• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why no triple battle tournaments

would you like for more 3vs3 competitive tournaments

• yeah

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • would be nice

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • wouldn't mind

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • absoulutely no

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
this might be kinda sorta long but it'll be appreciated if you finish reading the thread before replying

i honestly don't understand why nobody is organizing triple battle tourneys especially after the inclusion of more stages and the removal of stage bosses in 8-player-smash

i mean i get why the bigger blast zones could cause debate but the fights will get more hectic and fast paced so you'd get damage faster anyway "fast paced" is that key word i will get back to later

also it's not like the damage your getting is not your fault its not like you got hit due to a random factor it's still all about them skills

now back to "fast paced" i know this gonna be the most controversial part but stick with me through it alright?

even tough the higher chance of getting hit due to the sheer business of the stage might warrant more defensive play which is less hype that same sheer business will also make matches more intense rewatchable and might give the tourneys more character variety

also it's not like 3vs3 will replace 2vs2 or 1vs1 we will always have those and don't reply to me that EVO or APEX or whatever aren't planing any 3vs3 tourneys as i already aknowledge that i'm just supporting more variety in the smash competitive scene that is for many people (including me) getting kinda sorta stall

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Removal of stage bosses in 8-player-smash... I think you've figured out the secret to making more stages competitive. Just run them in 8 player smash!

Has this been thought of before?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Removal of stage bosses in 8-player-smash... I think you've figured out the secret to making more stages competitive. Just run them in 8 player smash!

Has this been thought of before?
Yep. But you have to have five players enter the match, making it only really feasible for doubles where you only need one extra player. Any less than five players, the game just loads the regular gimmick form of stages anyways.

3v3 and 4v4 are done occasionally, but it's unfortunately not caught on.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Yep. But you have to have five players enter the match, making it only really feasible for doubles where you only need one extra player. Any less than five players, the game just loads the regular gimmick form of stages anyways.

3v3 and 4v4 are done occasionally, but it's unfortunately not caught on.
Yeah, I suppose suiciding out 3 players isn't really practical.

Kevdo

Smash Cadet
All the tournaments I've been to recently have not even offered doubles for Smash 4. However, some people will always stick around for friendlies and 8 player Smash. We play 2v2v2v2 or 4v4, etc. They are a lot of fun and crazy, and I'd love to see them implemented more.

This is where we, as community members, come in though. We have the ability to host these ourselves if enough interest is found.

Last edited:

TIL

Smash Rookie
NNID
SDMdom
I've been into this idea for awhile. But I didn't think until reading your thread: if it happens, it'd probably better to only allow 1 of each character. I'd get bored of 6 Sheik's.

Edit: 1 per team*. Although draft pick could be kinda cool too.

Last edited:

TheASDF

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheASDF
There's actually a 3v3 tournament in Ontario coming up soon. Would be 4v4 but they think they'll get more entrants if it's only 3. Honestly, I think that's the biggest reason it's not catching on more; it's kind of hard to get a team of 3 or 4 people that work well together, and then also get practice playing in that format. That, and the whole format being new.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
3v3 matches are the definition of hype, and with stage hazards being removed with 5+ players in a match, you don't even have to have one external player using the GamePad SD to let the match start on stages like Pyrosphere & Norfair.

I really hope they become a standard format in the future.

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
Some 3v3 over at NinjaLink's channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUOOjdggLYk
i saw those before. thanks anyway!

There's actually a 3v3 tournament in Ontario coming up soon. Would be 4v4 but they think they'll get more entrants if it's only 3. Honestly, I think that's the biggest reason it's not catching on more; it's kind of hard to get a team of 3 or 4 people that work well together, and then also get practice playing in that format. That, and the whole format being new.
great news so the community is warming up to the idea

3v3 matches are the definition of hype, and with stage hazards being removed with 5+ players in a match, you don't even have to have one external player using the GamePad SD to let the match start on stages like Pyrosphere & Norfair.

I really hope they become a standard format in the future.
i can just imagine the craziness that is a 3vs3+custom match

Last edited by a moderator:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Yeah, I suppose suiciding out 3 players isn't really practical.
Practical? Probably not? Possible and a hoot to watch? Absolutely :)

I really like the concept of 3v3 tournaments. I can't keep track of myself in 8 player smash but 5-6 players seems to be just the right number.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
i saw those before. thanks anyway!

great news so the community is warming up to the idea

i can just imagine the craziness that is a 3vs3+custom match
Instead of double posting, please use the edit function.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
3v3 seems incredibly fun to watch. 4v4 is a little too chaotic but I can see 3v3 being very tactical.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
As cool as it would be, that's a LOOOOT of people to get to one tournament. That's a LOOOOT of practicing and organizing practices with three/four different peoples' schedules.

I think the problem isn't that people aren't interested in doing it, it's the extreme amount of effort it would require to make it a thing.

Also, it'd be kinda hard to fit six/eight people on a couch.
:shades:

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
Instead of double posting, please use the edit function.
k thanks
As cool as it would be, that's a LOOOOT of people to get to one tournament. That's a LOOOOT of practicing and organizing practices with three/four different peoples' schedules.

I think the problem isn't that people aren't interested in doing it, it's the extreme amount of effort it would require to make it a thing.
Also, it'd be kinda hard to fit six/eight people on a couch.:shades:
i would imagine that'd be the case but years thought that the smash community either has too little time or has too mush free time (and now that apex has ended and evo still the way there is too much damn time)
Hey, there's one right now on CT.
link please i cant seem to find them

Last edited:

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
3 vs. 3 is fine, but if I'm gonna do squads, 4 vs. 4 is the most glorious.
i don't know that might be a bit too much for the new breastfed smash community

anyway would make sense since sports and moba's (some the most competitive shiz ever) usualy feature way more

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
i don't know that might be a bit too much for the new breastfed smash community
When I was just a lad, my father said "The Altrox, it's time you learned how to swim!" Rather than signing me up for swimming lessons like a wimp, he picked me up and threw me into the pool. For a moment, I flailed about, but eventually, I figured out how to stay afloat.

In short, I immersed myself in an uncomfortable situation and I learned. 4 vs. 4 smash is what separates the men/women from the itty bitty babes that need to be coddled and have their hands held.

3 vs. 3 in capture the flag might be acceptable, however.

Top Bottom