• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Donkey Dong said:
As far as I've heard the Revoultion is not the final name for it.
Yeah, I know but you said "we don't even know the name of this one yet". By saying "this one" I figured you were refering to the Revolution and that would have meant you thought the name Fusion was for Nintendo's next console after the Revolution. Not really anything important I just wanted to clear that up.

vidjogamer said:
Anyway, Nintendo said that there will be more surprises other than the controller. What do you all think they might be?
I don't know some games maybe?

On the subject of the Nintendo Fusion Tour, do those things actaully work?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Once again, its Q3 or Q4 2006.

Beogulfer, Nintendo 21 doesn't exist. Someone submitted sommething a while back like last year claiming thay knew had been at a shareholder's meeting and gotten informtion on the Rev. They called it the Nintendo 21 and then outlined a controller and console. They were nothing at all like the controller we have now, or the console. NINTENDO 21 does not exist.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Just a bit of news from Jim Merrik of NOE

The DS USB wireless adaptor will be available on November 25th for 39.95 € ($AU64, £27). It will also be compatible with the Revolution.

Revolution will launch worldwide within 14 weeks maximum, effectively meaning that it will launch in every region in the same quarter (currently, Q3 2006 is speculated - Ed).

Multiplayer mode for the Revolution will be similar to the DS - multiple players with only one copy of the game.

You will be able to download retro games from any region - European gamers will be able to play games like Super Mario RPG and Sin & Punishment.

When played on the Revolution, Nintendo 64 games will have improved framerates, but not significantly enhanced graphics.

No Revolution games will be shown in 2005. Merrick says that "We want to wait until everything is ready, and when we show the Revolution's titles for the first time, they will be playable with the final system."

There won't be any significant differences in the graphics of Revolution compared to the other systems.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Revolution will launch worldwide within 14 weeks maximum, effectively meaning that it will launch in every region in the same quarter (currently, Q3 2006 is speculated - Ed).
I'm thinking a June release for the Revolution. But that might just be wishful thinking. At least the're being realistic about a "worlwide" release. I still don't think Australia will be included but I'm fine with being wrong.

I'm curious though about multiple players with one game pack. How will that encourage other people to buy a game like SSB if they only want to play against their friend who already has the game?

I also think there will be a noticeable difference in graphics even if it's not a hugely noticeable difference. Nintendo themselves did say the Revolution would be less powerful than the other consoles.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I'd imagine that the difference would be something like PS2 and XBox are at now. PS2's capable of some great graphics, but XBox really pushes the limit.

Also, with the multiple games on one game-pack thing, I think it works like this: people have Revolutions, and friends buy separate games from each other and just link them up to play. However, they're not content just waiting to be at their friend's house to get good at a game, so they end up buying it too so that they can compete. Plus, Nintendo's always been about cheap, family fun. They want to encourage the idea of not having to buy a ton of stuff (FF:CC not withstanding) in order to have a good time with their console.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
They said their system wouldn't be as powerful, but they gave a reasonable analogy for what they meant. It used to be that horsepower was all that mattered in cars, but it doesn't matter now if you add more horses to a car, because you've already got enough in there to make it go fast, and so now we have to tweak and work on the other parts of the car that would make it go faster, faster. In the case of cars, you want low end torque, which would give you the fastest acceleration, making you utilize the horsepower quicker. It works similarly with consoles and computers. With a computer, you can have 3 gigs of RAM and a 3.2 Ghz processor, and it will be able to run and compute normal computer stuff like nobody's business, but if you don't have a good graphics card in there, the best game you're going to play will probably be something low end, like Diablo 2 or Ultima Online. The "power" that I think Nintendo is admitting to have less of would most likely fall under the AMOUNT of RAM it has and its processor "speed," but I'm still curious to see how their trump card plays out. You might think "less processor speed means its worse right?" but really, its the processor itself that matters more. AMD processor for example have different types of processor that are a part of the same generation. They have the AMD Sempron, and the AMD Athlon XP. They both can run at the same speed, but computer geeks/gamers know the Athlon XP is the performance brand, and would rather go with it over the Sempron. We have yet to see some of the key components of the Revolution at work is all I'm saying, and even though it might have less "power," I think it will perform very close to the PS3 and XBox 360. I've already played a demo of an XBox 360 game, and frankly, I'm not all that impressed. Its very similar to current console capabilities, so if anything, the Revolution should be right on par with everyone else in the graphics field.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Vir_Iratus I want you do do something. Look at my post and more specifically look at what I said regarding graphics. McFox responded to that with this.

