• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is there a stage edge?

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
ITT:

People ***** about a game they don't actually own yet and are making assumptions on its depth based on videos they are watching. I have yet to hear anyone that actually has proof they own the game complain about its depth.
You're missing the point entirely. I've said it before, it's not as if players simply haven't discovered the best ways to edgeguard. It's that recoveries are so broken (for all the reasons I posted about in this thread) that there IS no opportunity to edgeguard. Players recover from FAR offstage in a split second, easily and without even trying, in a manner that does not present even a hypothetical opportunity for edgeguarding. This is not something you need to play to understand. It is readily available by watching videos.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
You're missing the point entirely. I've said it before, it's not as if players simply haven't discovered the best ways to edgeguard. It's that recoveries are so broken (for all the reasons I posted about in this thread) that there IS no opportunity to edgeguard. Players recover from FAR offstage in a split second, easily and without even trying, in a manner that does not present even a hypothetical opportunity for edgeguarding. This is not something you need to play to understand. It is readily available by watching videos.
Predict their recovery (it's not that hard to do once you know how every char's recovery works) and punish them. It takes more thought that simply spamming your best edgeguard move or stealing the edge. -gasp-

Edgeguarding in the melee sense isn't as prominent.. This doesn't break the game competitively. e.e

tddavis

Smash Cadet
I think spiking will be more relied on now, its like how they gave lucas' back kick a spike to it. pushing them off the screen I feel just won't be as effective anymore. It will be about knocking them down so far they don't have the ability to recover.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Although it is good to debate these things, I feel people are coming to ridiculous conclusion too early into brawls life span. Give it some time.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Before anyone continues to complain about edge-guarding not being possible, watch Gimpyfish's latest video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wzwFYjPWrY
I personally agree that the magnet edges are unnecessary, but to rule out edge-guarding completely just means you're jumping to conclusions.
Hey wow! Mario edgeguarded off the platform multiple times! Good find man, maybe the edge game is less hopeless than I thought. (Being totally serious).

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
Before anyone continues to complain about edge-guarding not being possible, watch Gimpyfish's latest video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wzwFYjPWrY
I personally agree that the magnet edges are unnecessary, but to rule out edge-guarding completely just means you're jumping to conclusions.
I was about to link this myself. This is a prime example of how edge guarding will be in the future. Its silly to think that such techniques would have stayed the same in the transition from Melee to Brawl, much like the few techniques in SBB didn't transition to Melee.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
This is, again, one of the great aspects of the Smash series, edges. I hear ya on extending/changing the edges, but with the kind of edges that we have now, recovering would be even more important than it is now, degrading characters like Wario, and praising characters like Pit. What I'm saying, is that this gives the game more of a challenge, for better or worse. (If you know what I mean) :p

Edit: I know this sounds a little discombobulated, but bear with me.

Top Bottom