• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Masahiro Sakurai chose Robin

Hong

The Strongest
Translated from Famitsu:

We've just announced two new characters who will be joining the fray in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. One is Robin, the avatar from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and the other is Lucina, a swordswoman who plays an important role in the same title. I'll skip over the details.

"What? Not Chrom!?" I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular, being the protagonist of FE:A and all. However, I chose Robin and Lucina, and I will elaborate on my reasoning.

Robin appears in the game as a Tactician and functions much like a Mystic Knight (note: FF terminology, but equivalent to magic swordsman). I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.

His neutral special is thunder magic that grows stronger the larger you charge it. He uses fire magic for his side special, and wind magic for recovery as his up special. Although Robin doesn't use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn't the first time I've given moves to a character that they don't use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.

I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time.

Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I'm sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical. However, what sets Lucina apart is the fact that the strength of her attacks is uniform along the blade. Marth's playstyle emulates the elegant swordplay of a fencer by dealing more damage when he strikes with the tip of his blade, but the damage Lucina deals is evened out. Thus, I think that Lucina will be much easier than Marth for novice players to play with.

I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means. At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.

Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!

In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games.

Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

--- End translation ---
Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121384840&postcount=8201

Makes sense from the column, too. Basically he felt the same way as Robin supporters in the respects he is more immediately appealing.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm extremely impressed with Sakurai that he made such a good decision. I'm also glad we at least got one character with the badass Awakening Falchion in the game.

I hope he sees the same potential in Shulk, because he clearly did alot of thinking about Robin!

Very impressive, but I can't help but feel for the hardcore Chrom fans (I just want to give Oppo a big hug :sadsheep: because Sakurai basically slapped them with his developer glove filled with the same arguments they've been defending against for over a year now.

Aww man...

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I think I'm most impressed by the fact he played through Awakening. I got bad feelings about his experience with the series, since Ike didn't feel right in Brawl at all. It felt like he was only familiar with the early games in the series, and I was afraid any newcomers would just end up being the next Ike.

But his love for the game breathes in every aspect of Robin, the character announcement, and Arena Ferox. :)

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Wow. This actually tells us a hell of a lot of what Sakurai prioritizes and thinks about when designing the game.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means. At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.
Gwahahahahahahahaha. I was ****ing right.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Glad to hear Sakurai is the man I think he is. He made the right choices for the right reasons.

I do find it odd that Ignis wasn't included (especially since Sakurai played Awakening). But I suppose the Levin Sword constantly being imbued with electricity (rather than only launching it) is similar in concept. Ignis shouldn't have to be fire.

Gwahahahahahahahaha. I was ****ing right.
You and just about every other Robin supporter. Not really much of an accomplishment.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Wow Sakurai is harsh. Thanks for sharing this though. You should probably put a link to this in the Chrom supporters thread if you haven't already so we don't get our hopes up for character slot DLC Chrom. RIP Chrom... again.

Edit: Nvm, Opposum saw the news. Such pain.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I think Fire Emblem is Sakurai's favorite Nintendo series. After all, his love for the franchise has shaped how Fire Emblem has become a global franchise with ever growing popularity. I mean, if it weren't for Sakurai putting Roy and Marth in Melee, who knows where FE would be right now? I honestly think Sakurai likes Fire Emblem more than even his own franchises, and I think he gives it special care and attention.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You and just about every other Robin supporter. Not really much of an accomplishment.
Most other Robin supporters still had their doubts.

And I'm not even talking about Robin getting into the game.

I'm talking about why Robin got in.

Before Robin's reveal, despite Gematsu, I was saying that Robin was way more likely then Chrom for pretty much the same reasons Sakurai stated there.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
They've been discussing this in the Chrom thread, but aren't going to give up hope.

I mean I know Lucina says hope will never die, but I just can't think that's wise here...

...I mean I guess I can say that, though, because I already got the perfect Fire Emblem cast with this game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Before Robin's reveal, despite Gematsu, I was saying that Robin was way more likely then Chrom for pretty much the same reasons Sakurai stated there.
I had no doubt Robin was the better pick, and before E3 I was dead-set on believing Robin WAS going to get in over Chrom. After E3 I changed it to "Robin has a very GOOD chance of getting in over Chrom, but I'm not fully confident yet."

Either way, this article confirms that Ike was never planned to be cut, and Chrom was never put into development as a playable character. Exactly as I thought. Chrom was only briefly considered, which we basically knew. (No, he wasn't cut mid-development, anyone suggesting this is trying to put their own interpretation on Sakurai's words.)

As for Lucina, she's 100% identical to Marth except she doesn't fight with the tip of her blade. She doesn't even have different stats, so anyone worried about Marth being nerfed doesn't need to.

They've been discussing this in the Chrom thread, but aren't going to give up hope.

I mean I know Lucina says hope will never die, but I just can't think that's wise here...