McFox said:
I'd imagine that the difference would be something like PS2 and XBox are at now. PS2's capable of some great graphics, but XBox really pushes the limit.
Basically what I was thinking but didn't specify.

You then responded with this very long post only in the end to say exactly what I was saying in the first place. "I think there will be a noticeable difference in graphics even if it's not hugely noticeable."

Miyamoto in an interview with Business Week Online:
Miyamoto likened creating hit videogames to the intuitive, pick-up-and-play design of the Rubik's Cube and told the publication that the arrival of 3D graphics with PlayStation and Nintendo 64 have been, at least up until now, the biggest recent innovation in videogames.

The figurehead once more dismissed the notion that Nintendo only designs games for kids. "We want our games to be for anyone from five to 95 years-old," he said. "We disagree with people who say, 'Nintendo is for kids, Sony is for adults.'"

Speaking about Revolution, Miyamoto reiterated the Big N's hope that entire families will play with the machine. "Most people think videogames are all about a child staring at a TV with a joystick in his hands. I don't. They should belong to the entire family. I want entire families to play together. That was the concept behind Revolution."

Asked what he thought videogames would be like in the future, Miyamoto suggested removing what has always been a key ingredient for the medium: televisions. "It's convenient to make games that are played on TVs," he said. "But I always wanted to have a custom-sized screen that wasn't the typical four-cornered cathode-ray-tube TV. I've always thought that games would eventually break free of the confines of a TV screen to fill an entire room. But I would rather not say anything more about that."
I think he should stop discriminating against the 96 year olds.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
Chill said:
Vir_Iratus I want you do do something. Look at my post and more specifically look at what I said regarding graphics. McFox responded to that with this.

Basically what I was thinking but didn't specify.

You then responded with this very long post only in the end to say exactly what I was saying in the first place. "I think there will be a noticeable difference in graphics even if it's not hugely noticeable."
Thank you captain obvious... So I elaborated and led up to the same conclusion, giving an analogy and a plausible reason with WHY the Revolution could be on par with the next generation. Some people aren't swayed by simply an "I Think" argument, makes it sound like you don't know what you're talking about. Not that we're arguing over anything here, since we all obviously agree on the future quality of the Revolution in comparison to the other next gen consoles, but it still sounds like you are unsure or don't know what you're talking about when you start a scentence with "I think." [sarcasm]Heaven forbid I should ever try to elaborate on anything you say ever again, or else you may attempt to insult me again.[/sarcasm]

Chill said:
I think he should stop discriminating against the 96 year olds.
Agreed, but if there is anything Nintendo has done noteworthy, its that they certainly have drawn in some of the coolest 94 and 93 year old gamers I've ever known!

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Here's a cool tidibit relating to the Revolution launch, posted on the GameHelix boards:

"Nintendo is aiming for a MAY Release date! This is official news straight from Nintendo! Nintendo wants to show off the hardware in May and launch the system worldwide the same month. This is as much of a marketing tactic as it is designed to give time for the developers to complete the games. "There is one more secret left" say Reggie Fils-Aime. "That secret will be shown to the world at E3 in May of 2006. Then everyone will understand the reason behind the controller's design and its capabilities." Mr. Fils-Aime stressed the importance of consumers needing to see the Revolution in action to truly understand it. Furthermore he feels that once the Revolution is shown in its entirety that it will generate a gaming mania and that it is very important to launch the product soon thereafter to capitalize on the excitement. What is the big secret? Your guess is as good as any. I guess we will have to wait until E3 next year to find out. Look for an update for this story with an exact day in May as soon as it is available."

Probably fake, but we can dream, can't we?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Vir_Iratus said:
Thank you captain obvious...
You're mean.
Vir_Iratus said:
Some people aren't swayed by simply an "I Think" argument, makes it sound like you don't know what you're talking about.
Vir_Iratus said:
I think it will perform very close to the PS3 and XBox 360.
It doesn't sound like you know what your talking about.
Vir_Iratus said:
but it still sounds like you are unsure or don't know what you're talking about when you start a scentence with "I think."
Of course I'm not sure what the graphics on the Revolution will be like. I haven't seen them! Of course I don't know the "power" of the Revolution, it's specs have not been released. I use "I think" because I'm expressing my opinion.
Vir_Iratus said:
[sarcasm]Heaven forbid I should ever try to elaborate on anything you say ever again, or else you may attempt to insult me again.[/sarcasm]
I did not attempt to insult you. You're just easily offended.
Vir_Iratus said:
Agreed, but if there is anything Nintendo has done noteworthy, its that they certainly have drawn in some of the coolest 94 and 93 year old gamers I've ever known!
Are you sure you want to agree with that? I did after all began that sentence with "I think." According to you that means I'm unsure and unkowing.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Excuse me babies, but the point is still there. They will have similar graphics. Can we **** well move on?

