• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

byt

Smash Cadet
Perhaps new franchises aren't what is needed. Just new and innovative games that are a huge divergence from this current generation's obsession with sequals (just how many madden games are we going to have to endure here?).

This is probably why I have the most faith in Nintendo causing a pretty big revolution in gaming this next round. They are the only company with the balls to try something new and I think people need to respect them for it and try it out before passing bad judgement.

Not that the Xbox360 or PS3 are bad, but what is there really to look forward to on either system that is original or completely new? Graphics aren't new or original, its more of a natural progression as technology improves.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
byt said:
Perhaps new franchises aren't what is needed. Just new and innovative games that are a huge divergence from this current generation's obsession with sequals (just how many madden games are we going to have to endure here?).
Hehe, Madden games... gosh, that guy is a classic... I mean, he points out some of the dumbest most obvious things like...
"Heres a guy, who when he runs he moves faster!" or "Heres a guy, who when he puts on his contacts he can see better!" or "Heres a- Heres a- Heres- Heres a guy who when it eats a big meal hes gotta take a big dump later!"
But seriously, the game series is tired... I imagine they'll keep making them after hes dead and just use some complex algorithm to mimic his voice... such is life...

byt

Smash Cadet
Vir_Iratus said:
Hehe, Madden games... gosh, that guy is a classic... I mean, he points out some of the dumbest most obvious things like...
"Heres a guy, who when he runs he moves faster!" or "Heres a guy, who when he puts on his contacts he can see better!" or "Heres a- Heres a- Heres- Heres a guy who when it eats a big meal hes gotta take a big dump later!"
But seriously, the game series is tired... I imagine they'll keep making them after hes dead and just use some complex algorithm to mimic his voice... such is life...
But you understand my point, right? Since the first game EA released for this particular series, nothing new has been added. All that happens with each new 'installment' are roster changes/updates and maybe baby-steps progression all around. Then we have the almost insane number of movie-to-game titles. Not that all of these types of games are bad, but do we really need a game released with just about every potentially popular movie? Especially when the game, in whole, is lackluster in introducing any new kinds of gameplay elements.

I truely have to agree with Nintendo's current vision of the market. Its become more about volume of sales rather than having quality titles that are even creative or innovative. Think about it, if behemoths like EA and Activision are spending about 2 million for developing just one title we should at least see something that is truely creative, right? I'm not really sure how much it costs to make a blockbuster film, but if it costs 2 million to make such a film it shows and just about everyone that goes to see it comes away satisfied. I should expect this from EA et al as well.

IceDrake

Smash Apprentice
byt said:
Neither Kid Icarus or Earthbound are really well established franchises in the US. We only got one game out of the entire Mother series (Mother 2) and Kid Icarus...and a GB Kid Icarus game. Really, that's all there is for those two 'franchises'. Unless we get a localized version of Mother 1+2 and possibly Mother 3 when it gets released in Japan Spring 2006, these are probably nothing more than flash-in-the-pan games. Not that Earthbound was bad, I still love the game and I'm trying to get back a complete copy (box with game and guide).

I'm also not saying that new franchises are a must because I love all that they have available right now, just that some new ones wouldn't hurt. What we really need are franchises geared more for the US market or that are geared more towards 'older' gamers perhaps.

I'm fairly confident that this round of consoles will go well for Nintendo based on a lot of articles I've come across so far. And while it may seem like wishful thinking, I have a feeling Sony is going to have troubles this time around...at least these are my predictions.

All of my friends who have played SSB games always are more interested in Ness. He's the only character who hasn't been in a game for years. His appearences in SSB and SSBM certainly would boost sales of a new Earthbound.

KI should be done like an RPG similar to Kingdom Hearts. Nintendo could use a good RPG.

byt

Smash Cadet
IceDrake said:
All of my friends who have played SSB games always are more interested in Ness. He's the only character who hasn't been in a game for years. His appearences in SSB and SSBM certainly would boost sales of a new Earthbound.

