• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
no, you would just tilt it to the left or right, doing an acutal barrel roll with the controller wouldn't work. you'd either have to flipit with one hand with your fingers(taking a while) rotate it with both hands(also slow and awkward) or thwo, spin and catch, inaccurate as well as a risk of dropping it.

kaid

Smash Master
From what I understand, the tilt-sensitivity will fall into Pitch,(wrist tilt up/down) Yaw, (wrist tilt left/right) and Roll. (forearm twist left/right) (examples assume elbow rests on knee, and controller does not move sideways at all)

The traditional "Joystick" motions would be Pitch and Roll- therefore these should control the Arwing normally. IMO, however, mixing Roll and Yaw has the feeling of pushing the controlls "all the way over." (make a fist and try the motions. Yes, right now.)
Therefore, again IMO, Yaw should be the combined sharp-turn/barrel roll control. (yawing while flying straight would roll in that direction, w/o turning, while mixing roll and yaw would be a sharp turn.

Either the D-pad could be used for loops and 180s, or you could use your free hand, grab the bottom of the controller, and actually use those "useless" NES buttons. Crazy idea, I know, but it's not like you are using that hand for anything...

(insert comment on Krystal and uses of a free hand here, and ignore said comment)

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
Cashed said:
How about actually spinning the controller (in a barrelroll style) instead of hitting right or left on the d-pad. Oh man. The possibilities.
Peppy: "Fox, do a barrel roll by throwing your controller in the air and spinning it!"

*Little kid attempts to throw and spin controller, except instead of catching it, he drops it and the thing breaks. Fox's ship goes crazy on the screen, doing barrel rolls and flips like crazy*

Peppy: "!@#$IT FOX! DID YOU DROP THE !@#%%@$'N REMOTE AGAIN!"

Sorry, I know you were kidding, but that was the scenario that played out in my mind. Just imagining a little kid gettin' yelled at by an old rabbit... priceless...

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Maybe if they (re)remake Twin Snaked for Revolution phsycho mantis could be all
"Now close your eyes while the controller hoverds in the air and probes your face"

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Vir_Iratus said:
Peppy: "Fox, do a barrel roll by throwing your controller in the air and spinning it!"

*Little kid attempts to throw and spin controller, except instead of catching it, he drops it and the thing breaks. Fox's ship goes crazy on the screen, doing barrel rolls and flips like crazy*

Peppy: "!@#$IT FOX! DID YOU DROP THE !@#%%@$'N REMOTE AGAIN!"

Sorry, I know you were kidding, but that was the scenario that played out in my mind. Just imagining a little kid gettin' yelled at by an old rabbit... priceless...
I can imagine it now... :laugh:

kaid

Smash Master
(I meant ignore the childish inuendo at the end of my post, not ignore my entire post. Seriously, I thought that last bit would be a major flamebait.)

-------------------------------------------
The following are my listing of all the controlls I see on the Rev Nunchaku, and a simple shorthand for them. If a mod likes it, feel free to steal for Page one- It would be nice if we could all understand what we're telling each other.

A button- the big round green one w/ an A on it.
B button- the Trigger
C(v,<,>,or^) is the Control stick on the Nunchaku
D(v,<,>,or^) is the D-pad.

T(^,v,<,>,\,/) is the Revoutionary Tilt sensitivity (pitch, yaw and roll, explained below)
- Pitch(v),(^) is Tilting the controller by bending your wrist up or down.
- Yaw(<),(>) is Tilting the controler by flexing your wrist left or right.
- Roll(\),(/) is Rotating the controller, by twisting your wrist clockwise or counterclockwise.

Z1/Z2
Start/select/home
NES a/b buttons
---------------------------------

Anyway, back on topic, I forgot about boost and break in my last post. If they do go the 1-hand route, then they'll bring back the 64's C-buttons as the D-pad. (I think it was: up boosts, down breaks, left and right are flip and 180) I also think that B should be lasers, w/ A being bombs, but that could be argured either way.

If the go for a full Assault-style gameplay, (and the only serious complaint I've heard about it was that it was too short) you'd need the additional in-plane controlls of landing and possibly Eject/Stand on Arwing. Possibly the NES buttons?

I am, of course, limiting myself to arwing controls- once you get into something else, it's not a flight sim anymore. (although using the Rev controller for the Landmaster's turret might be interesting...)