When did they announce this Giygas?

EDIT: Some news.
The good folks at Eurogamer are reporting that Jim Merrick, senior director of marketing for Nintendo Europe, has recently dropped a bombshell in an interview with Dutch magazine [N]Gamer, claiming that, "Regarding the specifications [of Revolution], we will probably never 'release' this information as we feel that it is largely irrelevant."

Merrick took it one step further too, taking the obligatory jab at Sony and Microsoft: "While some of our competitors enjoy comparing specifications, it has little or nothing to do with how satisfied the consumers will be with the system and the games once they are released." Ouch. "I know people are hungry for information on Revolution and we respect and appreciate that, but we don't want to contribute to the cloud of meaningless information that surrounds the next generation systems."

But that wasn't all. Merrick assured the magazine that the next generation's big titles - Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Smash Brothers - were all working their way down development road quite nicely. He also reaffirmed that not all Revolution titles would use the remote control of doom, either, with the 'expansion controller' (conventional controller, for you kids playing at home) playing a pivotal role in many games.

"This option is there for new games that will be created that are most suited to a traditional style of controller. We are not trying to say that the ‘traditional’ controller design is not valid, in fact Nintendo is responsible for most of the features that are found on today’s traditional controllers," he stated.

Wrapping up the discussion, Merrick threw in a final tidbit - Revolution will use game-sharing technology akin to the DS, meaning that not all players will have to have a copy of the game to play it online. Handy.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
"GameHelix, a video game news toolbar available for download is stating they're received exclusive information directly from Nintendo regarding the Revolution's launch. They claim it will drop next May, worldwide and will include "one last secret" that "will be shown to the world at E3" this apparently quoted by NOA's Reggie Fils-Aime. He was also quoted as saying that everyone will then "understand the reason behind the controller's design and its capabilities."

Fact or Fiction? We're going with fiction on this one for the following reasons.

GameHelix is in need of marketing to encourage gamers to download it's toolbar. This should do it. Last line in the release: "If you don't have the GAMEHELIX toolbar chances are [you] have no clue about this information."
Sounds doubtful that they would be the only ones to get an "exclusive interview."
Only Nintendo can stop the speculation, that while fun, is getting a bit old. But hey, what would Infendo be without a little speculation and who knows, maybe this could be legit? Until confirmed from a more reliable source though, take it with a ginormous grain of salt."

http://infendo.blogspot.com/2005/10/gamehelix-revolution-gets-may-launch.html

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
mic_128 said:
Wrapping up the discussion, Merrick threw in a final tidbit - Revolution will use game-sharing technology akin to the DS, meaning that not all players will have to have a copy of the game to play it online. Handy.
I'm guessing he meant LAN, not online. I understand sharing information locally, but not when playing online.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
mic_128 said:
Excuse me babies
HaHa. Babies. You are so funny.

Some Nintendo news:
At Nintendo's press summit Reggie talked Nintendo's plans for the future and how the Revolution ties in to them.

Reggie spoke about the need to "disrupt" the marketplace. He went on about the number of gamers going down and profits decreasing. He talked about not doing the same thing that got you success in the first place.

Nintendo is definately headed in the right direction but I think(oops) they are partially blind to what is needed. When speaking of the Revolution you usually hear "Mario is coming, Zelda will follow blah blah.." I almost cringe when I hear "imagine what Zelda will be like with this controller." The real innovation is not going to come from existing franchises becuase fans only want so much to be different. Rather then giving us an update to past games Nintendo needs new franchises to ring in this new form of gaming. Let those other games take a supporting role don't let them become the main attraction.

So yeah...you can find the full transcript for the Nintendo Summit at IGN.

byt

Smash Cadet
Chill said:
Nintendo is definately headed in the right direction but I think(oops) they are partially blind to what is needed. When speaking of the Revolution you usually hear "Mario is coming, Zelda will follow blah blah.." I almost cringe when I hear "imagine what Zelda will be like with this controller." The real innovation is not going to come from existing franchises becuase fans only want so much to be different. Rather then giving us an update to past games Nintendo needs new franchises to ring in this new form of gaming. Let those other games take a supporting role don't let them become the main attraction.
The sad thing is that Nintendo is best known for these franchises, not that they are bad in my opinion. Some new ones couldn't hurt, but its a very risky decision from a business stand point and the repercussions, should the attempt(s) fail, could be dire. Admittedly, Mario is becoming an abused icon.

