• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Masahiro Sakurai chose Robin

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
[/quote]Don't forget that, too. Robin CAN have blue hair, and probably will have that as a recolor option. :D[/quote]

All I want now is Robin customazation, like in Awakening. It doesn't seems too likely, but we already have Miis, and they have things tne can wear too, so it doesn't seem all unlikely with Miis in mind, considering all the Miis you can make and how different they can be.

Hong

The Strongest
Has this thread gone past it's topic of Sakurai/Smash relation? If so it should be getting closed, if not, you guys should be moving into the social thread.
For those who have missed it.

DLC design discussion and Mark/Morgan theorizing has been moved to the social thread. Yeah, I'm lenient, but over 50 posts that are absolutely irrelevant to the article or Sakurai's design intentions is a bit much.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Sakurai chose Robin for basically the same reason I told my friends months ago the Avatar would make a great addition.

And yeah, still hoping for save-data transfer to turn Robin into myself.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Sakurai chose Robin for basically the same reason I told my friends months ago the Avatar would make a great addition.

And yeah, still hoping for save-data transfer to turn Robin into myself.
I don't know how they would do that, since the save data is usually saved on the cartridge of the game. Though I admit I'd want that big time myself.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I don't know how they would do that, since the save data is usually saved on the cartridge of the game. Though I admit I'd want that big time myself.
Isn't the Avatar required for Streetpass? Could use that data, since it doesn't require the cart. (I got the game pre-downloaded on my Awakening 3DS, completely forgot the data would be cart-saved)

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Isn't the Avatar required for Streetpass? Could use that data, since it doesn't require the cart. (I got the game pre-downloaded on my Awakening 3DS, completely forgot the data would be cart-saved)
I have it downloaded too, truth be told. Its' a game I take and play with me everywhere, but I try not to forget most people play it on cartridge (My gf and best friends included), but the part about streetpass is a good observation. I'm just not sure that making streetpass affect smash from fire emblem awakening would work that way. The programming is beyond me.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
I also have it downloaded but for those who only have a cartridge save you can still copy the save data to an SD card then transfer it. I obviously don't know how this hypothetical transfer would occur, but it seems that having the data on your SD card would make it pretty easy. I doubt that you will be able to transfer your Robin in though, considering that would require them to make a new model for each build and hairstyle, 3x5 for a total of 15, then double it for all the female Robins. It would be cool if there were some way, but it just seems farfetched. It would be cool if there was some kind of bonus for having FE:A save data though. Extra artwork or "secret" conversations or something.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I also have it downloaded but for those who only have a cartridge save you can still copy the save data to an SD card then transfer it. I obviously don't know how this hypothetical transfer would occur, but it seems that having the data on your SD card would make it pretty easy. I doubt that you will be able to transfer your Robin in though, considering that would require them to make a new model for each build and hairstyle, 3x5 for a total of 15, then double it for all the female Robins. It would be cool if there were some way, but it just seems farfetched. It would be cool if there was some kind of bonus for having FE:A save data though. Extra artwork or "secret" conversations or something.
Bonus Trophies isn't unprecedented.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Build would probably have to stay static since that would affect height and weight, and thus balance. But rendering extra hairstyles and facial expressions probably wouldn't be THAT much work.

But of course, all just extra icing on the best cake ever.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
i wa shoping Sakuria would've seen Chrom as a challenge. as in "they think i can't make a moveset for him? foools... i'll show them why i am in charge of this ****" *makes awesome moveset for Chrom*

I think Chrom would've ended up as a much more "fun" character; and it was an excellent opportunity to bring back Roy's Glass cannon gameplay. *sigh*

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
i wa shoping Sakuria would've seen Chrom as a challenge. as in "they think i can't make a moveset for him? foools... i'll show them why i am in charge of this ****" *makes awesome moveset for Chrom*

I think Chrom would've ended up as a much more "fun" character; and it was an excellent opportunity to bring back Roy's Glass cannon gameplay. *sigh*
"Fun" is a pretty subjective idea. A lot of people, myself included, would say that Robin would be more fun due to his/her unique mechanics and abilities that present a challenge to the player while rewarding tactical play with very potent attacks. But again, that's all subjective; neither character can definitively be more "fun" than the other.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice

