• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Shrek?

ThatSmasherYouKnow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
link12014
3DS FC
3883-6073-2419
Why, out of all the fictional characters to make weird, why Shrek? I understand that his movie has subtle adult jokes, but that should not be enough to justify the abuse he is receiving.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I guess it's because the Internet is just the perfect place for people to get away with saying really pointless and silly things they do not mean or think without repercussions for their actions.

I guess it's because the Internet is just the perfect place for people to get away with saying really pointless and silly things they do not mean or think without repercussions for their actions.
That doesn't sound like the Internet at all.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I mean, the Shrek moves were pretty good. At least the first two.

Mr Snakey

Odango bazooka!
NNID
perlacambara1996
-__- Glad to see people are taking this thread seriously xD
Hmmm well lemme try to answer your question about my litttleee shrek~! Internet people try their best to make cartoons as weird as they can or some mumbo jumbo like that. Shrek is a big green ogre with powerful ogrehands. Perfect candidate if I do say so myself. :happysheep: Oh and somebody wrote the shrek is love fanfic which basically sparked it allllllllll.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Despite the amount of dull imitators it spawned, Shrek was genuinely groundbreaking in 2001, so a lot of people have much fonder memories of it than most other CGI films in the new millennium (most of which are, you guessed it, the aforementioned dull imitators). In addition, the amount and scale of aggressive marketing it had at the time rivaled that of Minions, so it pretty much has a permanent spot in our generation's memory.

Last edited:

Mr Snakey

Odango bazooka!
NNID
perlacambara1996
Despite the amount of dull imitators it spawned, Shrek was genuinely groundbreaking in 2001, so a lot of people have much fonder memories of it than most other films in the new millennium. In addition, the amount and scale of aggressive marketing it had at the time rivaled that of Minions, so it pretty much has a permanent spot in our generation's memory.
I'm pretty sure the op was referencing about why shrek is a meme on the internet or something like that. I may be wrong but yeah, shrek is awesomeeee, First two movies were greaatttt. I remember having my first shrek snicker bar >w< Mmmm.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm pretty sure the op was referencing about why shrek is a meme on the internet or something like that. I may be wrong but yeah, shrek is awesomeeee, First two movies were greaatttt. I remember having my first shrek snicker bar >w< Mmmm.
Yeah, I know. I'm saying that the place it has in our childhoods is probably a big factor in its becoming a meme.

Mr Snakey

Odango bazooka!
NNID
perlacambara1996
Yeah, I know. I'm saying that the place it has in our childhoods is probably a big factor in its becoming a meme.
Yeahhhh, have you had any shrek branded foods back then? I know there were tons of it, but all I got to have is the snicker bar. XP

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
The internet meme of "Shrek is love, Shrek is life" was a spawn of many produced by 4chan so it was bound to catch on in time.

Internet meme aside, Shrek is among the more memorable CGi animated films next to Pixar's Toy Story and is recognizable by a large amount of people who were children in the late '90s to early '00s. The films are notable for their parody of fairy tale tropes and pop-culture references that are still relevant today.

Mr Snakey

Odango bazooka!
NNID
perlacambara1996
The internet meme of "Shrek is love, Shrek is life" was a spawn of many produced by 4chan so it was bound to catch on in time.

Internet meme aside, Shrek is among the more memorable CGi animated films next to Pixar's Toy Story and is recognizable by a large amount of people who were children in the late '90s to early '00s. The films are notable for their parody of fairy tale tropes and pop-culture references that are still relevant today.
Yee, Well said Mr space!

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
People are finally now realizing that Shrek is better than Mario and Toy Story.....COMBINED.

The love for Shrek had been compounding with interest as it lay dormant, 4chan opened Pandora's box and shone the light on the inevitable.

JBX9001

Smash Rookie
NNID
JBX9001
I blame "Shrek is Love, Shrek is Life". It's gotten to the point where I question if any of Shrek's fans love him for the actual movies or just because of the memes... All I'm hoping is that whoever wrote that "story" wasn't talking about themselves...

And I also hope those fans realize by now that those votes for Shrek in the Smash Ballot are inevitably going into the Recycle Bin to be permanently deleted later.

Mr Snakey

Odango bazooka!
NNID
perlacambara1996
I blame "Shrek is Love, Shrek is Life". It's gotten to the point where I question if any of Shrek's fans love him for the actual movies or just because of the memes... All I'm hoping is that whoever wrote that "story" wasn't talking about themselves...

And I also hope those fans realize by now that those votes for Shrek in the Smash Ballot are inevitably going into the Recycle Bin to be permanently deleted later.
I think the memes are funny, and I also like shrek. If the shrek is love story really was describing the author, then that would be weird lol.

JBX9001

Smash Rookie
NNID
JBX9001
I think the memes are funny, and I also like shrek. If the shrek is love story really was describing the author, then that would be weird lol.
I guess so, and I really like Shrek 2! I never actually read the fanfic itself, but my brothers watched the "Youtubers React to Shrek is Love, Shrek is Life" video (I think that's the name). The footage was disturbing...

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's just a **** meme dude.

Top Bottom