KI should be done like an RPG similar to Kingdom Hearts. Nintendo could use a good RPG.
You can tell that Nintendo doesn't put too much focus on the Mother series seeing as how they'll be finally releasing Mother 3 for the GBA in Japan, Spring '06. RPGs seem to take a lot of time to develop.

As far as boosting sales, not really since Ness is the hero of Mother 2 while Ninten is the hero of Mother 1. I don't know much about the GBA Mother 3 since, from what I read, it is different than the N64 Mother 3 that was cancelled. There really isn't much that ties the only two Mother games together unless you want to delve into theories and such.

The games are just really off-the-wall RPGs since their settings are more modern day America rather than the typical medival or medival mixed with hi-tech setting. Hippies with toothbrushes are dangerous!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I know everyone is enjoying Mario Kart right now but I'll put this up anyway.

Revolution to feature parental control.

Nintendo announced today that its upcoming home videogame console, codenamed Revolution, will include a flexible play control system.

The system, which operates via password control, allows parents and other adults to determine the degree of "flexibility" that would be allowed for younger players in regard to more "mature" games. The system will also allow adult gamers to play without any restrictions.

Game software will be encoded with data that indicates the game's rating and will then be transmitted to the console's control system to determine whether the game will be playable or not based on the pre-set password preferences. Nintendo indicated that all Revolutions sold worldwide would be equipped with this feature.

According to Jim Merrick, Senior Marketing Director, Nintendo of Europe, the added feature will "encourage parents to take responsibility for the games their children play."
Also posted in Rev.Smash topic.

Masahiro Sakurai reveals that he is serving as a director and game designer on Super Smash Bros. for the Revolution.

Sakurai is known in most circles as the game designer responsible for the Super Smash Bros. series in the first place. He's also known for his work on the Kirby series and, most recently, as the creative force behind Q Entertainment's Meteos for the DS.

The real surprise for Sakurai came at this past E3, when Nintendo announced that Super Smash Bros. was in development for the Revolution and would be Wi-Fi compatible. Sakura had apparently heard nothing of the title at that point, although he was in attendance at the Nintendo press conference.

Sakurai's comments suggest that Super Smash Bros. may not be as far along in development as some had initially thought. At E3, Nintendo raised Smash Bros. for Revolution as an example of the Wi-Fi connection program that would kick off with the DS later in the year. Actual production hadn't begun at the time.
And this is another reason why I don't think the next Zelda is already being created. I could of course be wrong but sometimes companys announce things they have plans for as if they are already being created. As evidenced by the above it's just to get fans excited.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Like the site says though, just because they filed this patent doesn't mean they're required to use this, ever. They could file a different patent with a different idea later, and this one would be there just to provide options for them when it's time to decide and to cover all the bases so other companies don't patent it first, making Nintendo have to pay them.

However, it does look like a good setup, and I can't really think of any reason to change what they've got there. Just wanted to point out that that's not necessarily the setup for next year. :)

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gee, really? I thought they were DEFINITELY going to use that. I mean, seriously. It has to be set in stone!!!

What??! They might have a different idea? WAHTTTT??????????

lol, i know you meant well foxxy, but did you think i was that stupid?

then again, maybe i am. sorry i'm feeling a little Crazyyyy right now!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'm all for them using this but I know some people would hate it. There are some people who don't want graphics or charachters to be changed or added. They argue that it ruins games in the same way movies like StarWars have been ruined with changes. I'd be cautious about this though, Nintendo has patented and copyrighted things in the past that have gone nowhere.

...I wanna play as Yossi.

EDIT: I realized that I was mainly talking about point #4 so I just wanted to add that game modifying issues aside I don't see any reasons not to use this interface.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If they give the option of something new, I don't see what the deal is. Replacing something however may be a bit diferent.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's all about how the change is handled. For example, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for the GBC added a crapload of stuff to the original Mario Bros., yet it was all good!