He doesn't have to make Chrom with an original moveset, he just has to make Chrom a "Top/High Tier" and you'll see A LOT of people maining him.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
"Fun" is a pretty subjective idea. A lot of people, myself included, would say that Robin would be more fun due to his/her unique mechanics and abilities that present a challenge to the player while rewarding tactical play with very potent attacks. But again, that's all subjective; neither character can definitively be more "fun" than the other.

it's pretty obvious that fun cannot be objective, especially in a sentence started with "i think". But i'm mainly going by analysing what people seem to think of characters in our previous games.

generally, AKA not everyone before you bash me, people like Simple stuff over complicated stuff in smash. it's why you see more Ikes around and fewer Olimars or IC in casual play. Of course, it's not impossible for our hypothetical Chrom to be complex, i personally think that's not the way Sakurai would go with him, but eh.

i guarantee you Mac, who is arguably the simplest newcomer (or at least top 3, only rivaled by Pac and WFT) in this game that isn't a clone, will be the most popular guy around. Being powerful and fast are also good bonuses for him; makes people have a bigger sense of empowerment (whereas with balanced or Defensive characters that comes in smaller bits). Being simple (AKA not having to worry about micromanagement and wonky special) is also a big thing. again, i personally think that's the way Sakurai would go with Chrom, but i could only hope.

both Robin and an hypothetical Chrom, i'm pretty sure power wouldn't be a problem.

He doesn't have to make Chrom with an original moveset, he just has to make Chrom a "Top/High Tier" and you'll see A LOT of people maining him.
in the competitive scene, yeah, sure. outside of that; that logic only really holds if Chrom is decisively overpowered even on simpler levels of play like Meta Knight was.

i mean, look at brawl's top tiers. Most low-level players would look at the top 10 and say MK, Snake, Marth (and maybe Falco) are the only good ones there, and question why Kirby and Ike aren't high up as well.

I think that for a character to be popular in smash, they need

a) A simple moveset that's easy to understand at a first glance and it's not intimidating (like seeing Olimar's pikmin and think "man, when do i use each type?" even if it rarely matters in lower levels)
b) Be focused on speed or Power. Preferably both
c) Look cool. Bonus points if they look heroci or at least neutral (villains don't seem to be much popular)

having a following outside of smash also helps. not always, as seen by Charizard; but i guarantee you that's what will save Rosalina from being under-used.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
Robin seems to be pretty popular for a newcomer. The kicker? Not a lot people have even played Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Robin seems to be pretty popular for a newcomer. The kicker? Not a lot people have even played Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Where did you get the "not a lot have played Awakening data"? I'm pretty sure it's the best selling game in the series, and was considered almost unanimously to be the best game on the 3DS for a year.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
Where did you get the "not a lot have played Awakening data"? I'm pretty sure it's the best selling game in the series, and was considered almost unanimously to be the best game on the 3DS for a year.
Which got overshadowed by "Link Between Worlds" in case if anyone was wondering why didn't FE:A win any best 3DS GOTY 2013. Also the general reaction of Robin's reveal trailer on youtube was "Who's Robin?" and "That's not Shulk!"

Kamikam70

Smash Cadet
Which got overshadowed by "Link Between Worlds" in case if anyone was wondering why didn't FE:A win any best 3DS GOTY 2013. Also the general reaction of Robin's reveal trailer on youtube was "Who's Robin?" and "That's not Shulk!"
Sadly, that's true. Oh ,and "That's not Ridley !" and "That's not Mewtwo !", too. --'

Anyway, Sakurai gave really good reasons, and I'm glad of his choices. Also, we can see Chrom in Robin's FS, in Robin's victory pose, as a trophy, and there is a lot of Awakening cameos as well (all of Lucina's swaps, Ike's Priam swap, lots of trophies), so I'm all okay with it. Robin will fight for Chrom !

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
...Chrom is a better character than Robin. Yeah that's right! Seriously, Chrom is a character that grows and has emotional deficiencies in the game. He's not invincible, though he tries to act like he is for his friends (obligatory I Fight for My friends joke).

Does Chrom suffer from stereotypes? Yes of course. But Robin does too.
Luke Robin I am your Father!!!! NOOOOOO!
He's got the amnesiac thing going on, and all he needs to be a classic anime bookworm is a pair of glasses that he pushes up during dramatic revelations/confrontations. The reasons Robin was chosen over Chrom are:
1) Because he has a much more interesting moveset potential.
2) The avatar looks to be one of very few recurring characters in the FE universe, so he won't be old news for smash 5 like Chrom is likely to be.