Tempest 01

Smash Journeyman
Erm, if the wireless pointer doens't have a top (i am assuming), twirling the controller would not really register. the pointer would just be registered as moving up, which could screw you up. But, overall, this is definetly an awsome idea.

Vir Iratus: *Peppy jumps out of the tv and stragnles the kid* That popped up randomely.

I jus know cashed is gonna bash me agin...

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
there are to recievers for the controller right? u put them on the side or top and bottom of your TV......well what if you have alot of TV is a small area? do those little recievers have channels?

help me out plz.

kaid

Smash Master
Tempest 01 said:
Erm, if the wireless pointer doens't have a top (i am assuming), twirling the controller would not really register.
Wireless pointer? what are you talking about?

The Tilt function uses imbedded gyros in the controller. It's not a light-gun.

EDIT: or is there something I missed?

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
Tempest 01 said:
Vir Iratus: *Peppy jumps out of the tv and stragnles the kid* That popped up randomely.

I jus know cashed is gonna bash me agin...
-.-*

Not that I exactly know what it means to stragnle, thats just taking it too far. Way to beat a dead horse...

CASHED WHERE ARE YOU!?!? >.<

I haven't read too much about them, but I do recall an article mentioning the sensors you place around your TV. Has anyone read more about them or find out what they sense. If I knew what their purpose was, it'd help to explain how they work. I didn't think such a thing would be needed since the controller could transmit all the necessary data, unless for some reason its position relative to the screen is important.

kaid

Smash Master
the First Post said:
It interacts with included motion sensors (which are placed on the left and right sides of televisions) to become a virtual conductor, of sorts. It detects motions, angles, directions and depths in a realistic manner, offering more freedom and precision in games than ever before. Imagine sticking your hand in a 3D box and being able to input all of your movement in games and you've got the basic idea.
I did miss something. Lateral motion IS recorded. (and vertical motion and distance changes, too)

Wow, that's going to be hard to come up w/ a shorthand for.

EDIT:
perhaps Slide S(<,>,v,^,o,O) to match Tilt T(<,>,v,^,\,/)?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
it also detects height, for instance if you actually raise the controller up it will notice that.

it detects any change of positition by the controller in a 3-D environment, so you'll have to take that into account kaid.

kaid

Smash Master
yes, I did. Slide ^ would be raising the controller, Slide o would move it away from you, Slide O moves it toward you, < is moving to the left, ect.

The o/O symbols probably confused you. Sorry, but if you can think of something better, I'm open to suggestions.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
whoops. heh.
so the whole thing altogether is

Slide(^,v, <,>,o,O) Tilt(^,v,<,>,\,/), A, B, C(v,^,<,>), D(v,^,<,>), Z1, Z2, home, start, select, a, b.

however instead of saying SNES a, b. i would say x and y because that is how they are labled in the official rev trailer.

kaid

Smash Master
With the additional comment that Slide, Tilt, and C are all analog inputs, that's it exactly.

And sure, x/y would require less typing, which is the reason for the shorthand in the first place. I was calling them a/b because that's what they were labled on the controller. X/Y it is.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Do we really need the shorthand? The shorthand is much more confusing than just describing where you're moving the controller.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
And I think you have explained the hell out of the controller now, if anybody still doesn't get it, they don't deserve to be here...

kaid

Smash Master
Do we need to say DJC, SHFFL, bair, or anything else that's become the lingo here? No, but we do it because it's shorter, and everyone knows what we're talking about.

"Swing" is way too general a term to describe an action w/ the Nunchaku. Do you mean just lateral motion or lateral motion w/ a twist? Do you follow through w/ your wrist?

This shorthand is confusing to people now, but eventually, we'll have to come up with a standard notation anyway, so we're putting an idea out now, so we can -hopefully- get used to it before the Rev launch.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I think he means that not everybody would even care to learn those terms if it doesn't apply to them.

The way I see it is much simpler. Describe most actions in a 2D plane parallel to your body:

"Swing it up and to the right."

Describe 3D motion and twisting with appropriate words:

"Swing up, to the right, and towards you."

The above describes pulling back a fishing line, for instance, and isn't that difficult to understand.

kaid

Smash Master
If you stick with simple motions, the basic description works fine. I agree w/ you there. It does get a littile lengthy when you start complicating the motion, but the same happens to the shorthand, so bleh.

