• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
*Weapons don't give much variety (Cricket bad ftl)
*Cricket bad is the ONLY melee weapon (wtf?)
*Puzzles that repeat over and over and over...
*Can't avoid a lot of combat despite it being a "realistic" apocalypse
*Game has MP...but no online? Really?

You gotta read both sides of the coin man.
But at least it isn't Red Steel. (It wasn't all bad though, the shooting segments were fun as hell.)

:phone:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo

The other side of the coin is also cynical and buying consoles only to resell them.

lil' joke don't hurt me

I would like to address what you said about the apocalypse kinda thing. Can't avoid a lot of combat despite it being a "realistic" apocalypse? Well here's the thing. You try and avoid it when you can, but really. Apocalypse. When that comes to mind I don't expect being able to hide ALL the time. Sometimes you REALLY gotta get the hell out of there and it's never going to work in your favor.

I can agree that having only one melee choice is kinda plain though. No crowbars? How about going into an antique/collection shop somewhere and finding some old swords lying around? You won't become a swordsman but it'll help when dealing with close encounters.

In the end though, it really comes down to what kind of fun you can make of any game you play.

It's okay to listen to others every now and then on what they feel about a game, but ultimately it's you who decides what you want to do with that information. If I hear Demon's Souls in zombie format, a sense of urgency and helplessness as you SURVIVE a zombie apocalypse, but then I hear the lack of variety in melee weapons to go with some guns, and clipping?

Well, to me I decide it's worth a shot.

My approach is to not be so cynical and pessimistic, but acknowledge the other side of the coin at the same time.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The other side of the coin is also cynical and buying consoles only to resell them.
I don't understand what cynicism has to do with reselling consoles.

I would like to address what you said about the apocalypse kinda thing. Can't avoid a lot of combat despite it being a "realistic" apocalypse? Well here's the thing. You try and avoid it when you can, but really. Apocalypse. When that comes to mind I don't expect being able to hide ALL the time. Sometimes you REALLY gotta get the hell out of there and it's never going to work in your favor.
The number one cause of people becoming zombies is when they think it's a bright idea to go and attack/defend themselves. You do spend a lot of time sneaking up on zombies, but I'd rather just have the big option of moving past them. There's something called "stealth" lol. Zombies are not the brightest bunch.
I can agree that having only one melee choice is kinda plain though.
Not "kinda". It is.

In the end though, it really comes down to what kind of fun you can make of any game you play.
No disagreement there.

It's okay to listen to others every now and then on what they feel about a game, but ultimately it's you who decides what you want to do with that information. If I hear Demon's Souls in zombie format, a sense of urgency and helplessness as you SURVIVE a zombie apocalypse, but then I hear the lack of variety in melee weapons to go with some guns, and clipping?
I don't know about anyone else, but I listen to others, cause I don't want to jump the gun, spend 60 dollars, and be felt like I wasted my money. All in all, if someone tells me "It's a rent" or "wait till the price drops", it gives me an idea of what people think of the game. I'm not going to support a game/company, because they made an average to below average product.

My approach is to not be so cynical and pessimistic, but acknowledge the other side of the coin at the same time.
I do acknowledge the other side. However, when your metacritic score is 70 (in a world of generous game reviewers these days), it leaves me to think it's not worth dropping 60 dollars on a game like that.

People can look at scores differently, but I do judge scores related to school grades. 70 is barely passing in my eyes.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Metacritic doesn't do anything but provide you every slightly notable review and the average score of all reviews. To make it a bit more personal, user reviews and scores can also be submitted. What harm does it do?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
It has to do with the overall terribleness that is the video game rating system.

Ignoring the people like theeboredone who take other peoples ratings and say they actually mean "X" you have the fact that we use a 100 point scale for something that you cant actually measure. I think Adam Sessler said it best(oh got i agree with adam sessler on something, shoot me now) "What is the difference between an 74 and a 77?" Clearly the difference between a 90 and a 10 is that the 90 is good and the 10 isnt, but how much better is the 90 than the 86? 90 is an A but 86 is a B right? No, not right. This isnt a math test where things can be assigned a specific value. These are reviews where someone says "Gameplay is solid, but kind of uninteresting, the music is great, and it definitely gets better after the boring intro: 77 out of 100!"