...I mean I guess I can say that, though, because I already got the perfect Fire Emblem cast with this game.
I read it. Opossum seems to think that Chrom was cut mid-development... which Sakurai never once said. Chrom wasn't even on the final roster before development began. Which puts a huge whole onto the theory that the Gematsu leak was merely "outdated information." It couldn't have been outdated because Chrom was never on the roster.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
In regard to my earlier comment about Ignis, I noticed that in today's POTD and the trailer Robin used an Levin Sword Aerial imbued with not only lightning but darkness effects as well whilst her time was purple. Perhaps the equipped time will add extra effects as an homage to Ignis.

Pretty much the thoughts of Robin's support topic in a nutshell. We thought she was more likely because of that, but we were reasonable. Most of us though Chrom had a bigger chance despite that. (But that is the reason to expect Robin over Chrom and the biggest reason to want Robin over Chrom.)

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I still think it could've been a misunderstanding on the part of the leaker, who also never saw the actual Fire Emblem characters. I'd like to think the other parts of the leak are sound, but we now know it's not the end-all-be-all. (Call it a hopeful bias, because of who my other most wanted newcomer is.) I mean, some stuff was just too close to be coincidental. But I guess this isn't the Gematsu thread

So yeah. Sakurai made an amazing choice, and finally gave Fire Emblem some diverse representation. Excellent.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
In regard to my earlier comment about Ignis, I noticed that in today's POTD and the trailer Robin used an Levin Sword Aerial imbued with not only lightning but darkness effects as well whilst her time was purple. Perhaps the equipped time will add extra effects as an homage to Ignis.

Pretty much the thoughts of Robin's support topic in a nutshell. We thought she was more likely because of that, but we were reasonable. Most of us though Chrom had a bigger chance despite that. (But that is the reason to expect Robin over Chrom and the biggest reason to want Robin over Chrom.)
Biggest? There's so many reasons we can't even discuss them all at once! Robin is almost the antithesis of everything Chrom would've brought, the only similarity being sword-wielding, but Robin's got a magic sword, so it almost doesn't matter!

...I'm still so hype.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Not from what I saw lol.
I... Don't know when you visited, but it was a much sleepier topic prior to Ike's reveal. After which about 20 more users began to frequent it and it grew about 80 pages in a month or so. I can't speak for all of those users or those pages, but prior it was like that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I definitely appreciate Sakurai for giving Robin a magic sword as well. I thought that would be a good idea, I just wasn't sure how it'd work, or which he'd pick. Simply giving Robin a sword isn't the best solution because as a magic s/he'd probably want something else, so a magic sword! And making it thunder element was a good idea, too.

I... Don't know when you visited, but it was a much sleepier topic prior to Ike's reveal. After which about 20 more users began to frequent it and it grew about 80 pages in a month or so. I can't speak for all of those users or those pages, but prior it was like that.
Ike's reveal REALLY sealed the deal on many people's opinions. Most thought Ike would be cut, but Sakurai never once planned to cut Ike as is clear as day (and I knew from day one).

And yeah, again, I was fully expecting Robin to have been picked over Chrom before E3, but it was "Mii Fighter" that killed it for me.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, this a rare occasion where Sakurai's train of thought matched ours. I'm glad.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I want to see Sakurai's reasoning for how he came to choose Rosalina over other potential Mario reps.
I assume it's something along similar lines, although this isn't really the place to discuss this, so I should probably stop.

I'm glad he seems to be sticking to his newfound philosophy with these newcomers, unless he finds a point where he can fit in an easy clone for a character people want to see but wouldn't otherwise make it.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I assume it's something along similar lines, although this isn't really the place to discuss this, so I should probably stop.

I'm glad he seems to be sticking to his newfound philosophy with these newcomers, unless he finds a point where he can fit in an easy clone for a character people want to see but wouldn't otherwise make it.
Yeah, I agree. I have grown more respect for this man. The decisions he has to make for this game... You don't have to like Masahiro Sakurai, but you gotta respect him. He will play through entire games just to get moveset ideas. He really does have a passion for Smash.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, reading this... I KNOW Sakurai knows what he's doing, now. When I thought it was just Chrom and Gematsu was likely gospel I thought all hope was lost.

Robin: "It'll be all right. Time to tip the scales of the Smash Bros. roster!"

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, reading this... I KNOW Sakurai knows what he's doing, now. When I thought it was just Chrom and Gematsu was likely gospel I thought all hope was lost.

Robin: "It'll be all right. Time to tip the scales of the Smash Bros. roster!"
He was definitely speaking to the speculation community, and not just to Lucina, there. :shades:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
As someone who wanted Chrom (Haven't played Awakening, it was legitimately mostly because I like Chrom's design more <:p>), I do applaud Sakurai for going for characters that even on the outside would inherently have a more original playstyle. However, even with Chrom there could've been so many little things to keep him from being "Blue-Haired Swordsman From Fire Emblem #4" like not just using Falchion and such.

