• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

cowwa-f'n-bunga

Smash Apprentice
^ they wouldn't have to make HD a requirement for developers like Sony and M$ are.

However, if it were at least an option, then those devs that wanted to make HD games could do so.

if these consoles are supposed to last the next couple of years, while HDTVs become more and more available and common in people's homes, then it would be a mistake for N to not include HD support in the first place.

supersaiyanlink

Smash Cadet
Omnigamer said:
I saw your point clearly about the ability for DVD playback. But my counter-point is also still valid. At base, it's a gaming system through and through. But you can make it that little bit more only if you want to. It's still all about the games, just with a peripheral that can allow it to use its technology slightly differently. You're forcing that one statement to be too extreme.

And my point for the iQue was simply that it was tried, not that it was successful. But your argument for that helps to improve my previous argument. The iQue did indeed recieve unsatisfactory sales, but not because it was by any means a crappy product. It showed that people just wanted the Cube for games, not as a multiple media device. It just wasn't something that everybody needed.

HD I still think is no big loss. The standard today is still fine for myself and the majority of people, and as I said before, unless HD really drops in price in the next year or two, I can't foresee any reason why we'd throw out the standard televisions we already have to get HD. What use would it be to make something HD-available if it's only applicable to a very small portion of the population, but comes at a heftier price to make it so? Even with it as an option only, it makes much more business sense to leave it out of a prospective game at the risk of denying a very small portion of the market slightly cleaner visuals for a lower production cost. Then, having the option for HD in the first place would quickly become useless.

The numbers I posted were after all debts and other assets are factored in.
:psycho: :dizzy: :psycho: Whoa! does are truly impressive numebers for MS and Sony. I think that the 10 bil is also impressive for Nintendo considering they don't dabble in other mult-media products like the other guys.

Eh, I wasn't trying to be extreme with the DVD add-on statement. I was just going by Nintendo's supposed philosophy on their consoles, which seems more like an excuse nowandays. Going by that it didn't seem plausible for them to even consider including DVD playback or any bells and whistles. I just didn't see how this would increase the "gaming experience."

Like I said earlier, HD may not affect you now but it will in the future and that future is fast approaching. Any business is good business, and Nintendo just alienated a growing userbase. Just think 5 years from now, this small portion of the market you speak of would've grown dramatically. But of course by this time Nintendo when then realize their mistake again and implement it in the next console. Always late that Nintendo is. :(

DreamCaster

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess I'm just in a foul mood...

I just finished reading an article at IGN.com that featured an interview with Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that man will be the end of Nintendo if something isn't done quick (read the full article here )...

In a recent article published by London's The Guardian, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata offered further hints that Revolution's controller -- like the console itself -- may be simplified in order to appeal to consumers traditionally uninterested in complex, male-dominated videogames.
"There are too many buttons and sticks on controllers for novice players, which is likely to discourage them from ever playing games at all," Iwata told The Guardian. "We want the Revolution's controller to be relevant to everybody and we really want people to feel like they want to touch and play with it."

"Nintendo is very good at creating games that can appeal to the whole family," Iwata reiterated to the London paper. "There have been a lot of games created around excessive violence in the past few years and it seems to be escalating. From the business point of view, it doesn't make sense for us to follow suit. We cherish our hardcore gamers, but we always try to attract as many people as possible and expand the existing gaming population."
It really annoys me to read this and still watch Nintendo still try to cater to the older (read: "M" rated) crowd. Eternal Darkness? Metroid Prime? New "mature" looking Zelda game? Exclusivly (well, it was exclusive until Capcom wussed out under the pressure of lack of fanbase/sales) hosting two "this game may contain excessive voilence, blood, gore" Resident Evil games (well, just one of 'em now :p). Who is Nintendo trying to fool? They want to cash in on the older crowd market just as much as everyone else. OK. OK. Maybe I am over reacting (these games are, after all, "fantasy" violence... aliens, zombies, moblins, etc., nothing like Manhunt with the plastic bag over the face and bashing the skull in with a slege hammer...), but you have to admit the games I listed aren't exactly targeted to younger audiences like say Zelda: Wind Waker or Metroid Fusion would be.

I also don't like that crack Iwata made about "novice" players. It's kinda insulting to Nintendo's fans who have stuck with them though thick and (more recently) thin. How many of you out there felt an extra fuzzy feeling of Nintendo pride when playing though Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga whenever a classic Mario reference was made :). A wonderful Nintendo games that brings a whole buch of new elements to the table (Luigi with lightning powers? Can we see that in the new Smash Bros. game?!) while not forgeting the classic basics (i.e. Are we ever going to get a platforming Metroid game ever again...? Why do they put platforms in the Metroid Prime games?! It's a FPS! You can't see your friggin feet for chrissakes)!