And while I'm at it, I really don't get why people hate on Chrom so much, but love Lucina. She is so bland, so boring, and a real downer. Any time she gets into a conversation about anything (literally anything) she just starts talking about how crappy her future was.

Example Manuscript: This actually happened.
Robin: Wow those are pretty flowers. Don't you think so Lucina?
Lucina: Yes. *Gets sad look on face* I just wish we had flowers like that in my future.

Seriously. Robin makes a comment about flowers, and she just plays the crappy future card. Again.
Robin is no doubt the better choice for a smash character. Chrom just can't compare in that respect. But it has nothing to do with the strength of their characters. Please understand.
I hope I was able to tip the scales of your hearts.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
...Chrom is a better character than Robin. Yeah that's right! Seriously, Chrom is a character that grows and has emotional deficiencies in the game. He's not invincible, though he tries to act like he is for his friends (obligatory I Fight for My friends joke).

He's got the amnesiac thing going on, and all he needs to be a classic anime bookworm is a pair of glasses that he pushes up during dramatic revelations/confrontations. The reasons Robin was chosen over Chrom are:
2) The avatar looks to be one of very few recurring characters in the FE universe, so he won't be old news for smash 5 like Chrom is likely to be.

And while I'm at it, I really don't get why people hate on Chrom so much, but love Lucina. She is so bland, so boring, and a real downer. Any time she gets into a conversation about anything (literally anything) she just starts talking about how crappy her future was.

Lucina: Yes. *Gets sad look on face* I just wish we had flowers like that in my future.

Seriously. Robin makes a comment about flowers, and she just plays the crappy future card. Again.
Robin is no doubt the better choice for a smash character. Chrom just can't compare in that respect. But it has nothing to do with the strength of their characters. Please understand.
While I agree that Robin is the better choice for Smash for the reasons you described... Is Chrom really the better character compared to Robin? Both Chrom and Robin are characters, each with their own set of flaws, that grow together throughout the game. So, in your opinion, what exactly makes Chrom the superior character?

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
While I agree that Robin is the better choice for Smash for the reasons you described... Is Chrom really the better character compared to Robin? Both Chrom and Robin are characters, each with their own set of flaws, that grow together throughout the game. So, in your opinion, what exactly makes Chrom the superior character?
Mainly because of the awesome cutscenes I guess. Chrom's line
"You deserved more from me than one sword and a world of troubles", gets me every time. Chrom doesn't even know this random girl (Lucina), but he sees that she's hurting, and just gives her a shoulder to cry on without even questioning anything.
Robin has some pretty good quotes, but nothing that makes emotional impact for me personally. Also
In the scene where Emmeryn dies, I really feel for Chrom and Lissa's loss, and there's never really any scene that makes me feel that for Robin. The most emotional scene for me involving Robin is when Robin is Lucina's mom, and Lucina makes the decision to kill her to protect Chrom. But Chrom just diffuses it so it doesn't really amount to much.

Also it could partly have to do with the fact that "I'm Robin". Basically I'm putting myself in the avatar's shoes, so maybe his characterization has less effect on me.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Mainly because of the awesome cutscenes I guess. Chrom's line
"You deserved more from me than one sword and a world of troubles", gets me every time. Chrom doesn't even know this random girl (Lucina), but he sees that she's hurting, and just gives her a shoulder to cry on without even questioning anything.
Robin has some pretty good quotes, but nothing that makes emotional impact for me personally. Also
In the scene where Emmeryn dies, I really feel for Chrom and Lissa's loss, and there's never really any scene that makes me feel that for Robin. The most emotional scene for me involving Robin is when Robin is Lucina's mom, and Lucina makes the decision to kill her to protect Chrom. But Chrom just diffuses it so it doesn't really amount to much.

