• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why were Mewtwo and Roy removed?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Word -brick'd-

Roy could have received an original moveset (Eh, same with Ganondorf and Falco in that moment).

Say, you got the popularity poll of Melee?
Roy could also have easily been Luigi-fied. I say that Roy & Mewtwo got their spots taken away from by Wolf and Sonic. Sonic since Sakurai said he was not added until 2007, and Wolf since he was the only character not to have a planned unique victory theme according to the debug menu, implying that he was added later on in development.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Roy could also have easily been Luigi-fied. I say that Roy & Mewtwo got their spots taken away from by Wolf and Sonic. Sonic since Sakurai said he was not added until 2007, and Wolf since he was the only character not to have a planned unique victory theme according to the debug menu, implying that he was added later on in development.
It's all Sonic's fault!
Heh... I always knew he was a ****.

Heh, kidding kidding, but well... the Forbidden 7... that's an interesting case, I mean, if we don''t count Toon Zelda/Sheik (I still can't believe that) we have 6 characters, and therefore, there could have been easily another column of characters, counting the random icon.

Yup, had it linked back in the Marth support thread, before it got locked along with the rest of the non-specific character forums. Heres, the google-translated version of it.

Zevox
Sweet...

Arigatou, Zevox.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
Lucario replacing mewtwo is perfect in my opinion but it would be better if roy was in, I mean there is no reason for him not to be in brawl everyone says its because he is a clone but falco ganodorf and toon link are clones and there in it

Zevox

Smash Lord
Lucario replacing mewtwo is perfect in my opinion but it would be better if roy was in, I mean there is no reason for him not to be in brawl everyone says its because he is a clone but falco ganodorf and toon link are clones and there in it
Problem is, Roy really had no reason to be in, either. He got in Melee as an add for Fire Emblem 6 in Japan, pure and simple, and he can't fill that role anymore. As Fire Emblem characters go, he really has nothing to recommend him. Melee aside, hes a Japan-only character, and unlike Marth it doesn't look like they intend to change that. None of the GBA games went over well in Japan, his included. Both in and out of Japan, there are more popular FE characters to choose from - in Japan you have Marth, Sigurd, and Ike, among others; outside there were Ike, Lyn, and Hector at the very least. He has no real significant role within the series, being a typical one-game Lord (yes, he had a cameo at the end of Blazing Sword, but thats a far cry from him having a second starring role). Really, Roy being in Melee is the only reason anyone would consider him as a serious candidate for further SSB games, and as we've seen, that just isn't enough.

Zevox

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There's also the fact that he's the only new character that's not in the SSE's storyline. Really, I do think Sakurai did chose Wolf from the beginning but later down the road realised "Oh crap, this character has even less to work with then Fox..." which basically explains why he became a semi-clone/luigified version of Fox. Really, I can easily see him getting dumped in the next game in favor of Krystal simply because I find it hard to picture Star Fox, a small franchise in it's own right, getting more then 3 reps.

Top Bottom