So yes, Nintendo, go ahead with your more mature Zelda and Metroid titles, anything you make is pure gold, just don't go around talking BS, it really boils my blood.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
They're talking about bringing in people who haven't played games before. They see how complex it is and get scared off. And thats an ooooold interview.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
mic_128 said:
They're talking about bringing in people who haven't played games before. They see how complex it is and get scared off. And thats an ooooold interview.
Nintendo is changing for potential customers instead of people who are already customers which is scaring away those people who are already customers. What about those other people who want very in-depth games and don't mind multiple analog sticks and 8 or more buttons?

DreamCaster

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cashed said:
Nintendo is changing for potential customers instead of people who are already customers which is scaring away those people who are already customers. What about those other people who want very in-depth games and don't mind multiple analog sticks and 8 or more buttons?
That's exactly what I meant by the "novice players" comment. Who says that with a controller with "A", "B", "L", "R", "X", "Y", "Z", "Analog stick", "C-stick", and "D-pad", (and we can't forget "Start" and "Select" can we?). What law states that game developers must incorperate all those buttons into gameplay? Why not just use the "A", "B", and "D-pad" like in the old Nintendo days and have the rest of the buttons simply not fuction. Better yet, look at the DS, it has just about all those crazy differnt buttons but with games like Kirby: Cursed Canvas you only use the touch pad, and not buttons at all (well, if you wanna pause you hafta use the "Start" button but that's it). I'm glad Nintendo is exposing gamers to new innovations but who ever said the past conventions were tired and overdone. Nintendo could try to innovate the way we use the current controller like the way Ape Escape did.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
okay everyone, I hope you are ready for the new IGN controller mockup.

This is based on the fact that the controller has few butons, and will not be able to play GC games.

Enjoy!!

But wait! there's more! spanish mock-up of the next GB!

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Well, maybe the controller with the win button is actually a double entendre. It's also an imperative for nintendo to win, meaning win in the market of course. Also it could be commenting on how all of Nintendo's games are so absurdly easy, really all games are nowadays though.

Maybe my opinions are stale as old cheese, but I can't help but laugh at the megalomanical title 'revolution'. It seems to me like some hopeless prayer, as if the name itself will make the whole gaming world turn upside-down. And I notice that the size of these new systems are all relative to the companies' egos. Poor nintendo is so tiny...sigh. But I guess it's better than that behemoth that microsoft wants to cram into out cabinets.

Still, if smash is a launch title, I'm sure it will have good sales to start out with, then plummet into mediocrity as the gamecube did. (I will now don myself in a flame-retardant jumpsuit and get the fudge outta here,)

UltimateYoshi

Smash Cadet
Resting_Fox said:
Maybe my opinions are stale as old cheese, but I can't help but laugh at the megalomanical title 'revolution'. It seems to me like some hopeless prayer, as if the name itself will make the whole gaming world turn upside-down. And I notice that the size of these new systems are all relative to the companies' egos. Poor nintendo is so tiny...sigh. But I guess it's better than that behemoth that microsoft wants to cram into out cabinets.
Nintendo has always been trying to do things differently than the competition. The size of the system is more related to the company's beliefs. For example, Microsoft thinks that a gaming system must be crammed full of non-gaming add-ons, such as media playing. Sony seems to think so too.

Nintendo believes that the power of the system doesn't matter, as long as the hardware isn't ridiculously outdated. They believe that the system must be completely dedicated to gaming, and not stuffed full of media playing peripherals.

Sony's heavy hardware is going to go back and bite them in the butt. People have estimated the PS3 to resale at near $500. When the price drops, they're going to be losing money rapidly.

Agreed, people do like having media compatibility, the reason most of them already have a PC!

supersaiyanlink

Smash Cadet
Ha. Well that price may change now. I heard Sony is "Axing" alot of their features that they promised gamers the PS3 would have in order to lower the cost. Whoops! :dizzy:

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Yeah, Sony recently axed the router feature of the PS3. And of course everyone knows you'll have to buy the harddrive for it seperately, which will likely kill the point of it much like PS2's harddrive.

I kind of agree about the ego size being relative to the systems too. Sony's PS3 is the biggest, Microsoft follows up Sony and then Nintendo.

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
How can the dvd-playing feature be optional? :confused: I thought the N-rev already had the hardware to read DVDs and being able to interprate(sp) video DVDs would be all in the software.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Did you ever use an Xbox's DVD player, Gnight? You couldn't unless you bought the DVD playback kit, which consisted of a remote and a remote receiver you plugged into the console. Revolution's "thing" that unlocks the DVD player ability will go inside the console so you won't be able to tell the difference... But yeah, it'll just simply unlock the ability to play DVDs.

