• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Why the Wii-U version will be the KEY!

Graizen

Smash Champion
Think about it :

The Wii-U version need to sell alot. The Wii-U need it , and Nintendo know about it.
Why would Nintendo let it cool now?
The 3DS version in my opinion is not the final version , just like Mario Kart 8. And the Wii-U version will have more Characters , conecting the 2 versions will complete it.
The Nintendo Wii-U version having more characters is not bad at all , they can update the 3DS version after that.
Just think about it! The Wii-U version is in NEED of something to make it great and diferent. Having more Characters , adventure mode , more stages , etc.

What do you think?

( Sorry for my bad english )

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
...I don't get the point.
Is it because it will sell Wii U consoles? Well sure. It's Smash.
Are you implying that the 3DS inferior and should be treated as such? Well the 3DS is not bad by any means. It's still good. Also, Sakurai already stated that the roster is the same for both versions.
Is it a plea for the Wii U version to be unique? Well I'd assume so. They are meant for different purposes after all.

I'm trying to figure out the point of the message, cause to me it's all over the place.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
I hope you're right, but having dlc characters for the 3DS version when the Wii U comes out, is wishful thinking. I really hope it ends up happening, but it's very unlikely.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I hope you're right, but having dlc characters for the 3DS version when the Wii U comes out, is wishful thinking. I really hope it ends up happening, but it's very unlikely.
It could be that the characters are already hidden within the 3DS game, just waiting to be unlocked by the wiiu

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm up for a transfer unlock, but I think the key to the U is them making a Smash bundle available so those of us without U's can get one with the game included.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I'm up for a transfer unlock, but I think the key to the U is them making a Smash bundle available so those of us without U's can get one with the game included.
They could just have the characters become available, or possible to unlock after the wii u version is released.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We'll know once they hack the game to find out if any character files exist. Ice Climbers is almost entirely a given(depending when he stopped working on them, and he could've removed all their data if he didn't plan to revive them via DLC, or just remove all their data to make sure people don't have false hope).

Raijinken

Smash Master
They could just have the characters become available, or possible to unlock after the wii u version is released.
I agree, and would prefer that, but I would not be opposed to making cross-linking them a faster way. Make something similar for the U (restrict four of the hiddens to crosslinking) if it happens, though.

I'm all for clever unlock methods, but most importantly I don't want people who, for instance, don't have access to the other console to be restricted, so it's best if there are multiple methods per character.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
How else are the two systems supposed to connect? For which purpose?

Transferring loot? Mii characters? Cross-platform fighting?

This theory is certainly a possibility. I hope we find out about this on the Treehouse stream.

Spirst

Imagine if Smash went the route of having exclusive characters based off of where you pre-ordered the game from. At that point, I'd just stop frantically throwing my money at the games supporting the series.

Last edited:

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
I definitely think something has to be planned for the Wii U version as well. Wii U doesn't have a mode or anything unique to it that Nintendo's advertising has been doing for the 3DS version and Smash Run. Whether it be new modes, more characters, whatever, there has to be something. Sakurai and Nintendo need to keep the hype going for another 1-2 months.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
...I don't get the point.
Is it because it will sell Wii U consoles? Well sure. It's Smash.
Are you implying that the 3DS inferior and should be treated as such? Well the 3DS is not bad by any means. It's still good. Also, Sakurai already stated that the roster is the same for both versions.
Is it a plea for the Wii U version to be unique? Well I'd assume so. They are meant for different purposes after all.

I'm trying to figure out the point of the message, cause to me it's all over the place.
Your missing the point here. What he's saying is the Wii u version can come packaged with more characters to get us hyped while their free dlc for the 3ds version. The rosters would still be the same this way.

Also no where did he say the 3ds version is bad in anyway. People are far to defensive on the 3ds version on here sometimes.

Edit: I'm really hoping this is the case I love how much their expanding mk8 and it would be a shame if smash Wii u didn't get the same treatment.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I doubt we're going to see more characters on either version, Sakurai has stated time and time and again that both versions have the same roster, even as recently as the Smash Direct. The Wii U version might have more stages and modes though.

Last edited:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Think about it :

The Wii-U version need to sell alot. The Wii-U need it , and Nintendo know about it.
The 3DS version in my opinion is not the final version , just like Mario Kart 8. And the Wii-U version will have more Characters , conecting the 2 versions will complete it.
The Nintendo Wii-U version having more characters is not bad at all , they can update the 3DS version after that.
Just think about it! The Wii-U version is in NEED of something to make it great and diferent. Having more Characters , adventure mode , more stages , etc.

