• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why would Sakurai ignore the most popular character choices?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Characters such as Ridley and Geno have a huge fanbase yeah, but there are just as many people that think they would be very stupid to have as playable characters over others.

inb4OMGSAKURAI'SPOLL

Most people say that Melee has a 25 playable character roster even though its 26. If the 35 rumor bears out, it will be 35, not 39 playables as the movesets would have you believe.
Based on?

Metroid Prime may have sold more than Star Fox Adventures or Assault, but one and only one Metroid game doing so is not an accomplishment.

We've had seven Metroid games and three Star Fox games this and last gen. Get over it, I'm right, and you are wrong.

I bet you also think that Kirby is less popular, huh?

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
1. People who think Ridley would be a bad addition are stupid ignorant *******s. End of. I have yet to see a single person who isn't.

2. The Metroid series had 3 games before the GC generation. At 2006 (Before MP3) came out it had 13 million sales. Us your brain. Now unless all 3 of those games sold EXTREMELY well (Which they didn't) then I doubt that your correct.

3. "Despite being released on August 27, Corruption was still the fifth best-selling game of the month, with 218,100 copies sold." Not bad for a game that had been out for 4 days and from an un popular series.

...Right, I forgot - one million copies sold is just a monumental failure.

Since you don't seem to understand the logic behind logic, let me explain - you are terrible at arguing.

And fun fact: No one in this freaking thread said "Metroid was unpopular". You, however, basically said that Star Fox was not as popular as Metroid. Does Metroid have almost every single game in its franchise as a million seller? Let me guess - Hell no.

And Star Fox Command sold 600,000 in the US alone. It had roughly 200,000 sold in its first month. And it's the least popular Star Fox game ever made. MP3 is probably the second most popular Metroid game made since Super Metroid. Wow, so amazing.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Wow Star Fox has had 5 games thus (As you put it) = 5 million or less (Considering command sold less).

Metroid has 10 and has sold 13 (More likely 14 now) million.

Do you understand that logic? Do you? Because I don't think you do. Especially considering you keep on talking about "Past popularity" yet the most recent Star Fox has sold worse than the most recent Metroid.

Now cya.

I love how people seem to say "fake" based on nothing more than the fact that they don't want it to be real.

If you keep wishing it was fake, you'll just waste your time. I would say that saying something's fake because you don't like it is a more significant mental problem than believing in a 35 character roster, something which no one has ever explained could never happen.

Don't accuse people of having mental problems if you have them in surplus.

Oh, and nice analysis. Because the last three sold at least one million, you say "well, the first two must have as well!" That's bad math, twisting reality, or both.

Star Fox 64 sold more than 4 million copies, it was one of the most popular N64 games ever made.

Star Fox sold more than 2 million.

So a minimum of 3 million sold for the three current gen SFs (possibly 4 million, considering Adventures was extremely popular), plus 6 million. A total of 10,000,000 copies of five SF games sold. Metroid has ten games, and only four million more (estimating that Corruption pushed it over that). Double the games, but not double the sales? Hmm...

Reyairia

Smash Champion
So I'm imagining the three trophies Sheik got? =s
So I'm imagining the fact that Super Mario Bros. is the most important Nintendo franchise and therefore it wouldn't make sense that they had less representatives than Legend of Zelda? Or the fact that Sheik doesn't appear in the Character selection screen?

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
How bout this: who gives a crap about which franchise is more popular-metroid or starfox because they are both good, so shut up, its tireseome. This thread is about the 35 roster and why it is missing so many of sakurai's poll winners.

I totally think the 35 roster is a big fake. I also think the R.O.B. is an extremely horrible choice for a character, and whoever came up with it did a terrible job making their lie believable. If it were true, it would be a huge slap in the face to so many fans. Also, it seems unlikely to me that they would make R.O.B. playable because Sakurai already pointed the R.O.B.'s out on the Dojo video about the SE.

Wolf isn't a bad choice, I actually wanted him way more than Krystal for a long time, but now I could swing either way. Krystal would be good adding more females, which we do need in roster.