Actually, I put together that list as a reference of what the Nunchaku is capable of, so we could come up with button equivilances. Looking back, I guess I got a littile overexcited w/ what I had done.

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
Osco316 said:
What?

Ah, I see "wavedashing" now. It must have something to do with Melee.
Yeah, wavedashing is a Melee term.

I had an interesting thought for a use of the controllers. Imagine holding two controllers, one in each fist... and boom, you've got an awesome boxing game.

Multiplayer sounds dangerous, though.

Or what about DDR with hand motions as well? 0.o

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
that idea is OOLD...it's even used that way in the revo trailer, with guy playing the drums.

used for duel weilding guns, swords etc. what nintendo confirmed about that is that if two controllers were used per person, you still couldn't have beyond 4 controllers, and thus 2 people per console, so you'd only see that for games like SoulCaliber. It would work for FPS's with more than two people though if it was WiFi or could LAN with other Revo Consoles.

I'm curious abouyt that, Revocan go WiFi, that's old, but will it have any LAN games? I know the GC had a couple(like MK:DD) but i think you had to buy special attachments for that. Will the Revo come LAN enabled, or will you have to buy a special cable?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
It's a pretty vague release date but the Revolution has been confirmed to be released after March 2006.

Quote: (Iwata speaking) "I can only say that it's coming out during 2006, but it will be after the current fiscal year. We hope to make it a simultaneous worldwide release as much as it's possible."

When asked by Nikkei Business if he has any specific sales figure targeted for the Revolution, Iwata stated that he hopes the console will sell at least more than the GameCube, which has shipped 18.76 million units as of June.

"It [the Revolution] would be a complete failure if we didn't sell more units than the Nintendo GameCube," said Iwata.

Iwata told Nikkei Business that the Revolution's controller uses several different types of technology, though he did not go into specifics. However, he did note that the controller can be used with any kind of monitor, even digital projectors.

Worldwide release will likely end up being Asia, Europe and North America. The release dates may follow each other by a few days/weeks instead of launching on the exact same day.

Tempest 01

Smash Journeyman
Drab Emordnilap said:
Yeah, wavedashing is a Melee term.
He was being sarcastic.

The Great Marth said:
there are to recievers for the controller right? u put them on the side or top and bottom of your TV......well what if you have alot of TV is a small area? do those little recievers have channels?

help me out plz.
I'm gonna guess they have those. But how big are they supposed to be initially?

OMG Cashed didn't bash me :p

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Drab Emordnilap said:
Or what about DDR with hand motions as well? 0.o
There is already a hand version of DDR in arcades. It's called Para Para Paradise. There is also a recently released PS2 version, using the Eye Toy.

OMG Cashed didn't bash me
He hasn't posted at all. Don't celebrate yet.

I'm curious abouyt that, Revocan go WiFi, that's old, but will it have any LAN games? I know the GC had a couple(like MK:DD) but i think you had to buy special attachments for that. Will the Revo come LAN enabled, or will you have to buy a special cable?
It would be nice (and it makes sense to me) if they can connect with each other wirelessly like the DS (OMG AND WITH THE DS TOO, I'M A GENIUS)...I have no idea what will be offered, but I'm sure there will be some way of doing LAN...if all else fails, I guess you could just connect through WiFi...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Chill said:
Worldwide release will likely end up being Asia, Europe and North America.
That's not world-wide dammit! Australia gets screwed again.....Microsoft's the same. Worldwide release by the end of the year. And Australia gets it early Feb.....

vidjogamer

Smash Master
mic_128 said:
That's not world-wide dammit! Australia gets screwed again.....Microsoft's the same. Worldwide release by the end of the year. And Australia gets it early Feb.....

You're from Australia? No wonder hes so mean. :p

Anyway, Nintendo said that there will be more surprises other than the controller. What do you all think they might be?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
mic_128 said:
I know that's why I specified which countries I thought would recieve a "worldwide" release. I was of course basing this off Microsofts plans and the fact that Australia has been continously ignored an almost every possible way.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Donkey Dong said:
We don't even know what this one is going to be called, so I doubt it.
The revolution is the 5th.

Cashed said:
The person probably saw an ad for the Nintendo Fusion Tour.
I don't think it will be the name but it wouldn't half-bad considering Nintendo is trying to bring the past, present and future together. With the ability to play older games and GCN games on the Revolution the name Fusion would make sense.

Top Bottom