• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will ALL the previous stages re-appear in Smash 4?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I don't know about you guys, but I hate to see things scrapped off from a previous game. Even the littlest and most useless thing, I'd always prefer it to be even in the next game.
Obviously this counts for the characters most, but even for the stages.

Brawl did brought back some stage from Melee, presumably those which Sakurai thought were the best. But maybe he wanted to bring them all back? We all know Brawl, as a game, was huge. My disc doesn't work anymore lol, my Wii can't read it because it's too full. So it's understandable that not everything could be put back. But the Wii U being more powerful and all, why not?

I don't really think it would be hard for them. The stage selection screen could be divided in four pages (64, Melee, Brawl, Smash 4) exactly like Brawl. So the selection won't be too much of a mess. I mean, we're talking what? Like 70 stages from all the first three games? With the new ones, we will be close to 100 at least...

I said it wouldn't be hard to do, because I don't even want a graphic upscale. I would leave them as they were previously in the other games, for the sake of history.

What do you think? It's asking too much, or it's plausible?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's asking for too much really.

That, and some stages just sucked. I wouldn't mind if a few old ones from each game were brought back AND graphically updated.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Well yeah, some of them suck I can't disagree. But I don't know, the game would be so much big with all those stages... Virtually infinite and always different, the combinations of stages / characters would be impossibile to reach. That's why I'd like it.
I don't know anything about techical issues anyway, so... Would it really be hard for Sora to just take the stages from Brawl, and transfer them into another game? Without almost any change, like it happened with the Melee stages.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually, the Melee stages were recreated, not imported.

evilsmashbrosfan

Smash Cadet
I think,with Star Fox 64 3d and Ocarina of Time 3d,they could do remakes of old n64 stages alongside new stages and returning stages from Brawl.That wouldn`t be too bad since i liked the old n64 ones.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
They should. If it could be done with codes in Brawl, it can be done by Sakurai himself.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about you guys, but I hate to see things scrapped off from a previous game. Even the littlest and most useless thing, I'd always prefer it to be even in the next game.
That includes tripping, right? :troll:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
That includes tripping, right? :troll:
I would leave it when it actually makes sense like with the banana GOTCHA

Anyway, some stages from Brawl were ****ing awesome. The only I hate are 75m, Mario Bros. and New Pork City only because they're unplayable. They look cool nonetheless.

Still I WANT THEM ALLH

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I hope not. Most of Brawls' stages were s***.
I have to agree with him on this. Many of the stages(Norfair, 75m, Rumble Falls, Mario Bros., New Pok City, Mushroomy Kingdom, Flat Zone 2, Hanenbow ) , while visually more interesting than the Melee ones weren't ideal for battles.

But to balance that out, there were quite a few good stages(Delfino Plaza, Luigi's Mansion, Bridge of Eldin:awesome:, Pirate Ship, Battleship Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Shadow Moses Island, Castle Siege, Wario Ware, Distant Planet, Pictochat, The Summit, Smashville). I would love to see these stages return along with several from melee and a few from 64.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Delfino, Halberd, Lyland, Shadow Moses, Wario Ware, Distant Planet, and most of those other stages are really bad. Brawl has maybe 5 stages that aren't completely skrewy and even then all but one of them are still noticeably skrewy.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Delfino, Halberd, Lyland, Shadow Moses, Wario Ware, Distant Planet, and most of those other stages are really bad. Brawl has maybe 5 stages that aren't completely skrewy and even then all but one of them are still noticeably skrewy.
A hazard switch would fix a few of those(like Warioware). But most of them would suck otherwise.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
It'll mostlikely be fan favorite maps from all three previous games returning with a lot more new ones. I just hope they don't just pick the most competitive ones to return but also go for the more unique ones.
Something should also be done about Final Destination, I get that people want a really basic map for competitive play but why does it have to look so incredibly boring and uninspired? Since it is by far the most used map, why not have its look cycle through different backgrounds and music tracks based on Nintendo games?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It'll mostlikely be fan favorite maps from all three previous games returning with a lot more new ones. I just hope they don't just pick the most competitive ones to return but also go for the more unique ones.
Something should also be done about Final Destination, I get that people want a really basic map for competitive play but why does it have to look so incredibly boring and uninspired? Since it is by far the most used map, why not have its look cycle through different backgrounds and music tracks based on Nintendo games?
They should pick a mix of the competitive stages and "casual" stages. My main problem with the Melee stages in Brawl was that they didn't bring back andy of the "boring" stages, which Brawl could have used more of a variety of.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
bring stages from all three games, though I won't defend all stages. I'd say... 5 from N64, 15 from Melee and 20 from Brawl. oh, and redesign those stages graphically to look good in HD... but outdated graphics would give a nice nostalgia feel, I admit.