Ridley not even making an appearance, though? That just can't be right. Ridley is too big a deal for Metroid. And think about this- there are so many clues hinting that Ridley will be in one way or another:
1. "Norfair is the location in Metroid where the enemy boss Ridley was." Quoted straight from the Dojo.
2. In the Frigate Orpheon, Ridley makes an appearance after defeating the Parasite Queen.
3. The Ridley boss music, which from the way it's titled, looks like it's meant to be utilized during a boss battle. So I'm Ridley will at least appear as a boss, maybe more.

We aren't getting every "most popular character". You act like we got everyone in Melee? If we didn't get everyone that should have been in Melee, why would we get everyone that should have been in Brawl?

And the 35 character roster is real. ROB may not be, but we are getting 35 characters max.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
And fun fact: No one in this freaking thread said "Metroid was unpopular". You, however, basically said that Star Fox was not as popular as Metroid. Does Metroid have almost every single game in its franchise as a million seller? Let me guess - Hell no.
Ugh.
Let me repost this again because YOU are obviously not getting it, mister.

Metroid: 16, 500, 000 results.
Starfox: 2, 150, 000 results.

MATH TIEMZ:
16.5/2.15 = 7.66

Metroid has 7.66 times more results than Starfox on google search.
That basically means Metroid is 7.66 times more popular than Starfox.

It doesn't matter how much the sales/number of games has been made, Metroid in total has sold more than Starfox, and that makes it more popular. End story.

Nasir

Smash Apprentice
Most people say that Melee has a 25 playable character roster even though its 26. If the 35 rumor bears out, it will be 35, not 39 playables as the movesets would have you believe.
Well Sheik doesn't really count, cause' he's/she's part of Zelda. And it also says 25 in Melee's data... But it's 26 movesets. I don't think that Sheik and the PKT's pokemons does count as characters in the 35 character roster rumor. So it will be 39 movesets (or more) but 35 playable characters if the rumor/leak is true.

Oh. My. God.

You just brought Google hits into this.

Google hits matter for nothing, especially when you use Starfox instead of Star Fox, which the series is called.

You also don't take into account that Star Fox has an abbreviation. Metroid doesn't. There would be no way to abbreviate Metroid, so people will always call the series "Metroid". People may call it Star Fox, Starfox, Lylat Wars, SF, etc.

So yeah, Google hits are worth less than nothing.

And on top of that, the fact of the matter is that on average, Metroid games nowadays sell less than one million. On average, Star Fox games sell more than one million.

Just because Star Fox hasn't been whored out like Metroid has doesn't mean that it's less popular.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Too much hostility from both sides.

I'm bailing, from this thread at least. Just wanted to delivery my two cents: if this suck roster is real, I told you so, but try to enjoy the rest of the game everyone will probably overlook.

See you guys 1/31.

KingKraken

Smash Journeyman
First of all, wasn't that proven fake? Never the less,

As popular as these characters are, there is a possibility that lots of our most beloved characters won't make it into brawl. The reason is, some characters just can't be fit into the game. Sakurai and his team can only do so much. Yes, I know it's a HUGE team, but these 50+ roster hopefuls seem a bit TOO hopeful.

Nasir

Smash Apprentice
We aren't getting every "most popular character". You act like we got everyone in Melee? If we didn't get everyone that should have been in Melee, why would we get everyone that should have been in Brawl?

And the 35 character roster is real. ROB may not be, but we are getting 35 characters max.
Melee was rushed. But with Brawl they've got a much bigger development team, and they worked with the game for more than 2 years, as I've heard Melee was developed for about 10 months. They should have made a better character roster than they have, if the 35 character roster is true.

Btw what makes you so sure that we're not getting more characters than 35?

1. So, just curious, how much effort do you think they put into the game? The way you're acting, if 35 characters is true (and it is), they put no effort into the game, even though the game is overflowing with incredibly awesome new features. You ignore that he gave us a minimum of 17 new freaking characters - that's more than double what Melee gave us! And did you ever consider that Ganondorf, Young Link, Falco, Ness, and Luigi all reduce the size of the roster because they will be decloned? With Ganondorf, he basically IS a newcomer, because he's being built from the ground up!

Those two years went into much more than just characters, you know.