Also it could partly have to do with the fact that "I'm Robin". Basically I'm putting myself in the avatar's shoes, so maybe his characterization has less effect on me.
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I suppose Chrom does have a few more emotional moments than Robin does (that's probably because, unlike Robin, Chrom has an actual family that plays an important part in the storyline). Though I think Robin has some emotional moments as well; the "Lucina's judgement" and the Id ~ Return scenes are ones that I personally find rather moving.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I suppose Chrom does have a few more emotional moments than Robin does (that's probably because, unlike Robin, Chrom has an actual family that plays an important part in the storyline). Though I think Robin has some emotional moments as well; the "Lucina's judgement" and the Id ~ Return scenes are ones that I personally find rather moving.
If you are female Robin married to Chrom, you have a family; in fact, it is the same family. :troll:

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Personally I found the Return scene to be a little cheesy. POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!!!! But that is a pretty major theme through the game so it's pretty fitting, even if it didn't appeal to me personally.
Most memorable Robin line for me:
Just sounds really cool.

Male Robin married to Lucina. Same family, though different relation to them. Papa Chrom and Aunt Lissa.
I think you meant to say Papi Chrom.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Side note- I didn't know that you could get names that long in the game. Cool.

Concerning Lucina, I'm okay with her whole "for the future" part. As a human, you talk about what you know. She had an entire life of suffering and running from Risen, so that's what she knows best. Yeah, she's been in the past for two years, but that's not nearly enough time to stop marveling at the beauty that surrounds her. Maybe she hadn't seen those flowers before, which could explain why she was so stricken by them and how they completely contrast her life. She's an interesting character in other regards, like being undyingly noble and loyal and it's especially fun to see her goofy side shine through sometimes when she puts down her metaphorical mask. The Emmeryn dress? The roach? Pointy Demonspanker? Shouting battle lines with Cynthia?

Then again, this is all side story and not true character in terms of overall plot. In terms of plot, Chrom obviously does have the most change and it's fun to see him grow. However, the supports make both Robin and Lucina shine as characters in ways that Chrom doesn't and you don't see that if you neglect the supports. I still love Chrom and he has his moments (any time Frederick is mentioned and his nude moments), but overall, Robin and Lucina are naturally funnier in the supports.

All in all, all three of them are fine characters that excel in their own ways

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Ya the Emmeryn dress is pretty hilarious, but Lucina is still pretty meh for me even with her supports. I like the child characters more in general than the 1st gen characters, but Lucina would be pretty near the bottom of the child characters. Owain, Cynthia, Morgan, Severa, Inigo, and Nah are all characters that have little quirks that make me laugh, where with Lucina she has occasional good moments but most of the time is kinda depressing. Which is fine, because if every character was comedic, then the game would be really annoying. Her style just doesn't really appeal to me. She's cool, and I'm really happy that she is in Smash, but coolness can only take you so far.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

I have to agree with this. Robin was my single most wanted newcomer for Smash due to moveset potential, but character wise I feel Chrom is a lot more interesting. Robin feels a bit too cliché for my taste and doesn't have the crutch of being over the top that the secondary characters have while Chrom hits just the right notes personality wise and has enough emotional moments to make him interesting and relatable as a protagonist. The plot being poor and reflecting poorly on him is probably the big thing that stops him from being my favorite lord over Ike.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I have to agree with this. Robin was my single most wanted newcomer for Smash due to moveset potential, but character wise I feel Chrom is a lot more interesting. Robin feels a bit too cliché for my taste and doesn't have the crutch of being over the top that the secondary characters have while Chrom hits just the right notes personality wise and has enough emotional moments to make him interesting and relatable as a protagonist. The plot being poor and reflecting poorly on him is probably the big thing that stops him from being my favorite lord over Ike.
Though you could make the argument that Robin is a better character than most of the cast due to not being based around some sort of over-the-top trait like the other characters. Robin has defining characteristics, yet those characteristics don't make up 90% of his/her personality, a problem that a lot of Awakening characters have. While that may make Robin less amusing than those over-the-top characters, it may make him/her the most realistic character in the game.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Though you could make the argument that Robin is a better character than most of the cast due to not being based around some sort of over-the-top trait like the other characters. Robin has defining characteristics, yet those characteristics don't make up 90% of his/her personality, a problem that a lot of Awakening characters have. While that may make Robin less amusing than those over-the-top characters, it may make him/her the most realistic character in the game.
True, I'd like Robin a lot less if he/she was as over the top as most of the cast. I just feel the quirkiness and over the top nature of most of the cast compensates for their clichés while Robin doesn't have much of anything that makes up for his besides his friendship with Chrom.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I wouldn't be surprised if Chrom supporters are still slapping themselves in the face that he wasn't confirmed playable in the game. And based on what Sakurai has stated for his reason to include Robin and Lucina as fighters over him, I completely agree 100%. I will admit that I was not expecting Robin to be playable in the Smash Bros. games but after seeing his/her reveal trailer and showing off what he/she can do, I was like "Damn, that's some amazing stuff right there!" He/she does have a lot more potential in their movesets than Chrom...and the thought of using their default designs before customizing them when you start a new game in Awakening never occurred to me. Lucina on the other hand, whom I'm most excited to see...well...that's just it even though she plays similar to Marth but I really don't care. It was either gonna her or Chrom that I would like to see playable, so it wouldn't matter to me which of the two would make it so long as I see one of them.

