• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why tripping was put in

SEXY

Smash Cadet
now, this is my own opinion on why tripping was put in, and if im wrong then smeone simply say:" No, Sexy"

from playing brawl with people, i hear a responds to why they changed one aspect of the game to another because "they mario party it".

now idk what that fully means but from what i recall listening it meant they made it so people just push random buttons.

but from my exp, i noticed that if i were to push buttons on my CG controller as fast as i do in melee in brawl, i get my character doing the complete wrong things or something else.

that might just be me, but i guess id have to go slower at it.

and along with slower, i noticed u cant exactly move as fast with ur character in melee

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ITS A DIFFERENT GAMEEEEE

yeah i know, but what i mean is, i try moving my character as fast as i can in brawl, and i end up tripping.

in my opinion i felt that they put tripping in to avoid players from moving all over the field unstoppable (like fox)

thats just my idea, anyone else feel the same?

Firesoul1

Smash Apprentice
Tripping was made so that the game can be more fun
than melee ( i think ).
The Wii is built on this principle so brawl had to follow
this for better or for worse.

SEXY

Smash Cadet
Tripping was made so that the game can be more fun
than melee ( i think ).
The Wii is built on this principle so brawl had to follow
this for better or for worse.
i felt the tripping was added to avoid 1 person from moving unstoppably giving the other person a chance. so that big time players wouldnt conquer in movement on small time players.

just imo though.. >.>

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Tripping is in because Sakurai is the most epic troll known to mankind. This can also been seen in:

-Ganondork's lack of sword in anything but taunt
-his subtle mockery of Stafy
-All the mentions of Ridley in the dojo
-the fact that Sonic can ONLY beat Mario (and maybe Yoshi) everyone else pisses in his cornflakes

Of course these are just fanboy ramblings and feel free to shoot me, but do you really doubt that Sakurai wouldn't pull stuff for the lulz?

illphil

Smash Apprentice
Tripping is in because Sakurai is the most epic troll known to mankind. This can also been seen in:

-the fact that Sonic can ONLY beat Mario (and maybe Yoshi) everyone else pisses in his cornflakes

Of course these are just fanboy ramblings and feel free to shoot me, but do you really doubt that Sakurai wouldn't pull stuff for the lulz?
You suck with sonic. Don't put the blame on its creator

SEXY

Smash Cadet

i have no idea how to respond to that @_@

Firesoul1

Smash Apprentice
i felt the tripping was added to avoid 1 person from moving unstoppably giving the other person a chance. so that big time players wouldnt conquer in movement on small time players.

just imo though.. >.>

Thats correct as well.
If the game is no fun for the inexperienced crowd
then they would stop playing which is a speed bump
in Nintendo's current marketing strategy.

SEXY

Smash Cadet
Thats correct as well.
If the game is no fun for the inexperienced crowd
then they would stop playing which is a speed bump
in Nintendo's current marketing strategy.
ah-hah, someone agrees with me! perfect :-3

but unfort i have to go now and not support the thread i created :-/

thanks for some ideas though :-3

shadydentist

Smash Lord
in my opinion i felt that they put tripping in to avoid players from moving all over the field unstoppable (like fox)
If thats the case, then its certainly a piss-poor way of doing so. In any event, this is false. Tripping happens whenever you tilt the control stick, which all characters need to do more or less equally. It doesn't really introduce any kind of game balancing, it just becomes an occasional nuisance.

Taking control away from your player is one of the cardinal sins of game design, and it looks like the SSBB team blundered right into that one.

Azumouse

Smash Cadet
Well i think tripping was added because they wanted to eliminate combo's in the most suttle way so they can give the casual gamer's a chance. Same with raising the gravity aswell.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
now, this is my own opinion on why tripping was put in, and if im wrong then smeone simply say:" No, Sexy"

from playing brawl with people, i hear a responds to why they changed one aspect of the game to another because "they mario party it".

now idk what that fully means but from what i recall listening it meant they made it so people just push random buttons.

but from my exp, i noticed that if i were to push buttons on my CG controller as fast as i do in melee in brawl, i get my character doing the complete wrong things or something else.

that might just be me, but i guess id have to go slower at it.

and along with slower, i noticed u cant exactly move as fast with ur character in melee

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ITS A DIFFERENT GAMEEEEE

yeah i know, but what i mean is, i try moving my character as fast as i can in brawl, and i end up tripping.

thats just my idea, anyone else feel the same?
Sakurai just did for the lulz.

kthnxbai

EDIT: Thino beat me. He gets a cookie.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
My opinions for why tripping was added:

A.) A failsafe to the game ever being competitive. After making the game the least competitive as it can be, if players did find ways to exploit the game and make it competitive, there will still be tripping...which nothing can ever be done about.

B.) A continuation of my first reason, but this time as a statement that Nintendo REALLY doesn't want this game to be competitive...sort of like the dojo update "Items are for real men." which imo hinted to the competitive community that they didn't want us to play competitively, without items. This is the same concept. A subtle statement that this game is not meant to be competitive.

smokeybravo

Smash Cadet
My opinions for why tripping was added:

B.) A continuation of my first reason, but this time as a statement that Nintendo REALLY doesn't want this game to be competitive...sort of like the dojo update "Items are for real men." which imo hinted to the competitive community that they didn't want us to play competitively, without items. This is the same concept. A subtle statement that this game is not meant to be competitive.

Right on the money. The devs have already stated that this game is about fun, not competition.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
It was just one more way for Sakurai to force his way of playing the game upon us. A lot of people say we should play the game anyway we would like, but this is one thing we have no control over, and it limits how well we can play.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
It was just one more way for Sakurai to force his way of playing the game upon us. A lot of people say we should play the game anyway we would like, but this is one thing we have no control over, and it limits how well we can play.
Stfu you dont know anything go die in a fire.

lol

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Lol Jessie. You know it's true. It sounds overbearing I know. But I do feel that at every level competitive players have been undermined by the development team to confound us with this game that can only be relegated to casual play.