At this point it all boils down to the old saying, "Easier said than done." And since none of us are privy to what the Revolution is fully capable of doing yet, its difficult to imagine some new kind of property that would prove to be really succesful in the market...especially something that were to drive Sony and MS mad (something akin to Nintendogs).

IceDrake

Smash Apprentice
byt said:
The sad thing is that Nintendo is best known for these franchises, not that they are bad in my opinion. Some new ones couldn't hurt, but its a very risky decision from a business stand point and the repercussions, should the attempt(s) fail, could be dire. Admittedly, Mario is becoming an abused icon. .
I don't think Nintendo needs to make new franchises. They need to bring back some old ones. Kid Icarus and Earthbound for example. Also the return of a DK platformer WITHOUT bongos would be nice.

BETA

Smash Ace
Drake: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat was a very fine game, rated about 4.5/5, 9/10, and the like from most sources. If you aren't going to play old franchises because of a renovation or change of pace, you'll be very disappointed with the Revolution, since there will definitely be changes to a lot of their franchises.

People need to learn that change isn't always bad. If you don't buy games like Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, we'll all wind up getting nothing more than an upgrade or rehash of previous games each generation.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
More rumors:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...ND&d=ptxt&s1=nintendo&OS=nintendo&RS=nintendo

That patent was originally filed by Nintendo last year but quietly renewed this year on September 13, 2005, days after the Tokyo Game Show:

"An existing video game system is modified to include additional communication and storage capability via a modem and hard disk drive. In accordance with one embodiment of the present invention, the primary system security features are incorporated into a video game system expansion device having a hard disk drive."

"IG. 1A is a perspective view of a presently preferred embodiment of the present invention showing an exemplary video game system 50 connected to a communications and bulk media expansion device 95. In the present exemplary embodiment, the video game system 50 may, for example, be the commercially available Nintendo 64 Video Game System. It should be recognized that the present invention is not limited to use with this exemplary video game system but rather may be adapted for use with a wide range of existing video game systems. Additionally, although the present invention is illustratively described using an add-on expansion device, it is contemplated that the enhanced video game system described herein may alternatively be packaged in a common integrated housing and sold as a single unit."

While the article cites the Nintendo 64 for example and does have some features of the 64DD (Disk Drive), it would seem that this just might be a patent for a Revolution hard drive. Certainly it would make sense to have something to store all those games on! Can't wait to find out, either way...

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
Nintendo has already stated that it will use 512 MB of Flash memory as its storage medium, meaning it won't use a hard drive of any kind. The only way it could be for a Revolution hard drive is if they are changing plans at this point in the game, something I highly doubt considering all the preparations and plans that have been made thus far. They have probably already made contracts with their storage suppliers, meaning if they changed it, they would have to suffer whatever penalties were laid out in their contract. It could be, however, for some other product they have in development. Who knows, but as far as this rumor goes, its most likely false. It is possible they are referring to their storage medium loosely as a hard drive, without the technical implications of a spinning magnetic disc inside the machine. The patent website did mention a lot of jargon about security of downloaded games and a physical data handler that would be "physically disposed within the expansion device housing as close as possible to the hard disk drive." It sounds to me that the patent could be for the security encryption device, one that, if duplicated, could cause legal suits against whoever attempts to recreate Nintendo's encryption system. Thats all the speculation I can afford to type for now, but nonetheless, the patent raises some interesting questions.

IceDrake

Smash Apprentice
BETA said:
Drake: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat was a very fine game, rated about 4.5/5, 9/10, and the like from most sources. If you aren't going to play old franchises because of a renovation or change of pace, you'll be very disappointed with the Revolution, since there will definitely be changes to a lot of their franchises.

People need to learn that change isn't always bad. If you don't buy games like Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, we'll all wind up getting nothing more than an upgrade or rehash of previous games each generation.
My friend got Jungle Beat and I played it. I found it to be too easy and it got boring really quickly. The gameplay of a franchise doesn't have to be drastically changed to still be appealing. Look at Mario Sunshine. I found it to be a very entertaining game and it still played like its predecessor.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Club Nintendo members in Japan can now recieve a remote control replica of the revolution controller. To earn the remote members have to have a platinum membership wich can be earned by buying 10 new GBA games or 7 GC games within a year. A calendar also comes with the remote.

The remote only works for tvs and has zero gaming function but it would be kinda cool to get your hands on a revolution "controller".

100th post. yay for me.

IceDrake

Smash Apprentice
On a similar note, I don't know if this was posted and I don't feel like going through 69 pages to find out.

