3's "almost out" days to get a monstrous amount of hype.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
But Brawl could get the same amount of hype with a different approach, it doesn't have to happen exactly like Halo 3's "almost out" days to get a monstrous amount of hype.
Even though it should, it probably won't. Halo is the type of game that is compatible with...let's just say most gamers. This many or may not be true, but that's how it seems. Either that or the owners and employees of these stores don't like Smash as much as Halo. :laugh:

Magnacor

Smash Ace
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pzp8S_7yspM

Also, if it's such a small number, please explain the horrible sales of every game that isn't Sports and Play? Even Galaxy isn't doing too well.
Maybe because Wii Sports comes bundled with every Wii and everyone wants the
extra Wiimote in Wii Play? Those games don't make people not buy other games and perhaps the Wii has such a diverse library t suit people's tastes, everyone buys the type of game they want.

Originally Posted by Kio Iranz
Even though it should, it probably won't. Halo is the type of game that is compatible with...let's just say most gamers. This many or may not be true, but that's how it seems. Either that or the owners and employees of these stores don't like Smash as much as Halo.
No, it's not true. But you're right, it does seem like no employee actually plays a game besides Halo. Maybe that's because Halo's main audience is people in their mid-twenties to late teens that discard any game that's not M rated as trash saying "It's for babies."

Originally Posted by secretcode
Yeah, if they had not completely overhyped it, they would not have sold as many games. I sincerely doubt we'll be seeing any Mountain Dew with Mario on it (though if we did I'd buy every bottle). Welcome to the boards, by the way.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Maybe because Wii Sports comes bundled with every Wii and everyone wants the
extra Wiimote in Wii Play? Those games don't make people not buy other games and perhaps the Wii has such a diverse library t suit people's tastes, everyone buys the type of game they want.
Also, Sports and Play are the selling points to most non-gamers who buy the Wii.

Paixy

Smash Journeyman
it doesnt matter, does it affect the way we will play the game?.
I dunno, these sales may just effect my future Bowser game, :laugh: j/k

Being an owner of both a 360 and a Wii, as well as a fan of the Halo series and Smash series. I firmly believe we'll see impressive sales of Brawl. Rank it as one of The Wii's best selling game for sure. But to compare it's hype to that Halo 3 hype? Im sorry. But no.

The online play for Brawl will help push its sales and the gamestops around here, already confirmed to me that they are indeed having a midnight release here. I already know that much.

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
Well halo 3 has sold 5 about five million so far, so considering that brawl will do better than melee which sold 6 million then I suppose brawl will eventually outsell halo 3

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Well halo 3 has sold 5 about five million so far, so considering that brawl will do better than melee which sold 6 million then I suppose brawl will eventually outsell halo 3
Terrible reasoning. 6 million copies in 6 years vs 5 million in a few months. You act as though Halo and Melee were out for the same amount of time.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
No, it's not true. But you're right, it does seem like no employee actually plays a game besides Halo. Maybe that's because Halo's main audience is people in their mid-twenties to late teens that discard any game that's not M rated as trash saying "It's for babies."

Yeah, if they had not completely overhyped it, they would not have sold as many games. I sincerely doubt we'll be seeing any Mountain Dew with Mario on it (though if we did I'd buy every bottle). Welcome to the boards, by the way.
That's a pretty bad stereotype for 360 owners. You can say the the Wii's market is preteens that discard any game not rated E as trash because "it's for really old grannies"

Halo's fanbase and hype was destroying what Brawl's is today, nearly a year before it was even released. The marketing didn't have much of an effect on it. Before a single Mountain Dew bottle or anyhting Marketing Halo was even created, everyone was going nuts for it.

Brawl will out do everything compared to halo 3.
Besides the opinion that we will enjoy it more than Halo 3, do you have anything to back up that claim? Brawl is already being outdone in preorders and hype.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
Brawl will outsell Halo3 in the long run.
Fixed.

I've heard from way too many Halo people that Halo 3 sucked hard, and a lot of people were switching to CoD 4 or whatever it is.

Halo is the type of game that everyone buys RIGHT THEN AND THERE, and it's over with. Massive insta-hype, and bam, it's all done a week later.

And personally, I think that a game that sells more in the long-run sold better than a game that sold a little less, instantly. Games that sell more as the years go on are usually games that have better re-playability, are more addictive, or just generally better and more people find out about it as more people obtain it.

ksukh

Smash Rookie
Im agreeing with the other people here.

Who gives a flip.

Long as you buy it, and enjoy it. Sales don't determine how good a game is. Super Mario Galaxy didn't have near as much sales as Halo 3, yet it got a higher rating then Halo 3, and is considered best game for the wii right now. Brawl will be even better.