But then compare that to Super Mario World on the GBA. The added voices were bad enough, but when Nintendo decided to make Luigi able to jump higher (making the game 10x easier), I think that's where you should draw the line.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
That's what I'm getting at. Adding new stuff like an extra level, a new main character, that's cool. Changing things, like Luigi's jump, making Wario player 2 instead of Luigi, that wouldn't be so good.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Giygas said:
But then compare that to Super Mario World on the GBA. The added voices were bad enough, but when Nintendo decided to make Luigi able to jump higher (making the game 10x easier), I think that's where you should draw the line.
I hated that on SMB3. When I played with another person using the gameboy player no one wanted to play as Luigi when we found out his jump was changed. It didn't make either SMB3 or easier for me but it made it more annoying for a second player. Like mic said additions seem to be better than changes.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
This just in, Rev's total unveiling.

Today, though, gamers got a definite date when Nintendo will absolutely, positively reveal the Revolution in all its glory. The Mario factory sent out a "save the date" e-mail this morning saying that in "a mere 165 days to go (give or take)" it will reveal "all the incredible details about Nintendo's upcoming games and hardware, including our next home console, code-named Revolution."

So when will be the Revolution's coming-out party? Unsurprisingly, it will be at next year's E3. Specifically, the console will be unveiled at Nintendo's pre-E3 press event, which is slated for 9:30 a.m. Pacific time on May 9, 2006. The venue will be the Kodak Theatre--home of the Academy Awards--in Hollywood, California.
Anyone else not particularly suprised we have to wait until E3?

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
IGN noted the interesting thing about that is that normally the company waits 'til the month before to announce their plans.

Not really that exciting, but us Nintendo fans will take anything we can get at this point.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
mic_128 said:
Anyone else not particularly suprised we have to wait until E3?
Me.We go for months without any info and then get a little something. Oh well, it's only a "mere" 165 days away.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
This has probably been brought up but I just have to share this possibility (I probably heard it from one of you guys, but here goes anyway):

Wouldn't it be awesome for the Rev's memory to come loaded with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt?

Reasons:

1. An ultimate dose of nostalgia (as the original NES came with this)
2. It would be a great way to kick off the download service at little or no cost to Nintendo
3. A bigger incentive to buy
4. Duck Hunt could work with the Rev controller as its light gun to show off how great it works, and SMB could use the d-pad and a/b buttons to show off how the Rev controller can be an NES controller if tilted sideways (and both would be playable without buying any controller extensions)

yeahhhhh!

I can dream.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well leave that to the launch games, obviously. I just think having SMB/Duck Hunt would be a really cool move by Nintendo to show off the "Virtual Console" aspect right out of the box and a way to reward early adopters.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
I'll be sure to fill ya'll in on how the Rev plays when I go to E3...mwahahaha! ^_<

And Giygas, I'm sure Nintendo will offer some free games to start. Whether or not they're included offline is anyone's guess, chi.

KiraYamato

Smash Journeyman
I dont know if this has been answered anywhere before but Ill ask anyway. Does anyone know if the downloadable games that revolution will offer be only nintendo published games or will we be able to download games from say capcom or square?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Kokichi, you're going to e3? you had better take some badass pictures or i'm gonna be very pissed.

lucky *******.

and KY, no one knows(i think). It just depends on the indvidual publishers, and who has the rights to the games. If capcom does want its games downloadable, or wants them set for higher prices, that's their choice. We'll probably get a full list at E3.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
KiraYamato said:
I dont know if this has been answered anywhere before but Ill ask anyway. Does anyone know if the downloadable games that revolution will offer be only nintendo published games or will we be able to download games from say capcom or square?
Yeah, like Krisp said, Nintendo hasn't really commented on third party games at all.

Also, Giy, that would be genius. The controller is perfectly adapted for both games.