[COLLAPSE="My wishlist"]From N64:
Dream Land
Peach's Castle
Sector Z
Saffron City
Planet Zebes

From Melee:
Rainbow Ride
Kongo Jungle
Great Bay
Temple
Brinstar Dephts
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Venom
Fourside
Big Blue
Pokémon Stadium
Poké Floats
Mushroom Kingdom II
Icicle Mountain
Flat Zone

From Brawl:
Delfino Plaza
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Castle Siege
Smashville
New Pork City
Summit
75m
Flat Zone 2
Pictochat
Hanenbow
[/COLLAPSE]

I avoided some redundancies as you can see: I've included Planet Zebes from the original but no Brinstar or Norfair. Same for Peach's Castle, Green Greens, Kongo Jungle and Sector Z (meaning, no Corneria). I think this would be the best choices in terms of representation. Maybe they could take Sector Z and Corneria and make a new stage where it switches scenery (perhaps adding a few more): think Lylat Cruise but with the sideways Great Fox.

I did include, though both Flat Zones and Pokémon Stadiums, because the former is because G&W didn't get a past stage in Brawl, same for the Ice Climbers, and the latter is because I think these are staples of Smash already.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah, a big selection like that would please me anyway. I understand why you say stages like Norfair are bad, because they're not good in a competitive manner. But I find them funny anyway, when I play randomly. It would be a shame to just throw them out.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the more the marrier, right? Sure, some stages are unplayable (you have already discussed them), but that doesn't mean they have to be cut out.

Believe it or not, but some people like the horrible stages... Why not please them? In what way do the bad stages bother us (apart from single player)?

aba1

Smash Apprentice
I know most people hate it but I loved mushroom kingdom from Super Smash 64. Also no Hyrule castle? YOU CRAZY DAWGGGGG

Also slightly of topic but if we could get pokemon stadium to not change I would be a SUPER happy camper I dunno if anybody else feels this way. I mean hell we had 2 of them in SSBB and the both keep changing which is super annoying (in my opinion).

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The standard Wii U disc is 25 GB in size. Brawl's dual-layered Wii disc is 8 GB and some change. I don't see why they couldn't bring back all of the older stages, unless they pack the game with unneeded crap. Also, let's not forget that Brawl also has Masterpieces containing full games, including the entirety of Ocarina of Time, if that's anything to go by. If anything, we can also hope they bring back Smash 64 and Melee stages via DLC as well.

:phone:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
doubtful,especially since most stages are redesigns of previous ones (ex. Master Hand's Residence>FD Melee>FD Brawl, Sector 0>Corneria, etc.)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The stage being good or bad is highly subjective. My list was made with variety in mind with some personal choices, as well, but I focused more on variety. What some people label as "bad" or "unplayable" stages, I prefer to call them "a challenge". Most of my strategies in Smash revolve around using the stage and the items as a means to achieve victory. I like the random factor in games because I like facing odds that are against me and overcome them with improvised techniques.

This said, I would rejoice if all the stages from the previous games returned, because each of them is unique among the rest, either aesthetically or regarding gameplay, that counts for even the Battlefield and Final Destination stages.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
doubtful,especially since most stages are redesigns of previous ones (ex. Master Hand's Residence>FD Melee>FD Brawl, Sector 0>Corneria, etc.)
Pokémon Stadium > Pokémon Stadium 2.

What's your point?

P.S it's Sector Z.

nessokman

Smash Lord
The standard Wii U disc is 25 GB in size. Brawl's dual-layered Wii disc is 8 GB and some change. I don't see why they couldn't bring back all of the older stages, unless they pack the game with unneeded crap. Also, let's not forget that Brawl also has Masterpieces containing full games, including the entirety of Ocarina of Time, if that's anything to go by. If anything, we can also hope they bring back Smash 64 and Melee stages via DLC as well.

:phone:
HOWEVER! You are only thinking of the Wii U. The 3ds has far less than 25 GB. The games need to be equal or nearling equal. There can't be 70-100 stages in the wii U and only 10-35 in the 3ds version.The 3ds users who can't quite afford a wii u and it's games would be getting cheated. I doubt all stages will reappear

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
HOWEVER! You are only thinking of the Wii U. The 3ds has far less than 25 GB. The games need to be equal or nearling equal. There can't be 70-100 stages in the wii U and only 10-35 in the 3ds version.The 3ds users who can't quite afford a wii u and it's games would be getting cheated. I doubt all stages will reappear
This is true, a 3DS game card is 1-8 GB in size. If Smash on the 3DS decides to go the whole 8 GB, that would mean the game in a handheld will have almost as much data as Brawl does (Masterpieces included), which is really insane for a handheld, all things considered.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
All I want to return is Hyrule Castle, Fountain of Dreams, and Luigi's Mansion. Anything else would be great, but I need those three.