WHERE DID THAT 77 COME FROM? It's 100% arbitrary? Why not 74? Can you give a clear and concise reason as to why it wasnt an 80 or a 74? Of course you cant. We have a "Letter grade" mentality to something where letter grades dont make sense. "It's not an 80 because it didnt really feel like a 'B' but it's not a 74 cus it definitely wasnt a 'C-'"

Metacritic compounds this problem by aggregating reviews that dont even use the same scale. A 5 point scale can never be matched to a 10 or 100 point scale. A 2 out of 5 doesnt equate to 40 out of 100. What about sites that do use Letter grade systems? What would a B+ be? 86? 89? Those are two different scores but they both equal a B+ so which is it?

Then there's the issue of "Metacritic = your pay" but I dont even want to get into that can of worms, especially since it doesnt really relate to the topic.

Edit: I have to add this because i forgot

There's also the fact that not all 100 point reviews scale the same way. IGN uses 5.0 as the average, but GameInformer uses 7.0. Both reviewers could agree on everything, give the exact same review and score it the exact same but end up with an average of 60, despite being higher than what IGN gave and lower than what GameInformer gave.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
wow thats actually very informative, i wonder if rotten tomatoes does the same thing

how do you propose rating systems should be done then?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I myself have always preferred no rating system whatsoever. No numbers, no points, no letters, grades, stars or anything. Just a review of the game, it's problems and it's strengths. At best I'll accept sites that do "Avoid it, Try it, Buy it" kind of things, where it's more of a recommendation than anything else, but honestly it's always the full text readout that matters to me the most. Numbers are Bull****.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey, didn't pikmin 3 come out? Anyone play it?

I didn't see it in the store

Edit: OH. I see. It's a "Launch Window Title" meaning sometime around launch. Obviously not launch though

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I agree with that, there could be a little of variety but it doesn't break the atmosphere of the game in any way IMO. The more weapons they add, the less you feel like this is a zombie apocalyse where weapons are scarce and rare. There needs to be an equilibrium of both scarcity and variety: Too much variety of guns feels like too much of a shooter or Resident Evil 4 and onward; Not much of it won't feel like a video game which its purpose is to give fun and satisfaction.

So I think that even though there isn't much of a variety, it is just sitting around the right amount of different weapons to have.

This is the part I agree the most, there could have a lot of things that can be found in a kitchen or a basement that could be used as a melee weapon. Just the cricket bat is bad. I bet the developers thought the survivors will only want to stick to those since they are rock-solid and have a long range, I have no idea why they chose to have this as their only melee weapon. >.<

In my opinion, there shouldn't be any puzzles to begin with. Finding numbers to unlock doors or safes are ok (just wish they didn't overuse the scan). You won't be solving any puzzle in a apocalypse, which brings us again to the fact that this is a video game so developers are used to make puzzles for everything today. I'm glad it tries to be its own thing, the game should be about survival and management of resources.

I disagree on this part. From what I have seen so far, you can in fact avoid a lot of combat. Specially bigger rooms or open areas, that's when you can go for the run.

The only parts you can't really avoid combat are in narrow corridors. Some videos that I watched I see the person who is reviewing the game stopping to kill all the zombies, as if they must to. That is where they are all wrong, it's no surprise they get tired of the cricket bat. This isn't a hack 'n slash.

I know right. They could have polished the MP function a lot and added on-line. Lame Ubisoft. :p

At least the multiplayer is not the main selling point of the game, otherwise this would be the failure of the year.

I do. I just don't think most reviewers are giving this game a fair score. I did notice that when reading through the walls-of-text in their reviews, it was easy to tell that the person who is reviewing the game doesn't like the genre at all. Most of the time there would be a negative remark of an aspect of the game, I would just shrug and think to myself that it would be an awesome game mechanic.

With all these mixed reviews, I'll give ZombiU the benefit of the doubt and see for myself if it's a bad game or not. Unfortunately I cannot rent it, as in my city there aren't video game stores that rent games (the new generation ones). So the best I can do is to buy it as I have been wanting to play it for awhile. :p

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I was expecting it to come from TRU on next Monday at the earliest due to Thanksgiving and Black Friday, but ohh mannnn it's coming tomorrow.

Made my day, sitting in class tomorrow is going to be so hard.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I was expecting it to come from TRU on next Monday at the earliest due to Thanksgiving and Black Friday, but ohh mannnn it's coming tomorrow.

Made my day, sitting in class tomorrow is going to be so hard.
Or, you could just remember that 5GB update is gonna take awhile anyways, so you could wait.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
It has to do with the overall terribleness that is the video game rating system.

Ignoring the people like theeboredone who take other peoples ratings and say they actually mean "X" you have the fact that we use a 100 point scale for something that you cant actually measure. I think Adam Sessler said it best(oh got i agree with adam sessler on something, shoot me now) "What is the difference between an 74 and a 77?" Clearly the difference between a 90 and a 10 is that the 90 is good and the 10 isnt, but how much better is the 90 than the 86? 90 is an A but 86 is a B right? No, not right. This isnt a math test where things can be assigned a specific value. These are reviews where someone says "Gameplay is solid, but kind of uninteresting, the music is great, and it definitely gets better after the boring intro: 77 out of 100!"