You can copy the picture, paste it on Word and then print it out. Assemble and you get an actual size (maybe a little off) Revolution controller.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Europe first?

Now another executive is saying that the Revolution might not even launch in Japan. Nintendo Europe senior vice president of marketing Jim Merrick told Eurogamer that the US, or even Europe, may get the Japanese-made console first.

"We're very serious about trying to be a more global company and not follow the stereotypical formula of Japan first, then the US, then Europe some time later," Merrick told Eurogamer. "Anything's possible. There are no rules that it must be Japan or US first."

Such a move would be very un-Nintendolike. The Kyoto-based company is well-known for taking care of its countrymen first, then sharing the wealth with other regions later. Whereas Nintendo has slipped in popularity in the US and Europe, it still holds a rabid fan base in Japan.
Regardless of who gets the Revolution first, the company is making an effort to see that it goes global faster than any other Nintendo console before it.

"With DS, we were 14 weeks, which was the tightest Nintendo has ever been with a console launch, and that was an achievement," said Merrick. "But with Revolution, we expect to do better than that. That certainly is our goal."
Japan will more than likely get the console first, but I think to let the other countries recieve the console first for once would be good for Nintendo's image. It would be a good way to show that they still care, considering that we don't get half as much cool stuff as Japan does.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
IceDrake said:
On a similar note, I don't know if this was posted and I don't feel like going through 69 pages to find out.

You can copy the picture, paste it on Word and then print it out. Assemble and you get an actual size (maybe a little off) Revolution controller.
Or you could just pick up your TV remote. Or not care.

The real TV remote one sounds cool though. That's Japan for you.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Chill said:
Japan will more than likely get the console first, but I think to let the other countries recieve the console first for once would be good for Nintendo's image. It would be a good way to show that they still care, considering that we don't get half as much cool stuff as Japan does.
Yeah, launching somewhere besides Japan seems hugely unlikely. However, less than a 14 week difference is pretty good. I'd imagine Japan and the US won't be far apart (maybe a few weeks), with PAL regions making up the rear (as usual) sometime within that 14 week span.

And I wish we had Club Nintendo here.

IceDrake

Smash Apprentice
Fierce Deity Vegeta said:
Or you could just pick up your TV remote. Or not care.

The real TV remote one sounds cool though. That's Japan for you.
Unless you have a TV remote that's about 1x1x6, it won't be the same.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
McFox said:
And I wish we had Club Nintendo here.
We used to way back when. In fact I know someone who still has his club Nintendo membership card. His member number is like 000003.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
The DS launched like 2 weeks or something later in Japan after the US.

Edit: Crap Cashed just beat me to it lol.

byt

Smash Cadet
IceDrake said:
I don't think Nintendo needs to make new franchises. They need to bring back some old ones. Kid Icarus and Earthbound for example. Also the return of a DK platformer WITHOUT bongos would be nice.
Neither Kid Icarus or Earthbound are really well established franchises in the US. We only got one game out of the entire Mother series (Mother 2) and Kid Icarus...and a GB Kid Icarus game. Really, that's all there is for those two 'franchises'. Unless we get a localized version of Mother 1+2 and possibly Mother 3 when it gets released in Japan Spring 2006, these are probably nothing more than flash-in-the-pan games. Not that Earthbound was bad, I still love the game and I'm trying to get back a complete copy (box with game and guide).

I'm also not saying that new franchises are a must because I love all that they have available right now, just that some new ones wouldn't hurt. What we really need are franchises geared more for the US market or that are geared more towards 'older' gamers perhaps.

I'm fairly confident that this round of consoles will go well for Nintendo based on a lot of articles I've come across so far. And while it may seem like wishful thinking, I have a feeling Sony is going to have troubles this time around...at least these are my predictions.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm really not quite getting all the fervor (read: obsession) concerning a Kid Icarus update, myself. How many of you have ever even played the game? I can't imagine more than a handful. I guess the formula is that if it's an old NES game that Nintendo created then it must be remade! Same goes for Balloon Fight and a Stanley the Bug Man game!!

The only remote possibility I could find for wanting an update to Kid Icarus is the rumor that Nintendo was going to revive Capcom's cancelled Dead Phoenix project as the new Kid Icarus. But it would seem that the interest in that wasn't Kid Icarus; rather, it was in Dead Phoenix itself, because that game looked like it would kick all kinds of ass.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I have played Kid Icarus, and it definitely leaves room for remake improvement. Balloon Fight, maybe not so much. I can't really imagine a 3D Balloon Fight being tons of fun. On the other hand, KI could be an incredible game if remade properly.

Top Bottom