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet
Me personally I never liked how the video game industry always catered to the general mass public and always left the hardcore gamers in the dark like what I mean is SSBB as much as the game is still the best game on the Wii and best game of the year but compared to melee it's diet melee or melee-light such as Halo 3 I considered it Halo Lite or Diet Halo becuase compared to Halo 2 and it's HUGE competitive following(Preferred game of MLG beside good ol' Melee)and many other pro leagues around the world,they did a bunch of s*** with halo 3 that wasn't cool(made the Needler the best gun ever when it was the worst gun in the history of FPS's,Items,Weaker BR,Maulers is a double edged sword)to make it easier for ppl who never played a Halo game in their life but it was the most anticipated title for the 360 so what was Bungie (and Microsoft) gonna do?

And such as the case with brawl,I wasn't even expecting Nintendo in which one of their most anticipated titles(My mission for getting my Wii was for this game alone even when the Wii was called the Revolution and not LOZ:TP although TP was in my opinion the BEST ZELDA GAME SINCE OOT but that's a different story)so such as everyone else thought the same thing I think so even if Nintendo made this game just for us alone and left the retirement home ppl and any other demographic of the so called "casual gamer" in the dark then Nintendo would go bankrupt just because they tried to please a small community over a mass audience so I guess if I was a big corporate video game company sadly I do the same thing.

Sorry for the drawn out post but reading this I had to get into a speech on video game economics for why they introduced gay tripping into the game oh by the way Halo 3 sucks I just used it as an example on why they made halo 3 gay over pwnage halo 2 such as what they did with SSB but unlike Halo 3 SSBB still pwns but I guess we got to give the new players a chance.

smokeybravo

Smash Cadet
That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard...

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Tripping is a life lesson.

It teaches us that there just sometimes things beyond our control, no matter how much we fight against it.

To prevent tripping, one can simply walk slowly, but in life tripping is a small price to pay for the ability to run at full speed.

Sakurai, he is a philosophical one.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
Tripping was added just to **** things up, no more, no less. It's just Sakurai being the master troll of the internet.

Some people like to say it was for "fun", but I don't see how. I've played Brawl with many people who don't know anything competitive smash and only played Melee for fun; the one common thought they all have about Brawl is that tripping is annoying as hell. The very first remark one of my casual friends made during our very first match was, "What the hell, why did I just fall into your smash like that?" He honestly didn't believe me when I told him it was totally random.

Firesoul1

Smash Apprentice
Tripping was added just to **** things up, no more, no less. It's just Sakurai being the master troll of the internet.

Some people like to say it was for "fun", but I don't see how. I've played Brawl with many people who don't know anything competitive smash and only played Melee for fun; the one common thought they all have about Brawl is that tripping is annoying as hell. The very first remark one of my casual friends made during our very first match was, "What the hell, why did I just fall into your smash like that?" He honestly didn't believe me when I told him it was totally random.
Are any of your friends younger than you like
i don't know, 12-14? Again, the Wii is really meant
for this kind of age group or for the elderly to enjoy
this game.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
Are any of your friends younger than you like
i don't know, 12-14? Again, the Wii is really meant
for this kind of age group or for the elderly to enjoy
this game.
Manhunt 2 would like a word with you.

Vet

Smash Cadet
Could tripping be in due to the fact that the animation was needed for Diddy's banana peels (and the item) and when the character model accidentally replicates the postition that they are put in from the banana peel that they trip.

Thats my theory on it, but it may need some testing.

darthryan

Smash Rookie
Could tripping be in due to the fact that the animation was needed for Diddy's banana peels (and the item) and when the character model accidentally replicates the postition that they are put in from the banana peel that they trip.

Thats my theory on it, but it may need some testing.

thats kind of what i was thinking.
i think that when they made the tripping animation for diddy, they decided to add the random tripping.
tripping blows, especially for competitive play, but sometimes it can be rather amusing...

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Tripping was added for two reasons.

A) LULZ, I get a kick out of seeing people trip, and I always wanted video games to do it. ^^

B) Its keeps people from pressing you non stop. Sure, that might be your strategy as a character, but um... deal with it? Endless pressure was what made Fox and Falco way to strong remember?

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
i think tripping was added just for the lulz , so your friend can laugh at you "haha you tripped lol"
I have to agree with this, I guess.

Tripping is just a random lame technique. If 1 person is that much better than another, tripping maybe 1, 2 times, 3 tops a round will not even the match up. Good players will beat bad players, so the series is based on.

Puffs

Smash Ace
-2:00 being the default in VS mode, not to mention 2:00 and items being the only choice in With Anyone

-Three stocks on Normal being the default in Solo, and making the "ready to fight" bar clickable so we accidentally hit that before changing our stocks and difficulty

I completely agree with you.

MaximoSmasher

Smash Apprentice
I don't think its to stop people from being competitive, I think its to show people you can STILL enjoy a game and even play it competitively when it has randomness in it.

JFox

Smash Hero
I personally believe that Sakurai was trying to do away with the Dash Dance that people exploited in both Melee and 64. He seemed to give extraordinarily small dash distances to all characters, and even if you try to use that small dash to dash dance (which is almost completely ineffective) you are more likely to trip, which would thwart your efforts and give your opponent the upperhand.

That is if its not just for the lulz.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Tripping is in the game because Sonic runs too fast and Sakurai wanted a way to be able to laugh at him. Sakurai has a secret hatred for Sonic.

Seriously though its just a silly thing. I doubt it has any real purpose. I could ask him but I'll need his phone number.

Top Bottom