2. Because my sources are right.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Instead, replace R.O.B. with Ridley and it increases probably 40%. You can use Krystal to replace Wolf. He lost his chance once Snake got in. If he was going to do anything, it would be using random artillery like Snake has already been shwn do to...
Replacing ROB with Ridley and Wolf with Krystal would make the roster (calculates it) 80% better! The only things that could improve THAT is adding Geno and/or Mega Man, and neither is too likely to happen due to license issues.

Nasir

Smash Apprentice
1. So, just curious, how much effort do you think they put into the game? The way you're acting, if 35 characters is true (and it is), they put no effort into the game, even though the game is overflowing with incredibly awesome new features. You ignore that he gave us a minimum of 17 new freaking characters - that's more than double what Melee gave us! And did you ever consider that Ganondorf, Young Link, Falco, Ness, and Luigi all reduce the size of the roster because they will be decloned? With Ganondorf, he basically IS a newcomer, because he's being built from the ground up!

Those two years went into much more than just characters, you know.

2. Because my sources are right.
What sources would that be?

Something I don't think they have forgotten is that Smash Bros is mostly about multiplayer and therefore stages/Characters is what matters. Yes, it's seems great with a great single player and stage builder and stuff like that, but this game is so much about multiplayer and therefore it sucks if they leave characters like Krystal, Geno and Ridley out, and that they doesn't even put a single female character in! When there are clearly some really great female characters who would fit in smash bros perfectly. So it's not just that I think that 35 are too few, it's more the character choices which makes me dissapointed.

sp0rsk, Markman, and Reno.

And the logic that SSB is about multi-player relies on the logic that it cannot be a good single player game.

One of the best things about Melee was the plethora of collectibles.

You have literally nothing that suggests anything more than 35 characters, and yet you "lol"?

Oh, and let me modify your statement.

"Lol at anyone thinking that we're getting Pichu, Dr. Mario, or Mr. Game & Watch."

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Quit comparing this to Melee's leak. When Melee's roster was leaked it had a picture... Oh yes, not a PhotoShopped picture. A REAL IN GAME PICTURE. All this stupid 35 character roster has had is mock-up pictures.

The 35 character roster is terrible. I do believe a 35 character roster is possible, but not this one that's being claimed as a "fact".

I don't buy it.

I don't expect all of the highly requested characters to make it... but with the options of Ridley, Geno, Krystal, Isaac, etc. it seems ridiculous to add in Wolf and R.O.B.

This roster makes me... want to puke. It's that awful. Please, Sakurai... Deconfirm it tonight!

Smash Ace
35 characters = BS.
7 days until I party and lol @ losers who believe rumors.
Here's my 2 bits:
nothing's true until it's confirmed/deconfirmed by an official sourse.

over and out. feel free to flame me, since I will not return to this thread.
=2007=

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
My sig pretty much sums up my opinion - the quantity is not bad, but some of the choices are, and from a utilitarian standpoint that grates. SSB means fanservice to a greater degree than other series do - for example, we want something akin to SSE and this was a factor in the decision to give us what we wanted - only we never imagined SSE specifically.

However, Sakurai and his team have created a game - NOT A COMMISSION! Their game is our wishes, filtrated. I think they've made strange choices both from a gameplay perspective AS WELL as from that of fanservice. But consider R.O.B. like the Pandora's Box weapon in DMC 4 - maybe you wanted that weapon's position to be filled with your own idea, but you are still going to have a wish you didn't even know about fulfilled because the developers went with their own idea, and felt more artistic and subjective satisfaction in seeing it put in the game. Sure they want you to be pleased as well, but they don't make this game just to create some supply for your demand. It's an artistic industry - a middl-ground, just like Melee.

Sorry for the "edumaction", but I hope I can lessen some ire by offering my own thoughts on the very probable 35/37-roster.

(I am not kidding on how pleased I would be to eat my own predictions.)

EPX2

Smash Ace
You have literally nothing that suggests anything more than 35 characters, and yet you "lol"?

Oh, and let me modify your statement.

"Lol at anyone thinking that we're getting Pichu, Dr. Mario, or Mr. Game & Watch."
XFDXFD

You seriously think Mr. G&W won't return? ROFFLE

No, seriously, if you're really trying to suggest that he's not coming back, you're horribly mistaken... and you'll see exactly why in six (possibly five) days.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
XFDXFD

You seriously think Mr. G&W won't return? ROFFLE

No, seriously, if you're really trying to suggest that he's not coming back, you're horribly mistaken... and you'll see exactly why in six (possibly five) days.
No, you fail at comprehending a very easy point.