Also, how to top the epicness of Brawl's Final Destination? That amazing music, synched with the background, I honestly wouldn't mind them just including that (updated to HD, of course).

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
All I want to return is Hyrule Castle, Fountain of Dreams, and Luigi's Mansion. Anything else would be great, but I need those three.

Also, how to top the epicness of Brawl's Final Destination? That amazing music, synched with the background, I honestly wouldn't mind them just including that (updated to HD, of course).
I'd love that stage if they didn't **** up the ledges so badly.

Zero_Saber

Smash Apprentice
They probably won't, but I think it would be cool if they did. At the very least release stage packs or something for a couple of bucks that allows you to get all of these stages back. Or maybe they can make a good stage builder that actually makes it possible to re-create old stages.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
You're right but I don't really see the two games similar, content-wise. I liked that rumor about the fact that the 3DS' Smash would be for "retro characters" and the Wii U's one for "new characters" exactly for this. The games would be completely different and the comparison useless.

I'm still convinced though that Smash Bros. 3DS will be post-poned at least. I don't really see the point to release them on the same day.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
They probably won't, but I think it would be cool if they did. At the very least release stage packs or something for a couple of bucks that allows you to get all of these stages back. Or maybe they can make a good stage builder that actually makes it possible to re-create old stages.
Yeah a REAL stage maker would be awesome, but either that or scrap that off. Brawl's one was a nice add but useless and kinda dumb. I still made like 50 stages, but most of them were more of an experiment.

For example the obvious stage made by only four platforms and nothing more, or a stage which was basically a cage with a little hole on the top to see all the characters just bumping around.

But it was just for joking.

If they want to keep the stage builder like it was, AT LEAST they would add some piece actually recognizable, like a Mario ? block, or a Piranha Plant, things like that. I hope the game will receive a lot of downloadable content so if they can't put everything for day one they'll release it after, the same goes with the stages itself...

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Why should the 3DS version have the same content as the Wii U version?

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Pretty obvious that the console version will have more content then.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I'd like for maybe 15 stages to be added and all previous stages minus clone stages. Some of the N64 stages were cool but clone wise I like all the future adaptations better.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
LOL look at people whining about stage hazards on stages that are supposed to be hazardous since it adds to the fun! Personally, i want them to bring ALL the stages back from ALL the previous games! Come on! The Wii U discs will have 25GB of information PER LAYER!

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Obviously this counts for the characters most, but even for the stages.

Brawl did brought back some stage from Melee, presumably those which Sakurai thought were the best. But maybe he wanted to bring them all back? We all know Brawl, as a game, was huge. My disc doesn't work anymore lol, my Wii can't read it because it's too full. So it's understandable that not everything could be put back. But the Wii U being more powerful and all, why not?

I don't really think it would be hard for them. The stage selection screen could be divided in four pages (64, Melee, Brawl, Smash 4) exactly like Brawl. So the selection won't be too much of a mess. I mean, we're talking what? Like 70 stages from all the first three games? With the new ones, we will be close to 100 at least...

I said it wouldn't be hard to do, because I don't even want a graphic upscale. I would leave them as they were previously in the other games, for the sake of history.