What do you think?

A poster on reddit actually posted something today which goes hand-in-hand with your theory.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129524882&postcount=14153

He seems SOMEWHAT reliable as well.

I doubt we're going to see more characters on either version, Sakurai has stated time and time and again that both versions have the same roster, even as recently as the Smash Direct. The Wii U version might have more stages and modes though.
I also recall Sakurai stating he was going to do away with clones, and look how that turned out.

Last edited:

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Think about it :
And the Wii-U version will have more Characters , conecting the 2 versions will complete it.
Don't know why people believe that, you already get a free physical copy of the soundtrack when you register both games. I think that's the only incentive you get.

Edit: I'm sure characters will come in DLC form though

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
Think about it :

What do you think?

I don't think it'll have more characters as they have said that it'll be the same roster across both. It would be a move not a lot of 3ds fans would like if they had to buy the Wii U and the game to get the rest of the characters.

Adventure mode likely isn't going to change, how much more content would possibly be worth it unless you are a superfan? You already played the game, got all the characters, and can play the main attraction of the game which is playing with your friends no matter how you play. I know several of my casual smash friends don't care at all for the Wii U version because they can already get the 3ds version which is cheaper and still get the full experience(for them).

To some this is a 60$ upgrade but to others it is 360$ and I still cannot see anybody dropping that much for just smash if they haven't gotten a Wii U already due to the games that are already out on it or will be out.

I do think that there is a small chance they'll put in more competitive mechanics and make the game more competitive friendly in the Wii U version with possible re balancing of what is found to be too strong or unfairly glitchy in the 3DS version(Rush cancelling out of light hitstun is one that I think shouldn't happen regardless of who you are). If they simply added at least one of these two things, dash dancing and air momentum carrying over from run and jump properly then I would consider actually buying multiple copies for the smash scene I organize at my college. And I'm sure other competitive groups would consider doing so as well.

And I say this because most Japanese fighting games come out in arcades first to players so they can find issues and balance and such.

I think some people might be mad at me but honestly I'm just trying to look at it rationally. Your average parent or averege Joe won't buy a whole new system or the same game twice but in HD less than half a year after the 3ds version releases that is cheaper. People who stick it out for the Wii U version likely already had one. It is going to take a TON of convincing to get people to buy it again, and even then some people won't because they already have the game.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I don't think it'll have more characters as they have said that it'll be the same roster across both. It would be a move not a lot of 3ds fans would like if they had to buy the Wii U and the game to get the rest of the characters.

Adventure mode likely isn't going to change, how much more content would possibly be worth it unless you are a superfan? You already played the game, got all the characters, and can play the main attraction of the game which is playing with your friends no matter how you play. I know several of my casual smash friends don't care at all for the Wii U version because they can already get the 3ds version which is cheaper and still get the full experience(for them).

To some this is a 60$ upgrade but to others it is 360$ and I still cannot see anybody dropping that much for just smash if they haven't gotten a Wii U already due to the games that are already out on it or will be out.

I do think that there is a small chance they'll put in more competitive mechanics and make the game more competitive friendly in the Wii U version with possible re balancing of what is found to be too strong or unfairly glitchy in the 3DS version(Rush cancelling out of light hitstun is one that I think shouldn't happen regardless of who you are). If they simply added at least one of these two things, dash dancing and air momentum carrying over from run and jump properly then I would consider actually buying multiple copies for the smash scene I organize at my college. And I'm sure other competitive groups would consider doing so as well.

And I say this because most Japanese fighting games come out in arcades first to players so they can find issues and balance and such.

I think some people might be mad at me but honestly I'm just trying to look at it rationally. Your average parent or averege Joe won't buy a whole new system or the same game twice but in HD less than half a year after the 3ds version releases that is cheaper. People who stick it out for the Wii U version likely already had one. It is going to take a TON of convincing to get people to buy it again, and even then some people won't because they already have the game.
I really do wonder how many of the people who say they'll buy both versions actually will. There are quite a number of people on here who say they will, but I believe that once the majority of these people get their 3DS version and get their "fix", they aren't going to bother with the Wii U one. I reckon not even half of these people will follow through in the end unless they have money to throw around. As for you point about Wii U owners, I agree with that as well, as it applies to me too (already have a Wii U and plan to wait it out).

