• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why tripping was put in

salaboB

Smash Champion
I recall an old interview where Sakurai said he was trying to give more freedom to characters in aerial combat (Have to google it to find a link). I'd guess tripping is in to try to encourage that, even though imo he didn't really succeed at making aerial viable enough to drive people off the ground due to the effectiveness shielding/camping still has.

Fugue

Smash Apprentice
If tripping was added to make the game more fun, why is it that so many people would rather not have had it in? I haven't talked to anyone who thinks the game is better with tripping added in than it would have been without, and I'm talking about casual players here.

The only real reason I can see is to help make matches more random, so skill is less important and everyone has a better chance to win. It's a really bad way to do it, and frustrating as heck, but I can't figure anything else out.

Well, the "Sakurai is a troll" excuse would work, but...

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Tripping's funny!
I like watching Ike sitting there with that "...I just fell on my ***" expression.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
tripping is supposed to be an annoyance. what other purpose did tripping serve in real life or anything else? I think it was put in to make the characters seem more "alive". cause there is no way they could do everything in there at the speed they are so perfectly, like melee.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
because it happens in "Real Life"
if your refering to my post let me rephrase, it was put in to make the characters seem more life like in a sense(even if it is a video game). I am tired of the person I am playing as be so dead, and just routinely do everything I put in, I want to play as something that doesnt feel lifeless, tripping just adds to it kinda like stationary actions(like peach streching)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Tripping is in because Sakurai is the most epic troll known to mankind. This can also been seen in:

-Ganondork's lack of sword in anything but taunt
-his subtle mockery of Stafy
-All the mentions of Ridley in the dojo
-the fact that Sonic can ONLY beat Mario (and maybe Yoshi) everyone else pisses in his cornflakes

Of course these are just fanboy ramblings and feel free to shoot me, but do you really doubt that Sakurai wouldn't pull stuff for the lulz?
You forgot:

- Suggesting that Ness was out.
- Essentially ignoring great fighters like Krystal(I don't care if you think her character sucks, she would be an original fighter nonetheless.).
- Giving the space anthros (since Falco has feathers) very similar movesets.
- Giving out clone final smashes.
- Making the Great Maze level
- Not giving proper treatment for MOTHER (lacking trophies), Metroid, and F-Zero( Does this even need to be said?)
- Giving Ness and Lucas similar special moves and FS. More importantly, he gave them moves they don't even learn.

GuMz

Smash Apprentice
if your refering to my post let me rephrase, it was put in to make the characters seem more life like in a sense(even if it is a video game). I am tired of the person I am playing as be so dead, and just routinely do everything I put in, I want to play as something that doesnt feel lifeless, tripping just adds to it kinda like stationary actions(like peach streching)
yeah I was. I actually like tripping it makes the game more "realistic" :)

Talendime

Smash Ace
Tripping doesn't really bother me. It has made me miss the smash ball a few times, among other items.. but I always just laugh.

I do kind of wish he made the Subspace Emissary better. I didn't enjoy it in the least. Seriously!

SEXY

Smash Cadet
so from reading everyones opinion, can i safey say to someone:

"Tripping was added to help avoid competitve play."

nevermind brawl is not meant to just be compeitive but also fun
nevermind u trip in 'real life'
nevermind it being random

consider Deva's didnt want brawl to be competitive
consider sakuri's amazing trolling powers.
consider dojo reference to 'real men use items'
consider the game is also meant for marketing

thumbs up or down?

kario_mart

Smash Cadet
i dont think that this was the greatest thing ever because imagine like the top players in the world and have them fighting for a $10,000 money prize. and one of them trips. thats why i hate it.

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet
i dont think that this was the greatest thing ever because imagine like the top players in the world and have them fighting for a $10,000 money prize. and one of them trips. thats why i hate it.
I'm not gonna lie that,would suck lol

The Fear

Smash Cadet
thumbs down!! While im at it fingers and toes too!! Every time imma about to jump of the edge and knee some helpless victim at close range but then trip, the cut in my soul gets deeper and deeper!! It makes me wanaa scream WHY SAKURI!!!! WHYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! WHAT DID WE EVER DO TO YOU!!! That and about 50 other things

kario_mart

Smash Cadet
so from reading everyones opinion, can i safey say to someone:

"Tripping was added to help avoid competitve play."

nevermind brawl is not meant to just be compeitive but also fun
nevermind u trip in 'real life'
nevermind it being random

consider Deva's didnt want brawl to be competitive
consider sakuri's amazing trolling powers.
consider dojo reference to 'real men use items'
consider the game is also meant for marketing

thumbs up or down?
i think its understandable but if we could take out tripping the game itself, would go more quickly. the game itself feels sslower with tripping and no wavedashing etc.

