• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
well, the power and AV will most likely have something in them >_>
and it doesn't matter if USBs get a little dust in them.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
They don't use the same jack in your computer, but the way they work might be the same. All you have to know is that they are solid state, meaning they don't use disks(SS is preferable in portable devices).

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
miniSD cards for phones have a thing you clip it into, which pretty much just makes the card bigger (into a regular sized SD card), then you put the now bigger card into a device which looks exactly like a USB flash drive. (As far as I know, regular SD cards also work in them) So they do use the same jack, they're both USB.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
ummm...don't SD cards look like this

and USB flash drives look like this:

It will take the ones on the bottom, not the top.

kaid

Smash Master
Fierce Deity Vegeta said:
I believe (the SD card slots) will be under the flap at the front.
I mean, c'mon, do you really think you're gonna have to pull the Rev out from whatever corner you've stashed it to change the memory card?

The front is MUCH better for memory applications.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
ChRed2AKrisp, did you read my last post? You put the SD card into a device (which uses USB to hook up to communicate with your computer) that looks exactly like a USB Flash Drive.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Oops...

the point still stands, what you're saying means you can use SD cards, just you have to pay more.

The Rev is supporting USB, it just happens you can throw SD in if you're willing to spend a little extra.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
BUMP

looks like we'll get some Revo screens before E3. At least for one game anyway.

Revolutionreport.com said:
Earlier today, Polish developer NIBRIS provided Revolution Report with an exclusive update on its Revolution projects.

According to NIBRIS' Project Manager Piotr Orlowski, the studio has been busy as of late preparing a demo of the DS Raid over the River for E3 in May. He also mentioned briefly that the Revolution version might make an appearance during the show in one form or another.

Orlowski could not confirm recent reports concerning the inexpensive nature of the Nintendo Revolution's SDK, but did say that they "are very happy that Nintendo thinks very reasonably about third-party developers."

Additionaly, he noted that although the team is working on Raid over the River, they are simultaneously developing the previously announced gothic-horror project, now under the working title of "Sadness." According to Orlowski, Sadness is "only for Revolution." Moreover, exclusive information and materials about this project will be provided to Revolution Report as soon as possible. First screens of Sadness will apparently be placed on NIBRIS' Web site towards the end of April.

Revolution Report will continue to keep you updated on the status of NIBRIS' titles.
how about that. I wonder if Nintendo's okay with this. THey'll still have a ton of titles and demos to showcase, but Rev graphics will be out ahead of time and proably detract from from the excitement of E3. Not by alot but alittle.

I'm really curious what the heck "sadness" is.

and for those of you who are wondering what Raid over the River is:

http://media.revolutionreport.com/image/ROTR1.jpg
http://media.revolutionreport.com/image/ROTR2.jpg
http://media.revolutionreport.com/image/ROTR3.jpg
http://media.revolutionreport.com/image/ROTR4.jpg
http://media.revolutionreport.com/image/ROTR5.jpg
http://media.revolutionreport.com/image/ROTR6.jpg

Until I saw this art I thought it was like a white water rapids simulator.

Nibris is starting to look like an awesome devolpment team, even though its still local and looking for applicants.

Nevermind, somescreen shots already came out.

those are pretty **** detailed. well, there goes my concern for what Revolution will be capable of.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Is Raid Etc. an RTS game? That's what it looks like from those screenshots.

Looks pretty cool. I'm not really worried about the graphics at all, so whatever.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
okay, disregard those screenshots.

they're not actually on the Rev since the new compnay didn't have an NRDK at the time, they're what the game will look like but done on the PC.

edit: huh? i thought i hit the edit button.

oh well, i've got two warning points. big ****ing deal.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Stop double posting. And yes, they are PC shots. The game is set for PC and the Rev as far as I've heard.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
according to NIBRIS its set for the DS and Rev. The first part of the story is on DS, the second is on Rev.
the reason there are PC shots, like I said, is because they haven't obtained an NRDK.

BUt since NIBRIS is set with a publisher and an NRDK, the screens of the "sadness" project at teh end of aprilwill be truly revolution quality.

this makes me wonder. I said earlier I thought it was strange Nintendo would let them display Rev images before E3. Maybe this means Iwata will have some screens or a video for show at GDC 06.(march I believe?)

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
ChRed2AKrisp said:
I really do think the Rev is using displacement mapping.
What the hell does that have to do with anything...displacement mapping is just a method of creating high detail geometry, a method of modelling, if you will. Placing a detailed displacement map on a model will actually change the geometry, and give it a higher polygon count, making it run much slower in a game.

Normal mapping, however, is what has been used a lot recently, with great effects. It is what is making all of the screenshots and stuff for the next gen games look so detailed and high poly, when reality they are not much better than games from the last couple of years. It involves making a high poly model, and converting it into a normal map that can be applied to a low poly version of the same model, in order to make it appear to be very detailed and high poly, which makes things run much much much much faster than having an actual high poly model.

Unless there is some new thing with displacement mapping, or people are just using the wrong terms (more likely), displacement mapping will NOT make a game better or faster or anything like that.