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I could definitely see this happening.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Imagine if Smash went the route of having exclusive characters based off of where you pre-ordered the game from. At that point, I'd just stop frantically throwing my money at the games supporting the series.
Realising that this exact scenario is being played out with Hyrule Warriors for costume DLC, saying this for SSB4 is more plausible than most would think.

HiFlo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hi.Flo
3DS FC
1865-1068-2662
I really do wonder how many of the people who say they'll buy both versions actually will. There are quite a number of people on here who say they will, but I believe that once the majority of these people get their 3DS version and get their "fix", they aren't going to bother with the Wii U one. I reckon not even half of these people will follow through in the end unless they have money to throw around. As for you point about Wii U owners, I agree with that as well, as it applies to me too (already have a Wii U and plan to wait it out).
I have a Wii U and am waiting it out also. As much as I want to play the new smash ASAP, I know that ultimately I will only play on the Wii U once it comes out so I can't justify the 3DS purchase. Maybe there will be some incentives for folks being patient and willing to buy the Wii U, since I would not have a Wii U at the moment if Sm4sh wasn't coming out for it.

Can we just get a release date already?! The not knowing part is killing me..

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
The roster's pretty lame, I know. But don't get too wishfull on yourself, this is only as much as Sakurai's team managed to do for now.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
I'm getting the Wii U first. I bought that expensive thing with only a handful of games (a handful of games that are pretty good) and I really want to experience the next game in my favorite series in glorious HD on my glorious HD TV. I'm not wasting $40 on the 3ds version when I already have to buy the Wii U version ($60), A new gamecube controller because mine broke ($15?) and a gamecube adapter ($30?). That totals up to about $105 not including tx. Doesn't it suck to be a dedicated fan to something when you have to work for your money? Also Luigi looks amazing in HD.

Last edited:

Spirst

I really hope the Wii U version is more polished. It irks me that the 3DS one uses same sound effects from Brawl. In my opinion, it's a lazy way out and detracts from the "new game" feel.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No he didn't. They'd have the same roster overall. He never said when they would. He's a trollish mind and is great at stretching truths. This is something that he'd do and it would not be a lie at all.

Adding more characters to the 3DS roster once the Wii U releases with a few more is perfect viable, if not a viable interpretation of what he said.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
No he didn't. They'd have the same roster overall. He never said when they would. He's a trollish mind and is great at stretching truths. This is something that he'd do and it would not be a lie at all.

Adding more characters to the 3DS roster once the Wii U releases with a few more is perfect viable, if not a viable interpretation of what he said.
"I don’t have a preference whether they own the Wii U version or the 3DS version or both versions..."

AKA he wants everybody to be equal, like always. He always is trying to appeal to the silent majority, up to and including the kids without a Wii U, internet, or Amiibo money.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"I don’t have a preference whether they own the Wii U version or the 3DS version or both versions..."

AKA he wants everybody to be equal, like always. He always is trying to appeal to the silent majority, up to and including the kids without a Wii U, internet, or Amiibo money.
They still would be, you realize? Connect both versions. Get them via DLC.

And if you really think DLC won't happen for this game, you're making almost everyone laugh. We all know it's happening. Or did you forget he confirmed DLC yesterday in the PotD? Day 1 patches for the Japanese version. Internet only. He already made the internet required. Too late to assume he won't do it when he already did, bro.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
They still would be, you realize? Connect both versions. Get them via DLC.

And if you really think DLC won't happen for this game, you're making almost everyone laugh. We all know it's happening. Or did you forget he confirmed DLC yesterday in the PotD? Day 1 patches for the Japanese version. Internet only. He already made the internet required. Too late to assume he won't do it when he already did, bro.
DLC =/= patches. All it did was enable online and add an online mode that's been mentioned in the SSB3D E3 reel, apparently.

You are making a fool of yourself, as Sakurai has said he outright hates DLC in the past.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
DLC =/= patches. All it did was enable online and add an online mode that's been mentioned in the SSB3D E3 reel, apparently.

You are making a fool of yourself, as Sakurai has said he outright hates DLC in the past.
Patches are DLC if they require the internet, you know. There is no difference between them. At all. You are download internet content. What do you think patches are that don't require putting in an offline piece of software? Downloadable Content.