SEXY

Smash Cadet
thumbs down!! While im at it fingers and toes too!! Every time imma about to jump of the edge and knee some helpless victim at close range but then trip, the cut in my soul gets deeper and deeper!! It makes me wanaa scream WHY SAKURI!!!! WHYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! WHAT DID WE EVER DO TO YOU!!! That and about 50 other things
u mean thumbs up that my statment in bold "" was agreeable(or true)? >_>

Zek

Smash Ace
Bit of trivia: Tripping is officially called "Prat Falling." You can see it in the stats.

I think they added it in a misguided attempt to make the game more fun by adding goofy humor. "oh haha, my character fell on his butt, what a silly sound effect!" I get the feeling Sakurai doesn't approve of people taking his game seriously and implemented it as a subtle jab at that playstyle, which is pretty juvenile if you ask me.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
This is how tripping was made:

Sakurai: Is there any other ways we can screw up competitive play?

Employee: lets see, we already removed wavedashing, dashdancing, L-cancelling, and every other AT, made the game slower and floatier, gave final destination recovery-gimping undersides, and made online play as casual-oriented as possible, despite the fact that that demographic doesn't even play online games. Nope, I think we did everything to screw up competitive play.

Sakurai: no, those darn tourney tards will still find SOME way to make the game competitive. We need to think of a way to make sure brawl is NEVER competitive. But what?

Employee: How about we make it so that you can't turn off items?

Sakurai: No, that would be too obvious! We need to think harder........

*doorbell*

Sakurai: Ugh, I'll get it....

*opens door*

Mother fanboy: Hey, are you going to include the earthbound demo in the american version of SSBB?

Sakurai: well of course....

Mother fanboy: :D

Sakurai: NOT!!:mad:

Mother fanboy: But....it's already translated....why can't you include.... :(

Sakurai: *takes out gun* WTF DID I JUST SAY!!!????!!:mad::mad::mad:

Mother fanboy: EEK!:scared:

Sakurai: You got till the count of 3! 1.....2....

Mother fanboy: *runs away, but then trips on the ground*

Sakurai: 3! :mad: *kills mother fanboy*

Sakurai: poor kid. Could have gotten away had he not randomly tripped like that.........
...wait...
THAT'S IT!

Employee: Who was that?

Sakurai: Just the 291208453 american mother fan that everyone at nintendo keeps on ignoring. But that's unimportant! I have finally found the one way to ruin competitve play once and for all! :flame: And while we're at it, let's screw over those darn machinima artists by removing camera mode as well! >:D

Thus, tripping was born, lol.

kario_mart

Smash Cadet
Bit of trivia: Tripping is officially called "Prat Falling." You can see it in the stats.

I think they added it in a misguided attempt to make the game more fun by adding goofy humor. "oh haha, my character fell on his butt, what a silly sound effect!" I get the feeling Sakurai doesn't approve of people taking his game seriously and implemented it as a subtle jab at that playstyle, which is pretty juvenile if you ask me.
pratfalling was an award in ssbm. just check it out. but i think it does add goofy humor, although i think sakurai didnt mean for it to be like hahahaha everytime but more for a widespread audience.

as an example, people who were new to melee werent good because they didnt no shffling, etc. and when they went up against someone who was good, they wouldnt want to play as much.

now ssbb is slower, and add tripping, taking out most of the things that were found out in ssbm, making it back to sb64. i think ssbb is a more accurate reproduction of what the nintendo team wanted to put out in the first place.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tripping was put in for stupid reasons. There can be no other explanation. No, really.

1) "It's more fun with randomness"
2) "It's to prevent people from dashing around too much" (umm... ok. Wow, how horrible a strategy it is to Foxtrot and dashdance and whatnot! Horrible, horrible!")
3) "It's to prevent people from dashdance-spamming" (no, because they you could just give it a chance of tripping when you turn around right after initiating a dash, not at every dash regardless of how it's done)
4) "It was done to give the slower players a chance" (So you're crippling all players because of this?)

And any other inane reason people put up. No matter why it was put in, any conceivable reason I can think of is stupid. It's like he thinks it's horrible that anyone could become really good at Smash and wants to prevent that from happening at all costs if the reason for putting Tripping in the game is to even out the playing field.

He already made the game intuitive and removed a lot ATs and options in general and made everything easier to do. Does he have to punish you simply for playing the game too well as well?

I personally think he did it "for the lulz" ("It's more fun"), not because he hates competitive gaming. But that could very well be it.

LegendOfZeldaBrawler

Smash Rookie
I like how people find it much much easier to insult one of the creators of this awesome game than to praise them... At least tirkaro did it in an imaginative, comedic way

Maku

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that's what 100% of all Competitive gamers would call "very, very bad".
LOL very true..
yeah the tripping issue kind of annoys me...
Like im going to get a smash attack on someone i move to the correct distance..
AND... tilt the stick...
next thing i know Marth is on the floor like "Wtf"!?
And im just appalled everytime it happens, it's never costed me stocks though..
LMAO!

Top Bottom