I think I have said this before.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
i was talking about the detail of graphics.

What displacement mapping does is take pressure off the GPU and puts it onto the CPU. The Problem is at its most basic form it requires a huge amount of processing. A while back someone found a way to make it more efficient but not enough to make it readily applicable.

Nintendo filed a patent in 2003 I believe in relation to displacement mapping, so people believe Nintendo found a way to make D mapping very efficient, and therefore display highly defined graphics without a lot of GPU or CPU power.

Oh and D mapping is done without Polygons I believe.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
If this is the same displacement mapping I use in 3dsMax, FDV is correct. FDV is right on the spot in everything in his post.

Zink

Smash Champion
yes, quite right. Has anyone seen Will Wright of Maxis (creators of the Sims games) give his speech at GDC? He showed off thi samazing game called Spore too but the point was they found a way to make everything much smaller, bitwise. They call it "procedural", as in "This enviroment is procedurally drawn." It means that there are a set of algorythmic rules that the games "draws conclusions" from to create everything. They said the had made a 3D game using this method that only took up 64k. Music, graphics, everything. If Nintendo would program like this it might take a lot of wieght off the CPU and the storage methods. Very cool.
BTW if you want to see that game, Spore, do a google video search for "spore gameplay video".

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
I edited the first post with a list of games currently announced for Rev along with an updated known facts listing.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Here's a little snippet from a french interview which sounds very interesting.

Advanced Media have obtained new details on an upcoming Revolution game called Sadness

"All I can say now is that it [Sadness] is going to be a gothic horror which will scare not with the amount of blood but sheer atmosphere. Imagine a game in which you do not use guns or knives but you will have to protect yourself with the objects you find exploring the ground – a stone, a stick, etc.”

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Dunno why, but the first thing that popped into my head when I read that was a horror version of Animal Crossing.

Zink

Smash Champion
LOL, And the guy makes puns when he kills a zombie. like when you catch a fish in AC? get it? oog. Maybe Sadness is the flashlight game we saw in that movie that showed the controller?

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Omnigamer said:
Dunno why, but the first thing that popped into my head when I read that was a horror version of Animal Crossing.
lol

Anyway, if the Rev's graphics live up to Iwata's promises, a gothic-horror game could easily scare with just the atmosphere. It's been possible to do that for a long time (I vividly remember getting the heebie-jeebies just from watching a Silent Hill trailer years ago.), but with more detailed environments, the effects would be heightened. A game like that would also be a radical departure just because of using the Remote.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
"You beat the Zombie Dog!"

"Hey, your bark IS worse than your bite!"

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Zink said:
Maybe Sadness is the flashlight game we saw in that movie that showed the controller?
Those were just tech demos, much the same that Spaceworld 2001 had only tech demos. None of the games in that revmote commercial were actual games.

Zink

Smash Champion
I believe the cooking game was announced. I think many of the tech demos were based on ideas in dev, or at least were a part of the games they represent.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Yes, a cook game was announced, but no, none of what was in the commercial was actual gameplay footage. Spaceworld 2001 had tech demos of a realistic Legend of Zelda game, a Metroid game that looked nothing like Prime ended up looking, and a Pokemon game featuring Meowth playing a guitar that never happened. It also featured a demo of what is believed to be Mario 128, which is STILL in production. The only real game that appeared in the demo was Luigi's Mansion, and that's because it was being released a mere several months later.

So yeah, the commercial doesn't feature anything more than ideas.

Zink

Smash Champion
Link is good, no brainwashing this time. :laugh:
Cool stuff, the motion sensor is a lot less apparent then I thought... I picturedtwo gig stands on each side of the TV or something...

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Toomin said:
Yes, a cook game was announced, but no, none of what was in the commercial was actual gameplay footage. Spaceworld 2001 had tech demos of a realistic Legend of Zelda game, a Metroid game that looked nothing like Prime ended up looking, and a Pokemon game featuring Meowth playing a guitar that never happened. It also featured a demo of what is believed to be Mario 128, which is STILL in production. The only real game that appeared in the demo was Luigi's Mansion, and that's because it was being released a mere several months later.

So yeah, the commercial doesn't feature anything more than ideas.
Actually, that was Spaceworld 2000. [/factoid] Luigi's Mansion was released over a year later.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Could've sworn it was from 2001.

Did they even do Spaceworld in 2001?

Regardless, Luigi's Mansion is the only game from the footage that actually came to pass. I just checked the trailer again, so I know. :)

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
';..;'

Zink said:
I believe the cooking game was announced. I think many of the tech demos were based on ideas in dev, or at least were a part of the games they represent.
sounds pretty sweet. i wonder if it will actually make me good enough to cook an egg. will it include real recipies? :confused: :urg:

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
commonyoshi said:
sounds pretty sweet. i wonder if it will actually make me good enough to cook an egg. will it include real recipies? :confused: :urg:
...You can't cook an egg? The only thing less complicated than eggs is freaking ramen.

Edit: You're older than me and you can't cook an egg? That is incredibly depressing.

Top Bottom