WHERE DID THAT 77 COME FROM? It's 100% arbitrary? Why not 74? Can you give a clear and concise reason as to why it wasnt an 80 or a 74? Of course you cant. We have a "Letter grade" mentality to something where letter grades dont make sense. "It's not an 80 because it didnt really feel like a 'B' but it's not a 74 cus it definitely wasnt a 'C-'"

Metacritic compounds this problem by aggregating reviews that dont even use the same scale. A 5 point scale can never be matched to a 10 or 100 point scale. A 2 out of 5 doesnt equate to 40 out of 100. What about sites that do use Letter grade systems? What would a B+ be? 86? 89? Those are two different scores but they both equal a B+ so which is it?

Then there's the issue of "Metacritic = your pay" but I dont even want to get into that can of worms, especially since it doesnt really relate to the topic.

Edit: I have to add this because i forgot

There's also the fact that not all 100 point reviews scale the same way. IGN uses 5.0 as the average, but GameInformer uses 7.0. Both reviewers could agree on everything, give the exact same review and score it the exact same but end up with an average of 60, despite being higher than what IGN gave and lower than what GameInformer gave.

I see, that's a very understandable argument.

Still, despite the grades not being exactly accurate, I think there is still a clear difference between products that have scored a 30, 50, 70 or 90. As you say any different lower than 10 points is absolutely negligable but I find there is still a clear distinction between a product that has scored 30 and one that has scored 70.

Also, Metacritic collects all reviews and allows you to see the full reviews, which is quite convenient. Indeed the reviews are what count and are much more significant than the scores.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
what's the range on the wii u controller?

In the commercials they were able to go to another room and still play but I seem to loose contact in most areas in other rooms

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
So my Wii U comes in later today. I'm probably going to stop by KMart and pick up ZombiU and NSMBU.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I just want to make things clear since we've been misinformed by a lot of stuff.

The update is 1GB, not 5GB. You can also have the day one update running in the background, but you have to "cancel" the update in the initial setup and have Wi-Fi on to make it work. In reality, when you go back to the home menu after the setup, it is actually downloading in the background, and you can basically do whatever you want while it downloads. For most people, this only took 30 minutes at most. I'm not sure why Nintendo didn't make it say "download in background" because saying "cancel" or "later" would just make it all confusing. People who had their Wii U's bricked had the download actually still running on a black screen, so it sucks to whoever sent it in to Nintendo when you could've waited for the download to finish.

You can also store and play Wii U games in and off a SD card, but you have to plug in a SD card adapter in order to do so. The Wii U will treat the adapter as if it was actually an external hard drive.

People also reported that you can use mic-enabled headphones through the GamePad's internal microphone and not just third-party headsets to do in-game voice chat.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think the wii u was a system made for me/

I hate sitting in front of the tv playing game systems, I feel like I'm wasting time. But with the wii u I can go around (some...) of the house and do other stuff while playing at the same time

People still care about game reviews? I thought that RedBox and Gamefly completely eliminated the purpose of reviews. Just rent the game for a dollar and play it, if you like it, then buy it. Opinions are like *******s, everybody has one.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Unfortunately, renting games isn't really going to be an option soon.

Everyone wants to go into the pure digital age

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
People still care about game reviews? I thought that RedBox and Gamefly completely eliminated the purpose of reviews. Just rent the game for a dollar and play it, if you like it, then buy it. Opinions are like *******s, everybody has one.
People use game fly or red box? Don't game demos exist for a reason? And it is free too.

Reviews are free. Who cares on spending a dollar on a game when there are plenty of research tools out there to determine whether or not a game is worth your time.

I still have yet to regret a purchase.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Demos rarely tell half the story.
Yeah, but it gives you some sort of feel for the game. Like, how it plays, etc. Or, that is supposed to be the point of demos.

A demo is like a photograph. It gives you a snapshot of that moment in the game.

And if a game demo doesn't exist, you still have plenty of resources to base your decision on.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone know if it's possible to play as anyone but Mario in 1 player mode?

in New Super Mario Bros wii u

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently no, unfortunately

Why?

You can in NSMB2

...Nintendo, it can't be that hard to do

I prefer to play as Luigi

People use game fly or red box? Don't game demos exist for a reason? And it is free too.