What do you think? It's asking too much, or it's plausible?
Honestly, I think Sakurai is going to trash off every past stage, and introduce new stages, some of which will feature routines that remind of the past stages (scrolling, transforming, changing background), but they will be all new.
This maybe is the revolution he was talking of, and I would understand it.
Using old stages would make the whole game bound to all the previous mechanics in order to work, while, instead, should be the stages adapting to the gameplay, rather than the oppisite.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's asking for too much really.
Not if it's post-release DLC. Whether it's free or cost moneys, I don't care, because I'll get it regardless, even if it's just crappy stages. I need stages like a baby needs milk! :laugh:
That, and some stages just sucked. I wouldn't mind if a few old ones from each game were brought back AND graphically updated.
[COLLAPSE="Bad stages IMO (and I mean so bad, it's hard to play on them):"]1. Yoshi's Island (64): Freaking awkward angles, lots of camping spots, and a design that makes running away all too successful all too often.
2. Mushroom Kingdom (Melee): Everything is more cramped than the house of a hoarder!
3. Brinstar Depths: Terrible design, lots of glitches.
4. Venom: Awful angle, lots of glitches.
5. Big Blue: Why did it return in Brawl=??? No really, this stage is terrible. Mute City is where it's at!
6. Infinite Glacier: OH... MY... GAWSH! Somebody had to hate life to make this stage!
7. Mario Bros. : Make it have more room. Regardless, this stage has a lot of camping spots.
8. Rumble Falls: Moves way too quickly.
9. 75M: I'd argue it's the worst designed stage ever. Also, there's a lot of camping/stalling spots on this stage.
10. Sky Pillar: Get ride of the bottom or the Pokémon.
11. Flat Zone 2: Moves way too quickly.
12. Wario Ware: Moves too quickly, glitches out a lot.
13. Green Hill Zone: The center area is freaking stupid; just make it flat-ish, or make it a moving stage.
Hanebow: This stage literally has no point whatsoever.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Stages IMO most of us agree on should return (if it is possible)"]
1. Mushroom Kingdom (64): Holy freaking crap I love this stage. Great layout, an DAT BUMPER! I like to call this stage COMBO CITY!!!
2. Congo Jungle (64): The perfect team battle stage. This stage has an excellent layout, and is always fun to play on. A true fan favorite.
3. Hyrule Castle (64): A huge stage that is hugely awesome. This is arguably the most popular smash 64 stage.
4. Dreamland (64): It has been voted the most neutral and popular stage in any smash bros game in many polls. Probably the most popular Smash 64 stage.
5. Saffron City (64): A great place to spike! Cameos a plenty! Really, this is one of those few "tournament banned" stages that nearly every smash fan can enjoy!
6. Metal Crystal (the Metal Mario stage) (64): A fan favorite. Great layout, awesome music, and all kinds of awesomes possess this stage and its' greatness.
7. Rainbow Cruise/Ride (Melee): My personal favorite stage of all-time. Probably the best scrolling stage ever to grace a smash bros game!
8. Hyrule Temple (Melee): Probably the most well-liked stage of all-time, and it's easy to see why. This stage captures that huge, epic, destroyed war zone feel perfectly.
9. Brinstar (Melee): Truly a unique stage. Although quite small, it is still quite fantastic. If possible, I would prefer the Brawl port of this stage.
10. Yoshi's Story (Melee): Quite frankly, one of the most neutral stages ever. Randall adds a lot of lucky saves to it. Truly, a stage no one could ever hate!
11. Fountain of Dreams (Melee): An epic, neutral, beautiful battlefield! This stage would be a perfect match for any smash bros game!
12. Corneria (Melee): The better of this model (the other being Sector Z in 64). This stage has remained a fan favorite. (The Brawl import version would work great!)
13. Pokémon Stadium (Melee): A stage that everyone seems to love! (I would prefer the Melee version, with some of the Melee glitches removed!)
14. Mute City: This stage is filled with high speed action! The fact this stage wasn't in Brawl is a crime against humanity!
15. Delfino Plaza (Brawl): An excellent (slower) adaption of Mute City, but with Mario instead! This is one great stage! My favorite new Melee stage!
16. Frigate Orpheon (Brawl): A simple stage with a lot of moving parts that add a certain intensity to matches. Hopefully this stage would return without the glitches!
17. Yoshi's Island (Brawl): Pretty much no debate here. We all love this stage, it's atmosphere, layout, and music! "EAT LEGOS!! NOT EGGOS!!!" :laugh:
18. The Haleberd (Brawl): A fan favorite from the start. I don't think anyone can really dislike this stage. It's just so... "fitting" for Smash Bros (and Meta Knight).
19. Lylat Cruise (Brawl): A Brawl fan favorite stage! If the glitches and bad edges caused by tilting can be removed, then bring it back! We want more of it!
20. Castle Siege (Brawl): An epic moving stage with a lot of uniqueness to it. This stage is a stage any smash fan can enjoy, and would love to see back!
21. Smashville (Brawl): If you don't love this stage, then you don't deserve to be loved!
22. Stadium (Brawl): The awesome Stadium at the beginning of the SSE! It's just so perfect! Bring it back, and make it a stage we can play on in multiplayer!
23. Tabuu Fight Stages (Brawl): C'mon, this stage is epic with it's layout, music, and atmosphere! Even if it's just like Final Destination, bring it on back![/COLLAPSE]Every other stage I would argue has both a lot of people who like it and a lot of people who dislike it. But still, I think if we get any stages back, it should be these 23 stages first.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hyrule Temple, despite not being tournament friendly, is still one of my favorite stages in the series. It's a big stage, but not stupidly huge like New Pork City.

Top Bottom