Kokichi said:
And Giygas, I'm sure Nintendo will offer some free games to start. Whether or not they're included offline is anyone's guess, chi.
Well, not necessarily. No console has been launched with a game included in quite a long time, even a nostalgic, cheap game like Giy mentioned.

Also, why do you get to go to E3?

byt

Smash Cadet
McFox said:
Yeah, like Krisp said, Nintendo hasn't really commented on third party games at all.
Konami, Namco, and Capcom have given their support for Nintendo's back catalog on the Revolution. Its been a few weeks since I last read that bit of news, but those three have given the green light on their games of generations past. This was something I read on nrupdates.

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
To be quite honest, I don’t like the Nintendo Revolution being included in the “best console” race. I mean, Nintendo has been in last place for years. Nintendo doesn’t seem to try and be super competitive, but rather just want to make a good console with good games. Nintendo is kind of doing their own thing. It’s obvious that the PS3 and X-Box 360 will have better overall sales. (Well, the PS3 will……but the X-Box 360 has been a big disappointment from what I’ve heard.)

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
XBox has been outselling GC here, but GC has been outselling XBox in Japan. But just like the DS is pulling in people who aren't normally gamers (and selling millions), the Revolution might just do the same thing.

And byt, that's good to hear about the third parties. I didn't know they had commented on the situation yet.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Yeah, I knew the Rev had third party support for next-gen gaming, but i didn't assume that also mean backwards gaming until now.

an McFox, why the new avatar, the old one...made sense...but now...PARASECT?

byt

Smash Cadet
Sephiroth27 said:
To be quite honest, I don’t like the Nintendo Revolution being included in the “best console” race. I mean, Nintendo has been in last place for years. Nintendo doesn’t seem to try and be super competitive, but rather just want to make a good console with good games. Nintendo is kind of doing their own thing. It’s obvious that the PS3 and X-Box 360 will have better overall sales. (Well, the PS3 will……but the X-Box 360 has been a big disappointment from what I’ve heard.)
Nintendo has been very clear with their strategy this coming round. Their biggest obstacle is getting people to play the revolution because of the new controller. I'm sure most people will shun it at first because its different and people don't usually like change, but if there are some really great "killer apps" for the system right from the start it could work out very well (I read a suggestion by some news source that they should have ~30-40 launch titles which I don't think is really feasible given Nintendo's current launch strategy...30 might be a possibility, but 40 is very unlikely).

As far as people being dissapointed with the Xbox 360, what is being said? The PS3 is pretty much the same thing (in terms of functions and so forth) so I don't see what would make the PS3 any better. Yeah, it might have slightly prettier graphics, but its really no different than the Xbox 360 or my PC. It has nothing that is innovative or truely unique. What surprises me is that people actually want it. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm sure there will be a fair share of good/decent titles. Most of them will be sequals or updates in the case of sports titles. That and the price will be fairly steep aside from the console, peripherals, and games. Development costs will be enormous and not to mention difficult (at first any way).

I really think Sony is setting themselves up for disaster this next generation. If the average sum of people that bought a 360 aren't impressed, is there any reason it will be different with the PS3?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
ChRed2AKrisp said:
an McFox, why the new avatar, the old one...made sense...but now...PARASECT?
Nope, just regular ole' Paras. The reason of course being that Paras is the coolest Pokemon ever.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
byt said:
but if there are some really great "killer apps" for the system right from the start it could work out very well (I read a suggestion by some news source that they should have ~30-40 launch titles which I don't think is really feasible given Nintendo's current launch strategy...30 might be a possibility, but 40 is very unlikely).
I think 30 is still strecthing it. 20, maybe. The 360 has 18 launch titles and most people are saying it's featured some better launch games than past consoles. Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong but Nintendo has had less finalized dev kits out for a shorter period of time than Microsoft with the 360. Coming up with even 20 games may be difficult. But it is supposedly similar to the Gamecube so that may not be a problem.

byt said:
Most of them will be sequals or updates in the case of sports titles.
In all fairness though, what has been confirmed for the Revolution and what are people looking forward to? Mario, Metroid, Zelda and Super Smash Bros among others. Obviously, the Revolution leaves itself open for some new series but what system doesn't?

byt said:
I really think Sony is setting themselves up for disaster this next generation. If the average sum of people that bought a 360 aren't impressed, is there any reason it will be different with the PS3?
I'm really not that knowledgeable on the 360 so I can't say what the general concensus is but early reports seem to be pretty positive. Wether opinions are positive or not there are reasons that the PS3 will (or may) be different.

