• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiimote + nunchuk = horrible?

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Before I start, I just want to clear this up: I'm a virgin to smash bros. I got the game last november and have never played melee nor a gamecube before; therefore I use wiimote+nunchuk.

Anyway, I have one really major problem: I can't short hop. I try to tap the jump button lightly but most of the time it still becomes a full hop and well my aerials get screwed up, naturally. I try to RAR a Bair or Uair whenever I can but it becomes a full hop and I get punished; same issue with Fair and Nair.

Only aerial I have no problem with is Dair because I can pull off an FH dair easily.

Oh yeah, another thing. I'm like, 13 and I can't buy a gamecube controller on my own even if it's the most popular controller out of the four options.

I'm not exactly the kind that gets into competitions often, usually just normal games with my friends so I don't mind if I seriously can't optimize lucas' game.

So, just a few questions. Do you guys have some sort of tips for trying to short hop easily and consistently, and how do I optimize my game if I can't?

Levitas

the moon
Don't tap the button lightly. Press the button, and get off it ASAP. It really isn't a huge deal whether you use a gamecube controller or other control scheme if you're not really competitive (which you aren't atm).

At your level of play, you'll find that spacing aerials so that you can't get hit upon landing is gonna be the best bet for playing things safe. Get your short hop down, and do an aerial, but make sure that you're going to land either behind your opponent or far enough away from them that if they shield the hit, they can't grab you or attack out of said shield.

Note that landing behind them isn't foolproof, but it's a lot better than just running up to someone and saying "shield this then hit me"

welcome to smashboards ^_^

Splice

Smash Hero
i prefer Wii-Mote to wii-mote + nunchuk, because the buttons are in a similair position to the GC.
however it probably won't help you with Short Hoping. If you ever do intend to buy a GameCube controller, i would suggest you practice Wii-Mote on its own before you get it, because switching from wiimote+nunchuk to GC controller will probably mess you up a bit. I know that i can't use Nunchuk anymore since i started using GC controller, so thats what i'm basing this off. Good Luck learning to short hop though!

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
just set one of the buttons to short hop and then just press that lightly.
That should work. :)
Careful. Like Levitas said, it's not about pressing it lightly, but quickly. What separates a short hop from a full jump is whether or not the jump button (whatever you happen to be using for it) is still depressed when your character leaves the ground; if it is, it's a full jump, and if not, you get a short hop.

It's the same idea with the control stick - if it's still in "tap" position once your feet are off the ground, you'll full jump.

Idk how the wiichuk setup works exactly, but if you're going to use a button, you may prefer to sort of slide your nail diagonally across it rather than actually press it, and if it's the stick, then flick it rather than push it. Maybe that doesn't make any sense, lol, but that's how I figured out how to shorthop consistently.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
  • Change down on the D-Pad to jump
  • Whenever you want to shorthop aerial flick the corner of the down button as you slide your thumb over A to attack

Xyless

Smash Master
  • Change down on the D-Pad to jump
  • Whenever you want to shorthop aerial flick the corner of the down button as you slide your thumb over A to attack
This is what I did when I used the Wiimote/Nunchuk (don't anymore specifically thanks to Peach). It works extremely well.

Chuee

Smash Hero
It's probably like short hopping an aerial using L or R for jump. Im glad I don't play wolf or Ganon.
Try switching the jump controls around until you find one that works.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
I prefer not to use tap jump because it occasionally screws with my thundersliding. (jump off the ledge instead of sliding)

But thanks for the tips everyone, that down button to jump thing helped; i'm SHing more consistently now.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Ybm, the best Kirby player in the midwest, plays with wiimote and nunchuck. He placed better than Chudat (and beat Chudat) at Apex.

GC controller isn't necesary to be good.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Ybm, the best Kirby player in the midwest, plays with wiimote and nunchuck. He placed better than Chudat (and beat Chudat) at Apex.

GC controller isn't necesary to be good.
UltimateRazer one of the best in texas and one of the best snakes also uses wiimote & nunchuk. Wiimote & Nunchuk isn't bad, you just gotta get used to it.

heytallman

CTALL
Ultimate Razer is sick, and he's like, 8! I believe he's currently ranked 2nd best in TX, behind Dojo.

Just be glad you're not using just a wiimote. I can't stand classic controller either.

Top Bottom