Basically, you shouldn't even care about the sales unless you are apart of making the game.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTED FOR TRUTH

I agree with the person above......it really is all about the rating...not the sales. I honestly don't know what to say about brawl exceeding Halo 3's sales. I think there's a marketing aspect to it...along with the genre....would you rather play an FPS...or a fighter? I hope Brawl is advertised well though....I'm assuming it will have that "wii would like to play" commercial like we're all assuming. I don't want that though...I hope they think of something different. I'm just going to say it will sell......that's it......we all know this game is a guaranteed 9.5+ Rating...

Desruprot

Smash Lord
The main thing is that Brawl has high poltential then what Halo 3 did, More Wii's out there meaning more chance of people buying Brawl...in addition there is a bit more to it due to the clear feature differences between them, Halo 3 does not have a create-a-stage option, thats getting into technicalities, so I'll stop here, unless does anyone have a direct comparison of generic features (custom character/stage/battle/mode ect... as an example)

FFBlackmage456

Smash Rookie
Personally I think Brawl can't outsell Halo 3 on its release date but overtime I think it will. Only Time will tell so all you fanboys shut your mouths. And for all you folks that say that brawl's online won't have leaderboards or voice chat or any of that stuff, how about you wait for the game to come out and see for yourself and then start talking s**t about its online. Geez.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
I can agree with that, also this does not ask whether it would out sell Halo 3 in the long run or the release day it speaks of overall, and overall Brawl has high polential in the long run...Nintendo has not sold anything record breaking in decades, only overtime have they broken the records, overall my opinion is that Brawl will out sell Halo 3...

gangstajuice02

Smash Ace
pointless the gayest thread dude come on!!!!! wat point are you making brawl can't beat halo 3!!! understand!! it will just be a awsome game like Assasin's Creed, Call Of Duty 4, and those other games!!!!

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
pointless the gayest thread dude come on!!!!! wat point are you making brawl can't beat halo 3!!! understand!! it will just be a awsome game like Assasin's Creed, Call Of Duty 4, and those other games!!!!
this all comes from the guy who posts new threads every day, half of his posts are threads!

Garuda

Smash Ace
Could is sell more than Halo 3? Hm... that's kinda tricky, though if Brawl isn't advertised via Burger King, it probably won't.

Cless

Smash Champion
I think people are overestimating Wii owners. This question would be better asked on a not obviously biased board anyway.

Cless

Smash Champion
Like somewhere random and non-video game related possibly. I said obviously biased anyway. This is Smashboards after all.

Fenris_Wolf

Smash Rookie
Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe brawl will sell more. This isn't because it's better than Halo 3 or anything. It's because the vast majority of gamers own Wii's. We can't expect all of these gamers to buy brawl, but a lot will.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe brawl will sell more. This isn't because it's better than Halo 3 or anything. It's because the vast majority of gamers own Wii's. We can't expect all of these gamers to buy brawl, but a lot will.
This theory has been disproven on nearly every page of this thread.

Facts such as no hardcore Wii games are selling, which shows who the Wii is selling to, the global sales of the 360 and Wii are nearly the same, far more 360 games are selling than Wii games, the fact that only 1/3 of 360 owners have Halo 3 (5 million in two weeks is still record breaking, before you decide to use that as an argument) regardless of the massive hype... Hype Brawl can't possibly match.

Fenris_Wolf

Smash Rookie
This theory has been disproven on nearly every page of this thread.

Facts such as no hardcore Wii games are selling, which shows who the Wii is selling to, the global sales of the 360 and Wii are nearly the same, far more 360 games are selling than Wii games, the fact that only 1/3 of 360 owners have Halo 3 (5 million in two weeks is still record breaking, before you decide to use that as an argument) regardless of the massive hype... Hype Brawl can't possibly match.
You're right, I hadn't thought of the hardcoreness. I probably should've read one of the other pages of this thread before posting.

Okysho

Smash Ace
let's think of it this way. Wii has about doubled the sales of X box 360, and is still impossible to find in most stores. Brawl (since it's like the Halo 3 of Wii) will probably do much, much, MUCH better than that of Halo 3 considering that is is much more prefered and there are much more Wii owners

Okysho

Smash Ace
hm... perhaps it's worth correcting myself... Wii hasn't DOUBLED but it's sold much more than 360 (this was confirmed in about July) Not only that, but Halo isn't as good of a game in terms of both gameplay and unique properties. Not only that but the amount of customization capabilities of this game probably exceed that of ANY previous game! The only things that are missing from this game are a character create mode (Which I don't approve of, Smash bros is for geuine video game all-stars that have appeared on a nintendo system only) and a create an item mode. EVEYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING Else is available! YOu can even mix special brawls! You don't get much more customizable than that, It's like a MAcintosh computer, only better!

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
It hasn't sold enough over the 360 to make a difference, the idea that Brawl has more customization than most other games is laughable (Halo 3 has far more customization, even I know that... and Halo 3 isn't exactly the pinnacle of customization either), your opinion on Halo 3's value is irrelevant to sales, and the Macintosh thing makes me think you're being sarcastic.

Top Bottom