For example, there was a fake leak a while back that had Chrom use Vulnerary as a special that could heal a great amount of damage of of him at the cost of only having 3 uses per stock/life, which I freaking loved. I myself had somewhat of an idea where Chrom actually had a promotion mechanic where filling an XP bar would promote Chrom from Lord to Great Lord, giving him different and more powerful moves for a limited time, kinda like if Little Mac's Power Meter gave him a buff instead of the Star Punch.

THAT SAID, WOW DID ROBIN TURN OUT BETTER THAN ANY OF MY IDEAS FOR CHROM EVER WOULD HAVE!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As someone who wanted Chrom (Haven't played Awakening, it legitimately mostly because I like Chrom's design more <:p>), I do applaud Sakurai for going for characters that even on the outside would inherently have a more original playstyle. However, even with Chrom there could've been so many little things to keep him from being "Blue-Haired Swordsman From Fire Emblem #4" like not just using Falchion and such.

For example, there was a fake leak a while back that had Chrom use Vulnerary as a special that could heal a great amount of damage of of him at the cost of only having 3 uses per stock/life, which I freaking loved. I myself had somewhat of an idea where Chrom actually had a promotion mechanic where filling an XP bar would promote Chrom from Lord to Great Lord, giving him different and more powerful moves for a limited time, kinda like if Little Mac's Power Meter gave him a buff instead of the Star Punch.

THAT SAID, WOW DID ROBIN TURN OUT BETTER THAN ANY OF MY IDEAS FOR CHROM EVER WOULD HAVE!
I'm sorry, but with characters with a defined moveset and signature weapon, Sakurai always makes them use their signature features. Yes, Chrom could've been given something different, but that wouldn't have been one of his defining attributes and wouldn't make sense. That's why he was skipped over.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
And people dare to say Sakurai isn't one of the most level-headed developers in the game industry.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And people dare to say Sakurai isn't one of the most level-headed developers in the game industry.
I'll admit, Sakurai put me in my place. I was thinking that he might not properly understand the fans and improperly represent the FE cast, but not anymore. I'm excited for what else he has in story.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
This actually gives me more hope for Isaac and Shulk, even though they're sword users they also have (and their games have) unique characteristics that set them apart.

It's reassuring to know Sakurai is thinking about bringing new ideas to smash Bros rather than churning out uninspired choices that happen to be really popular.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This actually gives me more hope for Isaac and Shulk, even though they're sword users they also have (and third games have) unique characteristics that set them apart.

It's reassuring to know Sakurai is thinking about bringing new ideas to smash Bros rather than churning out uninspired choices that happen to be really popular.
Exactly! Isaac and Shulk have a lot going for them in regards to unique movesets. Frankly, I'd much rather the two get announced together, even if it means we have less secret characters, because then no one would argue about Shulk leaving Isaac out or visa-versa.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
This actually gives me more hope for Isaac and Shulk, even though they're sword users they also have (and third games have) unique characteristics that set them apart.

True, it also gives me even more hope for Ridley, who would undoubtedly be an unique character. Same for Ghirahim. On the other hand, if one is hoping for a character who happens to be similar to any veteran in the Smash Bros series, they better put their expectations in check.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
True, it also gives me even more hope for Ridley, who would undoubtedly be an unique character. Same for Ghirahim. On the other hand, if one is hoping for a character who happens to be similar to any veteran in the Smash Bros series, they better put their expectations in check.
...But...But... My boy... must make his return!
Otherwise he will be sad.

And Ike will have no friends to fight for.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
...But...But... My boy... must make his return!
Otherwise he will be sad.

And Ike will have no friends to fight for.
We have confirmation that alternate skins CAN be other characters. Roy's Awakening DLC makes him a Hero. I think Roy might very well have been brought back as a skin of Ike. Yes, its not ideal, but at least Roy would be back, and hell, Ike could have a custom moveset based on some of Roy's old moves, so people could still get their old Roy back (not exactly, but closer).

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Another point of interest is that he says "even if two characters names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way I assign them as alternate costumes".

We don't have any characters quite like that yet, Villager, WFT and Robin may have different voices but they don't have different names.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Another point of interest is that he says "even if two characters names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way I assign them as alternate costumes".

We don't have any characters quite like that yet, Villager, WFT and Robin may have different voices but they don't have different names.
Exactly. Which means we probably CAN and WILL get alternate characters as skins. Lucina was only made a separate character because Sakurai decided she could have a slight difference Marth.

Folt

Smash Ace

I think he's saying that if he considered just putting in a character as an alternate costume (which Lucina was very close to ending up as), they wouldn't be different at all except for voices and names. From a gameplay standpoint, they'd be very identical. Lucina got a spot on the roster when Sakurai decided that Lucina would not get a tipper because that actually changes how she plays and where she may end up on a potential tier list, even if her moves are identical to Marth's.

EDIT: Oh, beaten to the punch.

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I'm just really hoping Lucina will have more differences than just the sword. Make her lighter or something. I don't want her to be more of a Marth than even Roy.

Top Bottom