Reviews are free. Who cares on spending a dollar on a game when there are plenty of research tools out there to determine whether or not a game is worth your time.

I still have yet to regret a purchase.

I think if you're willing to spend up to 65 dollars on a game, 1 dollar shouldn't really be a problem. This is just textbook conspicuous consumption.

If doing online research works for you that's great, but nothing is free at the surface, after all you still pay for internet every month in order for you to research these things. But i'm highly opinionated, and I can't take anothers word at face value. That and I don't feel the need of an anonymous opinion.

I personally find game reviews a joke. A majority of them are too negative and overly critical of and based their opinions off of a few shy attempts versus them spending a great deal of time with a game and giving it a good review because they anticipated it more than another one.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Something has been bothering me. All of the hate towards the Basic set. I actually got the Basic set because I prefer White (Black Gloss = Smudges), and the 55 Dollars I didn't spend on useless stuff got my a launch title. Not to bash Nintendo World, but it's a big demo of the Wii-U

Wii-U Deluxe has...

-Useless Charging dock for the Controller. Don't see how this is in any way useful when the cable to charge the tablet is huge.
-More GB. Yeah that's cool and all but with 3.9GB after update or 29.4(or w/e) you're going to need external memory later down the road. 2 64 GB Flash drives in the back of the Wii-u was going to happen regardless of a small memory boost. (also the Deluxe Wii-U is noticeably bigger/heavier for that)
-No launch game of choice, Nintendo Land

Not sure if it got a pro controller and a 10% discount on store stuff, I read it did which is nice but then people say it didn't so I don't get that.

All I know is i always get Deluxe/Special stuff, but the Wii-U offer isn't really that good. >_> I think it should come down to a preference of colors before offers, lol.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The regular wii u didn't come with the charging dock? I actually like that thing. It kind of makes the controller look like it's on display next to the system.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
If you use an external hard drive for the wii does it have to be exclusively for the wii or can you unplug it and use it for other purposes

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Something has been bothering me. All of the hate towards the Basic set. I actually got the Basic set because I prefer White (Black Gloss = Smudges), and the 55 Dollars I didn't spend on useless stuff got my a launch title. Not to bash Nintendo World, but it's a big demo of the Wii-U

Wii-U Deluxe has...

-Useless Charging dock for the Controller. Don't see how this is in any way useful when the cable to charge the tablet is huge.
-More GB. Yeah that's cool and all but with 3.9GB after update or 29.4(or w/e) you're going to need external memory later down the road. 2 64 GB Flash drives in the back of the Wii-u was going to happen regardless of a small memory boost. (also the Deluxe Wii-U is noticeably bigger/heavier for that)
-No launch game of choice, Nintendo Land

Not sure if it got a pro controller and a 10% discount on store stuff, I read it did which is nice but then people say it didn't so I don't get that.

All I know is i always get Deluxe/Special stuff, but the Wii-U offer isn't really that good. >_> I think it should come down to a preference of colors before offers, lol.
For most people, the Deluxe Set offers more value than the Basic Set. Buying the Deluxe Set without buying a game saves you $10 more than the Basic with a $60 game since every extra stuff including Nintendo Land is solely $50. If you weren't buying a launch game with the Basic, though, then that saves you more money, but I doubt people would want to buy a system at launch without buying a game yet, unless they're waiting for more big games. Buying games for more than $50 ($50 = 500 Points = $5) digitally would save you some money, too, due to the Deluxe Digital Promotion for the Deluxe Set.

All of this is based on opinion. For me, the charging dock isn't that useless, it works just like the 3DS for convenience. The GamePad stand (not the charging dock) is also there for Wii U Chat, GamePad as a TV screen or games that utilise it as a map. The console stand is also there if you want your Wii U to stand vertically. Even if you weren't going to use all of these accessories, it's still there.

The Pro Controller is sold separately for $49.99, but it's bundled with ZombiU for the Deluxe Edition in Europe. The website for the Deluxe Digital Promotion doesn't come out until December 2012, which is why people say they didn't get any discount but they really did.

If you use an external hard drive for the wii does it have to be exclusively for the wii or can you unplug it and use it for other purposes
It has to be exclusive for the Wii U so you're going to have to format it. Unless you meant the Wii U, the Wii can't use hard drives, only SD cards.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Ordered the basic on Gamestop (the deluxe was being backordered) and I got Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U with it. Christmas gifts unfortunately, but at least I know Christmas will be special.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Somebody on here pre-ordered two Wii U consoles and was planning on selling them to get some profit out of it.

How'd that go? XD

Chibi, the Wii can use external hard drives if you have Homebrew installed.

Top Bottom