• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is your main underrated?

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
Well I mean Lucina generally isn't really good but I'll just say Marth and Roy are there so people think she's worse than she actually is (yes I do think she's pretty bad compared to the rest of the roster though). As for Toon Link, I can't really say much since I don't really know too much about people's opinions about him. Why did I even reply?

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
:4robinm: is definitely an underrated fighter. Let us face it: Speed and mobility determines the meta game and being slow and unwieldy with so much end-lag is an unattractive trait. Robin players have to rely on wit against players not too familiar with his kit to win against speedy characters. The fact that Robin is even slower than Ganondorf on the ground is enough of a turn-off for many trying to show interest in him/her.

As mentioned: Good Robin players are RARE online. While Robin takes time to master(not as much as say, Ike), his punish game is strong - if he can even reach someone on the ground.

Vidilian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vidilian
Greninja is underrated because of the whole nerf greninja meme. Also I think most top players would opt to go for sheik for that archetype of character even though they have very different playstyles.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
:4wario:
I now think he's underrated, only mid tier in the official tier list. I think his neutral is underrated, everyone says it's bad but it's not if you're creative. Fart is ridiculous and has lots of confirms. Bite is the best command grab in the game and Bike is so versatile. Wario has an amazing set of aerials...overall very good tools. I think the character has dropped on the tier list because abadango is no longer using him, which is sad. With more representation I think he can crack top 15.

Last edited:

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
People seems to think that :4olimar: cannot be viable because he is not good and his campy style from Brawl no longer works in Smash 4.

But even though the space captain has lesser, weaker Pikmins which they sometime cannot obey him and die easily, Olimar can go even with most of the mid/low tier characters with new strategies he can pull off. Plus his new recovery can help him a lot more than the one from Brawl.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Not 100% sure who my main is yet, but I use :4cloud: and :4feroy: the most. Cloud is far, far from underrated. He has a lot of results already, and I see so many people use him at my locals it isn't even funny.

:4feroy: though, I don't know what to think of him. I would agree with the masses and say that he is mediocre or lower than average; I'm not afraid to say that my characters are bad. At the same time though, no one is using him. No one. How can we say that Roy is bad if no one has put any time in him? Majority of the characters in SSB4 have gotten results at some point in time, but I have yet to see any results with Roy. Due to his lack of results, I'd like to call him underrated, but it's possible that no one is using him because maybe he IS that bad. He has a similar structure to Marth and Lucina, characters who are also considered to be not very good. Heck, occasionally, I would see Roy ranked lower than Marcina due to his shorter range and other factors I can't recall at the moment.

In short, I would say that :4cloud: is the exact opposite of underrated, while I have no idea whether :4feroy: is underrated or not. Until he gets results, I'll conserve my judgement for Roy. As of now, I can't think of him as good or bad. He has a lot of good things going for him as well as a lot of bad things. It's possible that there is more stuff people can do with him, but until someone noteworthy picks him up, it's all theory at this point. :p

Last edited:

DirtyDa

Smash Rookie
The Pits are definitely underrated... Most of the smarter folk at least understand they're good at least, although not a lot of people use them. For whatever reason other people think he's a mid tier because "his frame data/recovery/combo game/landing ability/range is bad" when none of that's true in reality. They're jack-of-all-trades characters with no real weaknesses or flaws. They're even or better against the majority of the cast, and only three characters really give them trouble...
PREACH

CrispyKarp

Smash Rookie
NNID
Muscar
3DS FC
0404-7247-3657
:4ganondorf: for obvious reasons. He's usually considered the worst in the game because how terribly slow he is and how easy it is to juggle him. But he hits so hard I can usually deal with the speed loss, and you just have to read your opponent.

itsmeMOB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
itsmeMOB
Little Mac is underrated because a good Mac will KNOW how to control you in the neutral/ground game to where you won't have stage control. As soon as he can get stage control, it's game over. A mixture of speed and power with armored attacks, he is generally safe on shield and can eat through everything. Good Mac players even know how to mix in grabs and aerials to confuse the opponent and dominate on the ground, something very scary to see.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
i feel like people generally think of toon link as "that mid tier", even though he
can be devastating in high level play in the hands of a hyuga good player

Actually, now that I think about it, that goes for many other mid tiers!

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I think this is pretty much the one game where :4ness: is anything but underrated. My little buddy made it through so much to get to where he is now, I'm so proud.

:4lucas: is underrated however, which is a shame. I feel like he has a strong air game, some solid smash attacks, good grab range and a pretty good up-throw. I can see how :4ness: is considered to be better with combo potential, vicious smash attacks, and that ridiculous back throw, but I still like to cheer on :4lucas:, he's the character I wanted the most when I saw I didn't make the initial cut.

TheArcfire

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProfesorSanchez
:4robinf: Is very underrated seeing how there's only 2 top Robin mains (Razzaiek and Dath) Robin is very underrated and i see why. She's a slow keep-away character and not many people enjoy the keep away style and not just that but she's really really slow, like REALLY SLOW. Slower than :4ganondorf:.
Another character under-represented is :4greninja:

Cool Trainer Ace

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bleechwiiID
Now, I wouldn't say Cloud is underrated, but Dark Pit on the other hand...

He's pretty underrated. Sometimes I hear some pretty mean things tossed in his direction. I think it's just because people prefer Pit over Dark Pit, or they just find them too interchangeable to care.

Harmonious

Smash Cadet
:4metaknight: is severely underrated in this game. He's agile, well-rounded, has 2 moves that eat projectiles, a teleport, an insane combo game, and outstanding aerials. I suppose it's only fair though, Brawl's Meta Knight was incredibly OP.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
:4metaknight: is severely underrated in this game. He's agile, well-rounded, has 2 moves that eat projectiles, a teleport, an insane combo game, and outstanding aerials. I suppose it's only fair though, Brawl's Meta Knight was incredibly OP.
...have you been in the competitive scene recently? People have realized for a while that Meta Knight is still amazing in this game (after getting past him not being OP anymore), and he's consistently placed in the top 10 in many people's tier lists.

Harmonious

Smash Cadet
...have you been in the competitive scene recently? People have realized for a while that Meta Knight is still amazing in this game (after getting past him not being OP anymore), and he's consistently placed in the top 10 in many people's tier lists.
Nope. I suppose "underrused" was the better word choice, though.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Now, I wouldn't say Cloud is underrated, but Dark Pit on the other hand...

He's pretty underrated. Sometimes I hear some pretty mean things tossed in his direction. I think it's just because people prefer Pit over Dark Pit, or they just find them too interchangeable to care.
Most people are saying Dark Pit's better now, which I frankly find to be ridiculous but it's a lot better then this "lightweight, short ranged, garbage recovery" character people made them out to be before.

They're not really underrated anymore though.

Top Bottom