He was comparing the outcry and confusion and doubt at this potentially leaked roster to the outcry at the leaked roster from Melee. Everyone doubted Pichu, G&W, and Dr. Mario, and had no idea who Roy was.

"LOL PICHU, DR. MARIO? IMPOSSIBLE. WE'RE TOTALLY GETTING SONIC AND DEDEDE GUYS. :D OMG...PROBABLY RIDLEY TOO. AND SHY GUY. OMG PLAYABLE GOOMBA CONFIRMED FROM THIS SHOT? AND MAYBE EVEN KRYSTAL AND CLOUD! OMG SO EXCITED...wait, what do you mean that roster was real? WHO'S ROY ANYWAY? ROY KOOPA?"

EPX2

Smash Ace
Might be a good idea to read the entire thread before posting next time. >_>

Edit: I read the post he was replying to and assumed that his post was in reference to Brawl (as that post was), for clarification.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
Oh stop it. Geno is not popular.

Most people have no idea who he is. Unless you visit Smashboards or you've played Super Mario RPG you probaly don't know who the hell Geno is. He isn't a highly requested character just because 4 hardcore japanese nintendo fans voted for him.

Jondalar

Smash Rookie
I would have to agree that I don't like the 35 characters either, and it would be a reather bad choice, since almost all the characters from melee have returned and many of the highly wanted characters arn't in, I just think that it would be a bad idea to put that roster into the game, even though I would still get the game, that roster is like melee special edition :p.

And I'm almost positive krystal will be in, way too much to support her, and falco would mean a clone.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
Might be a good idea to read the entire thread before posting next time. >_>

Edit: I read the post he was replying to and assumed that his post was in reference to Brawl (as that post was), for clarification.

S'cool. It happens.

And I'm almost positive krystal will be in, way too much to support her, and falco would mean a clone.
Not really, and not necessarily. We'll see how Falco/Wolf/Falco and Wolf? will play

Krystal is kind of...awkward to talk about due to the fact that, sadly, a lot of her fanbase is filled to the brim with furry types. They're all extremely adamant about her addition mostly because of that. It's true...look at most fansites for her. They're really creepy.

As for this being "Melee Special Edition," Melee had so much less roster-wise that it may as well been called "Super Smash Bros. Special Edition." What people are failing to understand is that despite the roster being the most valued of the hardcore community, the biggest factor between Melee's additions from the original, and Brawl's additions from Melee are the various modes and little gimmicky type things.

Sure, we didn't get everything we wanted, but we got leaps and bounds more new moveset playables than Melee. The problem was, the majority of them were revealed to us from the get-go. The surprise of Snake and Sonic were spoiled too, which I think was kind of a mistake. Remember, Sakurai said he'd make sure MOST of the characters weren't secret, since people would play against them online anyway. That's why the 35/37 roster (35 + Dark Samus and Michaiah) seems likely.

But we're still getting potentially hundreds of songs, 41 stages if the 35 leak is true, Subspace Emissary with customizable characters, hundereds more trophies, a ton of stickers, and a roster that DOES put Melee's to shame, even if it lacks this guy and that guy.

MAYBE we'll get hit with some 60 character behemoth of liquid awesome, but can we please stop counting on it like it's required of them to do that? Game design is a creative business, an artistic industry. Zinfandel phrased my thoughts to a tee.

That was a quote which says basically - people reacted much worse to Melee's roster.

Even though G&W is a Nintendo icon, people hated his inclusion. "OMG I WANTED WARIO AND RIDLEY AND DIDDY KONG NOT MR. GAME & POOP!!1111!1"

And I still have not seen a single iota of reasoning behind any roster bigger than 35.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
That was a quote which says basically - people reacted much worse to Melee's roster.

Even though G&W is a Nintendo icon, people hated his inclusion. "OMG I WANTED WARIO AND RIDLEY AND DIDDY KONG NOT MR. GAME & POOP!!1111!1"

And I still have not seen a single iota of reasoning behind any roster bigger than 35.
Right, I got it. I agree with ya.

We'll find out by or shortly before Thursday. Count on it.

Top Bottom