• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Smash Tournaments are Crazy

D

Deleted member

idk i've been on smashboards for 12 years, and as soon as we get "professional" and stop crashing hotels, sleeping on floors, and getting kicked out of venues, i'll leave. being grown up and responsible is what my dayjob is for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Britex

Smash Apprentice
Want to know why smashers play so much friendlies at tournaments? Because getting people to play melee with you is hard.

If, say, I'm a blazblue player going to his second tournament and I get bodied and drops out early in the tournament, I won't feel the need to play 100 friendlies because I know that as soon as I get back home I can turn on my console and play online matches all day versus people around my skill level.

Melee is a different story. Melee is an old; very old game, played on a console that few owns nowadays and with even fewer people that know the intricacies of the game. If you live in a small town, chances are you won't get anyone to play with unless you're close to a community of players or are lucky enough to have friends that play Melee. Your goal is to get better, so you'll play alone all the time but achieve little because cpus are limited training partners. So when that rare tournament shows up in your area and that you can actually go to it, knowing that you probably won't make it out pools and most likely will get to play versus real players for like 5 or 6 tournament games, your first reflex will be to play friendlies as much as possible with as many as possible. Not only to get your money's worth, but also because you know you won't get to smash again for the months to come.

And so, telling people to stop playing friendlies because otherwise the tournament is gonna run a little late may be insensitive. Not everyone has your luck.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I understand people wanting to play Melee so much that they take over setups just for friendlies, but really it's not unreasonable to ask tournament attendees to quit acting like school-age children just because that's how they act everywhere else. There really should be some ground rules laid out for tourneys to keep things running smoothly. If people don't want to follow the rules then they shouldn't bother showing up. The rules could be as simple as "give setups to players who are still in the tournament" and "don't crowd walking areas to the point where it becomes a fire hazard". Honestly, these aren't difficult concepts to grasp, and I'm surprised it's such an issue for so many people.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Snexus 2 in 2003 had 50 players trying to play in a space maybe 30*20 feet. We didn't get done and everyone relocated to a nearby hotel for the Top 5, which was fairly significant at the time given Midwest vs. Cali was still new. Given the sheer number of people who had never even been to a tournament before, it was mass chaos, but fun mass chaos.

AcidM

Smash Rookie
Wouldn't the solution just be more setups brought by people in order to have those friendly's then.

MrTea

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0189-8820-9279
Maybe have some friendly/tourny only set ups? Probably not too practical though, just a thought.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Personally I feel that the tournaments sometime drag on a bit too long. Luckily the ones I've been to haven't dragged on later than 10 pm, but having them past midnight just sounds a bit overkill to me.

michael_li

Smash Ace
thanks to duck for forfeiting. he wouldve just get 3-0 by m2k anyway. no point playing, its not like he has a chance LOL. props to him for saving time.

D

Deleted member

Don't forget pheonix saga 6 last december. Top 5 had to be finished in someones house at like 1 am or so lol

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Maybe have some friendly/tourny only set ups? Probably not too practical though, just a thought.
Many large tournaments do just that. However, it is often the case that people will play friendlies on tournament setups anyways.

It's a bad habit of the community that needs to go away.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Longest tournament I ever went to was in Des Moines, IA. Went from 10 a.m. Saturday to 6 a.m. Sunday.

We had to finish it in the TO's basement.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I'm still wondering where you get the power to run the tv and gamecube/wii from the back of a car.

Top Bottom