Aside from that, its really nice to have a Fire Emblem rep who's not only a swordsman but also who knows magic and such. That just clearly shows that the franchise isn't just about some blue-haired swordsmen (or red) who...well...uses swords fighting to restore peace for their kingdom; there are also mages, dark mages, archers, horsemen, flyers, shape shifters, etc. involved. A lesson those who never played a Fire Emblem game before should know about...which makes me wonder; do any of those Chrom supporters even played Awakening before or even know who he is?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wouldn't be surprised if Chrom supporters are still slapping themselves in the face that he wasn't confirmed playable in the game. And based on what Sakurai has stated for his reason to include Robin and Lucina as fighters over him, I completely agree 100%. I will admit that I was not expecting Robin to be playable in the Smash Bros. games but after seeing his/her reveal trailer and showing off what he/she can do, I was like "Damn, that's some amazing stuff right there!" He/she does have a lot more potential in their movesets than Chrom...and the thought of using their default designs before customizing them when you start a new game in Awakening never occurred to me. Lucina on the other hand, whom I'm most excited to see...well...that's just it even though she plays similar to Marth but I really don't care. It was either gonna her or Chrom that I would like to see playable, so it wouldn't matter to me which of the two would make it so long as I see one of them.

Aside from that, its really nice to have a Fire Emblem rep who's not only a swordsman but also who knows magic and such. That just clearly shows that the franchise isn't just about some blue-haired swordsmen (or red) who...well...uses swords fighting to restore peace for their kingdom; there are also mages, dark mages, archers, horsemen, flyers, shape shifters, etc. involved. A lesson those who never played a Fire Emblem game before should know about...which makes me wonder; do any of those Chrom supporters even played Awakening before or even know who he is?
Yes, a decent portion of them have, Opossum is the most notable who actually really liked Chrom in Awakening. The grand majority did not, though, they just saw him as an FE rep and jumped on him for that. Many of them jumped ship after Robin's reveal.

As for Robin being based on the default designs, I fully expected that, honestly. I never played Awakening myself, but I jumped on the Robin bandwagon wanting something more than just another sword user, and at first I just wanted a magic user in general. Eventually I settled on Robin after joining Smashboards and learning that Robin isn't just an avatar but a character with his/her own personality and backstory.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
...which makes me wonder; do any of those Chrom supporters even played Awakening before or even know who he is?
A fair number of them have; however, a large number of Chrom supporters were people who just thought Chrom was inevitable/didn't even know about Robin (there are a lot of people who haven't played Awakening who know who Chrom and Lucina are, yet do not know who Robin is). After Robin's reveal and Chrom's disconfirmation, there really weren't a lot of Chrom supporters left who were actually upset about it. Most of them just abandoned ship and jumped on board the Robin hype train.

I never played Awakening myself
You should probably fix that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
A fair number of them have; however, a large number of Chrom supporters were people who just thought Chrom was inevitable/didn't even know about Robin (there are a lot of people who haven't played Awakening who know who Chrom and Lucina are, yet do not know who Robin is). After Robin's reveal and Chrom's disconfirmation, there really weren't a lot of Chrom supporters left who were actually upset about it. Most of them just abandoned ship and jumped on board the Robin hype train.