First the PS and PS2 had a longer life than rival machines, I think it's safe to say the same will hold true for the PS3. A console that will have a life of 6 or more years is more appealing than one with a life of 5 or less.

While many people make fun of the fact that the PS3 has so many add-ons it really does give the system alot of potential. And, while Sony may not have the ginormous catalog of games Nintendo does it has it's fair share of titles to offer and it could do so in the same way the Revolution will. Dowloadable Final Fantasy VII anyone?

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
Chill said:
And, while Sony may not have the ginormous catalog of games Nintendo does it has it's fair share of titles to offer and it could do so in the same way the Revolution will. Dowloadable Final Fantasy VII anyone?
I doubt it. That would be kinda over doing it since its supposed to be backwards compatible up to the PS1.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
I would think not in the case of FFVII. You can't buy that game anywhere in Australia, so if I was to get a PS3, Final Fantasy VII would be the first game I'd want to dowload. But hey, I'm still gonna get a Revolution so it doesn't really make a difference.

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
McFox said:
Nope, just regular ole' Paras. The reason of course being that Paras is the coolest Pokemon ever.
Then you should change your name to "McParas." Which would suck. Or just go back to the old avatar everyone knows and loves...

On topic, I know that many Nintendo loyalists (fanboys) will buy it because of returning franchises like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Smash, but that won't necessarily appeal to other gamers. Nintendo alluded to there being one more big secret to the Revolution that will be revealed (at E3?), and this really has to blow people away for it to be a success. Otherwise, I think Nintendo will struggle with its new system. Maybe they could sell some sort of deal, like the Revolution w/the new Mario for only $20 more. I don't know...it just seems to me that the Revolution won't appeal to the majority of gamers at the moment.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
mic_128 said:
PS3 aren't doing dloadable games.
I said could, not will.

forblaze71 said:
I would think not in the case of FFVII. You can't buy that game anywhere in Australia, so if I was to get a PS3, Final Fantasy VII would be the first game I'd want to dowload. But hey, I'm still gonna get a Revolution so it doesn't really make a difference.
Exactly.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
There's a high possibility of sega support for the Revolution downloadables. I think that's awesome. They used to be such huge rivals but both companies seem to care more about creating good games rather than profits.

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
Well, the controller for the Revolution is going to be two different things. It will be the new thing that they are doing, you know, separate joystick and all. BUT, they are also having a regular controller. It looks like a wavebird. You put the remote control in the middle of it. That controller will be used for games like SSBM, whereas the other style will be used for first person shooters, sports games, etc.

smilingmadman

Smash Apprentice
Sephiroth27 said:
BUT, they are also having a regular controller. It looks like a wavebird.
That controller design hasn't been confirmed OR even suggested by Nintendo. The mock-ups you may have seen were dreamed up by gaming magazines, not revealed by Nintendo. Sure, there IS gonna be a controller shell that slips over the remote, but it won't necessarily look anything like the GameCube controller.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
smilingmadman said:
That controller design hasn't been confirmed OR even suggested by Nintendo. The mock-ups you may have seen were dreamed up by gaming magazines, not revealed by Nintendo. Sure, there IS gonna be a controller shell that slips over the remote, but it won't necessarily look anything like the GameCube controller.
Actually Miyamoto said "We’ve got something that would be very similar in style and form to the Wave Bird already complete." Yea the mockups were from gamin magazines, but chances are it will be very similar to that.

Top Bottom