He also said "We have no plans for DLC at this time." The fact he already did DLC means you're outright wrong on this front no matter what. And don't talk down to people. That's uncool, man.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Patches are DLC if they require the internet, you know. There is no difference between them. At all. You are download internet content. What do you think patches are that don't require putting in an offline piece of software? Downloadable Content.

He also said "We have no plans for DLC at this time." The fact he already did DLC means you're outright wrong on this front no matter what. And don't talk down to people. That's uncool, man.
Yes, but patches don't offer anything to play offline. Ergo, they weren't going use the feature anyway.

Wrong quote. "DLC is the bane of the industry" was what I was looking for. Don't tell me that it wasn't his idea or that he changed his mind, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes, but patches don't offer anything to play offline. Ergo, they weren't going use the feature anyway.

Wrong quote. "DLC is the bane of the industry" was what I was looking for. Don't tell me that it wasn't his idea or that he changed his mind, that's absolutely ridiculous.
I guess Lucina isn't playable then, now is she? I mean, he totally didn't change his mind, right?

Likewise, the problem is the paid variant. And then there's Nintendo and Namco, who outright push DLC now. Yeah, we're getting dlc. Not worth denying it, since it already happened.

And no, patches and dlc are literally the same thing. They are downloads that add some type of content to the game. Trying to play semantics won't change a single thing. He went back on that by introducing dlc period. He already changed his mind. Again. Like before when he put Villager in.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I guess Lucina isn't playable then, now is she? I mean, he totally didn't change his mind, right?

Likewise, the problem is the paid variant. And then there's Nintendo and Namco, who outright push DLC now. Yeah, we're getting dlc. Not worth denying it, since it already happened.

And no, patches and dlc are literally the same thing. They are downloads that add some type of content to the game. Trying to play semantics won't change a single thing. He went back on that by introducing dlc period. He already changed his mind. Again. Like before when he put Villager in.
No, he didn't. She was always going to be playable. She was promoted, as Sakurai said. And this isn't something anybody would just flip-flop on, and you know it.

Sakurai is in control, because he can sabotage the sales of the game/DLC by telling the fans it's bad. Or in reverse, Sakurai getting fired would hurt the sales quite deeply.

No, they have different names and definitions. Different = different. :colorful:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
First, there is no difference between DLC and patches. They are downloaded content. Semantics are useless here. They're the same thing in the end. DLC and Patches(which are both content downloaded onto a game or system overall) are as different as Color and Colour.

Second, there is no way Sakurai would actually do that, nor would he want to. He's a funny troll, but he isn't going to ruin it for people because Nintendo forced him to do more dlc than he originally planned.

Third, she was not originally going to be playable. I don't know where you got that idea. She was going to be an alt, just like Male Wii Fit Trainer, and nothing more. He changed his mind and promoted her later. He even said that.

Lastly, please don't use that smiley. It was making my screen flash till I erased it after I quoted you. My eyes are in a lot of pain right now.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
First, there is no difference between DLC and patches. They are downloaded content. Semantics are useless here. They're the same thing in the end. DLC and Patches(which are both content downloaded onto a game or system overall) are as different as Color and Colour.

Second, there is no way Sakurai would actually do that, nor would he want to. He's a funny troll, but he isn't going to ruin it for people because Nintendo forced him to do more dlc than he originally planned.

Third, she was not originally going to be playable. I don't know where you got that idea. She was going to be an alt, just like Male Wii Fit Trainer, and nothing more. He changed his mind and promoted her later. He even said that.

Lastly, please don't use that smiley. It was making my screen flash till I erased it after I quoted you. My eyes are in a lot of pain right now.
You are using the term "Downloadable content" too literally. This was a patch, because Sakurai said it was a patch. Until Sakurai says it was DLC, you're not convincing anyone.

Evidence? He could be an egotistical psycho for all we know.

"She was going to be an alt..." AKA playable. Alph is playable in SSB4, is he not? Don't go arguing semantics, playable means playable.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, ignoring blatant trolling(because there's no way you can honestly expect us to take this kind of crap seriously) now. I can't wait for him to give more dlc like he did earlier.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, ignoring blatant trolling(because there's no way you can honestly expect us to take this kind of crap seriously) now. I can't wait for him to give more dlc like he did earlier.
Please explain how me claiming semantics is any worse then when you did? They eyes of the onlookers don't lie.

Top Bottom