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
Cashed said:
Did you ever use an Xbox's DVD player, Gnight? You couldn't unless you bought the DVD playback kit, which consisted of a remote and a remote receiver you plugged into the console. Revolution's "thing" that unlocks the DVD player ability will go inside the console so you won't be able to tell the difference... But yeah, it'll just simply unlock the ability to play DVDs.
Sorry, I don't own an Xbox. I thought that you'd control playback with the controller.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
It strikes me as interesting that they're considering altering certain older games to be playable online... Something that I'd like to see happen, but wonder at the actual possibility of it.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
I think its its highly possible that they will make older games playable online....you can already do that now with emulators(I play SSB almost everyday online)..i think it would make people want them even more if they knew they could play them online.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Then you already know how buggy kaillera is. More people would definitely want them, but in some cases it would almost come down to making a completely new game to get online to work.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
Will it be likly that nintendo would offer old school games playable online? like Melee for gamecube etc. snes games. cuz old roms are online playable. :psycho: :psycho: :psycho:

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
I doubt they'd waste their time remaking a Gamecube game if it's already backwards compatible, no matter how cool it would be online. True, they could always just remake it and re-market it, but Nintendo probably has better things to do than re-program the data in a game to make it online.

supersaiyanlink

Smash Cadet
I feel better about the Rev now after the Iwata and Miyamotto interview. The addition of multi-player with older games is great and Iwata's explanation behind the Rev's graphics power quelled my anxiety about the Rev being too underpowered. Whew! I was getting alittle too worried for second there.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
At least they're thinking about SSBDS...

Online old games? I'd rather they focused on the here and now.

And graphics on par with other systems? That's good to hear.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Iwata is going to be giving a speech from 11:00 to 11:50 at the Tokyo Gaming Show on September 17th. It's expected he'll talk about the current state of the industry and you know, since him and Nintendo are so focused on this gaming revolution, he could finally reveal everything. This sounds about the right time for Nintendo to announce/reveal everything. Nintendo doesn't have anything on showcase or anything, just Iwata giving his speech where he could reveal all the info we've been wanting.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Dammit Cshed, you've raised my hopes now! Now I'm going to be disapointed when nothing Rev-wise is mentioned..... :(

HeroOfTime

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, the latest issue of NP says that the controller will definitely be shown by the end of this year. So that's good news. When and where is unknown, though.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah, and Satowa also said that Mario 128 would be definely shown at E305.

supersaiyanlink

Smash Cadet
Cashed said:
Iwata is going to be giving a speech from 11:00 to 11:50 at the Tokyo Gaming Show on September 17th. It's expected he'll talk about the current state of the industry and you know, since him and Nintendo are so focused on this gaming revolution, he could finally reveal everything. This sounds about the right time for Nintendo to announce/reveal everything. Nintendo doesn't have anything on showcase or anything, just Iwata giving his speech where he could reveal all the info we've been wanting.
Nah, I highly doubt that Iwata will reveal everything at the conference maybe a lil' bit more on the Rev's feature's. The way Nintendo's been acting these past months, they're not letting anything slip out until the end of this year.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
If they don't announce anything to try to hurt Microsoft a little bit though, I'll be disappointed. If they just let them launch the 360 without saying anything about the Rev's specs, controller, or showing any games it'll just be too bizarre. They seriously have got to announce something, it would just be over the internet (Like the DS's final design was revealed over the internet) or in a speech.

HeroOfTime

BRoomer
BRoomer
I highly doubt that Nintendo would just let Microsoft go ahead and launch it without trying to take away atleast a bit of it's thunder. I know they're trying to release Zelda around the same time, which is definitely a good thing, but as you said, CSHD, we need some final specs soon. Atleast enough for the major game sites to get up a channel for the system. If this system is supposedly coming out early next year to rival the PS3, I think we would atleast need the controller by now. I'm really hoping that Iwata will show it in some form during his press conference. I do think that they will show it by the end of the year regardless, though.

Hawkeyes

Smash Cadet
Osco316 said:
Thanks for that wonderful insight
XD, Osco. Anyways, I think Nintendo will keep their promise. The release of info on their newest console I think takes priority over one of their games. So we can definetly expect some new information soon. If they release information next year (On the controller no less, it would be pointless. 360 would already be released and PS3 would be done except for getting the kinks out and designing manuals/ads/packages etcetera, before the year is even over.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
GAMES I'D LIKE TO SEE DOWNLOADABLE:
Kid Icarus
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
And the list goes on and on...but I can't think of any more at the moment...

I have one worry about the Rev: over-simplification. Less buttons and less analog sticks? How am I supposed to FPS without two analog sticks? Unless there's a gyroscope...but it's hard to play a full game with a gyroscope. See: WarioWare: Twisted. The boss stage where you play Super Mario Bros. Sometimes the gyroscopes screws up and I'm playing the game on it's side!

Top Bottom