You should probably fix that.
Again, lack of 3DS. My wife is planning to get a new 3DS next year, so we'll probably get Awakening after that point.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
....which makes me wonder; do any of those Chrom supporters even played Awakening before or even know who he is?
I really feel for Chrom's supporters who legitimately like him- I like Chrom a lot and am a little sad that we can't play as him. Still, I really have little patience/sympathy for those who just wanted him in because of Gematsu. I wasn't part of Smashboards until post-Robin reveal, and I hear that Chrom supporters were a bit more sensible, but when I was on GameFAQs, lots of people bad-mouthed Robin, saying that he wasn't the main character and that Chrom just made sense. However, Chrom is a good character and doesn't quite deserve all of the hate that he's gotten (but all of the memes about him are pretty funny).

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I really feel for Chrom's supporters who legitimately like him- I like Chrom a lot and am a little sad that we can't play as him. Still, I really have little patience/sympathy for those who just wanted him in because of Gematsu. I wasn't part of Smashboards until post-Robin reveal, and I hear that Chrom supporters were a bit more sensible, but when I was on GameFAQs, lots of people bad-mouthed Robin, saying that he wasn't the main character and that Chrom just made sense. However, Chrom is a good character and doesn't quite deserve all of the hate that he's gotten (but all of the memes about him are pretty funny).
Falcon Punched off the roster. It's probably what happened to Ridley, but they chose not to show that as it would cause too many salty tears among the fans. :joyful:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
A bit more sensible, perhaps. But back then, Gematsu was pretty much the law. If you so much as questioned it being 100% accurate, you were "in denial." Most Chrom supporters took the Gematsu leak as a confirmation of Chrom, and even before the leak most people were certain that Chrom was one of the most likely newcomers in general, and Robin was so quickly dismissed due to completely arbitrary reasons ("My Unit's just an avatar!" "Only Lords can get in Smash!" "If you're not on the box art, you aren't getting in."). It left little room for Robin supporters...

And yet despite that, Robin support only continued to grow as time went on, blossoming into a wonderful community brought together by the impossible dream we all shared. It's hard to describe the joy we felt when that dream was realized. :)

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
A bit more sensible, perhaps. But back then, Gematsu was pretty much the law. If you so much as questioned it being 100% accurate, you were "in denial." Most Chrom supporters took the Gematsu leak as a confirmation of Chrom, and even before the leak most people were certain that Chrom was one of the most likely newcomers in general, and Robin was so quickly dismissed due to completely arbitrary reasons ("My Unit's just an avatar!" "Only Lords can get in Smash!" "If you're not on the box art, you aren't getting in."). It left little room for Robin supporters...

And yet despite that, Robin support only continued to grow as time went on, blossoming into a wonderful community brought together by the impossible dream we all shared. It's hard to describe the joy we felt when that dream was realized. :)
Exactly- I wish that I had been here for the reveal! That would have been fantastic!

I really hope that Robin gains a lot of fans. It's great to see that he's one of the most anticipated newcomers, but he's got one roadblock still in his way- people actually playing as him. He's good in the sense that you don't need to be super skilled to use him when you pick up the game, but he has a steep learning curve if you want to get better as him. Even a massively hyped fan like me was a little turned off when I couldn't play as him all that well and was doing much better with Pittoo and Lucina. Still, I'm persevering and suddenly today I had an Awakening of something inside of me and I've been on a Robin win streak. Hopefully people will stick with Robin long enough to figure out how great he is!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Exactly- I wish that I had been here for the reveal! That would have been fantastic!

I really hope that Robin gains a lot of fans. It's great to see that he's one of the most anticipated newcomers, but he's got one roadblock still in his way- people actually playing as him. He's good in the sense that you don't need to be super skilled to use him when you pick up the game, but he has a steep learning curve if you want to get better as him. Even a massively hyped fan like me was a little turned off when I couldn't play as him all that well and was doing much better with Pittoo and Lucina. Still, I'm persevering and suddenly today I had an Awakening of something inside of me and I've been on a Robin win streak. Hopefully people will stick with Robin long enough to figure out how great he is!
As someone who absolutely enjoyed playing Awakening a lot, it wouldn't matter to me whether Chrom, Lucina or even Robin became Smash Bros. fighters or not so long as they still appear in the game in some way. At least it's a good thing Chrom is still in it even though as a part of Robin's final smash. It already seemed to me that Robin has already gained some new fans after his reveal.

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
I love Chrom, but nobody deserved to be in more then the other. Lucina has character more so then just being upset over her future. And that's basically the only thing she knows, so she kinda has a reason to be upset. So stop that. They're both amazing c:

Top Bottom